[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest ChrisPNE

This one of the things that keeps me away from vowney:

Official Vowney blog:

http://en.v5zn.com/5...v5-tushang.html

You can see there "visitor" comments. All in all ~20 on 5-6 blog pages.

Wild user names, such as Fake Ray Ban glasses or New Era Hats.

Anyway, Air Jordan from Italy/Carolina is my favorite:

www.jordanshop.it : 2013年06月13日19:20:54 -49楼 @回复 回复

.....I appreciate you writing this post

and the rest of the site is very good.

www.jordanshop.it : 2013年06月14日08:25:46 -45楼 @回复 回复

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your blog on my

iphone during lunch break. ...I’m surprised at how

fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, good site!

Air Jordan Italia : 2013年06月13日23:03:34 -48楼 @回复 回复

Everyone loves what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and exposure! Keep up the

terrific works guys I’ve included you guys to my personal blogroll.

Air Jordan scarpe : 2013年06月14日02:45:14 -47楼 @回复 回复

Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this site. It’s simple, yet effective.

A lot of times it’s very hard to get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance.

I must say that you’ve done a awesome job with this. In addition, the blog loads super quick

for me on Firefox. Exceptional Blog!

Air Jordan scarpe : 2013年06月14日08:27:45 -41楼 @回复 回复

Someone necessarily lend a hand to make critically posts I’d state. This is the very first

time I frequented your web page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to make

this actual put up extraordinary. Great job!

I guess you don`t have to be smart to guess who actually wrote this stuff. :D

This doesn`t look serious at all. :blink:

I'm not sure I'd decide to buy a mobile phone based on whether the manufacturers blog had comments made by spam bots.

Lots of blogs/sites suffer from that, including Modaco.

Guest dakok

Comments are made from Vowney`s employees.

I`ve never seen someone from Modaco`s stuff glorifying their own ability to compose sentences and basic web pages,

presenting themselves with names picked from an italian sport shoes website.

Btw, modaco can`t be compared to a high tech devices manufacturer.

Try to do that on your business website (for fun).

Guest ChrisPNE

I`ve never seen someone from Modaco`s stuff glorifying their own ability to compose sentences and basic web pages,

How do you know they are Vowney employees?

Guest bryfly

GPS was difficult to get first lock but there is a guide further up this thread, and GPS works good now, I ordered a screen protector with the v5 and I'm using it. The case listed with the phone at 6.99 wonder if that's the universal case as the specific v5 case is now 19.99

Agree about GPS but followed the guide and is ok, on the g300 I did not use it and used the phone signal etc to get a fix, does not seem to work on the V5, do people leave their GPS on or switch it off?

Just ripped my screen protector off, had a couple of air bubbles lifted it to clear them and ended up with loads more, bit of a pain though only available in China, none on ebay that I could find...........what is the general opinion about protectors, needed or not?

The case I got for 6.99 has all the correct cut outs for the v5 and is like a book cover with mag catch, but not sure what they supply now

Guest nsmacd1

Merimobiles is now advertising a 'replacement stereo headphones' for the V5 - Just wondering if one came with the phone, as it is not listed in the package contents from what I can see

Guest Sere83

Agree about GPS but followed the guide and is ok, on the g300 I did not use it and used the phone signal etc to get a fix, does not seem to work on the V5, do people leave their GPS on or switch it off?

Just ripped my screen protector off, had a couple of air bubbles lifted it to clear them and ended up with loads more, bit of a pain though only available in China, none on ebay that I could find...........what is the general opinion about protectors, needed or not?

The case I got for 6.99 has all the correct cut outs for the v5 and is like a book cover with mag catch, but not sure what they supply now

Tried GPS and it didn't work at all so will try the guide, i'm sure it will be good after that. I tend to turn GPS off on all my phones to save battery. Personally I have not used the screen protector yet, I may use it at some point but loving the responsiveness without it.

I know it's crazy.. After a few minutes using the V5, the G300 screen looks tiny. :P Anyway great news you got your phone.

One question, when you get time to test it, but could you tell me what other people say you sound like to them, when you're talking to them on your V5. I get a lot of people saying I sound a bit muffled, not a deal breaker just wondering if I'm the only one?

All the people I have asked said it sounded ok. My main issue with the sound is that generally it is low, the ringtones low, the voice is low, you wouldn't hear much in a crowded room. Also as mentioned before the call quality is definitely worse than my Xiaomi Mi One, much more harsh and tinny and almost echoey. But saying that its not a huge deal breaker, just wish I could get it a bit louder, tried some app store apps but didn't do much.

Incidentally, I asked merimobiles and OTA updates should simply appear and will ask if you want to install etc. The quality of the phone for the price you pay though is just amazing, genuinely surprised.

Merimobiles is now advertising a 'replacement stereo headphones' for the V5 - Just wondering if one came with the phone, as it is not listed in the package contents from what I can see

Nope no headset came with mine, I just ordered the black back cover though!

Also Dash clock widget doesnt seem to work, anyone tried it and got it working?

Edited by Sere83

Guest Rico_89

All the people I have asked said it sounded ok. My main issue with the sound is that generally it is low, the ringtones low, the voice is low, you wouldn't hear much in a crowded room. Also as mentioned before the call quality is definitely worse than my Xiaomi Mi One, much more harsh and tinny and almost echoey. But saying that its not a huge deal breaker, just wish I could get it a bit louder, tried some app store apps but didn't do much.

I don't have an issue with call quality, it sounds as good as the G300 for me, not tinny or echoey ..And the ring tone isn't too low either, not the loudest but it's where I would set it even if it could go louder.

What I do is use a headset and that solves my mic issue, so maybe it will help with your low volume problem until a fix can be found.

Guest JetKun

It's not Vowney, I see the exact same comments on other sites too- Air Jordans, whatever, stupid rubbish. It's what sites with lenient spam filters get in response to wanting more legit comments

Edited by JetKun

Guest bryfly

could anyone with a rooted Vowney v5 post the build.prop ?

# begin build properties

# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh

ro.build.id=JOP40D

ro.build.display.id=ALPS.JB2.MP.V1.2

ro.build.version.incremental=eng.root.1367996196

ro.build.version.sdk=17

ro.build.version.codename=REL

ro.build.version.release=4.2.1

ro.build.date=2013年 05月 08日 星期三 14:58:40 CST

ro.build.date.utc=1367996320

ro.build.type=user

ro.build.user=root

ro.build.host=smart-Product

ro.build.tags=test-keys

ro.product.model=VOW V5

ro.product.brand=alps

ro.product.name=bird89_wet_c_jb2

ro.product.device=bird89_wet_c_jb2

ro.product.board=bird89_wet_c_jb2

ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a

ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi

ro.product.manufacturer=alps

ro.product.locale.language=zh

ro.product.locale.region=CN

ro.wifi.channels=

ro.board.platform=

# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device

ro.build.product=bird89_wet_c_jb2

# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint

ro.build.description=bird89_wet_c_jb2-user 4.2.1 JOP40D eng.root.1367996196 test-keys

ro.build.fingerprint=alps/bird89_wet_c_jb2/bird89_wet_c_jb2:4.2.1/JOP40D/1367996196:user/test-keys

ro.build.flavor=

ro.build.characteristics=default

# end build properties

# begin mediatek build properties

ro.mediatek.version.release=ALPS.JB2.MP.V1.2

ro.mediatek.platform=MT6589

ro.mediatek.chip_ver=S01

ro.mediatek.version.branch=ALPS.JB2.MP

ro.mediatek.version.sdk=1

# end mediatek build properties

#

# system.prop for generic sdk

#

rild.libpath=/system/lib/mtk-ril.so

rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyC0

# MTK, Infinity, 20090720 {

wifi.interface=wlan0

# MTK, Infinity, 20090720 }

# MTK, mtk03034, 20101210 {

ro.mediatek.wlan.wsc=1

# MTK, mtk03034 20101210}

# MTK, mtk03034, 20110318 {

ro.mediatek.wlan.p2p=1

# MTK, mtk03034 20110318}

# MTK, mtk03034, 20101213 {

mediatek.wlan.ctia=0

# MTK, mtk03034 20101213}

#

wifi.tethering.interface=ap0

#

ro.opengles.version=131072

wifi.direct.interface=p2p0

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=128m

dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m

# USB MTP WHQL

ro.sys.usb.mtp.whql.enable=0

# Power off opt in IPO

sys.ipo.pwrdncap=2

ro.sys.usb.storage.type=mtp,mass_storage

# USB BICR function

ro.sys.usb.bicr=yes

# USB Charge only function

ro.sys.usb.charging.only=yes

# audio

ro.camera.sound.forced=0

ro.audio.silent=0

ro.zygote.preload.enable=0

persist.sys.defaulttimezone=Asia/Shanghai

#[bug-82201]default timezone modify:mijianfeng 20120611

#added for QQ muliangxing 20120330

ro.media.enc.camera.platform=Mediatek

ro.custom.build.version=MX1020_BER_S5009_89_RELEASE-V1.09.20130427-6589-HD

#

# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES

#

ril.specific.sm_cause=0

gps.solution.combo.chip=1

ril.external.md=0

fmradio.driver.chip=3

ro.sf.hwrotation=0

ril.current.share_modem=2

launcher2.allappsgrid=3d_20

curlockscreen=1

ro.mediatek.gemini_support=true

persist.radio.fd.counter=15

persist.radio.fd.off.counter=5

persist.radio.fd.r8.counter=15

persist.radio.fd.off.r8.counter=5

persist.mtk.wcn.combo.chipid=-1

drm.service.enabled=true

fmradio.driver.enable=1

ril.first.md=1

ril.flightmode.poweroffMD=1

ril.telephony.mode=1

ril.radiooff.poweroffMD=0

dalvik.vm.mtk-stack-trace-file=/data/anr/mtk_traces.txt

mediatek.wlan.chip=MT6628

mediatek.wlan.module.postfix=_mt6628

ro.config.notification_sound=52samsung.ogg

ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Rooster_02.ogg

ro.config.ringtone=S_Over_the_horizon.ogg

net.bt.name=Android

dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Guest arranhs

I`m considering Jiayu, too (amoi, xiaocai and newman, also). Good idea regarding group buying.

We could have you to check goods in China, before dispatch. (nice idea, huh?)

I like that idea :) But to be honest, in that case i probably wont be part of the group buying as its cheaper to just buy in china. But since im definitely going to buy one id be willing to do like a hands on for you guys when i get back :D

Guest Sere83

A quick note on my v5 experience. I'm pretty sure this phone has no ambient light sensor meaning auto brightness doesn't actually adjust anything. Visibility in direct sunlight is also pretty bad

Guest JetKun

I`m considering Jiayu, too (amoi, xiaocai and newman, also). Good idea regarding group buying.

We could have you to check goods in China, before dispatch. (nice idea, huh?)

I like that idea :) But to be honest, in that case i probably wont be part of the group buying as its cheaper to just buy in china. But since im definitely going to buy one id be willing to do like a hands on for you guys when i get back :D

I'd be up for group buying!

Guest kieranswhite
A quick note on my v5 experience. I'm pretty sure this phone has no ambient light sensor meaning auto brightness doesn't actually adjust anything. Visibility in direct sunlight is also pretty bad

How bad compared to the g300??

Guest trashbat

Ordered a v5 yesterday.

My sister recently got a y300 however she feels that the 512mb of ram just isn't enough.

I did recommend her the v5 but she is adamant that it's too big.

Anyone have any recommendations of smaller phones in that price bracket that are worth a look?

Guest Rico_89

Interesting, I just tested mine and it does adjust brightness in auto mode. I have noticed that the brightness levels from the lowest to the highest are not as great as they are on the G300. In fact I will probably have to use an app to lower the brightness even further, but when I turn the brightness right down and then turn on auto brightness the screen gets brighter.

As for the poor visibility in direct sunlight, well I only have the G300 to compare it to and it is much better than that. Here's a picture of me trying to fail the screen to see its limits. No one would use any screen in these conditions, you would just tilt the phone a little to dodge the reflection of the Sun, but as you can see I can easily operate the phone, and it looked better than that obviously because the camera got light blinded a little itself. Oh and the V5 brightness was set to its lowest setting.

vdzq.jpg

Guest kyan31

I'd love to get a Vowney, but there are a fee things holding me back from it so I'll have go find something else:

- No gorilla glass

My Blade had no gorilla glass, and that thing got scratched so easily compared to my G300. The scratches were very light, but there were lots of them, so it was easy to spot in direct sunlight.

- No Ambient Light Sensor

That means no automatic brightness control, which is a problem for me.

- No NFC

This is just a personal thing, I would like NFC in my next phone so the vowney isn't for me.

Guest kieranswhite

Not sure if its already been posted but this seems like a V5 Forum.

http://bbs.v5zn.com/forum.php

Correct me if i'm wrong

Edit:

Just seen this on one of the threads:

looks interesting :P

May 10, 2013 Updated: Verne V5 wire brush ROM package - 0427 & Brush tutorial

May 17, 2013 Updated: Verne V5 wire brush ROM package - 0514 & Brush tutorial

May 28, 2013 update: Verne V5 wire brush ROM package - s5009_0522 & Brush tutorial

June 9, 2013 Updated: ROM discover new BUG has been restored, sorry, no later than the 14th enclose line brush machine tutorial and tools Replies visible brush machine fails to solve Methods : http://bbs.v5zn.cn/thread-17907-1-1.html

This post hidden content

Wire brush machine tutorial Graphic Version: http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=535474342&uk=3540497176

Brush drive a key to install version: http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid = 2,547,081,990 & UK = 3540497176

MTK6589 Brush tool Chinese version: http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=2555516900&uk=3540497176

Edited by kieranswhite

Guest tillaz

@tillaz, i can't find the instructions for installing TWRP

Yeah, I had to lower the quality of all the images in cwm for it to fit on the 6mb partition,

unfortunately even if I deleted all images in TWRP it still would not fit...

So the only option is to repartition the recovery partition to 7mb.

I dont want to be responsible for anyone bricking there phone so i will just post the TWRP

Image on here, if anyone wants to try the repartition method to flash the image send me a PM,

but understand if it some how goes wrong its not my fault.

Guest dakok

Anyone have any recommendations of smaller phones in that price bracket that are worth a look?

Amoi N828 is 4.5"

Got 84% mark at NotebookCheck in-depth review

Got 4/5 mark from users on 3 biggest chinese portals (PConline, ZOL, CNMO)

Got top position (992 votes) on Ydss website in voting (8326 voters, 34 phones) for next MIUI rom candidate (Amoi 820 got MIUI recently)

I believe this is the one to go to.

Edited by dakok

Guest bryfly

@kieranswhite:

This is forum

Vowney v5 forum

Looking on the forum, found this question about the glass, the answer is a little bit confusing after translation, not sure the question was really answered by Vowney

V5 glass in the end what is the glass? Resistant impatience plan? Buy a mobile phone without foil from the habit to check the next global mobile phone screen glass, maximum two, one is Corning Corning, one is Asahi Asahi Glass, referred to AGC, Corning is the gorilla, Asahi Asahi Glass is Dragontrail " Long tracks, very scratch-resistant, not foil, are known to require the hardness of diamond scratches on the screen.

comparison of Gorilla and dragontrail glass web site below

http://www.fastcompany.com/1719138/dragontrail-vs-gorilla-super-tough-glass-game

Edited by bryfly

Guest dakok

Answer has nothing to do with v5, is simply says that Corning makes Gorilla and AGC (Asashi) makes Dragontrail glass.

Speaking of glass, there is Mlais MX58 with Gorilla III glass :D

Edited by dakok