[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest LesMcQueen

Hi guys.

Looks look I might shortly be getting my store credit through from the return of a faulty Vowney V5 from Merimobiles.

I'm looking at either a Jiayu G4, or a ZTE V987 as a replacement.

The sheer number of options available has got my head spinning. :-o The poll on this thread seem to point at the Jiayu G4 - Is this still valid? Are there better phones on the market, or on the horizon (Red Rice anyone?)

Help put me out of my misery.

Thanks in advance.

You can neglect poll.

It is populated with models that were interesting

6 months ago. Everybody was waiting for and talking about jiayu and neo then.

Many interesting models appeared in stores since then.

Another thing, poll shows mostly the wishes, not the

actual phone experience.

For a more reliable user experience, I would recomend

using chrome browser with translation and spend some time digging on chinese mobile portals (check my table

in sig, ratings tab and mtk phone tab - bottom link to zol.com)

Chinese like amoi n828, v967s, lenovo 820, newman k1 and xyz x1 aka cubot gt99.

Pepper q1 is popular, too.

Good cheap phone is haier w910, although it doesn't

have a good jb yet.

Xiaocai x9 is good. My phone is not bad, either :).

I saw v987 detailed pro & contra poll at 4pda forum topic.

It is a huge mobile forum. I guess you can check your

preferred model there.

Edited by dakok

Guest Robosama

I'm interested in buying a new phone and Chinese androids came up, figured I'd have a look at what's out there. The main issue is I don't know what's current, which sites are trusted (and preferably do DHL shipping). Then of course I have to find a phone with nice specs that isn't ruined by a tiny battery, decent rom available is another thing to check. Reviews and that too, if any are out there.

Any recommendations? Wouldn't want to spend more than £200.

Edited by Robosama

Guest apple2005

Hi all,

Please suggest me the best and cheapest 4.7 or 5 inch phone. I want to gift to someone. The screen should be good and the phone durable. Thanks in advance.

Guest tillaz

Me too lost my money with dealsprime, It's a scam site!

did you use paypal ?

Ooh.....looks like Google have just dropped the price of the Nexus 4 til 159/199 pounds. At that price, is it even worth considering a chinese phone?

Well, unless you just don't have 159/199 of course.

https://play.google....4_16gb&hl=en_GB

for £159 you wont get better hardware, build quality & software that's for sure, the display on the nexus 4 is on another level to anything i have seen before...

the only thing that comes close is the iphone 5 display which is also laminated onto the glass like the nexus (my opinion)

shame it has no external sd card slot... the advertised 8GB is only really 5.5GB which is useless to be honest.

Edit:

this is good and bad news for me lol, now i have to sell my 16gb version for less... but means the nexus 5 & KLP is close :)

Guest Armadillo1

did you use paypal ?

for £159 you wont get better hardware, build quality & software that's for sure, the display on the nexus 4 is on another level to anything i have seen before...

the only thing that comes close is the iphone 5 display which is also laminated onto the glass like the nexus (my opinion)

shame it has no external sd card slot... the advertised 8GB is only really 5.5GB which is useless to be honest.

Edit:

this is good and bad news for me lol, now i have to sell my 16gb version for less... but means the nexus 5 & KLP is close :)

I went ahead and bought the 16 GB version.

I think if/when I decide to sell it, I will certainly get a lot more than some chinese brand which is unknown to the public. I can imagine Mazuma etc. take even Lenovo and Xiaomi, let alone smaller brands.

This might be a consideration for most people, but it is for me.

Only thing that annoys me is the fact that the buttons are on screen and takes up screen space unless watching a video. I'm looking into fixes for that as I'd like to have as big a screen as possible.

Guest tillaz

I went ahead and bought the 16 GB version.

I think if/when I decide to sell it, I will certainly get a lot more than some chinese brand which is unknown to the public. I can imagine Mazuma etc. take even Lenovo and Xiaomi, let alone smaller brands.

This might be a consideration for most people, but it is for me.

Only thing that annoys me is the fact that the buttons are on screen and takes up screen space unless watching a video. I'm looking into fixes for that as I'd like to have as big a screen as possible.

most custom roms have pie controls with the expanded desktop option, i use pie controls often but find them a bit awkward

or if you don't want to use a custom rom you can use this which also works great, but you will need root

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2253770

Newest Xiaomi flagship Phone (with a big P!)

Xiaomi M3

101015xz0x8zqsj5xc75e8.jpg

001.jpg

003(1).jpg

This is how an average chinese phone model will look like in a year or two...

EDIT:

Sorry, this images are not the real stuff.

We`ll have to wait few days more.

Edited by dakok

Guest george109

Xiaomi M3

101015xz0x8zqsj5xc75e8.jpg

001.jpg

003(1).jpg

Wow, They look amazing! I WANT ONE NOW!!! :P

Do you think they will be the same price as most of the other phones on here?

Guest Maringer

Look a bit render-ish to me, though that doesn't mean that the final phone won't look like this.

More angular than most recent phones but very, very slim bezels if those pictures are to be believed.

However, this will be a high end device so I'd be surprised if it was all that much cheaper than the current flagship phones from the major manufacturers.

Guest Frankish

Yeah i was sure there wasn't any confimed specs yet that's why i asked.

Also seems my tracking number like expected isn't trackable!! Guess i just have to wait up to 3 weeks or so?

Guest arranhs

I'm interested in buying a new phone and Chinese androids came up, figured I'd have a look at what's out there. The main issue is I don't know what's current, which sites are trusted (and preferably do DHL shipping). Then of course I have to find a phone with nice specs that isn't ruined by a tiny battery, decent rom available is another thing to check. Reviews and that too, if any are out there.

Any recommendations? Wouldn't want to spend more than £200.

I suggest the Nexus 4 especially with its new price.That is unless you specifically want a chinese phone

Who cares for Google phones?

Why?

Because I won´t get this answer from any chinese manufacturer:

( I can even get google play apps through MIUI market app :))

Really? Where in the world do you live?!

Its been an absolute pleasure taking part in this topic guys, there have many interesting discussions going round over the past 6 months or so and it been fun to be part of them. However after the £80 Nexus 4 price cut yesterday i decided to shell out a bit more money to buy a 16GB N4 (seriously £200 is ridiculously good for that phone). I still might hang around here occasionally though because i might still decide to buy a chinese phone as a secondary phone. I wish you all the best with getting your desired phones :)

Edited by arranhs

Really? Where in the world do you live?!

I live in a part of the world where you can freely

drink tap water, sleep overnight on a park bench,

go swimming in the transparently blue sea (sea temperature drops

to chilly 21°C today) every day during summer.

There is a dark side of such life but I don't want

to spoil this now.

:)

Guest tillaz

Xiaomi M3

003(1).jpg

these renders have been on the net for quite a while now, and i'm sure have already been said to be fake by Xiaomi (will post it if can find)

but apparently the Xiaomi M3 will be unveiled on the 5th sep ?

http://www.gizchina....go-home-button/

Edit:

this could be legit leak though,

http://www.gizmochina.com/2013/07/09/xiaomi-mi3-real-phone-picture-leaked/

@ tillaz

Pictures in my post are from xiaomi.com.

I doubt they would fake m3 images few days before

conference.

That image from your link looks more fake.

Sharp edges and screen greasy like someone used it for wiping

mouth after loose lamb

broach dinner party.

My zte screen never managed to get even fraction of that

animal fats.

Xiaomi wouldn't go oleophilic for its flagship model

Edited by dakok