[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Is there a MIUI rom available for the THL W200 ? Did not see it on the list posted earlier in the thread.

Found this http://www.pandawillforum.com/showthread.php?22741-Thl-w200-miui-rom when I googled but not sure whether to trust it!!

Am leaning towards keeping the THL W200 (over the MLAIS MX58 Air) as the GPS seems to be a lot better on the W200, but the MX58 Air has gorilla glass which might get tested by toddler who is fond of playing with it!!

EDIT: spent a bit longer searching and found one on here: http://en.miui.com/thread-7898-1-1.html

I was hoping my i2000(N7300)6589 had a Miui rom  but no   :(  but thanks for the link.

There is a MIUI for thl w200 on 4pda Russian site.

I can barely understand this stuff when it is English, so would not have much chance with Russian!! Thanks

Too much...

THL w200

Minideal $186
Banggood $185
Merimobiles $195
TmallBox $180

This is without coupon discount.

I would go for Minideal, found very positive feedback on several mobile forums lately...

P.S. Banggood has $10 discount when referred from another e-mail :)

Edited by dakok

Guest Frankish

My THL W200 had just arrived now. I've just plugged it in and left it to charge for now will see how it is to use later on. Can't wait. Got to decide to keep only two phones. Between Xiaocai X9, iPhone 4s bright orange and the W200 hmm....

Guest dalyer

This thread including a conversation between myself and gASK (who has done some work on ripping/packaging JB 4.1.2 ROMs for W910) might be of interest to those with Haier W910s...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46254218&postcount=61

It clarifies some issues about the origin and content of some of the ROMs doing the rounds (e.g. the so called Czech/Polish/Spanish/PandaWill JB 4.1.2 ROMs are basically the one that he came up with - or some variation on the same theme). 

It would be nice if we got CM for this phone - and I'm aware that several requests have been posted - but I don't know how likely that is...

I haven't had much of a chance to play with the phone - which is currently running the repack of gASK's JB 4.1.2 from this thread/post (4.1.2_SWEP_GDETB1A_v03.010.03.g_04_build_37617_by_elbuit_v0.1.zip)

http://www.movilesdualsim.com/threads/rom-4-1-2-stock.47032/

I'm still using the G300 as my daily phone but hoping to move lock stock to the W910 real soon now. :D

Edited by dalyer

Guest Frankish

Repartitioned my W200 today. I know not everyone has an SD card but to me the internal sd is totally useless. A waste of over 6GB of space. I now have a 5gb data partition. As I use my external class 10 32GB sd card I have no use for the internal which is now tiny :)

Works on all mtk 6589 phones too.

Guest dalyer

Can you just outline what the default partitioning/memory layout is and what you have done to change it?

I presume you can't just "repartition/reorganize" the internal storage?

Does your approach involve using Android or a 3rd party app (link2sd etc.) to move apps to the external sd card?

Just curious - not that I have a W200 or anything (yet! :)).

Thanks.

Guest Frankish

Yes the actual internal storage is changed it's not a moving to sd etc trick. To revert it you have to flash a stock rom with SP Flash tool. What i used is a simple app that does it all for you.

Make a clockwork mod backup.
Select partition sizes in app from choices.
Boot to recovery and wipe data.
Restore clockwork mod backup.

My phone had 1GB data partition, 6gb (roughly) internal sd card, my external 32gb sdcard.

Now it has 5GB data partition (overkill i know), 2gb internal sdcard (i don't use this), my external 32gb for all music, images and app additional downloads.

Here is a link to what i did.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365701-re-partition-any-mtk6589-phone-without-a-pc-more-data-storage/

Edited by Frankish

Guest Frankish

No problems i'm sure it will come in useful for at least one or two people along the way.

Pretty impressed with the W200's GPS so far. And the general performance too.

post-449642-0-07219200-1381320546_thumb.

post-449642-0-88099000-1381320574_thumb.

Edited by Frankish

No problems i'm sure it will come in useful for at least one or two people along the way.

Pretty impressed with the W200's GPS so far. And the general performance too.

I got similar results with the THL W200 using GPS test. Have not had much of a chance to check the google maps app for navigation purposes.

Edited by SG8

Did you bother applying the build.prop fix posted earlier or are you waiting to see what navigation is like first?

Was going to try it without any fixes first, as the GPS test posted such good results. Was going to try the MIUI rom as well, but think I might leave the phone 'as is' (for a few days at least!!).

Guest Frankish

Was going to try it without any fixes first, as the GPS test posted such good results. Was going to try the MIUI rom as well, but think I might leave the phone 'as is' (for a few days at least!!).

Just tested on a short 3 mile journey and seems good! I'm happy with it for definite.

Be sure to go to the others section and check my W200 thread out there.

On a side note has anyone had this wallpaper bug? Happens with all launchers and even after reboot. Live wallpapers are fine though.

Posted Image

Guest Frankish

Yeah I think so it was after installing all my apps etc. Still a good score regardless although i don't place much trust in benchmarks especially after reading how many manufacturers cheat them...

Guest dalyer

Yeah I think so it was after installing all my apps etc. Still a good score regardless although i don't place much trust in benchmarks especially after reading how many manufacturers cheat them...

I agree about treating synthetic benchmarks with caution.

But I'm glad my Haier W910 is faster than your ThL W200.

Na na na nah nah.... :D

(JOKE!)

But I'm glad my Haier W910 is faster than your ThL W200.

Na na na nah nah.... :D

(JOKE!)

'HIS' Thl W200 scored 16105 ? Your Haier W910 scored 16000+

16000 plus what ??

'MY' Thl W200 scored 16293+ (plus one!!) 16294 !!

Maybe you could not read 'his' score correctly on your LITTLE 4.5inch screen?!!! :D

Edit: Just had a look at the Haier and think I might be purchasing one (the young fella's G300 Gorilla Glass found a rock harder than a Gorilla!!)

Edited by SG8

Guest dalyer

'HIS' Thl W200 scored 16105 ? Your Haier W910 scored 16000+

16000 plus what ??

'MY' Thl W200 scored 16293+ (plus one!!) 16294 !!

Maybe you could not read 'his' score correctly on your LITTLE 4.5inch screen?!!! :D

Edit: Just had a look at the Haier and think I might be purchasing one (the young fella's G300 Gorilla Glass found a rock harder than a Gorilla!!)

16313!  :P

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359664-offtopic-china-phone-discussion-20032013/page-118#entry2163109

Anyway - I was only joking!!!! 

Guest Costy88031

Yes the actual internal storage is changed it's not a moving to sd etc trick. To revert it you have to flash a stock rom with SP Flash tool. What i used is a simple app that does it all for you.

Make a clockwork mod backup.

Select partition sizes in app from choices.

Boot to recovery and wipe data.

Restore clockwork mod backup.

My phone had 1GB data partition, 6gb (roughly) internal sd card, my external 32gb sdcard.

Now it has 5GB data partition (overkill i know), 2gb internal sdcard (i don't use this), my external 32gb for all music, images and app additional downloads.

Here is a link to what i did.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365701-re-partition-any-mtk6589-phone-without-a-pc-more-data-storage/

Thanks for that. Worked awesome for me on Lenovo A820. this is a 4GB phone. Edited by Costy88031

Guest Maringer

Dalyer, regardless of how fast your W910 may be ( ;)), can you give an indication how you're finding using it? How is battery life of the device and is the Jellybean ROM you have installed pretty stable?

My FAEA F1 has a few issues which leave me a little unhappy, and I'm thinking about trying to get a W910 once again. After Dealsprime cancelled my order, I notice that Focalprice now have it available cheap so I may take a punt.

The F1 is perfectly usable but performance isn't great (think there is room for software optimisation) and I'm concerned that the phone gets so hot at times when in use which is going to knacker the battery longevity. There are also software problems which I'm not convinced that FAEA will ever fix. FAEA promised an Android 4.2 ROM on their forums when the phone was first released, yet the (slightly buggy) 4.1 ROM currently available came out over 2 months ago and no updates seem to be in the pipeline. The fact that they haven't even released drivers that will work correctly with Win7 x64 makes me doubt whether or not we'll see a 4.2 (or 4.3 or 4.4 ROM)!

I've also realised that the dual-SIM and NFC capabilities of the F1 are something I really don't need to use 99% of the time so I could certainly keep the F1 as a backup and use another phone as my main device.

Dalyer, regardless of how fast your W910 may be ( ;)), can you give an indication how you're finding using it? How is battery life of the device and is the Jellybean ROM you have installed pretty stable?

I will when I start using it as my daily phone but right now I'm still on the G300 and just messing with the W910 in the evening, flashing ROMs, tweaking etc. Hopefully by the weekend I will have switched over.

Here's a summary of what I've been doing in terms of ROMs. 

Elbuit's repack of "gASK's" stock JB 4.1.2 (actually an Acer V350 ROM or derivative) seems pretty clean and stable as far as I have used it. The other two JB 4.1.2 ROMs on the Spanish forum seem to have quite a bit of Chinese language appearing that I cannot get rid of (e.g. in Apex Launcher, Button Savior (for the non on screen button version) etc.). As mentioned in that thread I'd like to reduce the size of the on screen buttons as they seem too big and wasting screen space to me. But I'm not sure that I could operate without them altogether and just with Button Savior instead. 

There is not much choice out there right now in terms of ROMs. So far the one mentioned above suits me best.