How to flash the US Global GSM 4.4.2 ROM to your UNLOCKED UK device

Guest Simon O

Guest Simon O

Tried that still no joy, also tried rooting & installing infusion custom rom & I still have the sim lock.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe a CWM backup of the original Tesco rom might get my signal back? If anyone actually has one of those???

How about flashing the tesco rom from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14 ?

Guest jusumgeezer

Managed to get it back onto 4.3, but still showing no signal, so took it back for an exchange ;)

Just flashed my replacement handset with the unbranded GB from the pinned topic without unlocking the boot loader, happy days!

Think I'll stick on 4.3 for the time being, or at least until paul makes a similar script that'll flash 4.4.2 with minimal effort, me nerves can't take it anymore :wacko:

It looks to me like there is a problem getting sim unlock codes for the 8GB Tesco version, tried a few different sellers who said its not registered with motorola servers, not sure if this is to do with the 8GB being sold PAYG & the 16GB on contract. Obviously you're tied into 2 years on the 16GB if it's unlocked or not, where as the 8GB PAYG would lose a lot of money if it was unlocked straight away

Edited by jusumgeezer

you can easily make a script to flash the factory roms with ease,

just make a new txt document and add this (asuming the fastboot.exe is name like below >> fastboot-moto-windows.exe) if not rename it (the .exe)

fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash logo logo.bin
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash boot boot.img
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot-moto-windows.exe erase modemst1
fastboot-moto-windows.exe erase modemst2
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot-moto-windows.exe erase cache
fastboot-moto-windows.exe erase userdata

then rename it to .bat (change .txt to .bat) add it to the folder with the factory rom/fastboot and double click it when the phones in bootloader mode.

or you could just add the .bat file from paul's package (flash-windows.bat) as its the same as above, right click on it and open with notepad to see

Guest jusumgeezer

Yeah, I had actually looked at that when I first got the phone, it's really just a list of commands that you would enter yourself in fastboot mode.

As soon as I got this phone home on day one I unlocked the bootloader & looked for stock roms & custom 4.4 stuff. initally these roms wouldn't flash in the RSD tool I was also getting a lot of permission denied errors when attempting to flash in fastboot mode. Moto's website instructions were for the MotoX. I couldn't find the relevent commands & got fed up, but after watching the command window when these scripts run, it was a very simple

Hopefully the 4.4.2 update pushes faster than end of jan, like the US one did

Edited by jusumgeezer

Guest TescoHudl

jusumgeezer, I also have a Tesco mobile Moto G, mine is the 16GB model. Purchased an unlocking code off Ebay this evening, hoping to upgrade to Kitkat, but the seller contacted me saying that he could not find the unlocking code on the servers. Strange how the issue is affecting both the 8GB and 16GB models. I don't get why the phones haven't been registered with Motorola servers!

It's a shame because i had downloaded and setup all the stuff ready to do the upgrade.

I'm going to contact Motorola tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. Not much i suspect...

Guest Simon O

It's weird as some people have been able to get unlock codes for the Tesco phones.. weird that some don't have codes available though. 

Tesco charge £20 to unlock the phone :(

Hope the UK update comes out soon.

Guest Simon O

Hi,

I have a tesco moto g unlocked via ebay.  If I wish to install this ROM do I need to root the device?  If so, how can I go about doing this?

Thanks

No. You just need to read the instructions and make sure your bootloader is unlocked. There is a guide on the forum for doing this.

You might be better off waiting for the UK update in a few weeks though

can someone please pull and upload > framework-res.apk & SystemUI.apk 

i need them so i can correct the H icon not showing, and make a separate version that replaces Motorola's silly network icons with stock android 

and also make a change that might fix the problems with dual sim devices.

Guest punjabi

Well... Fibs seems to havevclocked this one again. Excellent work matey!

So then, dies anyone want to give us all a bit if a review as to the changes and new features Kitkat has to offer...? ;-)

Just wanted to say thanks for this upload. I have just installed this update to KitKat, I'm amazed. It's really quick. Installed 1st time without a hitch. The awesomeness of the Moto G continues. This is the best value device i have ever purchased. £99 @ Tesco, it's madness.

When the update finished, the phone didn't leave the bootloader menu, so I had to select "normal startup" with VOL- button, then VOL+ to select. Also noticed when booting immediately after, the Motorola logo appears to freeze, but just needed to be patient. Just a little heads-up to help anxiety of others. :)

Thanks again.

here is a small mod that should replace the horrible custom network icons with the stock AOSP icons &  placement (above signal bar),

it might also add settings for dual sim will need to let me know about that. if so i can make two separate versions

Flash in recovery, make a backup first (or if someone uploads the stock systemUI.apk i can make a revert.zip)

SystemUI_AOSP_Dual_Sim_Fix.zip

Guest jusumgeezer

Just a quick update that my new 8GB model from Tesco unlocked fine via the ebay seller, the same one who couldn't unlock my 1st one so I must of had a different batch. Used a 3 sim for the unlock & it worked fine first try.

Im now back on the stock GB rom but am getting really annoyed by the operator logo in the status bar & cant manaully install any apps due to a parsing error. I thought the stock rom fixed this but aparently not. Can't remember what I used last time but I was rooted. Not even unlock the boot loader on this model yet, but I'm tempted to give the US 4.4.2 a go again...

Guest legómina

I managed to update my Moto G bought at amazon.co.uk with this ROM. Everything went just fine, except several error messages (check failed and similar) while updating process (I checked the md5sums of every file and compared it with xml, there were no differences so I do not know what caused errors).

I have also downgraded the bootloader and rooted.

Thanks for the tutorial!

Guest Simon O

Apparently Google Location service drains battery on KitKat.

Doesn't happen to everyone for some unknown reason. If it does then just disable Location reporting from Settings > Location. 

Guest jusumgeezer

OP was updated by Flibblesan on 25th December??!!??

Now there's dedication for you ;)

Just read back through & there is quite a few posting on Christmas day, myself included. Obviously we had nothing better to do?

Might give this another go tonight on my new unlocked handset.Hopefully without issue this time...

Edited by jusumgeezer

Guest h@mster81

Doesn't happen to everyone for some unknown reason. If it does then just disable Location reporting from Settings > Location.

Thanks, it improved a lot. I will report back next week.

Guest irishpancake

Thanks for this guide flibblesan.... I'm away with my son and grandkids for a few days, but definitely will do this when I get back to lap(top)land!! BTW, has it been confirmed that Miracast is available and working?? I used the hack [ tillaz] to see it in 4.3, but it does not work, at least not with my LG Smart TV.... Also, can the new Kernel be flashed on the 4.3 BL??

Edited by irishpancake

Guest jusumgeezer

Went ahead & flashed this today. Made sure my phone was unlocked this time, but stupidly forgot to unlock the bootloader (new handset DOH!) which resulted in a lovely bootloop, after flashing the stock 4.3_GB I unlocked the bootloader & installed the US 4.4.2.

Had a moment of extreme worry watching the command window, there were a few PIV errors about size mismatch along with the HAB CHECK stuff, but seems to have booted fine & is restoring my Google account as I type...

Edited by jusumgeezer

Guest h@mster81

I still have battery drain issues with NlpWakeLock and LocationManagerService although google location services have been switched off. It's not awful but not ideal either.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4a3SMK6n-gpbVVzYUpwV0UxYzQ/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4a3SMK6n-gpUG42VnVBYU5CQkE/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: this sounds like an explanation:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=48584716&postcount=58

Edited by h@mster81