[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Wacky.ddw

since android uses a linux based kernel they are all "supposed" to release the kernel source under GPL, if not they can be reported for violation.

But unfortunately this is not always done... people like Samsung releasing incomplete source (Exynos) and others releasing none at all... :(

Ok i just did some googling on GPL it makes a little more sence now. But if they have to release it cant people sue them if they dont?

Also i didnt know that MIUI = Xiaomi so could the reason be that they dont release there sources that there ui could be ported? Because only releasing the kernel for the phone has nothing to do with the rom or root right?

And the jiayu g4 is nowhere to be seen and there is allready a custom rom and cmw :s

http://www.needrom.com/mobile/jiayu-g4/

Gizchina posted that there will be a turbo version of the g4 to.

Guest Rico_89

Update..........Merimobiles have found the missing paypal payment and updated my account to paid, also confirmed scheduled shipping date for the Vowney v5 is Wednesday and the Newman K1 is Thursday. fingers crossed.........so far really impressed with their efficiency

Awesome news..

I've been looking more closely at the Newman K1 and I don't think the 1gb version comes with a 13mp camera. It's listed everywhere else as an 8mp camera, and IMO that's a good thing because I downloaded some full HD pictures from Gizchina, that were taken with the UMI X2 and G4, and I think the G4 is punching above its weight with a 13mp camera. Also only merimobile has it listed with an OGS screen so it's probably just IPS.

Guest bryfly

Awesome news..

I've been looking more closely at the Newman K1 and I don't think the 1gb version comes with a 13mp camera. It's listed everywhere else as an 8mp camera, and IMO that's a good thing because I downloaded some full HD pictures from Gizchina, that were taken with the UMI X2 and G4, and I think the G4 is punching above its weight with a 13mp camera. Also only merimobile has it listed with an OGS screen so it's probably just IPS.

Defo only 8mp camera, as for OGS you maybe right but if you Google "Newman K1 OGS", lots of sites come up and say it has OGS.......

Anybody know how to tell if a mobile has OGS or not?, googled it and could not find away of telling..

Guest blaster99999

According to the info

https://www.dropbox....r5w/Capture.PNG

I see the phone advertised in many Russian forums. Thats why probably out of stock.

mine as also now been dispatched and I have a tracking number so should have in my hands in a few weeks, let me know how you get on, china to uk last time with my pandawill order took 3 weeks in total

Guest Rico_89

Defo only 8mp camera, as for OGS you maybe right but if you Google "Newman K1 OGS", lots of sites come up and say it has OGS.......

Anybody know how to tell if a mobile has OGS or not?, googled it and could not find away of telling..

If you translate Newman website regarding the K1 here ( I think this is the 1gb version) then there is not mention of OGS: http://www.newman.mobi/mobile/k1.html scroll all the way down after translating.

Could be lost in translation though..

Edited by Rico_89

Guest bryfly

M

If you translate Newman website regarding the K1 here ( I think this is the 1gb version) then there is not mention of OGS: http://www.newman.mobi/mobile/k1.html scroll all the way down after translating.

Could be lost in translation though..

Yes had spotted this on there web site but as you say could be lost in translation,

however for anybody interested merimobiles have reduced price of Vowney V5 to £120.39, if 5% vip discount still works, makes it £114.37.....not bad.

Guest akarana

Ok i just did some googling on GPL it makes a little more sence now. But if they have to release it cant people sue them if they dont?

Short answer, yes.

The real answer is longer, involves the small zillion developers contributing kernel source, where do they want to sue? Where are they legally able to sue? where was the allegedly infringing phone bought/sold? Is it financially worth their while to sue? In some cases EFF has succeeded with Cease & Desist letters. Obviously I can't speak for EFF, but somehow I don't think they have the heart for hunting Chinese Pirates in foreign seas.

Guest tillaz

M

Yes had spotted this on there web site but as you say could be lost in translation,

however for anybody interested merimobiles have reduced price of Vowney V5 to £120.39, if 5% vip discount still works, makes it £114.37.....not bad.

Thanks for the info, i might just get one... that price is hard to resist lol

Guest Rico_89

M

Just checked and you're wrong!!!! .......................Its gone down to £119.84.. lol holy crap.

Questions: How hard are these phones to root? Merimobiles have an option to "Root Firmware Install". Is it a good idea to let them root the phone? And what firmware are they talking about?

Thanks for any info.

The Jiayu G4 Turbo is in production:

http://www.gizchina....-turbo-mt6589t/

Sorry if this was already posted, I just can't be bothered to read all the posts :P

In "development", and they haven't even gone into full scale production of the standard G4 yet.. It's gonna be several weeks I fear for the general release.

Just checked and you're wrong!!!! .......................Its gone down to £119.84.. lol holy crap.

and if the 5% VIP discount doesn't work it is £117.49 on fastcardtech.

Guest bryfly

and if the 5% VIP discount doesn't work it is £117.49 on fastcardtech.

Correct but if you use paypal on fastcardtech they will charge 4.5% on top

Guest bryfly

Questions: How hard are these phones to root? Merimobiles have an option to "Root Firmware Install". Is it a good idea to let them root the phone? And what firmware are they talking about?

Thanks for any info.

Cant keep up with the price......lol

Re Root, tillaz recommended a few posts ago if you cannot find a root process then pay for it which is what I have done, as for firmware haven't got a clue...................

Guest blaster99999

only problem with merimobile is you can wait a while for your order to be dispatched, i ordered my second zte v970 and was told it was in stock on the 14 and 2/3 days dispatch , still showing awaiting filfillment so contacted them on chat and was told will be sent 20th , still showing awaiting filfillment today , so on chat again , i said can i cancel and get a refund and they where quoting like 2 to 3 days to process a refund , dont think so, put a paypal dispute in , but on chat i told them i would do this and they said its been sent, but checked my merimobile account and it says refunded, so the name fits if you ask me merimobiles can take you on a meri roundabout , out of the 4 orders ive placed only one went as it should have, even saying all that im tempted by the vowney v5 , and guess what on chat they have in stock, but when i asked when would it be dispatched was told, 27th, when i quoted 2 to 3 days dispatch , i was told they count from day after the order and dont include weekends lol, again what a meridance.

Guest arranhs

Did nobody else see this and seriously think, with all these delays I may as well wait for this? Looks like and absolutely awesome phone just like the Xiaomi mi2 apparently was. Plus i would probably be able to get one at the 1499 yuan price (£214.72)as a have a Chinese friend who is going home for a month in august :D

Guest blaster99999

well ive said all that and reordered a vowney v5 will give them till middle of next week , no tracking number will get refund lol, as recommended i went for the root option, also paid for a screen protector paypal cost in total £124, i used the vip code , but you pay a few quid in paypal currency converson fees , asked on chat been told dispatch 27th we will see lol, not holding my breath, i also asked about a gel case and they say they can get them in

Edited by blaster99999

Guest bryfly

well ive said all that and reordered a vowney v5 will give them till middle of next week , no tracking number will get refund lol, as recommended i went for the root option, also paid for a screen protector paypal cost in total £124, i used the vip code , but you pay a few quid in paypal currency converson fees , asked on chat been told dispatch 27th we will see lol, not holding my breath, i also asked about a gel case and they say they can get them in

Was previously told on chat, that Vowney V5 to despatch tomorrow and Newman k1 to despatch on Thursday, just receieved message to say Newman Despatched today, guess they changed there mind, fingers crossed the Vowney is despatched tomorrow as promised.....Interesting they can get Gel cases..

Guest blaster99999

Was previously told on chat, that Vowney V5 to despatch tomorrow and Newman k1 to despatch on Thursday, just receieved message to say Newman Despatched today, guess they changed there mind, fingers crossed the Vowney is despatched tomorrow as promised.....Interesting they can get Gel cases..

i also told them on chat to mark my parcel as gift and value of $30 , which they did on my last order i recieved and didnt pay any import taxes

Guest Rico_89

i also told them on chat to mark my parcel as gift and value of $30 , which they did on my last order i recieved and didnt pay any import taxes

Did you go the free shipping route?

Thx

Edited by Rico_89

Guest bryfly

Hopefully I get the same luck, asked them to mark the value down (hopefully they remembered) but did not ask it to be marked as a gift

Guest blaster99999

Did you go the free shipping route?

Thx

yes free option less change of import tax with that option most have found

Guest blaster99999

Correct but if you use paypal on fastcardtech they will charge 4.5% on top

And also no free post option to UK with fastcardtech

Guest kyan31

Just seen the new xbox. almost tempted to not buy a new phone tongue.png

Yeah, me too. I'll be selling the old box and then saving for the new one :D