[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest ChrisPNE

Oh yeah I remember that. Hopefully it's the case for me :P by the way where is it supposed to go after Beijing ( I used the free postage option) ? Anyone know?

Mine was flown from Beijing, onto Madrid and then turned up on my doorstep in the UK.

Guest Maringer

The Faea F1 now has a benchmark video - its from the guy who also did the unboxking video:

Is that a good score??

Also, are there any custom ROMS for this, and are there any likely to be made?

A quick search for Antutu on the Vowney V5 brings up the following Merimobiles benchmark results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWpXlGgTRk

Check around 2 minutes 30 seconds in.

The Vowney has same screen resolution and the MT6589 (1.2Ghz quad-core Cortex-A7) has:

23% faster overall score.

16% faster RAM score

10% faster CPU score (providing the CPU total is the Integer + FPU score)

64% faster GPU score (again, providing the GPU total is 2D + 3D scores)

However, the FAEA has a 31% better I/O score, whatever that means!

The Vowney benchmark is using Antutu 3.3 and the FAEA is using 3.3.1 though how much difference this will make, I don't know.

Ultimately, if the measurements are correct, the Cortex-A5s in the FAEA hold up surprisingly well against the Cortex-A7s in the Vowney but, as expected, the GPU is much, much weaker. The Adreno 203 is just a bump over the 200 which is getting a bit long in the tooth, to say the least.

Guest dakok

Everybody knows about MUI, but have you ever heard of Muse UI?

Here`s a short example of how it looks like:

Muse UI 3.0 on Konka mtk6589 phone

Anyway, I finaly made up my mind and I`m buying a ZTE v987.

A bit pricey, but it has everything I was looking for

(Muse UI port, among less important stuff :D )

Guest dakok

Think I'm going to get this in black if its really only $245, just as a second phone.

http://www.fastcardtech.com/Umi-X2

Fastcardtech is one of less reliable stores.

Antelife is official UMI retailer.

Geekbuying has it for $253, To2C for $250 (more reliable than FCT)

ZTE v987 is much better phone for less than that price :P

If you dont like it`s panda look, then you have:

Quicksand case

Edited by dakok

Guest tillaz

Fastcardtech is one of less reliable stores.

Antelife is official UMI retailer.

Geekbuying has it for $253, To2C hifor $250 (more reliable than FCT)

ZTE v987 is much better phone for less than that price :P

If you dont like it`s panda look, then you have:

Quicksand case

Lol how is it much better?

Umi x2 has 2GB RAM 16GB ROM, 1080p OGS display and JB 4.2

The zte v987 I just looked at said it has half the RAM / ROM / RES and runs 4.1 at $249.

its a shame they didn't sell the zte grand S at this price as that is much better.

http://www.etotalk.com/zte-v987_p3668.html

Take note most of the pictures of the v987 are actually the grand S, like in the above link.

Guest dakok

LOL to you!

From FTC:

Anonymous user( 2013-06-22 08:12:59 ) from Finland Question & Comment

Its 2GB/16GB or 1/GB16GB?

OnlineSupport Replay ( 2013-06-22 11:01:36 )

Thanks for your inquiry, we only have the 1G RAM +16 GB ROM black version available, thanks!

ZTE v987:

name

support

g3: 900/2100MHz

otg

ogs

developer (Bruno from XDA)

accessories

battery 2500mAh

camera (very very good camera)

video rec. 1088pix

retina display (with less CPU stress)

JB is 4.2

price is much less than $249 :D (I`ll tell you where when I make an order :)

P.S. You shouldnt think of FTC as a reliable store or even consider it for anything at all...

Edited by dakok

Guest kieranswhite

Lol how is it much better?

Umi x2 has 2GB RAM 16GB ROM, 1080p OGS display and JB 4.2

The zte v987 I just looked at said it has half the RAM / ROM / RES and runs 4.1 at $249.

its a shame they didn't sell the zte grand S at this price as that is much better.

http://www.etotalk.c...v987_p3668.html

Take note most of the pictures of the v987 are actually the grand S, like in the above link.

Heres a review http://www.gizchina....2-turbo-review/

Remember theres are normal 1.2ghx and a turbo 1.5ghz

Edited by kieranswhite

Guest Rico_89

Think I'm going to get this in black if its really only $245, just as a second phone.

http://www.fastcardtech.com/Umi-X2

Nice phone but over £160 for 1gb of ram.. and from fastcardtech hmm. I just don't trust them. Now I have more experience buying from China I am seriously looking at the turbo versions of all the phones we have been looking at, but I don't think this year is right the time to buy them, which is one of the reasons I bought the V5. I think in the next six months a lot of these phones will be released, or more readily available, and the market will have calmed enough so you'll be able to get a more realistic price.

I would say to others that if you're looking for a second phone then 5" is the way to go IMO. It's easy to manage and it's like a laptop, tablet and smartphone all rolled into one. Also Microsoft Smart Glass is perfect on a five inch screen, works awesome with the 360, and I can't wait for the new Playstation app, that will port some aspects of the gaming screen to you smart phone. Imagine using your 5" screen as rear view mirror for GT6.. :) So even when you stop using it as your daily you'll still have a really good device to use around the house.

Guest dakok

Amen for 5" size.

If it was primary a phone usage, then 4 - 4.5" would be the right size.

But web browsing and games, etc. require more than that and with 5" - phoning isn`t that grotesque :)

Guest deuse

Amen for 5" size.

If it was primary a phone usage, then 4 - 4.5" would be the right size.

But web browsing and games, etc. require more than that and with 5" - phoning isn`t that grotesque :)

It depends on what you like. I have an old Nokis 8210 in black now that's small but good when I'm out on the town.

I also have a 5.7inch HD M6589 it's awesome! and great when I'm out were ever using maps\web\picture is great.

Guest JetKun

why are you even considering FCT when Merimobiles are selling the Umi X2 turbo 16gb for £160

OK, £170. http://www.merimobil..._p/meri8353.htm

edit: I was browsing 4pda.ru with google translate earlier for the Jiayu G4- TO2c is an avoid, apparently, as their support don't respond when you say you have something wrong

Edited by JetKun

Guest tillaz

firstly, i never said i was buying it from fastcardtech... just posted that link because it was showing as £0.00 on merrimobiles.

but what you posted still does not explain how it is much better than the umi x2, even if we are talking about the 1GB RAM version...

you must of meant its much better for you personally, because on paper its not, other than zte been a better manufacture.

name

support

g3: 900/2100MHz (same as umi x2)

otg (same as umi x2)

ogs (same as umi x2)

developer (Bruno from XDA) (this means nothing to me, or the phone its self)

accessories (same as umi x2)

battery 2500mAh (same as umi x2)

camera (very very good camera) (same as umi x2)

video rec. 1088pix (same as umi x2)

retina display (with less CPU stress) --- according to an antutu benchmark, which is designed to do that, not in real life usage

JB is 4.2 (same as umi x2)

UMI X2

http://www.merimobil..._p/meri8353.htm

more internal storage at 16GB

much better 1080p display

an extra 1GB RAM depending on the version

MTK6589T 1.5GHz depending on the version

and before people start with the 1080p display stuff... its all based on a lower benchmarking score... at around 12000 at 1080p

but if we are going to base stuff on benchmarks my old dual core tegra 2 was scoring 6000 and ran all games silky smooth...

i don't think people have actually looked at these 1080p devices in real life usage.. gaming etc.. in videos...

they are just just going off what they read or heard on here lol.

and people forget lag is "normally" down to badly optimised software, the UI on some apps "can" be a bit laggy, and some games at times...

even on my nexus 4 which scores 22000.... (because of poorly optimized software not the hardware).

Guest tillaz

this is the phone i wanted before receiving the nexus 4,

this red one to be exact.. just love the design of it, super thin.. had the best specs at the time...

but now i'm just waiting for a tegra 4 device... then i will sell the nexus 4 :)

Guest Rico_89

this is the phone i wanted before receiving the nexus 4,

this red one to be exact.. just love the design of it, super thin.. had the best specs at the time...

but now i'm just waiting for a tegra 4 device... then i will sell the nexus 4 :)

Looks really nice,one of the best designs I've seen. I think I remember you talking about it, or was that the ZTE Era?

Edited by Rico_89

Guest dakok

but what you posted still does not explain how it is much better than the umi x2, even if we are talking about the 1GB RAM version...

you must of meant its much better for you personally, because on paper its not, other than zte been a better manufacture.

- g3 - you are wrong here, X2 doesn`t have the 900MHz in g3 (UMTS)

- A good phone developer means something to everyone, why wouldn˙t you matter?

- X2 camera is much better on paper (f/2.0 - didn`t see that on any other MTK6589)

- retina display (with less CPU stress) - antutu doesn`t matter, less pixels with great display surely matters :)

Now, back to the better manufacture (which really matters in this case)

Build quality - not so good, just like in previous UMI models

The same thing happens again - according to a fresh Gizchina review

P.S.

You can`t blame me for personal view, and in the same reply say that developer from XDA means nothing to you (as a phone user).

That is personal, too :)

P.P.S.

UMI is badly represented on chinese android forums, just like Vowney (even xiaocai is pretty popular) - Guess why?

Guest tillaz

- g3 - you are wrong here, X2 doesn`t have the 900MHz in g3 (UMTS)

i think your wrong to be fair, even the mtk6577 devices i got my parents support the 900Hhz band for 3g and so does the V5

not to mention merrimobiles having it listed as supporting 900Mhz, see here for my proof http://www.modaco.co...40#entry2136844

so unless you can post the same proof from the UMI X2 i can only assume your wrong about that.

- A good phone developer means something to everyone, why wouldn˙t you matter?

probably because i'm a developer my self and don't need to rely on other people...

just like i build my own custom rom for my nexus 4 from source,

and all the other roms / mods / apps and small stuff i do for devices i don't even have... like the G300 & V5 ;)

- retina display (with less CPU stress) - antutu doesn`t matter, less pixels with great display surely matters smile.png

and a 1080p display looks even greater :)

as for performance, trust me, its unnoticeable in real life usage, watch a few videos and you will see for your self...

unless you or anyone else can prove otherwise its just a load of crap based of benchmarks what people seem to be brainwashed with,

Build quality - not so good, just like in previous UMI models

The same thing happens again - according to a fresh Gizchina review

been an owner of 3 different ZTE devices i can say the same about ZTE - poor build quality

but this is one of those things where you cant really say which has better until you have had both in your hand to be fair...

and again it would be a personal opinion.

You can`t blame me for personal view, and in the same reply say that developer from XDA means nothing to you (as a phone user).

That is personal, too smile.png

that's why i said "or the phone its self"

and remember i was talking about the 2GB RAM version at the time, not to mention there is a MTK6589T version which i doubt the v987 will get.

all in all i'm not arguing with you, i have better things to do, like finishing off my app and publishing it ;)

Guest Maringer

Tillaz, I have to note that I'm not sure why you're so excited about the Tegra 4.

From what we've seen from the A15 so far (notably in the Exynos), it isn't really a great fit for phones as power consumption is pretty high, leading to lower clocks to keep it within the right power envelope. Admittedly, the Exynos chip found in the SGS4 is screwed up so the big.LITTLE interaction doesn't work correctly, but I'd be surprised if the T4 ended up being any faster than the Snapdragon 800 which seems to be the one to beat.

Graphics-wise, the fastest GPU around would appear to be the Adreno 320 in the upcoming Snapdragon 800 and NVidia has never targetted top performance with their Tegra parts. I'd be amazed if it had more graphical grunt than either the Adreno 320 or the higher-end PowerVR GPUs.

NVidia's strategy with mobile chips in the past was to be 'first' out of the blocks and they managed this with the T2 (first dual-core A9) and T3 (first quad-core A9). The T4 is now late with no real indication it will be released shortly and I'd say the Snapdragon 800 has stolen most of the design wins for this chip.

Still, it will be good to see what the T4 offers when it eventually hits the market. I just doubt it will be as impressive as you hope!

Guest tillaz

Tillaz, I have to note that I'm not sure why you're so excited about the Tegra 4.

From what we've seen from the A15 so far (notably in the Exynos), it isn't really a great fit for phones as power consumption is pretty high, leading to lower clocks to keep it within the right power envelope. Admittedly, the Exynos chip found in the SGS4 is screwed up so the big.LITTLE interaction doesn't work correctly, but I'd be surprised if the T4 ended up being any faster than the Snapdragon 800 which seems to be the one to beat.

Graphics-wise, the fastest GPU around would appear to be the Adreno 320 in the upcoming Snapdragon 800 and NVidia has never targetted top performance with their Tegra parts. I'd be amazed if it had more graphical grunt than either the Adreno 320 or the higher-end PowerVR GPUs.

NVidia's strategy with mobile chips in the past was to be 'first' out of the blocks and they managed this with the T2 (first dual-core A9) and T3 (first quad-core A9). The T4 is now late with no real indication it will be released shortly and I'd say the Snapdragon 800 has stolen most of the design wins for this chip.

Still, it will be good to see what the T4 offers when it eventually hits the market. I just doubt it will be as impressive as you hope!

tegra 4 has already been shown off a while ago, and its already proven to use less power.

to think the Tegra 4's 72 core GPU is not better than the Adrerno 320 is obviously a mistake, you mean the 330.

the snapdragon 800 and tegra 4 are very closely matched in terms of benchmarks,

but the tegra 4 will get a lot of of exclusive games / optimized for Tegra 4 to take advantage of the 72 core GPU,

this is what i'm looking forward to, loved the exclusive / optimized games from my old Tegra 2 device (tegra zone)

take note there are two versions of Tegra 4

Tegra 4i & Tegra 4, you can see the differences here

http://www.nvidia.co...-processor.html

Guest akarana

Fog of War

Top 30 HD 1.5Ghz MT6589T Turbo Chinese phones - http://www.gizchina.com/2013/06/23/top-30-hd-1-5-ghz-mt6589t-chinese-phones/

Notice the smallest screen is Jiayu G4 at 4.7" followed by Konka Van Gogh (who?) at 4.8", all others 5" +

Prices from Neo N003 at 1080¥ thru to the big name big profit Acer LiquidS1 at 2600¥

Proving that the Chinese phone market is in runaway mode, 6 Turbo MT6589 models released today: http://www.gizchina.com/2013/06/25/6-top-quad-core-mt6589-phones-china/

Guest dakok

i think your wrong to be fair, even the mtk6577 devices i got my parents support the 900Hhz band for 3g and so does the V5....

.....so unless you can post the same proof from the UMI X2 i can only assume your wrong about that.

Well, I don`t have to proof that, manufacturer gives the band values on it`s official website:

http://www.91umi.com/product-111.html, and they are:

Band support:

2G: GSM 850/1800/1900

3G: WCDMA 850/2100Mhz

It may be that 1.2MHz models do have 900MHz, but you can`t find any specs for them there.

UMI displays only "new" (probably just overclocked), 1.5MHz models.

No point in arguing, I agree :D

Edited by dakok