Root your Moto G - option 1: Superboot

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest terminal 7

bootloader unlocked as per moto website using oem unlock etc.

but this boot image isnt doing a thing for root, no super user here and in terminal entering su dont work either so no root..

mine is tesco brand version but unlocked to any network with an unlock code

any ideas ??

(( (   ( help )  )   ))

bootloader unlocked as per moto website using oem unlock etc.

but this boot image isnt doing a thing for root, no super user here and in terminal entering su dont work either so no root..

mine is tesco brand version but unlocked to any network with an unlock code

any ideas ??

(( (   ( help )  )   ))

You have the same problem as me. There is no solution yet.

Guest dt_matthews

It boots normally, but no su apk, when i try root checker it says it's not root, and if y a try to install superSU it says binaries are missing.

downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.281s]

It's not too short for an almost 7 Mo file ? why 'boot.img' and not 'boot.superboot.img' ?

Thanks

I appear to have the same - it says it downloads the img to the phone but when it reboots there is no root.

anyone got any thoughts?

{I'm on a win8 x64 machine}

tia

Edited by dt_matthews

Guest Sebastian404

Well done..  I had a quick look yesterday at it, but I could not get the thing to boot with a new image, I was getting a 'hab check failed' error when I tried to flash an modified boot image..

Whats the secret step I missed then? :)

Guest PaulOBrien

I have a Tesco one arriving today so I'll try the root on that.

Sebastian404, not sure, I didn't do anything different for this device over what I normally do, it's just a regular boot image...

P

device rooted yestarday, thanks

on my experience it works on second attemp:

- unlock

- superboot-windows.bat

- reboot

- setup

- *** no root ***

- reboot bootloader

- superboot-windows.bat

- reboot

- root

did "fastboot oem lock" works to remove the bootloader alert screen?

Paul, I already tried other operating systems (I have tripleboot: OSX, Win8.1, Kali Linux), other cables and switching USB ports (also tried both USB3 and USB2.0), semms not to have any effect..

might be a dumb question but have you tried flashing the retail english rom and  then trying the root method, just to see if it works ?

Just did so, flashed _everything_ (including logo & radio) from retail.en.GB. No effect, besides the fact that the phone shows me "en.GB" in system version now. Still cannot boot Pauls superboot.

Guest PaulOBrien

Just did so, flashed _everything_ (including logo & radio) from retail.en.GB. No effect, besides the fact that the phone shows me "en.GB" in system version now. Still cannot boot Pauls superboot.

Seriously weird then, technically our phones are identical!!!

P

Seriously weird then, technically our phones are identical!!!

P

Are you able to flash your superboot.img as primary boot partition and boot from it without an error?

Just out of interest does doing a full flash re-lock the bootloader?

Guest Samlock

Got a Tesco handset arriving in the next few hours - if you want anything from a stock one let me know! Will be trying this as soon as it's out of the box and unlocked :)

Guest PaulOBrien

Got a Tesco handset arriving in the next few hours - if you want anything from a stock one let me know! Will be trying this as soon as it's out of the box and unlocked :)

I have one coming today too...

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi paul, i have a tesco 16gb version, just unbranded and then unlocked bootloader and now trying to root ....the r2 superboot has still not given me root :(

I'll check it out when I get mine.

P