How to root your Hudl [updated: latest supported ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

You can now root your Hudl! :)

YOU USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK! We take no responsibility for any problems caused.

Pre-requisites are as follows:

• A computer running Linux (a live CD should work) - I am currently looking at the Windows / OS X options
  • A Hudl running ROM version 20130923.020558 or 20131016.200812 (check in Settings -> About -> Hudl Updates) - do NOT install on other versions
  • A microUSB cable to connect the Hudl to your computer
  • A pin to press the reset button
To root your Hudl...
  • download this package for 20130923.020558 only! DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: f32f67b3d7942a0d0ec2da3323833813
  • download this package for 20131016.200812 only! DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: f895af4991439be522df78ad8cd4ab78
  • extract the zip
  • plug the hudl in via USB and press the reset pin while holding volume up (the device will appear to stay off)
  • open a terminal window to the extracted directory
  • run 'sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh'
  • wait for it to complete
  • the device will now go into 'charging' mode, turn it on as normal
  • when the device has booted, install SuperSU from the Play Store
  • try a root app - it should work!
This is just an initial root - if this is too daunting or you don't have access to a Linux box, don't worry, we're working on alternative options. :)

Note that the process creates a backup of your stock system image... just in case... :)

P

PS ROM developers? This flashes a regular Ext4 system image. If you want to mod your device? You can, by modding the image and re-flashing! :)

Works like a charm. Thank you. Tested using su from an adb shell.

post-798666-0-87462400-1380664306_thumb.

@Rem1x I checked the version after the initial update and it is the one Paul quoted.

Guest glossywhite

You can now root your Hudl! :)

YOU USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK! We take no responsibility for any problems caused.

Pre-requisites are as follows:

• A computer running Linux (a live CD should work) - I am currently looking at the Windows / OS X options
  • A Hudl running ROM version 20130923.020558 (check in Settings -> About -> Hudl Updates) - do NOT install on other versions
  • A microUSB cable to connect the Hudl to your computer
  • A pin to press the reset button
To root your Hudl...
  • download this package DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: f32f67b3d7942a0d0ec2da3323833813
  • extract the zip
  • plug the hudl in via USB and press the reset pin while holding volume up (the device will appear to stay off)
  • open a terminal window to the extracted directory
  • run 'sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh'
  • wait for it to complete
  • the device will now go into 'charging' mode, turn it on as normal
  • when the device has booted, install SuperSU from the Play Store
  • try a root app - it should work!
This is just an initial root - if this is too daunting or you don't have access to a Linux box, don't worry, we're working on alternative options. :)

Note that the process creates a backup of your stock system image... just in case... :)

P

PS ROM developers? This flashes a regular Ext4 system image. If you want to mod your device? You can, by modding the image and re-flashing! :)

Paul, when I released my cross-platform tools for the San Diego, I used "GnuWin32" as a base for the tools - it allowed me to port BASH scripts to windows, with a very substantial, portable BASH environment read-baked, just needing a minor script tweak to allow the GNU+Linux scripts to run, unaltered, on Windows PCs.

All the environment executables needed for trivial operations are included, and the ones that are missing can be thrown in a directory and packaged up with the rest.

Take a gander at the "Root / Un-root" kits I made for both Linux and Windows - the windows version is a direct port of the GNU+Linux version, not the other way around (because Windows CMD syntax is so utterly clunky and messy; it's far more elegant to allow Win to run Lin, than the reverse):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy07kaopwc6dbtw/osd_root_unroot_windows.exe?dl=1 << WIN

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=87206 << LIN

Thanks Paul - just something I learned, which makes porting SO easy.

Edited by glossywhite

Does the update that appears when first booting up the hudl effect this (I assume you could skip the update with the 4 corners trick)

The update to v1.2 is fine

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul, when I released my cross-platform tools for the San Diego, I used "GnuWin32" as a base for the tools - it allowed me to port BASH scripts to windows, with a very substantial, portable BASH environment read-baked, just needing a minor script tweak to allow the GNU+Linux scripts to run, unaltered, on Windows PCs.

All the environment executables needed for trivial operations are included, and the ones that are missing can be thrown in a directory and packaged up with the rest.

Take a gander at the "Root / Un-root" kits I made for both Linux and Windows - the windows version is a direct port of the GNU+Linux version, not the other way around (because Windows CMD syntax is so utterly clunky and messy; it's far more elegant to allow Win to run Lin, than the reverse):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy07kaopwc6dbtw/osd_root_unroot_windows.exe?dl=1 << WIN

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=87206 << LIN

Thanks Paul - just something I learned, which makes porting SO easy.

The problem isn't scripting, unfortunately rkflashtools for Windows doesn't seem to work for me and the OSX version has a libusb dependency, hence Linux only for now.

P

Guest Grumpydev

Cool :-) It's annoying that the bottom nav bar won't disappear (I assume because of the lack of a hardware back button) so tempted to root just so I can override that.

If and when Tesco release a new version will it update this and remove the root, or not update, or just soft-brick or any of the above? :D

Guest Grumpydev

It should update fine and keep root.

P

Thanks - I have to return mine today because the charger doesn't work, but assuming they can swap it I will give it a go later.

Nice work :)

Guest tautology

The root just adds the su binary to /system/xbin. The system partition is just an ext4 filesystem stored on the NAND. This means that unless the Hudl updater checks for /system/xbin/su (which it doesn't - I've had a look at the bytecode already) then it should keep root as well as anything else you add (e.g. sqlite3, gdb - busybox is already installed).

The clever bit was working out the partition start and size, which was nicely done by Mr O'Brien!

Guest Grumpydev

Thanks for the info - I'm hoping they just swap my charger (less hassle), but if they don't then I'll make sure I let it update itself before I have at it with the flash tool ;)

Guest tautology

After some messing around I've found that "rkflashtool p" will dump the partition table. I wish I'd worked this out earlier :-). First time I've played with rkflashtool though...

So the process for a new root would be:

• Use rkflashtool p to dump the partition table
  • Use rkflashtool to read the system partition
  • Use mount -o rw,loop imagefile /mnt/image to mount it
  • Copy a known good Jelly Bean su file to /mnt/image/xbin/su
  • Use rkflashtool to write the system partition

Paul, have I missed something?

I'd still love to know how you got rid of the Tesco button though!

Guest PaulOBrien

After some messing around I've found that "rkflashtool p" will dump the partition table. I wish I'd worked this out earlier :-). First time I've played with rkflashtool though...

So the process for a new root would be:

• Use rkflashtool p to dump the partition table

• Use rkflashtool to read the system partition

• Use mount -o rw,loop imagefile /mnt/image to mount it

• Copy a known good Jelly Bean su file to /mnt/image/xbin/su

• Use rkflashtool to write the system partition
Paul, have I missed something?

I'd still love to know how you got rid of the Tesco button though!

Yes, that's how I did it. :) I'll post the mod to remove the Tesco button soon!

P

Guest glossywhite

Just called Tesco, to reserve me a "hudl",

but the poor young girl, she got in a mudl.

I'll be there by midnight, to hand them my cash,

then fly right back home, and give rooting a...

10059791726_b98e7e59e2_n.jpg

Guest glossywhite

Folks, make sure you set the script to executable mode before running, else it will fail:

1/ Open bash/terminal.

2/ 

chmod +x *sh

3/ Proceed.

"lsusb" output (bash) when in "rktool" mode, described in the above:

Bus 002 Device 015: ID 0bb4:0c01 HTC (High Tech Computer Corp.) Dream / ADP1 / G1 / Magic / Tattoo

@Paul

Flashing is all very well, but how does one *reverse* the flashing, and flash back our *stock* "system.img", if you please? Same offsets as in your script?:

?? V V ??

./rkflashtool w 0x00142000 0x00200000 < system_orig.img
./rkflashtool b
Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

## Error ##.

Please clarify which state (IE: on/off?) the hudl is in, when you start the process of holding VOL (+) and pressing (or holding in?) the reset button please, thanks.

##__UPDATE__##

Turn hudl *OFF* first, connect via USB to PC, then...

HOLD DOWN VOL UP (+) & then push the reset button for one sec (back, top-right - RECESSED [hole with gold dot in it] ) and when you've pressed the reset button, CONTINUE holding the VOL (+) button. To check that this has put the hudl in flashing mode, and to verify that it isn't merely in charging mode, release the VOL (+) after around 10 seconds, and TAP ONCE on the power button; if you see a battery, it has failed, so try again. :)

Note the location of the buttons (power, vol + and vol -) and the reset button:

10061790703_76d10dd24a_z.jpg

@Paul - you say it makes a backup of "system.img", but neglected to mention where that is stored - it's not in ./ when executing script :)

Thx

matt@i3-550 ~/Desktop/hudl.system.withsu.20130923.020558 $ sudo ./flashsystem.hudl.sh 
rkflashtool: info: rkflashtool v3.3
rkflashtool: fatal: cannot open device
rkflashtool: info: rkflashtool v3.3
rkflashtool: fatal: cannot open device

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

^ Thanks - I used the newest (release) version and it works fine. The precise button presses were not detailed - please read the posts I have made to amend this omission. 

Thanks, and again - thank you Paul. :D

Guest dahooool

Hello,

this unfortunately did not work for me.

BUT you can try this: http://www.mgyun.com/vroot

This actually works, it will detect your tablet (as it is Archos hardware) and apply a Chinese SU which you can then replace with an English SU from the market.

Cheers

Andrei

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2376077

Edited by dahooool

Guest Tigerlight

Hello,

this unfortunately did not work for me.

BUT you can try this: http://www.mgyun.com/vroot

This actually works, it will detect your tablet (as it is Archos hardware) and apply a Chinese SU which you can then replace with an English SU from the market.

Cheers

Andrei

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2376077

Does not work, following XDA's procedure, nor does ANY universal android root method I have tried thus far.

SU binary installation always fails, and root is lost on reboot.

EDIT:  Take it back, it does root...but will not accept installation of any other superuser app but the chinese c**p.

Edited by Tigerlight

Guest dahooool

Yeah, I did not manage to replace it with english su, but to be honest I did not try hard because it enables me to do whatever I wanted now, like freezing the shizz out of the bloat :)

UPDATE: installed superuser app from chainfire which replaced the Chinese su successfully. Purrfect :-)

Edited by dahooool