Browsers

Guest TangerineTractor

Guest jgbyr

that's in overview. you have to double tap to zoom in, or pinch zoom. you can set the default zoom on double click in preferences.

That's a nuisance imo. At least with opera mini, sites are sized correctly.

Guest irishpancake

But you just need to set it up OK.....

Are you using the correct User Agent for Mobile, single-column enabled [?], zoom set to 150% [this was set by default??] etc.

Also, Boards should default to touch.boards.ie on your mobile, it is mobile friendly display-wise....

Just don't have Desktop User Agent enabled, or you will get the full site as per your PC!!!

Just two pics to illustrate: [ Screen Cap [png] by Power + Vol Down...momentarily.....great!!!]

Screenshot_2013-03-14-21-30-25.png

Screenshot_2013-03-14-21-30-47.png

Edited by irishpancake

Guest TangerineTractor

I have zoom on 175. mobile friendly sites appear normally, desktop sites start in overview and you double click to zoom on. I don't have turbo turned on at all, never need it.

Edited by TangerineTractor

Guest jgbyr

Thanks irishpancake & TangerineTractor for your assistance. Set it up as suggested. Yes mobile friendly sites are ok but I don't like the way desktop sites view, having to zoom in. This doesn't happen with opera mobile so I think I'll stick with that.

Guest TangerineTractor

Thanks irishpancake & TangerineTractor for your assistance. Set it up as suggested. Yes mobile friendly sites are ok but I don't like the way desktop sites view, having to zoom in. This doesn't happen with opera mobile so I think I'll stick with that.

I thought we were talking about opera mobile?

Guest dakok

Miui stock browser was nice too.

Zooming pages and fast loading.

Later it changed name and became

loaded with bloatware.

I tried to use it with few roms, but it

cant load properly.

Guest Milky Joe

I prefer the stock browser. Has anybody tried Opera Beta? I suppose I could but the stock one seems to be the quickest and most compatable.

Guest fr0do

Yeah I've always hated opera. On every platform. Pile of crap on my opinion. Yeah I've tried both mobile versions. Well, all 3 including the beta. Lots of times. Kept it there a while once but still didn't use it much as others are just better. Zooming on others is better for me.

Was with dolphin for ages too. But that I find bloated as well. Boat bugged out on me. I always end up going back to stock.

Edited by fr0do

Guest TangerineTractor

I usually respect your input, but in this case I cannot see how you can say opera is slow - in every test I've done it it's as fast or faster than other browsers, our bloated - it had none of the features, gestures etc of other apps. I suppose zooming is a question of taste, but it's certainly not an issue for me, and opera is definitely the fastest and most useable browser for me. I'd be interested to know what website you are visiting that are better accessed using the stock browser?

Guest twrock

Well, for what it's worth... Opera Mobile renders my agency's website correctly in overview mode. Stock browser does not.

Opening the page in overview mode is a matter of taste, but I find it helpful, so I prefer it.

Thanks for the tips.

Guest fr0do

Dolphin: 4.82mb

Opera mobile: 8.49mb

If opera is less bloated than the bloated Dolphin it must be very badly written.

Trying Opera again now.

I rarely search from a browser, I follow links.

Opera loads it's own shite home page before opening yours

Opera opens its splash image before that

Opera opens in overview mode so you always have to zoom. Stock opens at the right size

This is not fast browsing

I hate all of operas naff design. I think the designers must love android 2.x

Edited by fr0do

Guest ptoner

Agree Opera is an awful looking browser. Bloated with crap. Hence why I prefer a tiny browser ie Lighning that has zero crap. Save your passwords, open your bookmarks and no shite. Also its only about 250kb in size. Don't care if its 2millisecs quicker than something else. Opera is hateful I agree fr0do.

Edited by ptoner

Guest ptoner

As per the above, has anyone tried "Naked Browser"?

https://play.google....ev.nakedbrowser

Says its not compatible with any of my devices....?

So trying Mini Browser Beta instead.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmkho.mbmbeta&feature=also_installed#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwNCwiY29tLmRta2hvLm1ibWJldGEiXQ..

Edited by ptoner

Guest TangerineTractor

Dolphin: 4.82mb

Opera mobile: 8.49mb

If opera is less bloated than the bloated Dolphin it must be very badly written.

Trying Opera again now.

I rarely search from a browser, I follow links.

Opera loads it's own shite home page before opening yours

Opera opens its splash image before that

Opera opens in overview mode so you always have to zoom. Stock opens at the right size

This is not fast browsing

I hate all of operas naff design. I think the designers must love android 2.x

Have to say the size of the app is of very little relevance to me - it's how it works that matters.On load, it opens a speed buttons page. I find this useful to be honest. But it certainly takes no longer than opening a home page which might not be the one I want to use!

I don't "get" the issue with overview mode. If it's a mobile-optimised site, it displays fully. If it's a desktop site, it opens in overview. That's surely the most useful way on a small screen, a quick double tap any you're at the area you want. Stock doesn't open in a "useable" way for me on desktop sites, I have to pan around to find what I want.

I can understand the dislike of the button interface, but I'm voting for functionality over form. I'm not talking "2millisecs" here either - Opera realistically loads pages significantly (several seconds in some cases) faster than other browsers. I honestly don't think I would use my phone for browsing anywhere near as much as I do if I had to use one of the other browsers.

I really hope they don't mess up the new Opera Beta, because it's performance is awful - or at least kepe the current version of Mobile available rather than force an upgrade.

I guess it's all down to opinions.

Guest Rico_89

Most of the time I use Dolphin, it's fast, lag free and the tabs work exactly like the PC version of FireFox, Chrome etc.

Opera Mini, when on 3G because it's really fast and uses far less data than the other browsers.

Chrome, when controlling the Youtube app on my PS3, it works better for that and gives you some convenient buttons for the tracks you're playing.

Guest irishpancake
Agree Opera is an awful looking browser. Bloated with crap. Hence why I prefer a tiny browser ie Lighning that has zero crap. Save your passwords, open your bookmarks and no shite. Also its only about 250kb in size. Don't care if its 2millisecs quicker than something else. Opera is hateful I agree fr0do.

I put up a link earlier for a free d/l of Lightening+... the paid version!!!!

This is a devs link from his forum.

http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=641.0

not warez in any way!!!

Edited by irishpancake

Guest irishpancake

TT you're not Scandinavian by any chance?? :P

Good move to start the thread and have a luv-in with Opera.... :wub:

only joking BTW!!

Opera Mobile is very very good... IMO

Guest TangerineTractor

TT you're not Scandinavian by any chance?? :P

Good move to start the thread and have a luv-in with Opera.... :wub:

only joking BTW!!

Opera Mobile is very very good... IMO

I just cant find anything better, or in fact as good as an overall package. And in the last 24 hours I have tried ALL the other browsers suggested on this thread and more. Seriously. It does p*ss me off when people make sweeping comments about one product over another without properly evaluating them all though, and it does a discredit to others by not trying to understand their reasoning and justifications. I will always be among the first to try any new software or versions of other apps, roms, etc, and will readily switch if they're better. The beauty of Android is that there's such a range of variations of each type of app - launchers, browsers, twitter clients, email, that no one set of apps is going to be ideal for everyone... and that is the joy of this forum - people can share their experiences and opinions, and you can evolve your personal app pool to get an increasingly better mobile experience.

Guest Timbones

I've been trying Opera Mobile for a few hours - seems okay. Only really use it for reading the odd link. Will stick with it for a while to see how I get on...

Thanks TT.