[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest arranhs

So i was talking to my chinese friend today who spends half his time over here and half his time in china and i decided to ask him on his opinion on the Jiayu G4 as im still sort of leaning towards it and i thought he would know all about it. He said that he have never heard of the company or phone before! He asked his brother who is a apparently a teck geek and he didnt know either. I found this slightly strange as we have definitely heard of it and we mostly seem to think it looks like a good phone. My friend went away to try some research and he said he couldn't find much on it or any reviews from well know websites so said i should be really careful about buying it. Additionally i asked him about Umi and Vowney and said the same thing.

Now im not saying i should take his advice, I just find it really odd that someone who spends most of his life in china, has never heard of Jiayu, Umi or Vowney considering how big an impact those companies are making to us on this forum.

Therefore im wondering if anyone can give me a link to a chinese website with a proper review of any of these phone (i.e. not from a forum or user reviews) so i can see what is said about them. Oh and i know gizchina reviews but im interested in a native chinese website :P Basically im interested in finding something like the equivalent of techradar in china

Edited by arranhs

Guest nsmacd1

the gsm sim is full size and the gsm/3g slot in mini size hope that helps.

Does this mean that I need to order a micro sim in order for the phone to work? - I currently just have the G300 Normal sized SIM card?

Guest bryfly

Anyway I'd be grateful if you could tell me how your microphone is working. This is my only complaint with the phone so far, but seeing as I use headphones or a bluetooth headset to talk, 90% of the time, it isn't a big issue for me but on my V5 the the microphone makes me sound a little muffled.

Tried the phone for making and receiving calls, cannot notice a problem of muffled sound..........

Guest shuete

Sweet, everyone seems reasonably chuffed so far. Any one tried attempting an OTA update yet?

In order to attempt OTA update the phone can't be rooted right? because the update has to be stock in the recovery rom/boot or rooted phones can attempt?

Guest shuete

So i was talking to my chinese friend today who spends half his time over here and half his time in china and i decided to ask him on his opinion on the Jiayu G4 as im still sort of leaning towards it and i thought he would know all about it. He said that he have never heard of the company or phone before! He asked his brother who is a apparently a teck geek and he didnt know either. I found this slightly strange as we have definitely heard of it and we mostly seem to think it looks like a good phone. My friend went away to try some research and he said he couldn't find much on it or any reviews from well know websites so said i should be really careful about buying it. Additionally i asked him about Umi and Vowney and said the same thing.

Now im not saying i should take his advice, I just find it really odd that someone who spends most of his life in china, has never heard of Jiayu, Umi or Vowney considering how big an impact those companies are making to us on this forum.

Therefore im wondering if anyone can give me a link to a chinese website with a proper review of any of these phone (i.e. not from a forum or user reviews) so i can see what is said about them. Oh and i know gizchina reviews but im interested in a native chinese website :P Basically im interested in finding something like the equivalent of techradar in china

I think this is normal, China is a big country and has so many to offer that only the best of the best will succeed...I can't imagine a well paid chinese guy buying Jiayu devices when he can buy Lenovo,Oppo, Xiaomi, ZTE/TLC or Huawei plus if someone can afford they have Korean companies even Japanese i guess

Maybe the people who buy Jiayu, V5 and etc are the ones who don't really care that much about high-end devices also after checking gizchina i found the majority of Jiayu "fans" are international customers

But the truth is chinese people got to buy and know about these phones otherwise how would these companies sell them? sure they're not big guns even though Jiayu and Umi try hard(only to fail) to be ..the thing is people buy them as long as they're cheap

Guest dakok

So i was talking to my chinese friend today who spends half his time over here and half his time in china and i decided to ask him on his opinion on the Jiayu G4 as im still sort of leaning towards it and i thought he would know all about it. He said that he have never heard of the company or phone before!

That`s exactly what I am thinking of recently. When browsing thru few huge chinese phone forums I can only see these subforums:

Xiaomi, Meizu, Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei, OPPO, HTC, Amoi, Gionee, Coolpad,

Rare appearances in "others" are Newman, Jiayu, iOcean, THL

On Anzhi, when I ask for recomended brands - their respond is: Huawei, Xiaomi, Meizu, ZTE - all of them pretty expencive

And another thing, you could be lost in translation:

Jiayu is 佳域G4

Vowney is 凡尔纳V5

Newman K1 is 纽曼K1

etc...

Edited by dakok

Guest tillaz

i was thinking of starting a website similar to modaco when i have some free time,

but for the china phones only (all in English) and giving each phone its own topic on request, with a root / CWM / Gapps Guide for each device :)

and all the other Good stuff people would contribute to the fourms (mods / roms / tweaks / etc.).

not sure at the moment though, could be be good with a few more people involved ?

Guest dakok

Nice attitude, Tillaz. :D

The idea of making such site has its values. Really.

Cheap quality stuff, huge number of interested in not only buying, but in user support and extra stuff too.

Advertising....

;)

If you want help, I`m all yours ^_^

Edited by dakok

Guest Sere83

i was thinking of starting a website similar to modaco when i have some free time,

but for the china phones only (all in English) and giving each phone its own topic on request, with a root / CWM / Gapps Guide for each device :)

and all the other Good stuff people would contribute to the fourms (mods / roms / tweaks / etc.).

not sure at the moment though, could be be good with a few more people involved ?

Yeah great idea, been hoping someone would do this for a while, definitely need a more detailed forum/site for development and talk relating to each brand individually, could become huge!

Also....back covers are up on Merrimobiles! >>>>

http://www.merimobil..._p/meri7563.htm

Just spoke to them and also apparently OTA updates will work even with Root! Should not affect it

Edited by Sere83

Guest trashbat

what leans you to the g4 over the v5?

Guest blaster99999

Yeah great idea, been hoping someone would do this for a while, definitely need a more detailed forum/site for development and talk relating to each brand individually, could become huge!

Also....back covers are up on Merrimobiles! >>>>

http://www.merimobil..._p/meri7563.htm

Just spoke to them and also apparently OTA updates will work even with Root! Should not affect it

v5 back cover , is this a extra protective cover which goes on the phone or is it just the back case in different colours, can anyone tried there vowney v5 on car Bluetooth , mine disconnects all time while on calls

Guest Sere83

v5 back cover , is this a extra protective cover which goes on the phone or is it just the back case in different colours, can anyone tried there vowney v5 on car Bluetooth , mine disconnects all time while on calls

No its just the regular back cover, just for those who don't like the panda look, only problem is once you start buying all this crap your total spend starts hitting Jiayu G4 / UMI X2 / iOcean X7 pricing, although all black would be nice

Edited by Sere83

Guest arranhs

That`s exactly what I am thinking of recently. When browsing thru few huge chinese phone forums I can only see these subforums:

Xiaomi, Meizu, Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei, OPPO, HTC, Amoi, Gionee, Coolpad,

Rare appearances in "others" are Newman, Jiayu, iOcean, THL

On Anzhi, when I ask for recomended brands - their respond is: Huawei, Xiaomi, Meizu, ZTE - all of them pretty expencive

And another thing, you could be lost in translation:

Jiayu is 佳域G4

Vowney is 凡尔纳V5

Newman K1 is 纽曼K1

etc...

Thats a good point, ill give those chinese names to him, hopefully he'll recognise at least one of them :P

Edit: Nope he recognises none of them :( To tell the truth im a bit worried that if a Chinese person hasn't heard of them and if you are saying that they aren't that popular on forums that if chinese dont buy them, should i be (if you know way i mean by that :P)

Like dakok says If you need help, I`m very willing to do so :) - Although that being said, i don't know how much use id be :P

what leans you to the g4 over the v5?

Well:

1. It has a smaller screen - i feel the v5 is too big.

2. Gorilla Glass. I know a lot of people say that this make it more brittle and everything but i never drop my phone (here's to hoping i continue this trend). However i do put it in a lot of places it is easily scratched and i found the gorilla glass on the g300 helps so much. I even put a screen protector on my g300 at one point but it got so scratched i had to take it off lol :P. Therefore not have GG is a major flaw in my opinion, especially with the larger screen which is more likely to get scratched.

3. I sorta feel i may be slightly safer with jiayu because as far as i can tell it is a more well known company so i feel like it may be a better, more well made phone.

4. Price isnt a problem because im probably gonna buy the g4 when i go to china so it will end up being cheaper than buying the v5 in this country anyway :)

Edited by arranhs

Guest aliaird

When I was in Hong Kong last week I went to the Sin Tat phone plaza. The place is full of tiny shops all selling mobile phones.

Amongst the Android phones, I would say about 80% of the phones for sale were Samsung (or maybe fakes!!), with HTC and Xperia trailing in very poor second and third respectively. Samsung are everywhere in HK. I think the Chinese (middle class at any rate) want the brand phones so I'm not surprised about the lack of recognition.

When I asked the sellers they hadn't heard of any of the brands I mentioned. I think I saw one Xaomi for sale once, but that was it.

Guest Wacky.ddw

I realised a few days ago that Mentoo.com sent me the wrong phone they sent me the MI2 instaid of the MI2s i mailed them:

Dear mary,

At first i was very happy it your service but now i cant tell you how dissapointed i am, last week i recieved my xiaomi the first thing i did is unbox it and install antutu benchmark. This gave me a score wich was to low to be the MI2s i ordered. So i checked the the specs and they said 1.5ghz quadcore 8mp camera model number MI2. In the mails below you can clearly see that i ordered a MI2s i really bought the phone for the 13mp camera so i am not willing to settle for less, wich is more then fair knowing that i payed the price that the MI2s costs. When i wanted to contact you guys i saw that the site www.mentoo.com is offline so and it took me a while to findout that your domainname changed to www.menpoo.com. But even that site is offline so i can only asume your email adress changed to [email protected].

I hope you set this straight so i dont have to contact paypall buyers protection that you scammed me.

This is my IMEI: 869630018631691 wich i asume proves that i bought it in your store, if you need any other proof i will send it right away.

I hope you reply soon,

Dennis

This is what they sent back in the worst english ever, and other people who bought something on this shop got the same mail.

Dear mentoo buyers:

At the end of may have individual buyers malicious complaints, lead to mentoo paypal account frozen, after the account is frozen money can only be removed after 180 days, in order to guarantee the interests of most of the buyers, maintain the credibility of our company, we have been communicating with PYPAL, paypal don't agree to my company's complaint, continue to freeze accounts, so lead to we can't give you the delivery in time, bring you the trouble we are very sorry.

My company is now officially make a decision, no matter how PAYPAL finally coordination processing opinion, our company will give you deliver goods within 30 days, but the product is not necessarily you specify products, but assure you must be send you the equivalent product, within 30 days, if you continue to complain, that I will no longer give you deliver goods, such as 180 days for PAYPAL to deal with, please you understand!

Mentoo website not normal visit, it is because I have my company adjust the company's business, will stop retail business, the subsequent we will do wholesale professional. Bring you the trouble we are sorry for this! Please be assured that we will fulfill their duties of the seller, within 30 days give you deliver goods, please cooperate with our work

<:includetail>

<:includetail>support

Do you guys think paypall buyers protection will come between this? Or what would you do?

Guest Sere83

Yeah the thing is as people have mentioned middle class Chinese customers or in fact anyone with money in china tend to be extremely brand conscious and lesser known Chinese brands have no brand Cache at all. The majority simply wouldn't even consider them or look into them if they had the money to buy samsung, apple, HTC etc.

@arranhs to be honest it's not that surprising that he hasn't heard on them, China is huge! Most of these small domestic brands are based in Shenzen and rarely make it that far out of there unless like zopo, UMI and jiayu they actively seek to create international supply chains, many of them simply just sell online through their websites or other online stores. Also much bigger brands with much bigger marketing budgets like lenovo, ZTE and the big names often take up the main advertising spaces.

The Jiayu G4 is said to have great build, but there has been a number of good reports from even some of the cheaper models like the V5 and iOcean x7, Newman K1, Amoi etc at the end of the day it comes down to how well they are built and how well they perform. When you consider how little they cost and the strength of the MT6589 (which many big brand names are now using) they represent good value, no matter how well known they are outside Shenzen. The thing is as well is not to expect too much considering how cheap they are, you cant expect HTC one or iphone 5 type performance and build quality.

http://mtksj.com/ is a great chinese MTK phone resource and has some in depth reviews and the BBS forums on the manufacturer sites are often crammed with really in depth reviews, see www.v5zn.com for Vowney v5.

Guest bryfly

Cuople of questions for people who are lucky enough to have received their Vowney v5

1) How do you get rid of the google search bar present at the top of each page

2) Are the number of pages adjustable like on the g300.

Cheers

Guest kyan31
Cuople of questions for people who are lucky enough to have received their Vowney v5

1) How do you get rid of the google search bar present at the top of each page

2) Are the number of pages adjustable like on the g300.

Cheers

Just download a new launcher, Nova is good. That should solve both your questions.

Guest Sere83

I realised a few days ago that Mentoo.com sent me the wrong phone they sent me the MI2 instaid of the MI2s i mailed them:

This is what they sent back in the worst english ever, and other people who bought something on this shop got the same mail.

Do you guys think paypall buyers protection will come between this? Or what would you do?

Hey, sorry to hear about this. I'ts a difficult one. The only problem with taking this further is the amount of time it will take to resolve. I know it's very annoying and unfair and you may potentially lose a bit of money, but bare in mind the MI2 and MI2s prices are quite close, you would not have lost much really at all. Dealing with Chinese companies is very stressful and an absolute nightmare to be honest and if they don't speak English it makes it even worse.

The thing is the MI2 is still a really nice phone and the resell value in Europe is very high. If I was you I would stick it on ebay and with the money you make you will surely have enough to buy an MI2s. Just maybe use a seller like ibuygou.com or hotmid.com next time as I think they will be more reliable.

Edited by Sere83

Guest Sere83

A860W is an interesting new name coming from a known chinese brand AMOI:

With unique double battery design - it has a built in battery + extra one.

4140mAh in total!

OGS, too

Price is near $250 now, but it could easily drop down a little.

Guys on htcmania are arranging a group buying:

http://www.htcmania....ad.php?t=608785

Yeah looks quite nice, available on hotmid.com