[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

I'm seriously thinking about the Newman K1 instead of the Vowney/Verne V5.

Its only £15 more but the camera should be better quality (f2.2) and battery is slightly bigger (2500 instead of 2400).

But more importantly I can get silicon covers and screen protectors easily on ebay for a couple of quid.

Apart from that the phones look almost identical in spec.

Am I missing something?

Also, would anyone be willing to help me build CMW or TWRP for it if I got one?

Guest tillaz

i'v just been looking at the china phones again and found these to be quite interesting, not sure they have been mentioned before

Xiaocai G6, £ 104.43

http://www.fastcardtech.com/Xiaocai-G6

FAEA F1, £ 125.97

http://www.fastcardtech.com/FAEA-F1

Quad core Snapdragon S4 ?

8475_P_1363850031836.jpg

Eastcom W1, £ 130.53 (i like the design of this one)

http://www.fastcardt...om-W1-Quad-core

Guest arranhs

Amoi N828 is 4.5"

Got 84% mark at NotebookCheck in-depth review

Got 4/5 mark from users on 3 biggest chinese portals (PConline, ZOL, CNMO)

Got top position (992 votes) on Ydss website in voting (8326 voters, 34 phones) for next MIUI rom candidate (Amoi 820 got MIUI recently)

I believe this is the one to go to.

Hmm as good as it looks i have 2 problems with it.

1. the screen is around about the same resolution of the g300 and if im getting a new phone i sot of want to upgrade to "retina" or something. Additionally its not 720p which again i would quite like

2. Screen is a bit small for my liking. Yes i know im a bit picky thinking 5 is too big and 4.5 is too small but i genuinely believe it might be. I personally thing 4.7 is the best size judging by my friends nexus.

3. Again no gorilla glass :P

Guest dakok

@tillaz: G6, Xiaomi M2s clone, is one of my favorites. It has dual boot (JB + LewaOS) and a MIUI rom in development.

@arranhs: screen is a bit better than g300`s:

244 vs 233 ppi. Not retina, but it makes it faster.

Or, it is retina actually - at 14" (36cm), which is a normal reading distance.

Gottcha!

:P

Edited by dakok

Guest tillaz

@tillaz: G6, Xiaomi M2s clone, is one of my favorites. It has dual boot (JB + LewaOS) and a MIUI rom in development.

yeah it looks like a great phone for £104, there's a load of videos of it on YouTube so i guess its quite popular.

Guest Sere83

Well everything had been working fine, but now my I cant connec to 3G, got H symbol and decent reception but no apps update or do anything, very odd. Also GPS wasn't working when I turned it on earlier even though when I followed the guide it got a lock first time I tried and seemed to be ok.

Any one got any ideas?

UPDATE: Followed guide again and got lock, hopefully be ok now, 3G still seems slow though, but working again, actually exhibits very similar behavior to my Xiaomi Mi One i think its something to do with my room having bad reception and roaming on EE, who knows...

In terms of the Ambient light sensor thing, I may have got it wrong, may have one just may be more subtle than my old phone. Thing is my Mi One had a transflexive display which was really good in direct sunlight, so in comparison the V5's display cant compete on that front. After using it for a while the speaker works ok on the V5 and sound level while a little low is not too bad, just the fact it is noticeably far more tinny and hollow than my Mi One sounds.

Edited by Sere83

Guest tillaz

Well everything had been working fine, but now my I cant connec to 3G, got H symbol and decent reception but no apps update or do anything,

Any one got any ideas?

have you tried turning airplane mode on / off ? toggling this normally resolves my network issues on T-mobile / EE

Guest kieranswhite

Out of interest . Has anyone else ordered a V5 recently and how long before you got the shipping number and details etc ??

Guest nsmacd1

Out of interest . Has anyone else ordered a V5 recently and how long before you got the shipping number and details etc ??

I ordered mine on the 12th and chased them via email and they shipped it today. They reckon that it will take approx 2 days before I can track it online.

They did promise to upgrade me to EMS postage as they had forgotten to 'fulfill my order' but the tracking number shows as a regular postage :angry:

Guest kieranswhite

I ordered mine on the 12th and chased them via email and they shipped it today. They reckon that it will take approx 2 days before I can track it online.

They did promise to upgrade me to EMS postage as they had forgotten to 'fulfill my order' but the tracking number shows as a regular postage :angry:

Thanks for the reply. My phone is still "awaiting fulfilment" but I did order it on the 14th and they don't operate on weekends so ill have to wait a see ;)

Edited by kieranswhite

Guest Colossae3.23

Answer has nothing to do with v5, is simply says that Corning makes Gorilla and AGC (Asashi) makes Dragontrail glass.

Speaking of glass, there is Mlais MX58 with Gorilla III glass :D

That Mlais caught my eye for it's camera. Is it actually for sale now?

Guest trashbat
Guest tillaz

if this really can be bought for £125 its a great alternative to the v5, especially if a 5 inch display is to big for you

EDIT

merrimobiles have it for £116...

http://www.merimobil..._p/meri8352.htm

Quad core 1.2 Ghz S4 (Snapdragon 200, 8225Q)

Adreno 205 GPU

NFC

4.5 inch 720P OGS Display (thin bezel)

really like the design and specs of this, tempted to get it... love the circle LED notification on the bottom

here is the official site with specs

http://www.faea.com.cn/product/f1/

Guest bryfly

Got my first prob with V5, downloaded touchwiz and Apex, installed and worked fine , today when switching phone on and off it defaults back to installed launcher, tried making apex default etc , then tried reset to factory and reinstall launcher , works ok till switch it off then goes back to installed launcher……….any idea what to do next? cheers

edit:- seems strange, it looks like apex works but it is only the 5 icons at the bottom that go to default launcher icons

edit 2:- also when switching on and off it is always searching network when switched on again, the Huawei does not and seems to remember the network?

Edited by bryfly

Guest dakok

Bryfly and other Vowney owners - make a Vowney/Verne topic on Modaco!

I don`t mind see your posts in this one, but it would be more convinient for you (and ohers interested in this phone)

to keep your informative posts organised in one place. :)

P.S. You will get more attention there, and a bigger user base - other, non-modaco users would spot it easier

Edited by dakok

Guest bryfly

Not sure if it is the right area but started a New Vowney topic under Other,

It says, If there is enough discussion, a dedicated area will be created.

Guest kieranswhite

Not sure if it is the right area but started a New Vowney topic under Other,

It says, If there is enough discussion, a dedicated area will be created.

Link??

Guest arranhs

@arranhs: screen is a bit better than g300`s:

244 vs 233 ppi. Not retina, but it makes it faster.

Or, it is retina actually - at 14" (36cm), which is a normal reading distance.

Gottcha!

:P

Haha you got me :P

To give you an extra headache, check the ultimate list of all MTK6589 phones. :P

221 models, updated on 12.06.2013.

Not finished yet, but I couldn`t resist to share it now :D

Oh god, i hate you so much. Just when I though I had decided on a phone :P

Looking at you list though ive suddenly because interested in the Zopo C2. I have 2 questions about it though.

What is a li-polymer battery? is that better or worse than a normal lithium battery? Because if its just normal, a 2000 mAh battery looks a bit small especially for a 1080p screen

Also, does anyone know how much a 1080p screen will slow down the phone because that is really the only thing im worried about a 1080p phone. Reading reviews, the Galaxy S4 is supposed to be a bit laggy because it has a 1080p screen, but it has 2 gb of ram! (Mind you, saying that, it cant be worse than my g300 which i have been putting up with)

Edited by arranhs

Guest tillaz

faea battery is very small and average- 2000mah unfortunately, so not for me.

Very small? I wouldn't say so...

not for a 4.5 inch display, it probbably works out the same as the vowney battery because of the smaller screen by .5 inch,

also has a higher PPI on the smaller 4.5 inch display, even higher than my nexus at 330PPI

nexus 4 has a 2100mah on a 4.7 inch display and the battery easily lasts a day,

for me the faea f1 is perfect as I'm looking for something smaller, and has good design.