Root your Moto G - option 1: Superboot

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sesquipedality

I have a 16GB Moto G running UK Retail 4.3 (no sim lock or bootloader lock).  I have tried this method several times, and had to do a full wipe 4-5 times before the root took.  (I was working on the theory that this and the sideloading bug had similar properties and might thus be related permissions problems).  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to whether it will work or not, and in fact I had given up and halfheartedly tried with my last flash only to find to my suprise that the phone actually successfully rooted.  (This hasn't fixed the sideloading bug though, so I guess the theory was wrong.)

I can confirm that changing Moto Care settings (even from initial setup) has no effect, contrary to the advice in this thread and elsewhere.  It seems as though persistence is the key.  I tried at least five times before I started doing factory resets without success.  It may have been the factory reset which allowed for eventual success, but it could just be a matter of repeatly booting to recovery and running the batch file until it takes.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Guest sesquipedality

markhuges - when you unlock the bootloader, you give a unique device ID to motorola in order to get an unlock key.  They therefore know that you have unlocked that particular device.  Although there are dire warnings about voiding warranties on the Motorola website, if you live in the EU, this is pretty much irrelevant, as you cannot waive your EU consumer rights.  You probably aren't going to get support from Motorola if, say, the OTA upgrade fails, but if the hardware doesn't work after you've put stock back on it, then a refund should still be possible.

Unlocking the bootloader puts up a warning about the bootloader being unlocked when you first boot the phone.  It is possible to remove this using the method documented at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2548530,  but Motorola still have that database of unlocked phones and your phone will be on it.

Edited by sesquipedality

Guest creambyemute

This method did not work for me at the first try. WIndows 8.1 64Bit

How it did NOT WORK for me:

What I did: 

# Follow instructions :)

# Rebooted and installed SuperSU

WHat happened:

# No SuperSU binaries available

How it did WORK for me:

What I did:

# Follow instructions until running the .bat file

# DO NOT run the .bat file with right click --> run as admin

# INSTEAD open CMD as admin --> navigate to the .bat file --> execute the .bat file

What happened:

# Binaries are there. SuperSU should find them now

If this is of help for anyone I'm happy as I wasted 1 hour trying to root my Moto G (somehow harder than nexus :( and I'm not talking about Toolkits hehe)

Guest Brushstroke

So, I booted the superboot.img file not using the script but using a method outlined in the second post of this thread. By just manually booting it using fastboot. Seems to have worked just fine and now my dad's Moto G is rooted so he can have AdAway, but something weird happened in the process of rooting the phone. When it rebooted after I typed the command to boot the img file, instead of booting normally it went through the Motorola logo animation, and then the screen turned a weird purple and pink color and then turned black. I could tell the backlight was still on even though the screen was black, so it was doing something I think? Anyway, I waited about four or five minutes and held down the power button to turn it off and turned it back on. It booted up like normal, I checked SuperSU to see if the SU binary got there, and it was there so it's rooted. I'm just really confused by the purple screen. What was that about?

Edited by Brushstroke

Guest Brushstroke

Had that too and was scared. On next boot it will not appear. But this is definitely a bit scary

Maybe that's a screen it shows when it doesn't have anything to show if there's no GUI? I mean, it's booting an .img file instead of the normal OS. 

Guest Brushstroke

bit of a problem when loading the boot.img into the unlocked phone....  it ddn't work... the unlock went fine(have the moto warning now) but the phone won't load the system...  goes thru the 7 moto icon screens, then stops at the aqua M screen... this is a US GSM phone... any suggestions would be helpful!

a bit more info,  after going thru the pages on this topic, it appears that my phone does the same thing as others, seems to take the super-boot.img, appears to "melt down" purple streek screen then goes into the void... black screen, but not off.. after waiting 10-15minutes, restarted and showed the unlocked screen, goes thru about 4 of the moto startup screens, then into the black... still on, just acts bricked(?)  can still get into the boot loader window, but not sure where to go from here..

jmw

This happened to me too, also a US GSM model. After I unlocked the phone, it went through a bunch of screens and kept rebooting. I had to use the guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2542219'>here to restore it to the stock firmware. I just restored it to the 4.4.2 firmware since I took the OTA update before unlocking. Then I installed SuperSU from the Play Store, and booted to fastboot mode. In fastboot, I manually booted the boot.img in the OP (without the script, that is), which is when I noticed the purple and pink screen you describe. I thought I'd bricked it. Then it went to a black screen with the backlight still on. I left it there for about four or five minutes and turned it off and turned it back on again. It booted like normal and the SU binary was installed for SuperSU, it's rooted. 

Guest sittinghere

When I try to run fastboot it flashes up on the screen for a second then dissapears can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please?

IM on win 7 pro 64 bit.

thanks.

Guest sittinghere

What are you exactly trying to do? I don't get the step were you're at.

IM trying to load the fastbooter on the pc so I can enter commands at the command prompt.

thanks

Guest captain.tama

I just tried to root my device (after having moved to Android KitKat, french edition) on Mac.

The process :

- unlock bootloader through Motorola Website

- follow the steps (did a mistake though : type "./superboot-mac.sh" instead of "sudo ./superboot-mac.sh")

It did boot the first time, did load packets or make updates (like when moving to KitKat) and then poped up with some weird warnings (at the end of the process).

I click on OK (I had no choice) and force reboot 'cause I can't get any other screen.

Now when booting the screen is enlightened but black (it boots with the "Warning Bootloader unlocked" screen and then the Motorola "movie" starter and I get tot that weird black screen).

Tried ./adb-mac devices but no device is attached
List of devices attached

What is not working ?

The worst is that I can't get to the former "unrooted" Moto G.

I am really lost, any idea of what can bring my device back to life ?

Thx in advance

Edited by captain.tama

Guest free2hear

subject: loader stuck at motorola's warning screen

hello everyone (thnks Paul for the effort)

have a moto g 8gb uk retail no sim lock on win7x64. it came with android 4.3 and unlocked the bootloader after receiving android 4.4.2. i rooted it with r2 and the modified boot.superboot.a1Pha.

nevertheless everytime i go to the bootloader screen and try to select any option at the boot mode menu i only get the white screen from motorola with the warning about the booloader.

if i go by power+vol down i can enter the oot screen but after i choose any option recover/factory/etc i just guet that warning screen an nothing happens. if i go through adb i open command window connect with usb but the same happens.

so i'm unable to get through any recovery screen but the phone works, and is rooted.

any help (really) appreciated.

Guest free2hear

this thread forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2585755 seems to be helping a bit. at least i managed to take that awful warning screen away by flashing fastboot flash logo logo.bin. nvertheless i cant acess recovery by usual means. the only way is to flash twrp and acess it through fastboot boot twrp_falcon_44.img

i hope this helps anyone

Guest beegee7730

I have a UK stock Moto G, and if I try to root using this method my device shows the Motorola logo, then fades purple until eventually it's green lines. If I force power off and reboot I don't have SU. Is there a fix for this?

I have a UK stock Moto G, and if I try to root using this method my device shows the Motorola logo, then fades purple until eventually it's green lines. If I force power off and reboot I don't have SU. Is there a fix for this?

i had the same issue however it was succesfull on first boot, this method didnt work for me on 4.3 and had to use the modified recovery method, anyways this time i flashed pauls stock 4.3 retail did the ota to 4.4.2 and tried the superboot and it worked

Guest beegee7730

Just a heads up to all.

I tried using this method and got the green bars, and left it on my device for 10-15 minutes just in the hope that it'd somehow work.

It caused burn in on my screen, and I had to use one of those burn-in/dead pixel fixers for about an hour before it was back to normal, and I assume it could cause personal damage.

Of course this is common knowledge, but don't leave contrasting colours on your screen for a long time.

Edit:

By the way, if this doesn't work, try installing SuperSU off the Play Store after running. For me, everything except the Superuser APK was installed and working, so I just downloaded SuperSU and it functioned fine.

Edited by beegee7730

Guest motorola moto g

Hi.

Thank you Paul.

I was going to root but I scanned Superboot r2 before for viruses in two massive online antivirus https://www.virustotal.com/es/ and http://virscan.org/ and in both of them TheHacker detects the virus Backdoor/IRCBot.pbr

So I think I´m not going to root it now.

Edited by motorola moto g

Guest synescu

I just rooted on my Moto G Google Play Edition (Android 4.4.2), It's really quick. Thank you very much!

can you dump your firmware?  a lot of users here and on XDA expect this firmware

somehow you managed to install a custom recovery?

thanks

Edited by synescu

Guest tcpaulh

Hi.

Thank you Paul.

I was going to root but I scanned Superboot r2 before for viruses in two massive online antivirus https://www.virustotal.com/es/ and http://virscan.org/ and in both of them TheHacker detects the virus Backdoor/IRCBot.pbr

So I think I´m not going to root it now.

Superboot is an exploit that one out of 40(?) scanners labels as suspicious. It's a hacktool . I'm surprised and impressed there aren't more false positives to be honest

Guest motorola moto g

Superboot is an exploit that one out of 40(?) scanners labels as suspicious. It's a hacktool . I'm surprised and impressed there aren't more false positives to be honest

Thank you very much for the explanation.

I´ll try then but now I have a doubt because there´s another option (option 2: modified recovery) and I don´t know if one is better than other (sorry but I´ve never rooted a device).

Thanks a lot

Guest alpine101

Went to stock UK retail 4.3 from rooted Tesco. Let it do the OTA download and then rooted with the Superboot method! (Couldn't get this to work on 4.3 and used method 2, but it worked on KK)

Guest krotwijk

Voted and rooted windows 8.1 64bit

First it looked like it didn't work.

Second time waited 5 minutes after purple screen and supersu was installed

Thanks Paul

Guest MeltingPointGold

Win 7 x64   ^_^. Unlocked the phone (XT1032 16gb 4.4.2)  :wub:, fastboot, run the script as admin  :mellow:, the phone showed the white screen with motorola logo :wacko:  and then became "vertical stripy multicolor" :blink:  :angry:  and then smoothly changed to black  :unsure: ... After nearly having a heart attack :( just rebooted (5 sec after black screen) and everything was fine :blink:. Launched SuperSU and it worked  :D

Edited by MeltingPointGold