[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Wacky.ddw

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/05/06/umi-x2-turbo-to-be-released-with-updated-1-5ghz-mt6589t-chip-50000-available-from-15th-may/

This look very promissing! I wonder what would give the best performance 1.5ghz with 1gb ram or 1.2ghz with 2gb ram.

I am pretty sure that if jiayu doesnt release there advanced g4 before the umi gets released i will buy the umi. The turbo version is also cheaper...

Have you guys heard of the upcoming Mediatek MT6572?

http://www.slashgear...arket-02280230/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MediaTek-world-s-first-MT6572-dual-core-Cortex-A7,22400.html

Looks like a nice replacement for the MT6577. Integrated wifi, bluetooth, fm and gps all in 1 chip, dual core 1.2ghz cortex a7, supports 960x540 screens, plays 720p videos, records 720p video, can support 5mp cameras, is 28nm unlike their mt6577 which is 40nm, so better battery life. It supports HSPDA+ too. Looks like a very nice chip for low-mid range phones. Hopefully we might see uk phones with these for a decent price this year.

Edited by Guest

Guest tillaz

Hopefully we might see uk phones with these for a decent price this year.

i think its amazing that we have not seen phones like the G4 etc. been taken up by carriers in the UK,

just look at how successful the G300 / ZTE SKATE / ZTE BLADE have been...

if they where to offer a phone with the specs of the G4 for a little more than its retail price in china (999 yuan / £105).

say around £120, they would fly of the shelves,

Quad Core,

Android 4.2,

1GB RAM,

3000mAh Battery

720p OGS Display

Expandable Storage

if you want those specs in the UK your paying around £300+, which most people wont do... lol all we get in the UK, is ripped off :(

Guest bryfly

if they where to offer a phone with the specs of the G4 for a little more than its retail price in china (999 yuan / £105).

say around £120, they would fly of the shelves,

all we get in the UK, is ripped off :(

Agree, Great idea , but im sure our greedy retailers would ask £200 +........

Guest bryfly

The G4's build looks pretty cheap, i have to say :/

Must admit compared to the internal view of the g300 it does look like a prototype.........

Guest blaster99999

Just too main up and coming quad core phones to choice from, and why can't we buy the phones at the same price as the Chinese, really bugs me.

Guest Wacky.ddw

People are receiving there Jiayu G4's here is an unboxing from a black Jiayu :)

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest deuse

I just got the CXQ 7300 quad MTK6589 it's the same as the i2000 MTK6589 and the Changjiang N7300 MTK6589. 5.7 inch ips screen.

Everything works including the GPS and the wireless is N. I got from a UK seller on the bay.

And rooting it was very easy and it came with 4.2.1

Edited by deuse

Guest Wacky.ddw

Quote from mentoo

A nice day and good work!

Thanks for all your kindly support at Mentoo Mall.

Yesterday we got a upset news from our partner JIAYU manufacture, which declared that G4 advanced will be delayed to June because of the 2G RAM chips lack.

In view of the delay, if you are in a hurry, we recommend UMI X2, the most appropriate smart phone we have in stock right now.

And we can send a 32G TF card (21.85 USD) which makes UMI X2 more cost-effective than G4.

http://www.mentoo.co...mart-phone.html

5.0 Inch touch screen,MTK6589 1.2 GHz, Android 4.2.1, 16G ROM+1G RAM

http://www.mentoo.co...-tablet-pc.html

If you pay for the difference $41.99 for it, we will deliver them out promptly.

If you still want JIAYU G4, please wait for it at ease. We will update related news for you timely.

Thanks.

Since the UMI is getting the updated 1.5ghz cpu and has a 1080p display i might go for the UMI instaid im really really tired of waiting...

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest Rico_89

I'm starting to lean towards the UMI X2. The build quality and design seems much better. With the G4 the rocker buttons come off with the back case and that just spells disaster to me. Also the fit and finish on the UMI look a whole lot better.

However the one you linked to only has 1gb of ram, wouldn't you want the 2gb version?

Oh yeah what's going on with all the white phones in China lol ..why don't they push the black versions?

Guest PCTechRoss

I'm starting to lean towards the UMI X2. The build quality and design seems much better. With the G4 the rocker buttons come off with the back case and that just spells disaster to me. Also the fit and finish on the UMI look a whole lot better.

However the one you linked to only has 1gb of ram, wouldn't you want the 2gb version?

Oh yeah what's going on with all the white phones in China lol ..why don't they push the black versions?

Have you seen the UMI X2 Turbo?

1.5GHz Quad Core

Guest Wacky.ddw

Umi and Jiayu are both releasing there phones in june or juli due to lack of 2gb ram chips. So i will be taking the UMI x2 turbo 1gb version i guess

+ has 1080p display

+ has 1.5ghz quadcore

- doenst have 2GB ram

- only has 2500mah battery

This really sucks because i really waited this long for a 2GB ram unit there where 1gb for a long time. But if i go for the umi it has to be the turbo version! :)

Guest Rico_89

Here's an interesting video of the 1.2Ghz, 2gb ram version of the UMI X2 Versus the Samsung S3;

Notice how the games load twice as fast on the 2gb UMI.. and the screen is soo much better.

The funny thing is today a friend came over with his Galaxy S3, so I had a go, and I don't know what all the fuss is about. I didn't like the screen and I got it to lag slightly by going into the app drawer and back to the homescreen, a few times, and then swiped pretty fast, but still I think a quad core should have done better.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I think they have turned off video embedding.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest dbaseii

I have just broken my Jiayu G3 while trying to fix the gps problem. I now get "No Service"

I am now a bit wary of buying another Chinese phone in case I have gps problems again.

Is the gps problem just with mediatek chipsets?

Guest arranhs

Hi guys I'm looking for some advice.

I am definitely set on getting either the umi x2 or the jiayu g4. However I am wondering:

1. Talking mainly about the g4, Is 2gb of ram really necessary/ lany better than 1gg (possibly because most people never use that much or whatever)? What change will the extra 1gb of ram make to the phone or is it just a fad to make you pay more for the more expensive model. If does make a difference, is it worth the extra amount of money you would have to pay, since that looks like the only thing that is any better about the more expensive version as internal size is not an issue for me.

2. I see a lot of people split over the x2 and the g4 but this seems to be a only due to the recent delays the g4 is undergoing. Since, time is not a problem for me but money is more so, which would be the one you guys would suggest? Is the extra price for the x2 worth it, because is can't see that many advantages it has over the g4 (1080p screen ect) that justify the price (please let me know if I'm wrong on this). I know it is more of an opinion and there is already a topic poll on this, but I wanted to know your opinions in terms of their prices (mainly), in light of the g4 delays and the sudden large interest in the x2 etc.

3. Finally, which is probably the most likely to have custom rom's developed for because I normally hate stock roms?

Thanks for helping guys

Arran

Guest Colossae3.23

Hi guys I'm looking for some advice.

I am definitely set on getting either the umi x2 or the jiayu g4. However I am wondering:

1. Talking mainly about the g4, Is 2gb of ram really necessary/ lany better than 1gg (possibly because most people never use that much or whatever)? What change will the extra 1gb of ram make to the phone or is it just a fad to make you pay more for the more expensive model. If does make a difference, is it worth the extra amount of money you would have to pay, since that looks like the only thing that is any better about the more expensive version as internal size is not an issue for me.

2. I see a lot of people split over the x2 and the g4 but this seems to be a only due to the recent delays the g4 is undergoing. Since, time is not a problem for me but money is more so, which would be the one you guys would suggest? Is the extra price for the x2 worth it, because is can't see that many advantages it has over the g4 (1080p screen ect) that justify the price (please let me know if I'm wrong on this). I know it is more of an opinion and there is already a topic poll on this, but I wanted to know your opinions in terms of their prices (mainly), in light of the g4 delays and the sudden large interest in the x2 etc.

3. Finally, which is probably the most likely to have custom rom's developed for because I normally hate stock roms?

Thanks for helping guys

Arran

I'm no expert, and perhaps someone else will have better advice. But the extra GB of ram is always going to make the thing run faster. Whether it's worth the cost to you is another thing. I would think its the same principle that we apply to PC's. Basically, if you're doing graphic heavy stuff on it, or a huge amount of multitasking then you'll need more ram. (not sure about the latter, in an Android system, though) So, if you play games that use a lot of graphics, or anything else that uses a lot of graphics, then you'll need the extra ram. I don't play many games, so for me, I think that 512mb is ok and 1GB would be plenty.

I can't speak to your second question, but there is a comparison tool on gizchina now, so you can put the two phones side by side to find any differences. http://www.gizchina....chinese-phones/

Regarding roms my hunch is, in China, there will be custom rom's for both, . So, if you know where to look and how to deal with a Chinese rom you should be ok. (like you'll need to know how to add an English keyboard to start off). But, if you want a rom that is already sorted for an English user, your best bet would be to follow what Tillaz and Kyan are doing. Development is a hobby/passion for the both of them, so they are bound to customize and thus share, any work they do on the phone they end up buying

Hope that helps...

Edited by Colossae3.23

Guest bryfly

For the sake of argument thought I would ask, are Chinese imports still worth it ??

Looking at the prices for the umi x2 and the jiayu g4 inclusive of courier they have reached or are approaching £200. Take into account the problems if they go wrong and it brings me back to the title are Chinese imports worth it?

Surely there must be a UK supplied phone that would be a good bet around this price, even if not quad core?

Guest bryfly

You may even run into a single core phone around that price, if lucky...

:D

or Huawei G510 dual core for £130 :D to name but one...

Guest tillaz

lol, the "real" price of the G4 is only 999 yuan / £105, its the world wide retailers who are slapping on the extra...

its tempting me to take a little trip to china and buy a load of them, then re-sell in the uk for £120 :o haha