Root your Moto G - option 2: Modified recovery

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest woahnelly

Update. Check for another 'Apply update from SD' option. I had two and only noticed the bottom one that did nothing. When I selected the first 'Apply update from SD' option dev man picks up on the device, I load driver, run the command, then I get a nice rooted phone!

Maybe just me as I think it would be mentioned already, but for those that couldn't get it working double check you dont have 2 Apply update from SD options.

Edited by woahnelly

Guest Schell82

Hello,

This solution doesn't work for me (neither the other one).

I have unlocked the bootloader, and when I send the first command, the phone show "hab bad check" or something like this and the phone reboot in normal state.

When I have the time to put recovery, the phone just shut down.

I have a Moto G 16GB from SFR (France).

Anyone has the same problem ?

Thank you.

Guest woahnelly

I have unlocked the bootloader, and when I send the first command, the phone show "hab bad check" or something like this and the phone reboot in normal state.

When I have the time to put recovery, the phone just shut down.

Are you pressing the power button to select recovery rather than the up button? I did that instinctively the first time :p

Guest Schell82

Are you pressing the power button to select recovery rather than the up button? I did that instinctively the first time :P

Shame on me, that was the problem.

I was so sure to do the correct trick...

Thanks my friend !

Edited by Schell82

Guest tinyrodent

Superboot didn't work for me so I tried this method. But the symptoms are the same as reported by some others, where after starting up the phone in recovery mode it is no longer recognized by Windows. I'm using XP 32-bit. I can select XT1032 in Device Manager and try to update drivers, but there are no compatible drivers listed in any device category. Am I supposed to extract the Motorola driver files somehow and choose the "From Disk" option? The drivers work just fine when the phone boots normally, it's only in Recovery mode that it is unrecognized. Not sure what to try next.

Guest linspinho

tinyrodent, what you need to do is connect the phone in normal mode, booted , from windows go to hardware properties e find the well installed phone driver as you said, try to get all informations about it , like name, path that could help you to identify the driver and/or its location. Then start the process again.

I think you getting problem when windows show a list of generic drivers, thats where a got problem, because I couldnt find motorola driver, that list is like a folder, so inside that ones might be more choices. I clicked one that has "some android" or "adk android" or "apk android", I dont remember, but if you have the driver name that you got from hardware properties it will be inside one of that "folders".

Ok, thanks !

The first option did not work for me (French SFR Moto G 16G) and I had some problems using linux ubuntu for this one.

I had permissions errors on the adb sideload command, and the adb device give me "????????????    no permissions".

It seems that it was the same problem that the Windows users have encountered with their drivers.

To make it work, I had to launch the following commands :

sudo ./adb kill-server;

sudo ./adb start-server

And it worked, the device was recognized, the sideload worked and know I can use Titanium backup !

Perhaps these commands could work for windows users too ?

I found that my vendor id changed from motorola (22b8) to google (18d1) it could be the reason... perhaps ?

Guest tinyrodent

Ok here is what it looks like when booted normally. There are two items in Device Manager I can see related to the Moto G:

post-1031334-0-59545200-1386379579_thumbpost-1031334-0-76705800-1386379591_thumb

The "adb devices" command lists the serial number as expected. I unplug the phone, power off, fast boot, choose recovery, and get the recovery menu. Reconnect usb, and choose the first menu item "apply update from sdcard". At this point I hear the USB device hot plug sound effect from Windows and return to Device Manager. Here is what is looks like:

post-1031334-0-58849800-1386380128_thumb

But when I try to Update Drivers for this unknown device, no matter what category of driver I look at the message is always "Unable to find any drivers for this device". I tried specifying directly the folder containing the standard Google USB driver which comes with the SDK, but the result is the same.

I noticed that if I connect the USB cable while the fastboot menu is displayed, then the Motorola ADB Interface device is listed, but not the other one. And furthermore, even though it's listed in Device Manager, adb does not list it. Restarting adb server does not help.

I also tried adb reboot recovery instead of manually fastbooting to the recovery menu, but it still has the same problem with not recognizing the device in this mode. Argh.

Men i cant update dll u.u. you can send me dlls plz

Ok here is what it looks like when booted normally. There are two items in Device Manager I can see related to the Moto G:

attachicon.gifadb.pngattachicon.gifxt1032.png

The "adb devices" command lists the serial number as expected. I unplug the phone, power off, fast boot, choose recovery, and get the recovery menu. Reconnect usb, and choose the first menu item "apply update from sdcard". At this point I hear the USB device hot plug sound effect from Windows and return to Device Manager. Here is what is looks like:

attachicon.gifunknown.png

But when I try to Update Drivers for this unknown device, no matter what category of driver I look at the message is always "Unable to find any drivers for this device". I tried specifying directly the folder containing the standard Google USB driver which comes with the SDK, but the result is the same.

I noticed that if I connect the USB cable while the fastboot menu is displayed, then the Motorola ADB Interface device is listed, but not the other one. And furthermore, even though it's listed in Device Manager, adb does not list it. Restarting adb server does not help.

I also tried adb reboot recovery instead of manually fastbooting to the recovery menu, but it still has the same problem with not recognizing the device in this mode. Argh.

Guest terminal 7

off topic just a little but does anyone know what functions the recovery list perform ?  it has apply update in 2 positions and this leads me to think all functions are out of order , so much so i dont even want to risk a cache wipe !  any ideas?

and the root method in this topic is brilliant, worked for me when superboot would not - genius work again from Paul.

==PEACE==

Guest linspinho

hi men. 

I have a problem, when i put the fastboot flash mode and apply recovery.

i see the next text : "hab check failed for recovery"  u.u

Hi organn, I dont know what is "u.u",  the text "hab check failed for recovery" does not mean anything or dont prevent you keeping going!

If you getting problem with windows not recognizing the phone, ready the pag 3 of this topic, you'll find a answer!!

Edited by linspinho

Hi.

This option worked for me (superboot did not).

After reading all posts from the other users I will try to resume what I did:

-I´m using Win 7 64 bits. My Moto G has only 1 chip (8 giga model).

-Downloaded the motorola drivers AND de android developer kit (yes you will need this)

-Installed motorola drivers and extracted the android developer kit

-Allowed the USB debugging (search the posts to see how to do this)

-Unlocked the bootloader (no problems here)

-Followed all the steps in this topic. I had problem right after the "apply update from sd" step. Windows misses the driver and the last command "adb-windows sideload supersu.motog.zip" could not be run. Keep the celphone connected to the computer.

-Some user posted this: http://blog.dantup.com/2012/10/fixing-adb-device-not-found-with-nexus-7-in-recovery-mode/ . Search the android developer kit for this archive: android_winusb.inf (path: adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20131030\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver).

Edit this file (make a backup first): android_winusb.inf . Add this code:

[Google.NTamd64]

; !-- snip other devices... --!

; Google Nexus 7
; !-- snip existing device IDs --!
; This is the HardwareID shown in Device Manager for the "Nexus"
;  device when in Recovery mode
%CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_D001

-Save the file. Leave it with the other files.
-Go to the device manager in the control panel. You will see that the XT 1032 (is your android device) is missing the driver. Right click on it and click "update driver". Now search the file that you just edited. Insert the path and try to install the driver. Windows will ask if you want to continue. Click Yes. After the driver installed, run the command adb-windows sideload supersu.motog.zip. Reboot the phone.
-Rooted after it. 

Guest darksilk

I cant root yet. Im having the "Devide not found" error when trying to sideload.

Ive read the whole thread and i cant figure out how to fix it. I have the yellow mark on other devices menu in devices manager, but i dunno how to update the driver... Could somebody please help me? I just have the MotorolaDeviceManager_2.4.5.exe and thats how i supposed to install drivers.... Im on Windows 8

thanks in advance.

nvm.... i tried again with my W7 laptop and it just worked... seems like the problem was related with W8 tho...

Edited by darksilk

I cant root yet. Im having the "Devide not found" error when trying to sideload.

Ive read the whole thread and i cant figure out how to fix it. I have the yellow mark on other devices menu in devices manager, but i dunno how to update the driver... Could somebody please help me? I just have the MotorolaDeviceManager_2.4.5.exe and thats how i supposed to install drivers.... Im on Windows 8

thanks in advance.

nvm.... i tried again with my W7 laptop and it just worked... seems like the problem was related with W8 tho...

Google for "install unsigned drivers in Windows 8"

Guest linspinho

Ive read the whole thread and i cant figure out how to fix it. I have the yellow mark on other devices menu in devices manager, but i dunno how to update the driver... Could somebody please help me? I just have the MotorolaDeviceManager_2.4.5.exe and thats how i supposed to install drivers.... Im on Windows 8

thanks in advance.

Put a think  in your mind, with Windows find the driver in normal use, your driver will be there, you just need patiences to find it, take a look in others post reply of mine!