[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Sere83

the more i use the vowney v5 the more im liking it, biggest phone ive owned so not too easy to use one handed, one down side ive found is when on a phone call the ear speaker is tinny sounding dont know if there is a fix for this.

Hmm, yeah I was a bit concerned how i'd feel about the size as well coming from 4 inch MiOne, think the bigger screen will be epic though. Shame about the tinny ear speaker sound, very common on a lot of phone to be fair, not heard of anything that can be done about it as it potentially could be hardware related. Have to try it really when mine arrives see how bad it is.

Any word on the video capture/quality?

Verne V5 or Jiayu G4?

I am looking at both at the moment and can't decide! (Edging towards the V5 for the price)

Which is better supported - ie with custom ROMs/Mods/forums etc as I know I'll be playing around with it a lot, as I do with the G300 :D

Also, which sites are recommended by you guys, as I've seen stories of Paypal accounts closing and money being refunded/having to start the order process again

Well the advantages of the G4 over the V5 are the thinner bezel, the larger battery, larger PPI (but smaller screen) and the slightly faster (but non stock) rom and higher Mega pixel (although not necessarily better) camera, and possibly better build, I have heard the G4's build is very good, better than UMI X2. However obviously your paying over $250+ where as the V5 is $182.

In terms of getting hold of either, I went with merimobiles for the V5 as it was one of very few stores selling who's reputation was ok and we know they send out units as Blaster9999 has received his. In terms of Jiayu G4 the only store I am aware of that actually has stock is antelife.com but had no experience of using them, Jiayumobileshop.com may also have stock but they're both expensive at $270, might be able to get it slightly cheaper elsewhere.

Edited by Sere83

Guest blaster99999

got this from vowney today when I asked to buy the back covers , I pasted it below Hello, we cannot directly official foreign trade sales, decisive time should be some foreign trade dealers we should have black and blue cover sales.

Guest Sere83

got this from vowney today when I asked to buy the back covers , I pasted it below Hello, we cannot directly official foreign trade sales, decisive time should be some foreign trade dealers we should have black and blue cover sales.

Yeah I spoke to merimobiles a couple of days back and they said they will be stocking them and they will be up on the site soon

Guest blaster99999

Vowney v5 GPS update did 100 miles using co pilot 9 today and works perfect never lost GPS lock so the fix does work

Guest george109

Hi, If you are unsure about websites to buy phones from, then a good browser extension/add-on is myWOT. This is a tool where people rate sites, based on their experiences! Its very useful as people also comment, for example if they have had a bad customer experience.

Guest shuete

Hello,

my package( verne v5) was delivered :D i cannot believe it took so little time to arrive

i placed my order on May 24th it was suppose to ship on 30th, but they shipped on 29th

on June 1st singapore post stated the package was received and on June 3rd it was despatched to overseas, yesterday it arrived

in Portugal and this morning at my house

Guest Sere83

Hello,

my package( verne v5) was delivered :D i cannot believe it took so little time to arrive

i placed my order on May 24th it was suppose to ship on 30th, but they shipped on 29th

on June 1st singapore post stated the package was received and on June 3rd it was despatched to overseas, yesterday it arrived

in Portugal and this morning at my house

Sweet! Mine shipped on June 1st, but havn't been able to track the package :-(. Did you track it on the Singapore post website?

Guest Sere83

Vowney v5 GPS update did 100 miles using co pilot 9 today and works perfect never lost GPS lock so the fix does work

How long does GPS take to get a lock now? Whats the sound through headphones like?

Guest shuete

Sweet! Mine shipped on June 1st, but havn't been able to track the package :-(. Did you track it on the Singapore post website?

Yes, i tracked mine in their website but it seems they only update 2 status after despatched, i tracked on my home post website

edit:you can check mine on singapore post: RX103630745SG

Edited by shuete

Guest shuete

Soon as someone gets there v5 let me know and I will build TWRP in English with instructions on how to install it, then root and install Google apps.

Hi i received my v5 today, it works great, but i cannot download google store, default language is english and chinese, :wacko: i need portuguese..

plus i already inserted my sd card connected wifi and nothing! i dunno exactly what could i expect - but everytime i try to open i get the message - unfortunately google play has stopped -

needless to say that i quite bad at this android stuff

thanks

edit: already in portuguese

Edited by shuete

Guest arranhs

Try downloading the play store apk here, put it on your sd card and then use a file browser to install it. You'll need to tick install from unknown sources in the security settings before you can do that though

Guest tillaz

first i need some things pulled from the phone (partition table)

to do this use adb, download this >>> ADB.rar and extract it to your desktop

press start, and search cmd, double click on cmd.exe

now in the command prompt you need to navigate to the folder you just extracted to the desktop

for example you would enter

cd C:\Users\tillaz\Desktop\ADB

now plug your phone into the computer and make sure android debugging is turned on, wait while any drivers that are installing finish.

now enter

adb shell

then

cat /proc/dumchar_info > /sdcard/firmware.info

now you should have a file named "firmware.info" on your internal storage, upload that for me.

Guest shuete

first i need some things pulled from the phone (partition table)

to do this use adb, download this >>> ADB.rar and extract it to your desktop

press start, and search cmd, double click on cmd.exe

now in the command prompt you need to navigate to the folder you just extracted to the desktop

for example you would enter

cd C:\Users\tillaz\Desktop\ADB

now plug your phone into the computer and make sure android debugging is turned on, wait while any drivers that are installing finish.

now enter

adb shell

then

cat /proc/dumchar_info > /sdcard/firmware.info

now you should have a file named "firmware.info" on your internal storage, upload that for me.

I'm lost :( i downloaded the ADB.rar

C:\Users\tiago\Downloads\ADB.rar

searched cmd, double clicked on cmd.exe

plugged my phone and now i don't know what to do

where do i enter adb shell?

edit: should i install the drivers on the device?

Edited by shuete

Guest tillaz

I'm lost sad.png i downloaded the ADB.rar

yeah, install any drives your prompted with.

you enter "adb shell" in the command prompt that is open (and the next thing)

here is an example

post-913969-0-69147500-1370623082_thumb.

post-913969-0-78078000-1370623083_thumb.

Guest tillaz

Hey, does anyone know how to root the Verne V5? Just askin' wink.png

yes, but i need the stuff mentioned above first, then you can have TWRP and root / gapps ;)

Guest shuete

yeah, install any drives your prompted with.

you enter "adb shell" in the command prompt that is open (and the next thing)

here is an example

post-913969-0-69147500-1370623082_thumb.

post-913969-0-78078000-1370623083_thumb.

i'm ready to give up i don't understand a thing - android system is to damn complicated - i dunno what's android debugging, plus is really hard dealing with english language

i'm hating merimobile so much now

edit: i already payed for root service why am i having so much trouble

i already damaged my micro sd, going to try another one just 2GB though

Edited by shuete

Guest ChrisPNE

i'm ready to give up i don't understand a thing - android system is to damn complicated - i dunno what's android debugging, plus is really hard dealing with english language

For USB debugging go to Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging. :)

Guest arranhs

For USB debugging go to Settings -> Developer Options -> USB debugging. :)

Ahhh actually they made it awkward in JellyBean, Developer Options isnt instantly avaliable. Go into about phone, scoll down to "build number" and press 7 times (like explained here). A toast notification should come up saying "You are now a developer". THEN do what chrisPNE says

Then naturally do what tillaz says

Edited by arranhs

Guest tillaz

edit: i already payed for root service why am i having so much trouble angry.png

lol don't worry about it you will get there in the end ;)

other than the usb debugging, what part are you stuck on ?

Guest arranhs

I'm lost :( i downloaded the ADB.rar

Ok, thought i try to help a bit and break this down step by step. We all used to be newbies once ;) . You first need to extract that rar file to you downloads folder i.e. where it is currently located (so a folder called adb is generated in C:\Users\tiago\Downloads). If you haven't got a program able to extract the rar file already, 7zip is the best tool to use. once installed, right click on the adb.rar and click extract here in the menu that comes up

Plug in phone

Once you have do go into that adb folder, hold shift then right click and press "open command window here" in menu

and copy this: adb shell

(alternatively you can click cmd.exe the copy and paste this into cmd C:\Users\tiago\Downloads\ADB.rar ) either way the same effect is achieved

then paste that into cmd using right click paste (control v doesnt work)

Then press enter

daemon started sucessfully should come up (if not check your phone driver/check debugging is turned on)

then copy and paste this into cmd: cat /proc/dumchar_info > /sdcard/firmware.info

done, a file should now be on your phones INTERNAL storage :) Upload it

Edited by arranhs

Guest shuete

lol don't worry about it you will get there in the end ;)

other than the usb debugging, what part are you stuck on ?

I cannot enter adb shell, nor have i managed to debug i will try again lol

edit: I'm now a developer and debugged usb

now onto the next

Edited by shuete

Guest arranhs

I cannot enter adb shell, nor have i managed to debug i will try again lol

did you extract the rar file? (sorry if im being patronising i dont know how much you know)

edit: I'm now a developer

Nice one :)

Edited by arranhs