[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Frankish

Why anyone would pay for that when the w200 is 20quid less is beyond me?

Speaking of which after a lot of umming and ahhing over buying a W200 I have finally took the plunge. On pre-order at merimobiles and dealsprime I wasn't sure where I could trust ordering from. In the end I went with dealextreme even though i have heard varying reports about them.

I spoke to them on live chat on Tuesday night asked them to confirm it was in stock and if they could speed up shipping rather than the 7-10 days the site says. They promised it would be done so I ordered at 10.30 Tuesday night, by 5pm Wednesday (today) I had a tracking number.

If it comes quickly and has no problems I will be amazed at how good they have been...wish me luck guys.

Guest invertedgoatie

Huge difference between US and UK stores

£150 is $242

In US store it is $189

$53 difference

WTF?

Over here we call it 'Rip Off Britain'....

For the same price as the THLW200 I bought, you could get this junk heap instead advertised on the carphonewarehouse.

http://www.gsmarena...._s6810-5279.php

It's even worse than my G300 I bought last year which I'm replacing now.

Edited by invertedgoatie

Guest invertedgoatie

THL W200 arrived. All I can say is WOW. I can't believe I ever used any other android phone for so long. It truely feels like a top of the range device. Mine came with two batteries, additional back cover that goes over the regular back cover and quite a good quality screen protector.

Absolute breeze to root it, don't think I will install any ROM's on it as the stock ROM seems very sweet, fast smooth responsive with no chinese bloat or kack. So far so good.

My only issue is the size of it. I'm a bit concerned it'll have a tendancy to slip out of pockets...

Edited by invertedgoatie

Guest Frankish

Wear trousers with bigger pockets problem solved. :)

Where did you order yours from is the protective case/cover standard in the box from thl or is it an addition from somewhere?

Can't wait for mine to come I'll definitely root it though just because I will want to tweak gps to perfection. It seems to work well with the normal EPO enabling etc but I'd rather make sure.

Guest invertedgoatie

Wear trousers with bigger pockets problem solved. :)

Where did you order yours from is the protective case/cover standard in the box from thl or is it an addition from somewhere?

Can't wait for mine to come I'll definitely root it though just because I will want to tweak gps to perfection. It seems to work well with the normal EPO enabling etc but I'd rather make sure.

Got mine from by auction from a UK fleabay seller called betty-mall. Good thing about this of course is there isn't any risk like when you order from China, also no worry about getting slapped with import tax either. Mine took only 2 working days to arrive. Another plus as I HATE waiting for my gadgets! Oh and yeah, the hard back case it came with was already in the box, as was the screen protector. The only thing that came outside the box was the UK power plug.

I'm honestly chuffed with this phone, hit here for simple instructions on how to root and install CWM http://www.pandawill...00-root-and-CWM :D

Edited by invertedgoatie

Guest Frankish

I've already got everything set to root etc thanks as it's no different to Xiaocai except for recovery image. I had a look at that sellers other phones but I would have ended up paying more than the 127 I have paid from DX. Got a shipping number in less than 24 hours so shouldn't be too long to arrive I hope :)

Guest invertedgoatie

Great. Looks like I bricked my device. I restored my backups in Titanium, rebooted and now I can't get past the THL boot logo. Shi*....

Edited by invertedgoatie

Great. Looks like I bricked my device. I restored my backups in Titanium, rebooted and now I can't get past the THL boot logo. Shi*....

Someone who knows more than I will probably come along, but have you tried turning on the phone with the volume up (or down) button held. Pull the battery, hold the volume button down, then power on the phone.

It might bring you into a boot menu that might be of some help (but it could be in chinese) so be careful and if you don't know which option to pick, just pull the battery again and wait for better help than I can provide!!!

Guest invertedgoatie

Hi yes, thanks it's all in chinese none of which is useful....and the only instructions I've found on how to get this thing loaded with CWM is through the android OS which obviously I can't do, There's the fastboot ADP method as well but all the advice I've found is for various phones, nothing generic it all seems specific to difference devices and I know I could easily perma-brick my phone if I get reflashing wrong!

Hi yes, thanks it's all in chinese none of which is useful....and the only instructions I've found on how to get this thing loaded with CWM is through the android OS which obviously I can't do, There's the fastboot ADP method as well but all the advice I've found is for various phones, nothing generic it all seems specific to difference devices and I know I could easily perma-brick my phone if I get reflashing wrong!

Check this out , i had to use chinese cwm originally and this helped.

http://www.needrom.c...r-mtk-platform/

Or power on with up and down volume buttons held in to get cwm assuming it was there before?

Edited by sedj

Guest Frankish

If you have the mtk6589 drivers installed you can flash CWM using any generic SP flash tool guide. I don't think you will be fully bricked. Or get the full stock rom to flash using flash tool.

Did you restore any system apps using titanium? If so that's a massive no no!

Edited by Frankish

Guest invertedgoatie

Double post thanks tapatalk for iPhone!!

Here is a link to W200 stock rom. You need to register but it's worth it.

http://www.needrom.c...obile/thl-w200/

In the comments there is a basic text on how to use SP Flash Tool to flash it.

Major thumbs up, epic. I'll check this out...

Yes I guess I did back up a system device, actually I was trying to restore my call log and I think this is what borked it. I was struggling to find any other tool that could back up my call logs and had (wrong) assumed that with Titanium as the most popular choice everyone was doing it with that app.

Guest invertedgoatie

Check this out , i had to use chinese cwm originally and this helped.

http://www.needrom.c...r-mtk-platform/

Or power on with up and down volume buttons held in to get cwm assuming it was there before?

Thanks, that's the first thing I did is get into recovery but I was lost with all the mandarin script. Is there a specific build of CWM I am to use with the W200, or does any build for the MTK6589 chipset work ?

Guest invertedgoatie

OK something wierd just happened.

Got CWS on properly using SPFT. It then instantly rebooted (might have had finger on reboot arrow)

Android loads up and it says updating operating system or something to that degree. Now I'm successfully back in Android. What the heck, lol. Everything has been cleaned, it's back to a fresh install.

Edited by invertedgoatie

Guest Frankish

OK something wierd just happened.

Got CWS on properly using SPFT. It then instantly rebooted (might have had finger on reboot arrow)

Android loads up and it says updating operating system or something to that degree. Now I'm successfully back in Android. What the heck, lol. Everything has been cleaned, it's back to a fresh install.

Yay!! :)

Have you noticed the notification led not working?

If so try the attached file should fix it.

W200-NotificationFix-Frankish.zip

Edited by Frankish

Guest invertedgoatie

Yay!! :)

Have you noticed the notification led not working?

If so try the attached file should fix it.

Yeah I suspect there's something up with the LED. Thanks for that.

By the way, I just tried to get back into CWM and I'm back in the chinese factory menu recovery rubbish. CWM has vanished, no idea why. But atleast I can have another go the easy way via Android OS :)

Guest Frankish

If you flashed a stock rom in SPFT then it will have written stock recovery too. You can just use Mobile Unce app to install recovery easily now make sure the recovery image is on sd card root and just update recovery in app after rooting of course.

Hm you only flashed recovery with SPFT strange but at least its working now.

Edited by Frankish

Guest invertedgoatie

If you flashed a stock rom in SPFT then it will have written stock recovery too. You can just use Mobile Unce app to install recovery easily now make sure the recovery image is on sd card root and just update recovery in app after rooting of course.

Hm you only flashed recovery with SPFT strange but at least its working now.

Something funny is going on. I just flashed using Uncletools the CWM on Pandawill. It rebooted into CWM OK, but then when I restarted, reloaded into Android, powered off and held down key I'm back into the scary chinese factory mode menu. It seems like CWM is getting overwritten, or maybe the partition is write protected somehow.....hmmm