Don't buy this expecting cheap unlock

Guest ArcticFox

Guest thaicbr

Just received from tesco today (ordered xmas eve) got the code within 30 minutes from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Unlock-Code-Moto-G-XT389-Motorola-MotoSmart-MotoLuxe-/221326995328?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item33881def80

worked a treat..I also did *#06# in the phone dialler to get it to tell me the imei number rather than go from the box label.... 

happy.. now just waiting on Amazon to deliver the Orly fusion case.. it should be today.. but it's not even saying dispatched yet.. and its 4pm

Guest ArcticFox

Just to follow up: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G-Mobile-Phone-Unlock-Code-/111223239973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e56bf525

First try didn't work, he offered to unlock it for £5.50 and to take three business days, it came today and my phone is now fully unlocked.

If the £2 unlock doesn't work, message him and he will sort you out.

Edited by ArcticFox

Guest Simon O

Just to follow up: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G-Mobile-Phone-Unlock-Code-/111223239973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e56bf525

First try didn't work, he offered to unlock it for £5.50 and to take three business days, it came today and my phone is now fully unlocked.

Interesting! Glad that it worked out in the end though and £5.50 is better than paying £20 to Tesco!

Guest TescoHudl

Just to follow up: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Moto-G-Mobile-Phone-Unlock-Code-/111223239973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e56bf525

Thanks for letting us know the result of using the second server option. I think i'll go ahead and do it after reading about your success. :-)

Guest intheblue

I've unlocked a Tesco 8gb & 16gb through eBay codes (returned in less than 5 mins) with no problems.

If you get a Tesco phone that a code can't be found for just take it back for a refund and but another one and try that. They don't seem to quibble about returns as longer as they are as new condition. 

Guest Simon O

I've unlocked a Tesco 8gb & 16gb through eBay codes (returned in less than 5 mins) with no problems.

If you get a Tesco phone that a code can't be found for just take it back for a refund and but another one and try that. They don't seem to quibble about returns as longer as they are as new condition. 

Or pay the extra £3.50 for a working unlock code which would be cheaper than returning it to the store for a replacement.

Guest intheblue

Or pay the extra £3.50 for a working unlock code which would be cheaper than returning it to the store for a replacement.

What's the cost of returning it to a store?

Guest TescoHudl

ArcticFox: How did you get your unlock on the second server for £5.50? I just sent him a message about it, and he provided me with a link to this auction: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=160993247848

In that auction the code is £6.50, not £5.50? I know it's only a pound difference, but i was curious as to if he had put the prices up or something?

Guest Simon O

What's the cost of returning it to a store?

Bus fare, petrol etc. And you have no guarantee that the replacement will accept the cheap unlock code. Just seems utterly pointless to exchange the phone for the sake of a few quid for a working unlock code. 

The problem isn't with the phone or Tesco Mobile. The problem is whatever service these are using for the cheap codes isn't kept updated, yet the slightly more expensive service works perfectly. Wouldn't surprise me if the cheap service is just a Motorola Unlock Code Generator Application they have on their PCs. 

Guest ArcticFox

ArcticFox: How did you get your unlock on the second server for £5.50? I just sent him a message about it, and he provided me with a link to this auction: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=160993247848

In that auction the code is £6.50, not £5.50? I know it's only a pound difference, but i was curious as to if he had put the prices up or something?

I paid him outside of ebay, saves him on fees.

Guest Cable Monkey

Had to get a replacement 16GB from Tesco yesterday (having intially purchased in November).  Ever increasing frequency of rebooting made the phone near to unusable.  Tesco "helpline" were being sniffy about the phone being 29 days old and hence outside the replace/refund 28 day period. In-store staff were much more accommodating and gave me new phone with a little bit of persuasion. 

Got my SIM unlock for my new phone this morning from smgreen1969 on ebay.  Seven minutes after sending IMIE number.  Worked first time (as it did on my previous Moto g in November).

No reboots so far on the new phone.

Guest irishpancake
Had to get a replacement 16GB from Tesco yesterday (having intially purchased in November). Ever increasing frequency of rebooting made the phone near to unusable. Tesco "helpline" were being sniffy about the phone being 29 days old and hence outside the replace/refund 28 day period. In-store staff were much more accommodating and gave me new phone with a little bit of persuasion. Got my SIM unlock for my new phone this morning from smgreen1969 on ebay. Seven minutes after sending IMIE number. Worked first time (as it did on my previous Moto g in November).No reboots so far on the new phone.
What?? 28 days is really just a cooling off period....Tesco should not even mention faults in the same sentence!!! http://www.tescomobile.com/about-us/mobile-phone-returns-policy

Pay as you go customersYou have a 28 day cooling off period, starting when you bought your phone. If you change your mind or your phone develops a fault during this time, you can send it back to us ‘as sold’ for a refund or repair.If your phone develops a fault after your cooling-off period
In fact, the most important statement on that Tesco page is:

This doesn’t affect your statutory rights
These are considerable, and are in addition to any Retailer or Manufacturer's Warranty. Edited by irishpancake

Guest misterbartlett

This is strange. I don't understand why people are having problems with the unlock. I bought my Moto G on 20-11-2013 from Tesco for £99, locked to their own network, not even a O2 SIM card would work. Anyway, within the next day or so,  I seen other users were able to unlock through the IMEI and code entry, purchasing the code from Ebay for just over £2 - £2.04 IIRC), which made me take the gamble. Long story short, I too purchased the unlock code through the same Ebay user and to my surprise... Code Accepted - Unlocked for any network. 

I have since unlocked bootloader, installed CWM / custom ROM and rotted the device... not rotted sorry, that sounds disgusting  :huh: .. ROOTED the device, but no problems so far - still unlocked.

So i suppose, my message here is to say, don't be put off buying the phone because of troubles unlocking, because it is very possible - both cheap and easy. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to the ebay seller I used or not, so I have left it out of this post. I'm happy to PM though. It's a lot of phone for not a lot of money to miss out on.

Hope you all had a good xmas and new year ahead.

Mark.

Guest markhuges

This is strange. I don't understand why people are having problems with the unlock. I bought my Moto G on 20-11-2013 from Tesco for £99, locked to their own network, not even a O2 SIM card would work. Anyway, within the next day or so,  I seen other users were able to unlock through the IMEI and code entry, purchasing the code from Ebay for just over £2 - £2.04 IIRC), which made me take the gamble. Long story short, I too purchased the unlock code through the same Ebay user and to my surprise... Code Accepted - Unlocked for any network. 

I have since unlocked bootloader, installed CWM / custom ROM and rotted the device... not rotted sorry, that sounds disgusting  :huh: .. ROOTED the device, but no problems so far - still unlocked.

So i suppose, my message here is to say, don't be put off buying the phone because of troubles unlocking, because it is very possible - both cheap and easy. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to the ebay seller I used or not, so I have left it out of this post. I'm happy to PM though. It's a lot of phone for not a lot of money to miss out on.

Hope you all had a good xmas and new year ahead.

Mark.

CAn you please post the Link of which seller you used to unlock the phone? thank you and 

Guest gavin.19

This is strange. I don't understand why people are having problems with the unlock.

There is nothing to understand. It (whatever the service actually is) works for some and not for others. I ordered my 8GB model on the 27th and it was available to collect today. The main seller was listed as 'on vacation' so I used another instead. 3 hours later and I got a message saying that the IMEI was rejected.

gavin.19, on 30 Dec 2013 - 5:21 PM, said:

There is nothing to understand. It (whatever the service actually is) works for some and not for others. I ordered my 8GB model on the 27th and it was available to collect today. The main seller was listed as 'on vacation' so I used another instead. 3 hours later and I got a message saying that the IMEI was rejected.

Are you going to try 'server 2', the 5.50 unlock, or the 20 pound one from Tesco

Guest gavin.19

Are you going to try 'server 2', the 5.50 unlock, or the 20 pound one from Tesco

I haven't had a response to the reply I sent about an hour ago. There was no mention of a refund or if they offered the alternative server method, but if they do then I'll certainly try it. My sister has one that she bought ~6 weeks ago so I might give that a shot and just swap handsets if it works.

It's more important I keep the number, not really fussed about the network. From what I've heard they're comparably cheap/reliable to O2 anyway so I might just jump ship and move the number over.

gavin.19, on 30 Dec 2013 - 6:12 PM, said:

I haven't had a response to the reply I sent about an hour ago. There was no mention of a refund or if they offered the alternative server method, but if they do then I'll certainly try it. My sister has one that she bought ~6 weeks ago so I might give that a shot and just swap handsets if it works.

It's more important I keep the number, not really fussed about the network. From what I've heard they're comparably cheap/reliable to O2 anyway so I might just jump ship and move the number over.

Yeah, they use the same masts as O2 so coverage should be the same. I don't think all the sellers can do the other method, I didn't have to worry about it.

Guest TescoHudl

This one is 'Especially for Tesco Mobile phones' apparently. I've bought a code from this guy already and it didn't work, but i dunno whether this more expensive one made for Tesco phones in particular will work? I sent him a message with my IMEI and am waiting for a response on whether he can get the unlocking code. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321286689814

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest gavin.19

This one is 'Especially for Tesco Mobile phones' apparently. I've bought a code from this guy already and it didn't work, but i dunno whether this more expensive one made for Tesco phones in particular will work? I sent him a message with my IMEI and am waiting for a response on whether he can get the unlocking code. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321286689814

That's the same guy I used earlier. I'll try this listing too. If it fails I'll just get my PAC from O2 and migrate to Tesco.

Guest TescoHudl

That's the same guy I used earlier. I'll try this listing too. If it fails I'll just get my PAC from O2 and migrate to Tesco.

Let us know what happens. I'm still waiting for a response to my message.

In smgreens's listing, it shows that the unlocking servers will be offline until the 1st January, so i don't know whether it will be the same with this chap. It might take until Wednesday before anything happens with the codes. :(

Guest gavin.19

Let us know what happens. I'm still waiting for a response to my message.

In smgreens's listing, it shows that the unlocking servers will be offline until the 1st January, so i don't know whether it will be the same with this chap. It might take until Wednesday before anything happens with the codes. :(

I'm sure they all use the same servers. As soon as I get the code (or don't), I'll leave a message.

EDIT: I got a reply informing me of a refund for the first listing, then I got another one about half an hour later saying exactly the same thing for the Tesco-specific listing. IMEI rejected again. I'm sorely tempted to just go the PAC route so I can at least start using the phone properly. If it's an issue with waiting for the servers to be updated then it could be weeks, if ever. I'm not going to sit around trying different unlockers every so often on the chance it'll work. I'm going to check out the £20 Tesco route as a last resort.

Edited by gavin.19