[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest metal.mickey

looks like theres an issue with the rom and cwmod

again i cant post a link summut to do with this sgs10.1 settings. its on xda zte v967s

Guest dakok

beenlurking for a while, but have been looking at the Zte v967 at £108 it doent look too shoddy. have had a blade and a skate from zte without any problem

cant seem to post a link but its on etotalk

At Hotmid it is few quids more, and more than few quids less for shipping.

I bought ZTE v987 from them, no problems, phone rooted, google play, cwm in english.

Guest jamie_w

At Hotmid it is few quids more, and more than few quids less for shipping.

I bought ZTE v987 from them, no problems, phone rooted, google play, cwm in english.

Dakok would you recommended the ZTE v987? I'm looking to get a new phone in the next few months and was wanting a reasonable priced Quad core. Also if it was a duel sim can you still only use 1 sim card instead of 2?

Guest dakok

Highly recommended buy.

With nillkin frosted case which looks like the

part of phone body. Screen is stunning, great battery.

Rom that was on is perfectly smooth and responsive.

Decent support on xda, and soon (by me) a bunch of dechinesed chinese roms (miui, lewa, emui...).

Lewa rom has official weekly releases for it, and so has Miui from today (unofficial). Miui announced official dual card support for it by next spring.

I use single sim for now. :)

Edited by dakok

didn't try that much. Not worse than g300 at the time I got it. So this one should be better when I dive into engineering menu and fixes and future roms...

Guest apple2005

Did anyone use Zopo mobiles? Right now I am using zopo ZP950H. It's very good. I am using it for more than 4 months without a single complaint from it. Excellent build quality also. I am waiting for zopo Zp990 which I am thinking to buy.

www.zopomobileshop.com

Guest tillaz

found something interesting about the MTK6589...

have a read (found this when searching for source code)

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2376283

I was looking at the mt_cpufreq.c file in the leaked kernel source for the MTK 6589 SoC (the one running at 1.2 GHz), at https://github.com/v....e/mt_cpufreq.c

I noticed there were frequency settings above 1209 MHz defined there. The highest one, DVFS_F0_0 goes above 1.7 GHz.

The code that seems to define the maximum frequency starts on line 1573 of that file. It relies on the returned value of PTP_get_ptp_level to define it. Since PTP_get_ptp_level is just a external header on that file, I needed to search the git repo to find its definition. Turns out it is in this file mt_ptp.c. Pay special attention to line 1018 and below: https://github.com/v....mt_ptp.c#L1018

There's this interesting bit:

Code:

#if defined(MTK_FORCE_CPU_89T)

return 3; // 1.5GHz

#else

By returning 3, this function tells the frequency scaling driver that the CPU can go up to a 1.5 GHz clock.

I think I read the 6589T also has a higher GPU clock, and it can handle 2 GB of RAM with no problems. I'm not saying that the difference between the 6589 and the 6589T is just a kernel config, in fact, the chip most likely got a new revision. This source code leaked before there was any talk of a turbo revision of the 6589, so I think it's safe to assume that on newer code trees there may be fixes for the 2 GB of RAM and a higher GPU clock.

But I wonder, if the 6589 (not T) is able to go up to 1.5 GHz or even 1.7 GHz. It would be good if someone could compile that kernel with some modifications to make it think it will be running on a 6589T (adding a #define MTK_FORCE_CPU_89T should be enough) and see if it works fine. Since that source code came from a Acer model, maybe it would be easier to start tests on that device (because we can be sure the source is 100% compatible). I think it may run, but it may heat a lot or it may drive the voltage of the CPU up to a point where the phone's PCB is not prepared to deliver, causing damage (maybe the T revision chip fixes this).

if this was leaked before any talk of the T version it makes you think... especially since they don't ever release anything...

Guest Ascend

Received my Cubot GT99 this morning after ordering on Thursday evening.(Ebay)

Not had much time to play with it yet but seems veeery responsive. Quicker than my Samsung S3, although I don't know how this can be ??

Came with screen protector, already applied, a clear plastic case for back and an 8Gb Micro SD card.

If there are any questions fire away and I'll try to answer.

Guest Ascend

I live in the country but have had it in both country and city today. No problem that I could see. I'm on "3" network.

One small problem. Tried to login to my Amazon account and got a message to turn on Cookies. When I checked they are on. Anyone got any ideas??

Guest ChrisPNE

Not had much time to play with it yet but seems veeery responsive. Quicker than my Samsung S3, although I don't know how this can be ??

Came with screen protector, already applied, a clear plastic case for back and an 8Gb Micro SD card.

That's how much Touchwiz slows down Samsung phones.

Guest dalyer

Is it within the forum rules for you to post details of which eBay seller you bought from?

What price - including P&P and taxes if applicable?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by dalyer

Great news for Xiaomi fans:

We were excited about Xiaomi Red Rice phone price and specs. Price especially. :)

Then disapointed with 3g specs - TD SCDMA was usable in China only. :(

Today, Xiaomi anounced that Red Rice goes WCDMA!

(for ignorants - it means that 3g works)

For the same price of $129 (in China)!!!

http://www.anqu.com/wenda_560/48717/

679437_1375443793_1.jpg

Regarding actual TD version - sale numbers are:

Xiaomi unveiled its new budget smartphone on July 31, setting the price at just $129. Red Rice aka Xiaomi Hongmi,

soon attracted 7.45 million pre-orders. Today at midday, Xiaomi put its first batch of 100,000 Hongmi phones up for sale,

and all available models were snapped up in 90 seconds.

http://www.techinasi...-in-90-seconds/

Check Red Rice features and endurance tests data!

http://translate.goo.../hongmi&act=url

Edited by dakok

Guest Ascend

Is it within the forum rules for you to post details of which eBay seller you bought from?

What price - including P&P and taxes if applicable?

Thanks a lot.

eBay seller was 2012teabag and when the Paypal receipt came up it was Pandawill.

Pandawill is a Chinese supplier.

Cost was 117.99 delivered from London so there were no import taxes. The particular listing I bought from had 10 available but these are all gone now.

You can buy direct from Pandawill in China for just over £100. (Other suppliers available)

Import taxes are in the lap of the Gods?! Sometimes they get picked up by Customs, sometimes they don't.

Hope this helps.

Guest Armadillo1

eBay seller was 2012teabag and when the Paypal receipt came up it was Pandawill.

Cost was 117.99 delivered from London so there were no import taxes. The particular listing I bought from had 10 available but these are all gone now.

You can buy direct from Pandawill in China for just over £100. (Other suppliers available)

Import taxes are in the lap of the Gods?! Sometimes they get picked up by Customs, sometimes they don't.

Hope this helps.

I ordered literally a couple of hours after you but when I contacted them yesterday they said they were out of stock but would be restocking within the next 'few days'.

So hopefully more will come soon :)

Have a look here...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400543875214?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hope this helps.

how's the phone overall, any issues with 3g or gps?

Guest Sere83

Great news for Xiaomi fans:

We were excited about Xiaomi Red Rice phone price and specs. Price especially. :)

Then disapointed with 3g specs - TD SCDMA was usable in China only. :(

Today, Xiaomi anounced that Red Rice goes WCDMA!

(for ignorants - it means that 3g works)

For the same price of $129 (in China)!!!

http://www.anqu.com/wenda_560/48717/

679437_1375443793_1.jpg

Regarding actual TD version - sale numbers are:

Xiaomi unveiled its new budget smartphone on July 31, setting the price at just $129. Red Rice aka Xiaomi Hongmi,

soon attracted 7.45 million pre-orders. Today at midday, Xiaomi put its first batch of 100,000 Hongmi phones up for sale,

and all available models were snapped up in 90 seconds.

http://www.techinasi...-in-90-seconds/

Check Red Rice features and endurance tests data!

http://translate.goo.../hongmi&act=url

Holy Crap!! Cant believe they announced WCDMA version! I'M DEFINITELY GETTING ONE

Guest dalyer

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. If it's shipped from outside the EU to inside then I guess that taxes etc. are a lottery. If it's shipped from within the EU then should not be an issue.

Holy Crap!! Cant believe they announced WCDMA version! I'M DEFINITELY GETTING ONE

Now we have enough time to search for a reliable xiaomi red rice seller

with a price close to those in China.