[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Frankish

Has anyone any info on how to root Xiaocai X9 then? And any custom recoveries for it yet? Really hard to google when it's all in Chinese and translates to small mining or whatever it is ha ha. That Amoi is ugly looking ha ha.

Edited by Frankish

Guest tillaz

Has anyone any info on how to root Xiaocai X9 then? And any custom recoveries for it yet? Really hard to google when it's all in Chinese and translates to small mining or whatever it is ha ha. That Amoi is ugly looking ha ha.

by the time you have your phone i will have a guide in the "other" section for root & twrp

Guest Frankish

by the time you have your phone i will have a guide in the "other" section for root & twrp

That's great Tillaz. How long did yours take from order to arrival? I keep looking at it online and getting excited ha ha.

Also the "other" section needs a clean up its full of spam!! Need a moderator in there.

Guest Implantman

Yeah i meant i got my initial email to confirm my order etc so i imagine i'll wait til after the bank holiday for them to send it and email me again. Thanks for the replies.

Bought Lenovo A830 in June from DealsPrime but haven't yet received my order.

Hopefully your order is processed more quickly.

Edited by Implantman

Guest tillaz

Bought Lenovo A830 in June from DealsPrime but haven't yet received my order.

Hopefully your order is processed more quickly.

to be honest if i did not have a tracking number after two weeks i would report the company to paypal and get a refund,

i went through a nightmare trying to get my parents phones last year from china... must of had 8 or 9 refunds across multiple sites... in including merimobiles

who i ended up going back to after 3 previous refunds for 3 different devices that were not actually in stock, (which they said were)

4th one must of actually been in stock as it was sent out with in 3 days of placing the order.

My Opinion: (from lots of personal experience's)

The majority of china sites blatantly lie about stock and will keep you'r order even if stock is not due for months rather than letting you know...

they will say an item is in stock when it really is not and keep your money while they wait / try to get stock,

that's why after 1/2 weeks i will force a refund via paypal if i have no tracking number as its obviously not in stock

Guest metal.mickey

just checked the DHL tracking website and my phone is now at the Gatwick depot...looks like it will be with me tomorrow.

Yay

ordered on friday the 16th at about 8pm

mm

Guest kyan31
just checked the DHL tracking website and my phone is now at the Gatwick depot...looks like it will be with me tomorrow.

Yay

ordered on friday the 16th at about 8pm

mm

Yay :D

Hey just as an off-topic point on this off-topic thread, you know what else on aliexpress seems to be of reasonable quality and pretty cheap? Fountain pens and it seems a lot of them are going on sale tomorrow (27th). Totally irelevant I know...

Guest Frankish

Still no email of shipping of my phone but suppose it has been weekend. I spoke to them on chat and they said Monday or Tuesday. Can't seem to answer of my x9 will be sent with the green case I requested or whether it will just come white and I have to order the green back separate?!

Thoughts on the neo n003youth? Its about $200, has mhl and 1080p.6589T also

Been watching this one for a while. Looks very good.

There is an unboxing video on gizchina soon to be followed by a full test/review. Depending on that full review I think I will get one. The only personal downside so far is lack of a silicon case for it.

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/08/23/video-neo-n003-unboxing-hands-first-impressions/

Thoughts on the neo n003youth? Its about $200, has mhl and 1080p.6589T also

Seems pretty decent and well built but the camera performance looks pretty poor for even mobile standards.

Seems pretty decent and well built but the camera performance looks pretty poor for even mobile standards.

Have you seen a review of the camera on the phone or sample photos?

Guest JetKun

Are there pictures with it's camera flash on? Review sites never bother with it but it can be important

Rio N003 uses a new generation back-illuminated CMOS 13 million pixel

Sony camera,

F/2.0 large aperture,

27mm super wide angle,

the lens contains five groups, with blue glass infrared filter to reduce stray light cast, imaging results more pure real! Still shooting portraits and still as iPhone 4S. Especially in low-light conditions, ISO to Auto, noise significantly less than the iPhone 4S.

Rio N003 also has a second-generation 3 million pixel front camera, and front and rear camera can support 1080p HD video.

I could find some sample photos, but I´m pretty sure that N003 has great camera...

Edited by dakok

Some NEO N003 sample photos here: http://www.chinapadmall.com/blog/neo-n003-camera/

Although they look a bit washed out to me. I will wait for the gizchina full video review.

I also remember reading about some early pre-production model photo samples which were not very good (can't remember where though!), but I think all the issues were supposed to be rectified now. I really hope it is a good camera!

is there actually any proof that chinagrabber is the same company as dealsprime ?

Yes, when they switched over their site to dealsprime, they left a lot of references to Chinagrabber in product descriptions, warranty info, returns details. Mostly tidied up now but still a few on the site ( http://dealsprime.com/2-din-car-audi-a3-dvd-player-7-car-gps-navigation-for-audi-a3-a379.html ).

From that page: do take note for ANY installations of parts & accessories on the interior/exterior of your vehicle are recommended to be done by any of your local Qualified carparts experts/individuals ONLY. This is to ensure proper handling during & after installation of the parts & accessories that may cause some mishandling that leads to damages/faulties, ChinaGrabber will not responsible to any unwarranted misuse/abuse by the customer. "

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/33809-chinagrabber-changed-to-dealsprime/

I am well aware that you will find bad reports on most suppliers, but Chinagrabber/GadgetGreats/IG8/Dealsprime are among the worst, and the Apad.TV forum is merely set up to get you to buy from one of their sites, but if there is an issue they don't want to know. If you post anything bad on the forum about either the products or their sites, you get banned and your posts get removed.

No other supplier that I am aware of carries on with that sort of set up.

I would not order anything from any of their sites after my experience and would advise everyone to buy elsewhere if you can.

I am sure there are plenty of customers with no issues, but those that have had issues have not been looked after.

Their 'no refunds policy' and the fact you have to pay $30 'replacement fee' if they do decide to replace your item.

from their site also:

Customer will be responsible for a $30 fee for replacements.

*Shipping cost for all repairs, replacements, or wrong items must be paid by the customer.

Refunds

ALL SALES ARE FINAL

We do not offer any refunds at anytime. If the unit is defective then we may offer to repair it or replace it.

If a unit is sent back without approval, then it will be returned to the customer.

Guest bladebuddy

Dakok

Could you please tell me what you think of you're ZTE V987 as I am looking to buy that or the ZTE V967S as there both very similar in specs. I have read that some have touch screen problems and I am not to sure about GPS and compass working. Also does the 2500 amp battery last as long as I would expect it to, or does the massive screen suck the juice.

Also sound volume and anything else you might consider a deal beaker.

I know roms are out for both phones that may or may not fix any issues.

I have also pre ordered the RED RICE but unsure about how long this might take to be released. In need of a phone quiet quickly as my g300 has been playing up , and is getting worse since its rebuild.

Thanks in advance. J

Can't remember where I saw the sample pics but if you go on YouTube and search neo n003 and sort by date, you should get some sample videos. Also the unboxing on the gizchina website (and its comments) might be worth a look.

Guest JetKun

I could find some sample photos, but I´m pretty sure that N003 has great camera...

Yep, the Neo N003 packs this former high-end sensor Omnivision OV12830.

It's not that I'm worried about though, it's low light performance...in fact, it's no-light performance. I'm wondering if pictures in urban darkness, i.e a picture of a streetlit urban area, or people at night, would be good with the camera. It's the flash that's dodgy.

In fact, pretty much every single chinese phone I've seen has dodgy flash so far. It's like, 'take a picture about 5m away from the subject and the camera can't do anything' even with flash on. Worst offender is the ZTE Skate imo.

tl;dr: The camera is probably brilliant at everything, but if the flash is rubbish at night pfft. Also, is TTMALLS a good place to buy the thing?

Edited by JetKun

@bladebuddy

Regarding v987:

Touchcsreen - no problems at all

Back & Home "buttons" - depending on rom. Now on latest MIUI - not perfect but much better than on another build. It is probably up to software. I guess it will be solved.

No compass.

GPS - no much testing, but it locks within a minute. For car navigation - OK, for tracking - probably not so good, as it usually is with MTK chip.

Battery - close to 2 days with cca 8h of screen on. Sattisfied :)

Volume - Good. Better than on g300, phoning sound volumes - good. Phoning is very good.

Build quality is very good, except for a spot on back cover where one clip doesn´t click in. But Nillkin hard case fits like a phone body part, so it doesn´t really matter. :)

There are few roms for v987, all very smooth and good. There is a bunch of others I didn`t try.

It has official support from MIUI and Lewa, which is an important fact when you have to decide which phone you should buy. Same goes to v967s.

Edited by dakok