[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest arranhs

Getting V5.

OFF TOPIC: does anyone know what happened to dazzozo? i can't find his threads anywhere..... wanted to see if there are updates to his CM builds, as on AOKP and finding it quite good so want to compare (and then i'll compare with stock ics).

sorry to go off topic in an off topic thread!

All development now has a separate section. You can see the folder thing at the top of the normal forum called Huawei Ascend G300 Development. Just in case you hadn't noticed :P

Edited by arranhs

Guest salvy

I'm thinking in getting the vowney v5 as well, seems to best I can get for under $200 currently.

I know most people here are from the EU, but it would be great if anyone that gets this phone in the US could confirm if it supports WCDMA 1900, in the vendor's page it says it does but I'm still unsure if is true.

Guest tillaz

I know most people here are from the EU, but it would be great if anyone that gets this phone in the US could confirm if it supports WCDMA 1900, in the vendor's page it says it does but I'm still unsure if is true.

anyone with the device can confirm this info for you by entering the hidden menu and looking at the available bands,

i done the same thing to check the phones i got a while back.

Guest Wacky.ddw

I orderd the xiaomi Mi2s 32gb 13mp camera yesterday i hope it arives fast! :D

It has 2 partitions so you can put MUI on the first partition and stock android on the other one so you can choose witch to boot. I dont know what i would want more i am happy that i could go to stock if would want to but i doubt it.

Guest blaster99999

And hope my panda will order is waiting at home when I get off holiday next week, ordered 2 hero v6888 , getting descent reviews only problem seams to be no English Google play, let's hope a descent custom rom comes out for this budget phone , anyone on here willing to mod this model of phone

Guest kyan31

The vowney actually looks good, really good! Im a fan of large screens so I'm definitely interested :)

I won't be buying any new phones soon though, I'm happy with my G300 for the time being :P

Edited by kyan31

Guest aliaird

I emailed Mentoo about my order for the Jiayu G4 2GB Advanced and just got this back;

"We are sorry that the releasing date for JIAYU G4 advanced version is not clear at present.

Yes, we have JIAYU G4 basic version as well as 3000mAh battery in stock.If you want to change, we will deliver

JIAYU G4 basic version + 3000mAh battery for you asap."

Is that what people believe? That the basic version is available for delivery now from mail order?

Also... in the Jiayu G2, one SIM is 3G enabled and the other isn't.

Does anyone know if the microsim slot in the G4 is the 3G one or not? Or are they both 3G enabled?

Thanks.

Guest Wacky.ddw

If you want to want to wait for the g4 advanced you could be waiting a long time. It will probably be a mid august release at best.

I really wanted the jiayu to but i gave up on waiting its i have been thinking it will be released in about 2 weeks for months now. So went for the xiaomi m2s the longer it takes jiayu to release there advanced version the happier i will be with my decision.

They shipped my phone this morning and it should be delivered within 3 days so i am very excited!

Guest tillaz

Is the software open source on the V5? as I Know on some the kernel is closed - it would be nice to get some custom ROMs on there smile.png

i doubt it, just like all the rest of the china phones... but there will be custom ROMs, just not built from source

Guest Cable Monkey

There seems to be some custom ROM (folk ROM) activity on the manufacturer's website. Google translate is your friend for ROMs

http://bbs.v5zn.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=38&filter=sortid&sortid=6

Someone was asking about the case. It is listed HERE

http://www.v5zn.com/goods.php?id=25'>http://www.v5zn.com/goods.php?id=25

Seems that you can order the phone plus the accessories for Y1010 (~£110) including spare battery, case and On-The_Go cable.

I'm not that brave and think that Merimobiles are going to get my Paypal custom soon

There are black and white "back shell" options listed, battery and charger listed in the "Fittings" tab of their website http://www.v5zn.com/

Guest jordanclarke69

There seems to be some custom ROM (folk ROM) activity on the manufacturer's website. Google translate is your friend for ROMs

http://bbs.v5zn.com/...sortid&sortid=6

Someone was asking about the case. It is listed HERE

http://www.v5zn.com/goods.php?id=25

Seems that you can order the phone plus the accessories for Y1010 (~£110) including spare battery, case and On-The_Go cable.

I'm not that brave and think that Merimobiles are going to get my Paypal custom soon

There are black and white "back shell" options listed, battery and charger listed in the "Fittings" tab of their website http://www.v5zn.com/

I can't actually choose a colour or add the phone to my cart.

Is this an official V5 website?

Guest tillaz

i think i will wait for a all black version to show up on merrimobiles.

looking at the official site the real cost of the device is 899 yuan / £97.

so merrimobiles selling it with free shipping for as low as £115 is a great deal

much better than the way retailers are handling the G4, which the real price is 999 yaun / £108

but been sold for $250 / £165... basically soon as a brand becomes quite well known they abuse it...

also, you can buy the back covers separate for 35 yuan / £3.75 but i don't think they ship outside of china :(

http://www.v5zn.com/goods.php?id=14

Got to say, this is one of the most interesting threads on the forum at the moment. I'm thinking about upgrading (v5) and there is some great info here.

Whats the general thoughts on the v5 battery? Is it likely to last a couple of days general use? I know "general use" is subjective but as the screen is bigger than the g300 and its a quad core would battery life be roughly the same?

Also has anyone seen any larger batteries advertised for the v5?

Guest Cable Monkey

I can't actually choose a colour or add the phone to my cart. Is this an official V5 website?

Yes it is the official website. I think that they officially went on sale today but almost immediately sold out. There is a thread somewhere on their forum suggesting that stock will be replenished next week. That thread also suggests that the option to purchase the phone has been disabled until such time as more stock becomes available.

As Tillaz says the premium charged by known resellers does not make it worthwhile for me to purchase direct.

I think it is an interesting and positive development that a manufacturer hosts a forum which openly discusses custom ROMs. Quite a change from some other makes

Guest blaster99999

When I'm off holiday think I will have a chat with merimobiles see if they can order me a black back , I prefer a all black phone, I've ordered my v5 pre rooted so expect it to come with gapps installed, will upload my rom if that's the case, merimobiles told me mine would ship on the 27th, so I've checked today to find it was shipped on the 24th got my tracking number so should only be a few weeks away from having it.

Guest blaster99999

looking at the official site the real cost of the device is 899 yuan / £97.

so merrimobiles selling it with free shipping for as low as £115 is a great deal

much better than the way retailers are handling the G4, which the real price is 999 yaun / £108

but been sold for $250 / £165... basically soon as a brand becomes quite well known they abuse it...

also, you can buy the back covers separate for 35 yuan / £3.75 but i don't think they ship outside of china :(

Well think I will email them see if I can buy a few backs from them direct , would be cool to have one black and a blue cover for that price

Guest kaizoku_san

I was searching for this thread in the "other phones" section...never thought to look in the G300 section :D

Great thread by the way and I'm hoping the regulars on this thread will give some advice on the following...

I've been looking to get a Chinese phone just to play around with, and now I've decided to get one out of necessity.

These are a must:

Dual sim

1GB ram

Between 4" and 4.6" inch screen (don't want 5")

Camera with flash (not too bothered about front camera)

Around £100 is my budget (but with delivery costs at some sites, I might have to pay more)

Rootable and with (at least some) community support

With these in mind, I've shortlisted to these ones:

ZTE V970 (has some support on xda)

Newman N1

THL W100

What are the pros and cons of the above?

Others I have looked at:

UMI X1S

Jiayu G2S

Lenovo A820

Any others you could recommend?

Guest Wacky.ddw

Yea that was also something i didnt like about the M2s that the back cover is wite so i ordered a separate backcover in black wich looks mutch better emo: LINK

I dont know why ayone would want a black/wite phone the xioami m2s looks ugly with the white cover so does the jiayu g4 and the verne v5. I think all black or all white is mutch better!