Continuation of IODAK's excellent work. [kernel] updated 14-09-02

Guest Mourta

Guest ottomanhero

I don't know why but I just had a freeze while multitasking, which is a must for a quadcore smartphone and with 1 GB of RAM (Viber, browser, tapatalk, play store).. It's quite not acceptable as it lasted 5 mins and I just waited for it to work again. I'll just go back to Dalvik for now, I'll send a catlog as soon as possible.

Edit: i'm using Dalvik right now, it seems I've got no issues now, I'm starting to think that ART has problems with new installations of apps as it works very good with no new installations...

This should probably be in ROM thread as you've suggested it's happening due to ART

Just asking, did you have any apps downloading/installing when these lags happened, via playstore? Seeing you had it in background.Installation of apks with art lib takes a lot of resources and time.It mostly causes freezes for me but it's worth the faster loading times imo.

Guest Krislv

This should probably be in ROM thread as you've suggested it's happening due to ART

Just asking, did you have any apps downloading/installing when these lags happened, via playstore? Seeing you had it in background.Installation of apks with art lib takes a lot of resources and time.It mostly causes freezes for me but it's worth the faster loading times imo.

Ah you're right I should've posted it in the rom thread, btw just once, I usually don't do that as I didn't install many apps, just the most useful ones and I didn't restore anything with Titanium.

But in general with Dalvik freezes don't happen anymore, just rarely and multitasking is acceptable. For multitasking I mean keeping viber open, playing some games (clash of clans for ex.) and being able to open an other app with no problems. With ART when I'm doing these things I can't receive calls properly as the phone lags or freezes..

Guest Mourta

I don't know why but I just had a freeze while multitasking, which is a must for a quadcore smartphone and with 1 GB of RAM (Viber, browser, tapatalk, play store).. It's quite not acceptable as it lasted 5 mins and I just waited for it to work again. I'll just go back to Dalvik for now, I'll send a catlog as soon as possible.

Edit: i'm using Dalvik right now, it seems I've got no issues now, I'm starting to think that ART has problems with new installations of apps as it works very good with no new installations...

That is no hang, that is a freeze and you can undo it by holding back.

If it's an actual hang the phone will reboot almost instanty. At this point if you want me to fix it, connect it to a computer and run adb logcat > error.log and send that to me.

I noted that this is a problem you are no longer having since you switched to Dalvik but in the future, i made a thread for these types of reports.

Guest Mourta

Just hit 8k+ in quadrant and 16.487 in anTuTu benchmark, no overclocking.

And i have 70+ commits waiting to make it better.

I do believe that the ART problem will be fixed by next release too. (TC->KC is now implemented).

Guest Mourta

The ART is really fast. Without new applications works perfectly. I have reinstalled everything and see: it flies! Thanks

I just popped the 8k cherry with no overclocking on Quantum.

16849 on anTuTu, i don't know if that is good for no overclocking.

I also fixed up the baseband, made it built in, fixed up intelliplug and updated devfreq.....

Oh and i added a few new merges to the ROM too, should be a nice experience running them together, it's ... well, there is no lag what so ever at any part.

As soon as the testing cre has given a new version it's ok, uploading a new test as we speak.

Sorry for keep writing that but...my gpu always stucks on 200 mhz...if i try to overclock it trough trickster mod when i apply it, the setting goes back to 416 but in fact it doesn't reach it anyway

Guest Gerard Szulc

Sorry for keep writing that but...my gpu always stucks on 200 mhz...if i try to overclock it trough trickster mod when i apply it, the setting goes back to 416 but in fact it doesn't reach it anyway

Turn off GPU scaling IF you want it to be still on 416. It reaches higher values when it needs when scaling is enabled

Guest ottomanhero

What version you on? What ROM are you using?

Increase voltage of low power core, especially the highest frequency (513 mhz?).It's a voltage interface for both GPU and lp core shared.I also don't recommend you to above 520 mhz if you don't want ridiculously high battery drain.This may be the reason why it's set back to 416.

Do a quadrant benchmark and report back your results so that we can get an idea if your gpu is actually scaling or if it's stuck @ 200 mhz.

Which tool/App to use for checking GPU Freqs?

I have also a bad AnTuTu 3D Benchmark and I use "Force GPU for 2D", but I have massive lags after phone is running for a while. So I would like to test, cause I`m thinking, my GPU doesnt perform like it should,

Edited by Guest

Guest ottomanhero

Which tool/App to use for checking GPU Freqs?

I have also a bad AnTuTu 3D Benchmark and I use "Force GPU for 2D", but I have massive lags after phone is running for a while. So I would like to test, cause I`m thinking, my GPU doesnt perform like it should,

Trickstermod

Using grouper blobs (which liquidsmooth does atm) reduces 3D antutu score.But it performs better/the same as blobs official CM uses.It's just a placebo.People usually use quadrant to benchmark since blobs don't change any results like it does in antutu.

Trickstermod

Using grouper blobs (which liquidsmooth does atm) reduces 3D antutu score.But it performs better/the same as blobs official CM uses.It's just a placebo.People usually use quadrant to benchmark since blobs don't change any results like it does in antutu.

but still app's like: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android

aint workin (cant scan) :D

Guest Mourta

but still app's like: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android

aint workin (cant scan) :D

You can just take the pic and use google goggles to scna the pic.

I won't use ancient binaries but i might consider using updates to make it work properly. I'm updating camera in the next release.

As well as adding MPdecision, intelliplug, a new version of bcmdhd and a sheitload of updates, a new implemtation of GPU OC and updated devfreq... i just have to get it right and you'll only get a release when it's stable.

This isn't like CM nightlies, i don't release crap that may or may not work.

Guest Mourta

Trickstermod

Acctually in 3d the grouper blobs perform 6-10 times better than the original blobs.

In actual games.

Now if you don't play games or use your screen from any animations.. well you do so...

I'm running a full update to v4l2 for our stuff.. patching drivers as i go... we can use hardfp with my stuff.

I like the new version, it's so fast that sometimes i think that it's a psychic phone because it strarts the app as soon as kin , even a bit of skin, hit's the screen..

This is faster than the G2 stock, there is no quesion about that, it's more fluent.

Guest technofreak

I installed latest kernel,and all is great except one thing. I notice that CPU scaling alot from 51 to 370 mhz in Idle. Is this OK.

Abysplugv2,westwood,inteliplug enabled

Guest abhi08638

Acctually in 3d the grouper blobs perform 6-10 times better than the original blobs.

In actual games.

Now if you don't play games or use your screen from any animations.. well you do so...

I'm running a full update to v4l2 for our stuff.. patching drivers as i go... we can use hardfp with my stuff.

I like the new version, it's so fast that sometimes i think that it's a psychic phone because it strarts the app as soon as kin , even a bit of skin, hit's the screen..

This is faster than the G2 stock, there is no quesion about that, it's more fluent.

I was wondering if it would be possible to always keep two cores active and activate core 2 when core 0 is at a certain load and activate core 3 when core 1 is at a certain load. It seems like a good idea since frequently activating and deactivating cores wastes time and power. Is it possible?

Guest tool_king

I was wondering if it would be possible to always keep two cores active and activate core 2 when core 0 is at a certain load and activate core 3 when core 1 is at a certain load. It seems like a good idea since frequently activating and deactivating cores wastes time and power. Is it possible?

Wouldn't that make battery life a lot worse?

Guest abhi08638

Wouldn't that make battery life a lot worse?

Not completely sure. But the second core turns on anyway if you start scrolling and turns off after 2 seconds on idle. I dont think it would affect battery life that much, but then again I don't know since its what Franco did in his kernels

Guest ottomanhero

Intelliplug in latest version of this kernel, is pretty good at saving juice.About 2nd core being online, it is turned on if you scroll too fast but not when for example you read some thread and scroll down slowly.Also even in trickstermod, I barely got it to use 2 cores by just scrolling, despite trickstermod's real-time core monitoring being on (which also makes CPU use higher freqs or turn on more cores)

If you want good battery life, undervolt low power core (also undervolts GPU) and CPU.Then underclock to 1300 mhz.I've played around with abyssplug settings.Mourta did a very fine job finding the balance between battery life and performance, so I'd say CPU core management is as good as it can be.

Guest abhi08638

Intelliplug in latest version of this kernel, is pretty good at saving juice.About 2nd core being online, it is turned on if you scroll too fast but not when for example you read some thread and scroll down slowly.Also even in trickstermod, I barely got it to use 2 cores by just scrolling, despite trickstermod's real-time core monitoring being on (which also makes CPU use higher freqs or turn on more cores)

If you want good battery life, undervolt low power core (also undervolts GPU) and CPU.Then underclock to 1300 mhz.I've played around with abyssplug settings.Mourta did a very fine job finding the balance between battery life and performance, so I'd say CPU core management is as good as it can be.

Ahh I see. Thanks for the info. I'm already underclocked to 1300 with -75 undervolt on both mpu and lpu

Guest Mourta

First of all intelliplug is about a thousand times faster than cpuquiet and secondly, if there is not more than one thread running the second core won't do anything anyway.

It's not a good idea.

Guest slavkojos

hey mourta just one question: can you make use of franco or faux kernel from nexus 7 and maybe add to ours kernel. I am not an expert but I heard they are great kernels.

Anyway your kernel is also awesome! I am getting more battery life than ever and abbysplugv2 is really great on performance.

Guest Mourta

hey mourta just one question: can you make use of franco or faux kernel from nexus 7 and maybe add to ours kernel. I am not an expert but I heard they are great kernels.

Anyway your kernel is also awesome! I am getting more battery life than ever and abbysplugv2 is really great on performance.

Some things are the same (we're all using 3.1.10 kernels so naturally a lot of things will be the same in all of them) and some things are cherrypicked from both of those kernels. I don't cherrypick anything without knowing that it will make a worthwhile addition to our code. Other code bases i use are my own kernels and Nvidia's devs code. I always have a newer version released for testing in the private branch so the stable branch only changes when i do a release.

I'm glad you like my work. :)