Ouch Kernel ICS v1.4 [12/03/2013]

Guest Kra1o5

Guest dalyer

Isn't Paul's 308 kernel for stock/stock based ROMs only and will not work on CM (any version)? And this kernel is based on Paul's?

Edit:

This Kernel is for stock/stock based roms only. It will not work with CM9 or CM10.

Edited by dalyer

Posted in Stock+ thread too.

Running Stock+ R6, 32gb SanDisk Ultra Class 10 set as default storage.

Max Clock: 1.19 Ghz

Min Clock: 320 Mhz

Gov: SmartassV2

I/O: Noop

Went into airplane mode and ran AnTutu v3.1.2 three times and got: 4165, 4379, 4192

Then I flashed Ouch Kernal ICS v1.2, same settings as above and got: 4251, 4319, 4254

Same again with OUch Kernal and SavageZen and sio : 2853, 2928, 2955

Thought I'd share it with you!

Guest bladebuddy
Posted in Stock+ thread too.

Running Stock+ R6, 32gb SanDisk Ultra Class 10 set as default storage.

Max Clock: 1.19 Ghz

Min Clock: 320 Mhz

Gov: SmartassV2

I/O: Noop

Went into airplane mode and ran AnTutu v3.1.2 three times and got: 4165, 4379, 4192

Then I flashed Ouch Kernal ICS v1.2, same settings as above and got: 4251, 4319, 4254

Same again with OUch Kernal and SavageZen and sio : 2853, 2928, 2955

Thought I'd share it with you!

Downloaded CPU spy and run the test to make sure savagezen even kicked in on the selected OC values while running the benchmark , I bet it didn't .J.

Guest TangerineTractor

Been running Stockplus with Ouch at 1.229/245, SmartassV2 noop for 36 hours with no issues. Previously I could only run at 1.19 otherwise I'd get reboots.

Guest Kra1o5

Been running Stockplus with Ouch at 1.229/245, SmartassV2 noop for 36 hours with no issues. Previously I could only run at 1.19 otherwise I'd get reboots.

Good to hear that :)

Greetings

Guest wouterbeer

Wow impressed with this kernel! I can also report that I can overclock one more step without any issues. Running (on Stock+ rom) fine so far for the last day with:

• Max freq 1.267 Ghz
  • Min freq 245 Mhz
  • smartassV2
  • noop

Thanks for this Kra1o5!

Guest henrythedog

Sorry for the noob question here, but how do I install this.. do I just go into CWM and flash the .zip... or should I wipe the cache and dalvik cache first?

{edit] nevermind just did a bit of googling and found that it's best to wipe the cache and dalvik cache... and why.

Edited by henrythedog

Guest wouterbeer

Sorry for the noob question here, but how do I install this.. do I just go into CWM and flash the .zip... or should I wipe the cache and dalvik cache first?

I think there are no wipes required.. I just flashed it in recovery and without wipes and works perfectly so far.

Guest exerullz

just flash it :)

// stable 1.267 GHz, great work !

the problem is that i don't know why im getting low scores with antutu , before i was getting 4280 ( with 1.19 GHz ) , now im getting 4180 ( with 1.267 GHz )

Edited by exerullz

Guest wouterbeer

This might be of some help to some of you I guess. At least it was to me ;)

http://forum.xda-dev...909&postcount=1

I am using the Link2Int mod to use the internal SD for apps and have a 32GB external SD card. As can be read in that link: noop with smartassv2 seems a good choice!

To compare governors noop and sio:

1) Noop

Inserts all the incoming I/O requests to a First In First Out queue and implements request merging. Best used with storage devices that does not depend on mechanical movement to access data (yes, like our flash drives). Advantage here is that flash drives does not require reordering of multiple I/O requests unlike in normal hard drives.

Advantages:

- Serves I/O requests with least number of cpu cycles. (Battery friendly?)

- Best for flash drives since there is no seeking penalty.

- Good throughput on db systems.

Disadvantages:

- Reduction in number of cpu cycles used is proportional to drop in performance.

5) SIO

Simple I/O scheduler aims to keep minimum overhead to achieve low latency to serve I/O requests. No priority quesues concepts, but only basic merging. Sio is a mix between noop & deadline. No reordering or sorting of requests.

Advantages:

- Simple, so reliable.

- Minimized starvation of requests.

Disadvantages:

- Slow random-read speeds on flash drives, compared to other schedulers.

- Sequential-read speeds on flash drives also not so good

Guest exerullz

The best freq is probably 1.228 GHz. My phone was hot while using 1.267 GHz, now with 1.228 it's pretty cold.

Edited by exerullz

Guest henrythedog

Thanks guys, I already did it before seeing your replies, but thanks anyway... I performed a nandroid backup and wiped the cache and dalvic cache just to be on the safe side... have mine set to 1.229Ghz / 245Mhz ondemand and noop... seems to be working great for now

Scored 4166 in Antutu

Edited by henrythedog

Guest henrythedog

Changed to 1267/245 smartassV2 noop and tested again.... 4217 this time. Another stupid question but do you guys have the force GPU rendering turned on/off in developer options? any other settings I should look at changing maybe?

Changed to 1267/245 smartassV2 noop and tested again.... 4217 this time. Another stupid question but do you guys have the force GPU rendering turned on/off in developer options? any other settings I should look at changing maybe?

I know that if I overclock higher than 1.19 with Smartassv2 and noop my antutu score drops. Not downloaded CPU spy yet to see whats going on.

But like Kra1o5 said, maybe its not about the Antutu scores, its whats happening underneath?

I'm happy enough at 1.19 anyway scoring around 4250.

Guest henrythedog

I know that if I overclock higher than 1.19 with Smartassv2 and noop my antutu score drops. Not downloaded CPU spy yet to see whats going on.

But like Kra1o5 said, maybe its not about the Antutu scores, its whats happening underneath?

Cool, thanks for the info... might just have a play around to see what works best for me as the most important factors for me are the GUI being smooth and the apps opening quickly and so far that seems to be good with either this kernel or the kernel that's included in the stock + ROM V6... I'm very happy compared to when I was using the stock rom 952d :)

Guest exerullz

same. cpu spy seems ok.

Guest wouterbeer

V1.3:

Governors (Intellidemand & Ondemandx)

Enable zRAM

Minor changes

Thanks!

-Is zram enabled by default? Can't find an option to toggle it.

-After update the ondemandx governor shows up but no intellidemand? (I flashed without wipes)

Edited by wouterbeer

Guest Kra1o5

Thanks!

-Is zram enabled by default? Can't find an option to toggle it.

-After update the ondemandx governor shows up but no intellidemand? (I flashed without wipes)

-Yes.

-Intellidemand is on by default is one variation of Ondemand.

Greetings