[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Frankish

@tillaz

Can you post a mini review of your Xiaocai x9 ASAP as I want to order tomorrow based on your feedback (no responsibility lies with you of course ha ha) I just want to know basics, build quality, camera usability, ease of root and custom recovery. Any sources for me to read on as I can't find much via google?!

It will be a spare phone to replace my Y300 which I will sell on. Thanks.

EDIT:

Took the plunge and ordered the XiaoCai X9 from DealsPrime. Tried to ask for the green back and asked them to mark it as a gift/low value to avoid customs charges (even if i get charged its good). I went with free shipping option not sure that was wise? Although if tillaz only paid 96 quid i assume he went with the free shipping option.

I'm very nervous now even though i paid with PayPal, won't be comfortable until the phone arrives and i test it out etc. Also need to find CWM Recovery for it too...

Edited by Frankish

Guest moorish

EDIT:

Took the plunge and ordered the XiaoCai X9 from DealsPrime. Tried to ask for the green back and asked them to mark it as a gift/low value to avoid customs charges (even if i get charged its good). I went with free shipping option not sure that was wise? Although if tillaz only paid 96 quid i assume he went with the free shipping option.

I'm very nervous now even though i paid with PayPal, won't be comfortable until the phone arrives and i test it out etc. Also need to find CWM Recovery for it too...

If you dont mind me asking, what made you choose the XiaoCai X9 over Cubot GT99?

Guest Frankish

Oh god don't make me doubt what I've bought now :( it does look like the cubot is a better buy. Better battery, screen and camera. Costs a little bit more by the looks of it but not much. I was looking at stuff on the lower side of 100 pound that's all.

Cubot is rebranded xyz x1 phone.

So camera is probably interpolated and battery

covered with another sticker.

Not 100% sure of this, but if gt99 has mass of 150g,

just like xyx x1 does, then they share the same

battery which is 1800mAh.

Why is cubot so popular? Because it is the

cheapest quad mtk phone. It is not bad, but

there is no reason why another, 10 - 20 quid

more expencive phone couldn't be better

built or have better software and comunity

support.

Monkey see, monkey do.

On many mobile phone forums you will

find that gt99 is a popular buy.

Mainly for two reasons:

it is insanely cheap and

everybody's buying it.

Nothing wrong with that, but it is symptomatic

that nobody buys phones with similar specs,

but costing few quids more.

I would rather choose xiaocai over cubot for

two reasons:

xiaocai is original manufacturer

x9 has semi-official miui rom at miui.com

Guest Frankish
Cubot is rebranded xyz x1 phone.

So camera is probably interpolated and battery

covered with another sticker.

Not 100% sure of this, but if gt99 has mass of 150g,

just like xyx x1 does, then they share the same

battery which is 1800mAh.

Why is cubot so popular? Because it is the

cheapest quad mtk phone. It is not bad, but

there is no reason why another, 10 - 20 quid

more expencive phone couldn't be better

built or have better software and comunity

support.

Monkey see, monkey do.

On many mobile phone forums you will

find that gt99 is a popular buy.

Mainly for two reasons:

it is insanely cheap and

everybody's buying it.

Nothing wrong with that, but it is symptomatic

that nobody buys phones with similar specs,

but costing few quids more.

I would rather choose xiaocai over cubot for

two reasons:

xiaocai is original manufacturer

x9 has semi-official miui rom at miui.com

Just made me feel a lot better about my buy!! Thank you. MIUI was part of the reason I bought the x9 too. Have you any sources for CWM recovery? Or TWRP? Thanks.

Guest moorish

Oh god don't make me doubt what I've bought now :( it does look like the cubot is a better buy. Better battery, screen and camera. Costs a little bit more by the looks of it but not much. I was looking at stuff on the lower side of 100 pound that's all.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make you doubt your choice. It's just that I am looking to get one of these phones as well after returning faulty Vowney V5. Trying to weigh up the pro's and cons of each phone and I have looked at so many that it's getting really confusing. There's too much choice!

I am sure XiaoCai X9 is good phone and you can't really go wrong at that price. Important thing is to get the phone that is right for you at the price that is right. That is what I am trying to figure out for me.

Just made me feel a lot better about my buy!! Thank you. MIUI was part of the reason I bought the x9 too. Have you any sources for CWM recovery? Or TWRP? Thanks.

Here is simple tutorial for CWM building.

Or, wait for Tillaz to make one. :)

For x9 roms, bookmark this links:

Here is MIUI

x9 is supported from LeWa OS, too. Use google chrome to translate,

Your phone name is translated as "small mining" x9 and it is positioned at the page bottom, under: "others".

Lewa build is from today, MIUI will be out every friday, too (I guess).

EDIT:

Found something here

Edited by dakok

Guest Frankish

Thanks for the links I think I'll wait for Tillaz to port CWM or something if he is going to as I've not built CWM for any device before I'm sure I'd manage but I don't have the time to!

Wonder how long DealsPrime will take to get the phone to me?

Edited by Frankish

@tillaz

Took the plunge and ordered the XiaoCai X9 from DealsPrime.

Best of luck, hope you get on better than this guy: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/81889-chinagrabber-shadyspammers-ripoff/

Guest tillaz

More or less the same review in English by the same guy.

yeah, the one in german shows quite a bit more of the phone close up though

i will be building TWRP for the xiaocai x9 when i get round to it, don't think i could go back to using CWM again.

not sure when though as i'm currently updating all my apps and stuff on the play store.

also, i ordered the THL W200 last night for my grandparent for £126 with free delivery, will have a nosey before i pass it on lol

Guest tillaz

Best of luck, hope you get on better than this guy: http://www.slatedroi...pammers-ripoff/

is there actually any proof that chinagrabber is the same company as dealsprime ?

the only people i see complaining about dealsprime are all about a bad product,

which is actually down to the manufactures of the device, not the retailer

http://www.apad.tv/a...ime.com-Reviews

EDIT

lol if search the web you will always find someone claiming a site is a scam... i personally know those below are a load of shite

Merimobiles

http://www.ripoffrep...stomer-s-952793

Dealsprime

http://www.ripoffrep...o-ethics-940491

Fastcardtech

http://www.fastcardtech.nl/

most of these people obviously have never heard of PayPal...

if you pay via PayPal it makes it impossible for any site to scam you... and they know it, and try to avoid it by all means for the simple reason if you escalate a dispute to PayPal for a refund it eventually ends up with there account having restrictions put on which means they can't cash out money from sales until a 30 day period has passed (unless on eBay and the buyer gives good feedback, which can speed it up)

Guest Frankish

Tillaz please tell me you ordered your X9 from DealsPrime as i ordered off the link you posted assuming that was where you ordered from?

I've had no emails after my initial buy but were going into the bank holiday weekend after all.

Of course i'd not blame you for my choice to order from there i just don't know wether to wait it out now or try for a refund?

Edited by Frankish

Guest tillaz

Tillaz please tell me you ordered your X9 from DealsPrime as i ordered off the link you posted assuming that was where you ordered from?

I've had no emails after my initial buy but were going into the bank holiday weekend after all.

Of course i'd not blame you for my choice to order from there i just don't know wether to wait it out now or try for a refund?

i did yes, i also received an email instantly (its sent to the same address your papal is registered to)

post-913969-0-75558500-1377283843_thumb.

also, if you registered an account before buying you can check the progress from "my account"

it normally takes 4 to 5 days for it to actually be posted, was the same every time i ordered from merimibiles

if you did not register an account send them an email asking for the tracking number once its sent.

Thanks to all ( esp dakok & tillaz)) for the info - I can't resist a bargain & have been following with interest. Still pretty happy with my G300 but these phones are fantastic value. Currently thinking along the lines of "if it's good enough for tillaz's grandad...................but also wondering if it's worth waiting for Red Rice WCDMA................... :wacko:

Btw tillaz - just to clarify, when you said " those below are a load of shite" you meant the comments / critisism & not the merchants - right?

Guest Frankish

Yeah i meant i got my initial email to confirm my order etc so i imagine i'll wait til after the bank holiday for them to send it and email me again. Thanks for the replies.

the only people i see complaining about dealsprime are all about a bad product,

which is actually down to the manufactures of the device, not the retailer...

I don´t think so.

It is retailers responsibility too.

Honest (read: smart) seller will take care not to sell bad products ("brands").

Guest trashbat

Thanks to all ( esp dakok & tillaz)) for the info - I can't resist a bargain & have been following with interest. Still pretty happy with my G300 but these phones are fantastic value. Currently thinking along the lines of "if it's good enough for tillaz's grandad...................but also wondering if it's worth waiting for Red Rice WCDMA................... :wacko:

Btw tillaz - just to clarify, when you said " those below are a load of shite" you meant the comments / critisism & not the merchants - right?

personally i would wait for red rice if you are sitll pretty happy with the g300

Guest ChrisPNE

I think he meant the criticism, not the retailers.

Many of us have bought from Merimobiles with no problems.

Thanks guys; will wait until price, spec & availability of Xiaomi mi3 are clear. Maybe by then tillaz will have let us know what he thinks of the THL W200. Then time to pick my early Xmas present :)

Oh just one other thought - will we be changing our phones again in a few months for 4G enabled ones? :blink:

Guest ChrisPNE
Thanks guys; will wait until price, spec & availability of Xiaomi mi3 are clear. Maybe by then tillaz will have let us know what he thinks of the THL W200. Then time to pick my early Xmas present :)

Oh just one other thought - will we be changing our phones again in a few months for 4G enabled ones? :blink:

Given the speeds available on H+ I don't really see the point switching to 4G.