[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Dealsprime have just contacted me to say that Hong Kong Post are no longer accepting packages, especially ones containing batteries such as phones. Therefore, I either pay an extra $15 for DHL shipping, or cancel the order for a refund.

Hmmm. I'm in two minds, really. One the one hand, I don't actually need the phone - I was just buying it to play around with before (probably) passing it along to a relative. From experience, I know that I'll almost certainly be stung for VAT if the phone comes via DHL so the additional cost would be more than just a tenner or so for the post. At less than 80 quid, it's an unbelievable bargain. If I end up paying another 25% on top of that, I'll be less happy.

Probably best for me to cancel the order, really, but I'll mull it over tonight before I make my decision.

One thing I'll say about Dealsprime is their communications are pretty good. Prompt replies to queries in good (native) English so no difficulties there.

That's odd - my Haier W910 seems to have shipped OK via Singapore Post and I can track it on the singpost.com website. This was the free delivery option. Not sure if different stock originates from different regions? Or if the fact that I'm in Ireland makes any difference?

Regarding DHL I thought that somebody (Frankish maybe?) mentioned that going with DHL raised the risk of getting hit for taxes on entry to your country? I could be wrong but maybe check back through this thread if it's not too late.

My experience with DealsPrime communication is less positive than yours. They never answered either of my communications even if the item eventually shipped after the second one - whether or not this was coincidence...

Guest Maringer

Yeah, the e-mail noted that they can't send to the UK via Singapore Post. I assume that post to Ireland isn't an issue with SP so you're in luck!

From experience, I know that DHL tend to catch you with the tax. I ordered a tablet from China the other year and, though it was marked as a relatively low value 'photo frame' in the documentation, DHL sent me a VAT invoice about a week later based on the value of the item stated on the packaging. Only another tenner or so at the time which I didn't mind, but it all adds up!

In comparison, I ordered a phone a few months ago from FAEA (which was sent using HK post, I think) and no additional charges came through. I was just delivered with no further issues.

Guest Maringer

Yeah, the e-mail noted that they can't send to the UK via Singapore Post. I assume that post to Ireland isn't an issue with SP so you're in luck!

From experience, I know that DHL tend to catch you with the tax. I ordered a tablet from China the other year and, though it was marked as a relatively low value 'photo frame' in the documentation, DHL sent me a VAT invoice about a week later based on the value of the item stated on the packaging. Only another tenner or so at the time which I didn't mind, but it all adds up!

In comparison, I ordered a phone a few months ago from FAEA (which was sent using HK post, I think) and no additional charges came through. It was just delivered with no further issues.

"Hong Kong Lee Tong" also has a ring to it... :D

On the other hand I remember when I thought that Lucky Goldstar was some sort of joke name and look at them now... :o

Edited by dalyer

Guest metal.mickey

cant seem to edit the build.prop file in es file exp. ive edited and i get a popup for the line terminator and i select dos. the i get error occured message

and file isnt saved.

any ideas

Guys..

So I have MIUI rom on my X9 :) just rooted it ( again ) I`ve found a MIUI gapps, but looking inside it doesn`t have googleplay etc..

Other gapps I`ve checked say not to install on 4.2.1

Frankish.. Did you get google play etc on yours? if so how and where :)

thanks

I belive that you can flash that other gapps, too. Important things is that you flash gapps

after you reboot from flashing rom.

Don`t do rom+gapps flashing together

....and now I can't even access mobile uncle tools engineer mode, just doesn't work

Did you try to fast tap on:

about phone - android version (or kernel)

It might enable settings - stock option (engineer menu)

cant seem to edit the build.prop file in es file exp. ive edited and i get a popup for the line terminator and i select dos. the i get error occured message

and file isnt saved.

any ideas

Apologies if this is obvious to you already but have you mounted the partition in read-write mode?

http://www.guidingtech.com/14709/es-file-explorer-edit-modify-system-files-android/

Guest Frankish

Well, further news.

Dealsprime have just contacted me to say that Hong Kong Post are no longer accepting packages, especially ones containing batteries such as phones. Therefore, I either pay an extra $15 for DHL shipping, or cancel the order for a refund.

Hmmm. I'm in two minds, really. One the one hand, I don't actually need the phone - I was just buying it to play around with before (probably) passing it along to a relative. From experience, I know that I'll almost certainly be stung for VAT if the phone comes via DHL so the additional cost would be more than just a tenner or so for the post. At less than 80 quid, it's an unbelievable bargain. If I end up paying another 25% on top of that, I'll be less happy.

Probably best for me to cancel the order, really, but I'll mull it over tonight before I make my decision.

One thing I'll say about Dealsprime is their communications are pretty good. Prompt replies to queries in good (native) English so no difficulties there.

That is pretty damn disappointing! Seems a bit odd but oh well.

Guys..

So I have MIUI rom on my X9 :) just rooted it ( again ) I`ve found a MIUI gapps, but looking inside it doesn`t have googleplay etc..

Other gapps I`ve checked say not to install on 4.2.1

Frankish.. Did you get google play etc on yours? if so how and where :)

thanks

Just go to miuiandroid.com and download the 4.2.x gapps and install. As mentioned install rom, let it boot, then install gapps.

and file isnt saved.

any ideas

I had this issue which phone is this on? It's down to the boot.img, even though you have root the system is not writeable. You need an edited boot.img to make it insecure or you can make a generic update.zip and flash the modified (on your pc) build.prop through recovery.

Once i flashed insecure boot.img you can write to system at any time and use pc apps like android commander.

Or dalyers option should work not sure if it sticks after a reboot though. :)

Just gone and bought a THL W200 i'm pretty sure i'm going to hell and the Mrs may disown me when i should be saving for a car!!.

Edited by Frankish

Guest george109

Some merimobiles promo codes for you:

HTC - $15 off all HTC products

350 - Get 6% off orders over $350

TABS - Get $10 off on tablets over $200

All of these codes are only available for 48 hours :(

Now, you have no excuses to not buy a new Chinese phone and tablet at the same time! :P ( but maybe apart from being disowned by the Mrs! :lol: )

Edited by george109

Delighted with it, except for the GPS thing which hopefully might be sorted (but I am sceptical, even though lots of people are saying it works).

Tried the GPS fix (editing the build.prop) but a strange thing occurs, google maps does not pick up the GPS at all, but Sygic works ?!!?

Guest Cable Monkey

I'm considering getting either a Xiaocai X9 or THL W200 and wondered whether anyone who has these phones can advise if they are capable of reliable Miracast/screen mirroring?

Is there an option for this in their implementation of 4.2.1?

I understand that the 4.2.2 Miracast is considered to be more stable just wanted to know how they cope with 4.2.1.

Thanks

Guest metal.mickey

GPS UPDATE:

All is well and the google maps/navigation software works a treat.

i bought the phone inspite of the reported gp short commings and now that its working i feel like ive won the lottery.

i gotta say this phone rocks.

Pros:

super fast Lewa Rom and chipset

brilliant screen resolution

5.3 inch screen seems to be the limit of my thumb dexterity. i can just about reach the menu hard key with one hand

2 days of operation with one charge (2000 mah battery)

fully operational gps

easily rooted for a novice (Eroot)

really good camera in normal conditions

Cons

Screen aint great in bright sunlight

volume of external speaker for vid playback a bit low.

average camera in dark

GPS UPDATE:

All is well and the google maps/navigation software works a treat.

i bought the phone inspite of the reported gp short commings and now that its working i feel like ive won the lottery.

i gotta say this phone rocks.

Which phone is it ??

Am guessing the NEWMAN K1A ?? D'oh!

Edited by SG8

Guest metal.mickey

ive been leaving it at home recently as i work in a really dusty gritty environment, but using it continuously when i get home from work. Ill give you an accurate breakdown when my skin/wallet arrives.

Yes the K1a is great, i checked the antutu scores and its maginally less than the Xiacai although the 2 phones compare quite well although mine has the bigger screen so im guessing the pixel density isnt quite as sharp.

MM

Guest Iscjedak

Hi. I've seen that large number of forum members have xiaocai x9 but nobody wrote a review. I'm interested primarily in build quality and the "feel" of the phone. Design is spot on for me just concerned that it may feel "chinesy". If anyone could shed some light on this subject i'd be grateful.

Guest Frankish

It's very light, feels good though and even though it has a Samsung esque flimsy back cover its not creaky at all for me. Just bear in mind it costs less than 100. The screen is beautiful. You won't be disappointed.