ZX Spectrum Emulator??

Guest flip2000b

Guest PsychoDave

All we need now is a wav file that goes Weeeeeeeee.blipbeebeebshhhhhhhhhh to play every time it loads and we'll be right back in 1982. :(

P.S Nice work on the diary Spacemonkey :)

Guest awarner [MVP]
All we need now is a wav file that goes Weeeeeeeee.blipbeebeebshhhhhhhhhh to play every time it loads and we'll be right back in 1982. :(

P.S Nice work on the diary Spacemonkey :)

They were the days :D

Ditto Spacemonkey nice work :lol:

Guest PsychoDave

Wasn't slaggin off the music, just that crazy noise that came out of the cassete deck every time it attempted to load :(

Usually just before it crashed and you had to start again :)

See how far we've come........

Guest maxh2003

Hey Spacemonkey, does your "static" look like this? Was the closest I could get to getting the thing running (plus it hangs my phone, meaning I have to pull the battery) :?

EDIT: one more try at uploading a single JPG...

p_clive_frozen.jpg

Guest awarner [MVP]

There were there but not now :oops:

I have pm'ed maxh and asked for him to edit and re submit the images.

PS you can't delete duplicate file attachments, the systems decides to delete them all.

[EDIT] it's back to two now :?

must be a delay between posting and the way the system updates

Guest spacemonkey
Hey Spacemonkey, does your "static" look like this?  Was the closest I could get to getting the thing running (plus it hangs my phone, meaning I have to pull the battery) :?

That static is similar to mine... I put the varios .tga.gz files on the phone so I think the difference with mine is it had a big grey box in it as well as what you got... I have the same hanging problem (which I think is cos it's not handling any input).

I've updated the log for this anyway, got the graphics going "good enough for now"

www.surrealservices.co.uk/PocketClive.html

Guest Frazzyscot

It's good seeing spacemonkey's thought process in the pocketclive diary with pictures and code to go alongside, SmartClive is starting to look really tasty now, can't wait until the input is fixed...keep up the good work spacemonkey, as there are a lot of Speccy fiends out there... :)

Guest spacemonkey

After much drinking and very little coding... we have a running emulator (yay) don't ask for a copy cos it's too shite to use just yet and I don't want to start having to post answers to "how do I use this emulator when I can't even read the keyboard" type questions.

Good news it runs nice and quick. The graphics are terrible, but I'm gonna drop the control areas and turn it landscape which should help a lot, I've also got some work to do around the controls and stuff.

Heres a shot anyway... as usuall, check my site for more details ( www.surrealservices.co.uk ) It's WizBall!!!!!

pcl4.gif

Guest Croccy22

Spacemonkey: Do you know if it gonna be possible to get any sound working on the spv version. Especially 128k sound, that would be great.

I would love to here some of the old time classic tunes like rainbow islands and slightly magic etc. They were so catchy!!!

Anyway well done and keep up the good work!

Matt

Viva La Spectrum!!!!!

Any one else wanna work on a Sam Coupe emulator??? I could play all the old games I wrote then! :). I expect no-one has heard of it though!

If it was emulating the 128K speccy, the startup menu includes a tape load option, cant remember how the PC emulator handled it though, I think it came up with a menu so you could select the image you wanted to load.

Spacemonkey, if you turn it landscape, why not use a softkey to toggle between the main display and the controls?

Paul, I remember the SAM Coupe as well, though I was starting my first music studio with my 520STfm by then, so I didn't try to get hold of 1.

Ah, those were the days...

Guest Paul [MVP]

Ooh yeah, I had a 1040STFM then a 1040STE, and also made extensive use of the MIDI ports.

The ORIGINAL Cubase platform :)

P

Guest spacemonkey

Your right... I switched it to 128K mode and got a menu on "boot up". This sort of knowledge would help... pity I've never used a spectrum (although I have had a lot of dodgy old machines in my time).

For the controls... I'm thinking a key that bings up the "menus", another that will show a full screen (landscape keyboard) and from the keyboard let you assign any smartphone keys to keyboard keys (or joystick functions)... that should be primo for in game... then it's just what I do to let you "type" stuff if you want to. Full screen keyboard could work, but you can't see the screen and keyboard at the same time... T9 or multipress could work, but you need to know the keywords and symbols associated with the letters as well... like J=LOAD etc...

At the moment I'm only keeping 44% of the pixels from the spectrum screen, in landscape we should be able to keep 88%

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to restructure the way the whole things works quite a lot to get all of this going right... EasyCE is not brilliant and then the PocketClive guy added a big (quite cool) layer of stylus recognition stuff that I need to unravel and replace with something better suited to a phone...

Guest ClintEastman

I can't wait!!!!! Keep up the good work spacemonkey!!!

I remember i had a Discovery Disk Drive for my Specy(s)!!!

3.5 inch floppy drive non the less, the amount of games i could fit on a floppy!!! And no waiting for the tape to load/crash.... Instant loading!! :)

@Spacemonkey

The load menu was really for 128K games, but most 48/16K games loaded fine with this option (I was lazy in my youth and never grew out of it :( ). The only 48K game I ever came across that failed loading this way was Ghostbusters.

@Paul

Still Cubase using (Now on SX) AND I have just got a Mega ST2 to use as a musical scratchpad (Bidding on a TT on ebay as well :shock: ). Still got my STfm (520 uodraded to 1MB) and my STe (520 upped to a whopping 4MB :shock: power user or what :) ).

Now where did I put my zimmer?

@Spacemonkey

The load menu was really for 128K games, but most 48/16K games loaded fine with this option (I was lazy in my youth and never grew out of it :( ).  The only 48K game I ever came across that failed loading this way was Ghostbusters.

Interesting ideas for control btw, need a betatester at all?

@Paul

Still using Cubase (Now on SX) AND I have just got a Mega ST2 to use as a musical scratchpad (Bidding on a TT on ebay as well :shock: ).  Still got my STfm (520 upgraded to 1MB) and my STe (520 upped to a whopping 4MB :shock: power user or what :) ).

Now where did I put my zimmer?

Oops, hit quote instead of edit (too used to the Cubase forums :oops: )

Guest Croccy22

If you download simcoupe, the emulator and then run up Fred disk magazine issue 52 (I think) You can play my duck hunt game I wrote for it!! I used to love that computer.

I still got two of them up in the loft. I kept all of my old computers coz I could never let them go!!

The memories :'(

Matt