How to root your Hudl [updated: latest supported ROM 20131016.200812]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest glossywhite

Got my 64gb SD card from Amazon as recommended in post #49 above.  Hudl wouldn't recognise it to format it (delivered 'RAW'; Hudl showed only a tiny card icon with an exclamation mark).  Linux wouldn't 'mount' it either.  So I used Windows to format it as FAT32, with 'guiformat.exe' - but Windows only formats to 27.47gb.  So, back into Linux ('mount'...) which recognised it this time, and happily formatted again (as 'FAT') to full 64gb capacity (...'unmount').  Then into Hudl, which at last showed full available space as per the advice earlier in the thread.  Maybe there's an easier way for cleverer people, but this one does work.

GNU/Linux ALWAYS solves the problems ;)

Edited by glossywhite

Too right on Linux, Glossywhite. My post #119 above reported that the recommended Linux flash didn't work for me, but when I later installed Mint 64 'Olivia' on HDD, with Hudl as the only device on USB, the method worked perfectly.  I stand corrected!

Most 'Apps' recognise the result as rooted, but I see that in unpacked 'default.prop', 'ro.secure=1' and only 'ro.debuggable=0'.  Android Commander seems to object on the grounds that both flags should be zero.  Same result from Kingo.  Is either root complete?

Most 'Apps' recognise the result as rooted, but I see that in unpacked 'default.prop', 'ro.secure=1' and only 'ro.debuggable=0'.  Android Commander seems to object on the grounds that both flags should be zero.  Same result from Kingo.  Is either root complete?

"complete root" simply means su binary in /system/bin and a superuser access management app installed (i.e. Superuser (ChainsDD's version [closed source]), Superuser (Koush's version [open source] or SuperSU (Chainfire's version [closed source])). AFAIK, both methods install SuperSU (seems to be most popular these days, although Koush's Superuser is the one included in many source built custom ROMs e.g. CyanogenMod).

Now, as to "ro.secure=1"; this property only affects adbd, the ADB daemon that runs within Android. In other words, this property affects the permissions of ADB. If it is enabled (i.e. =1), adbd runs in "secure" mode, and any commands sent over ADB are run as a "user". If it is disabled (i.e. =0), adbd runs in "insecure" mode and commands sent over ADB are run as "root". This means you can pull system files, push files to protected locations (e.g. /system) etc.

So if you find some way to make it =0 before you've rooted, you can then use ADB to push your su binary to /system/bin and then you're rooted. However, once you're already rooted, there is little benefit to making adbd insecure unless you have an actual use for doing so. It should be 100% unnecessary for all applications (which can identify as root via the su binary), so unless you need to issue root commands over ADB, you should be fine as is.

In summary, don't worry about those properties, they are fine as they are for using root-enabled apps. 

Guest Hyuukai

I have just bought this device, turned it on and it did an update when i go to find what rom version its runing on updates it just says this device is updated on the about tablet tab it says build number JDQ39.20131016.200812. So i am unsure to root or not yet?

Hiya, well you could read more of the forum threads / posts to get a better idea................ :wacko:

Just doing a google search on "20131016.200812" is an eye opener ;)

Anyway, you can easily root via the '1-click' kingoapp.com program, enjoy.

Edited by Guest

Guest huddled

Thanks to this thread I've sucessfully rooted my hudl, probably a bad idea as it's the first android device I've used :blink:

I don't have a linux machine so I downloaded the ABD drivers from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xg6o0wp16bkdcd3/ADB+Drivers%282%29.zip - ignore the exe files inside the download and just go to Windows device manager and manually update the hudl driver by browsing to the downloaded folder.

Then run the King App http://www.kingoapp.com/android-root/download.htm

Edited by huddled

Guest Detection

Just signed up to say cheers, sucessfully rooted my Hudl running the latest firmware using that Chinese generic rooting tool, then installing "SuperSU" from Google Play, which updated itself and uninstalled the Chinese version

Nice and quick, simple root solution

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 was the machine I rooted it with

Edited by Detection

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Woodsideapps

Hello all, *first time poster

So apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I have read all the threads and thank you all for your advice and help.

Here is how i rooted my Huddle.

Start position

Win 7 pro 64 bit

Which recognized the Huddle

Huddle upgraded to 1.3? one out of the box and one subsequent.

Firstly un-istalled the USB drivers from the Huddle.

Re-started the PC.

Started ADB USB Driver Installer 1.0

Installed the drivers.

Started kingoapp

Click Root

Installed SuperSu from the playstore.

My Reason for rooting is

To runt root access apps.

It worked for me the main problem was the

USB drivers and getting kingoapp to recognize the Huddle.

If you use this method dont blame me if it goes wrong..

Once again thanks for all the advice.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hedgehogabc

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for all the work and information that users have contributed on this 'How to root your Hudl' thread.

I was able to successfully root my Hudl by installing compatible ADB drivers, then running Kingo, as suggested by 'huddled'.

Paul's method seems even better if you can manage it because it is more pure/transparent (the Kingo app is a bit of a black box).

For reference, my Hudl had a build number of JDQ39.20131016.200812 and was rooted from a Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium edition PC.

The reason I rooted my Hudl was to remove the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen (I've posted another thread on how you can do this).

Many Thanks.

Edited by hedgehogabc

• 3 weeks later...
Guest greybot

Great thread. I need to root my hudl because I want to install an app that needs root for turning the display off when connected to a tv. I take it the rom will be be updated when tesco update their software? I'm waiting on two updates they said are coming out (the first to fix the touchscreen issue, and secondly the HDMI connection issue). 

THanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

I've just downloaded hudl.system.withsu.20131016.200812.zip and the md5 checksum is a826b0b702a19804846f7d20423de720 not f895af4991439be522df78ad8cd4ab78 - have you changed the file or could it have been tampered with since you uploaded it?

The 3 files inside the zip produce the following md5 checksums:

83336dcd7c366137cab7c2021b34cd7e *flashroot.hudl.linux.sh
7190f2617bd6a10e2f3ecf2a87de301e *rkflashtool-linux
c6db16a8f5bedb1daab33e2ddbbe8c75 *system.root.img

Thanks for the great work - I just want to make sure it's your work I'm getting and not some black hat's ;-)

Cheers, Pete

Might be a while before Paul answers. Simple question have you downloaded again and compared?

I'll have a look tonight when I get back unless someone else is being proactive ;o)

for the main zip file I get: f895af4991439be522df78ad8cd4ab78 which seems to match the original md5. For the contents I get:

MD5 (flashroot.hudl.linux.sh) = 83336dcd7c366137cab7c2021b34cd7e
MD5 (rkflashtool-linux) = 7190f2617bd6a10e2f3ecf2a87de301e

MD5 (system.root.img) = c6db16a8f5bedb1daab33e2ddbbe8c75

My bad - panic over

# MD5 checksums generated by FreeCommander (http://www.freecommander.com) 26/02/2014 11:34:59

F895AF4991439BE522DF78AD8CD4AB78 *hudl.system.withsu.20131016.200812.zip

I originally used MD5summer v1.1.019 - strange it got the same checksums for contents of the zip but a totally different one for the zip itself? Anyway - apologies for any panic caused and thanks Flurry for double checking.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest macjim

Hello,

I'm a new member and new to this forum. I am a Mac user and have a Tesco Hudl. I'd like to install Ubuntu Touch onto it when this OS becomes available but it's not yet out. I'd like to prepare by rooting etc but I do not know how to. I see many suggestions in this forum but what I need, and probably a few other forum members, is a clear cut instructional video or list as to what is needed and how to do it. I read at the beginning, Paul O'Brien say he's working on a Mac way, have you got round to it?

Hope you can help me. Thank you.

Guest flurry

Hello,

I'm a new member and new to this forum. I am a Mac user and have a Tesco Hudl. I'd like to install Ubuntu Touch onto it when this OS becomes available but it's not yet out. I'd like to prepare by rooting etc but I do not know how to. I see many suggestions in this forum but what I need, and probably a few other forum members, is a clear cut instructional video or list as to what is needed and how to do it. I read at the beginning, Paul O'Brien say he's working on a Mac way, have you got round to it?

Hope you can help me. Thank you.

Hi Macjim,

Being a Mac user too I faced a similar challenge when trying to root my Hudl. I used a ubuntu linux virtual machine running on my Mac to root the hudl successfully by following the linux commands available on this forum. I used Virtualbox and once the hudl was in the flashing mode and plugged into my Mac all I had to do was let the virtual Ubuntu see the hudl, done from the devices menu of the running virtualbox (devices > usb > click the hudl option). It's worth checking you're using the right version of RKflashtool on the virtual machine, I had no luck to start with until I realised I was using the 64 bit variant - the 32 bit version worked first time. I don't think I've been particularly clear or concise here but hopefully it's helped!

Guest Cosman

Hello,this is my first attempt at rooting a Hudl.

Using the method from the first post in the thread,I'm getting this in the terminal

libusbx: error [op_open] open failed, code -1 errno 32
rkflashtool: fatal: cannot open device

Has anybody got any idea what is happening please?

Guest flurry

Hello,this is my first attempt at rooting a Hudl.

Using the method from the first post in the thread,I'm getting this in the terminal

libusbx: error [op_open] open failed, code -1 errno 32

rkflashtool: fatal: cannot open device

Has anybody got any idea what is happening please?

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like the hudl isn't in the right flashing mode - are you sure you're pressing the reset hole not the mic hole?

Guest Cosman

Thanks for the reply!

Yes it is the reset hole,the one on the back near the volume switch,with gold inside.

I suspected it might be something like that,its not showing up in the file manager tree,or on the desktop or anything?

Followed the instructions carefully,turned it off,connected it to the computer,held the volume up switch and pressed the reset for a second,and kept the volume up switch held for 10 seconds,then a quick press of the power switch to make sure its not in charging mode?

Its doing something as I have real problems turning it on again after trying this.

Could it be a problem with the Hudl,as it does turn itself on sometimes,after its been switched off?  :wacko:

I do hope its not faulty,as its my third one and only had it a few weeks,the first one got so hot charging,it burnt all the case,along with all the other problems,the second one had graphics issues,then froze hard and the Tesco Tech support tried to do a reset with a pin etc. but it did not want to know! 

Guest flurry

If you're having problems turning it on again after booting it to the flashing mode it sounds like you're successfully getting it into the right mode. I wouldn't worry about this unless you're having problems turning it on after turning it off normally.

What OS are you on? It may be more to do with the 'libusbx' part of the error than the 'cannot open device' part. According to the libusbx site (http://libusbx.org/) it's now been merged back to the libusb and advises you should switch to libusb instead. I would explore this next

Guest Cosman

Sorry for the late reply,and thanks very much for your help!

At the moment I'm still using Ubuntu 13.04,its on an old laptop I was given that I'm using until I replace my PC that died.

But I will be replacing it with Debian Testing,which I normally use,and only put Ubuntu on it as I was playing around trying different distros at the time.

That should solve the problem.

Thanks again for your help.  :)