Continuation of IODAK's excellent work. [kernel] updated 14-09-02

Guest Mourta

Guest Mourta

@Mourta I was not totally convinced about abyssplug being active, so I made a new experiment. In Beanstalk we have an option under developer settings (I don't remember if in other roms it exists), it's the one selected in the following screen; it allows me to have on the right corner of the screen a detailed view of what frequency each single core is using, and what governor is used by each core:

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-07-30-16-07-24.png

This screenshot has been taken after a full wipe (cache, dalvik, system) and a reinstallation of all my ROM, gapps and kernel. I made the process twice, to test what was the result on changing governor from the default (interactive) to abyssplug using trickster, at first, then the built in performance profile, then the kernel tweaker stand alone app. Well, I noticed this: when I tried to change the gov using trickster, abyssplug has been applied to ALL the cores, but the phone freezed and the screen turned immediately off (I had to hard reboot to wake up the device; and moreover, trickster applied the gov change to all cores even when the selected gov was power save, performance, ondemand, etc); when I changed the gov using performance settings or kernel tweaker app, abyssplug has been applyed only to core0 (as you can see on my screenshot), while the other cores stayed on interactive (the same with any other gov selection: performance, Wheatley, user space, etc) and there were no reboots.. So, only trickster seems to apply gov settings to all cores, while other apps or tools don't..but the problem is that when trickster applies changes, then phone freezes O.o

Of course every time I made the operation, I wiped data and cache of trickster, kernel tweaker, etc, wiped everything and reflashed the entire system using recovery, and finally I made each single try

Yes, this is because the implementation isn't ready for full time yet, i still have to update cpufreq and cpuquiet completely.

It will work if you choose userspace (this is the way it's meant to be) but it's not really ready for prime time yet.

BTW, the default governor is ondemand in my kernel but the init-x3.rc sets it to interactive. I'll probably have to add a script to remove that eventually because it causes problems in some cases.

I'll be off from tomorrow until monday but i think i might have something ready tonight or early morning tomorrow. We shall see. :)

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

Yes, this is because the implementation isn't ready for full time yet, i still have to update cpufreq and cpuquiet completely.

It will work if you choose userspace (this is the way it's meant to be) but it's not really ready for prime time yet.

BTW, the default governor is ondemand in my kernel but the init-x3.rc sets it to interactive. I'll probably have to add a script to remove that eventually because it causes problems in some cases.

I'll be off from tomorrow until monday but i think i might have something ready tonight or early morning tomorrow. We shall see. :)

If there is a need for it i can add a flashable zip with the proper boot.img for stock.

Great man, we believe in your efforts! ;) Thanks a lot, as always

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

You're very welcome, my friend. :)

Just to completely report my user experience (it's not necessary for you to reply, if you won't or you can't ;) ) :as you said before, abyssplug works on all 4 cores without freezes only with cpuquiet set to userspace (only if these two parameters have been set with trickster mod; but, as someone else noticed, in this case CPU freq obviously doesn't scale below 370 MHz and all four cores are contemporarily on) Let's cross our fingers for tonight's (or tomorrow's) release! :D

Guest Krislv

Thanks man, awesome work from you.

I'll try the new version of the first of August, the other was really good, even if with some slowdowns, due to bad ram management in my opinion.

Btw my configuration is an underclocked and undervolted version: max freq. 1150 Mhz otherwise it won't charge much if I use it meanwhile. -100 MPU, westwood and abyssplug with balanced.

I used kernel tweaker because I've got some problems with trickstermod with abyssplug.

Again, thank you very much for your work and efforts, it's really appreciated..!

Guest Mourta

Thanks man, awesome work from you.

I'll try the new version of the first of August, the other was really good, even if with some slowdowns, due to bad ram management in my opinion.

Btw my configuration is an underclocked and undervolted version: max freq. 1150 Mhz otherwise it won't charge much if I use it meanwhile. -100 MPU, westwood and abyssplug with balanced.

I used kernel tweaker because I've got some problems with trickstermod with abyssplug.

Again, thank you very much for your work and efforts, it's really appreciated..!

There is nothing wrong with "ram management" in this kernel. I don't even have init files with it to do ANYTHING with ram management so go complain to the ROM maintainer, unless that is me in which case you will have to present what you have found to be wrong and I’ll consider it but that should be done in my other thread.

Guest Krislv

Sorry I didn't explain myself, I meant bad rom management by the rom (I'm using the cm11 official one), nothing to do with your kernel.

Just sticking with cm official because of the frequent and general updates and "overall" good battery life, but it's quite slow and laggy.. But your kernel's making up with it so it's quite good, I just thought the rom has bad Ram management.

Guest Mourta

Sorry I didn't explain myself, I meant bad rom management by the rom (I'm using the cm11 official one), nothing to do with your kernel.

Just sticking with cm official because of the frequent and general updates and "overall" good battery life, but it's quite slow and laggy.. But your kernel's making up with it so it's quite good, I just thought the rom has bad Ram management.

Well, Demetris seems to think we are running a MSM chipset instead of a Tegra chipset so there will be problems.

Don't whine about it here, use my ROM or go tell Demetris that his ROM sucks and that he should try going for stability instead of adding useless crap to his code.

Also, what is the point of having frequent updates? I update when i've made a major change, tested it and found it to work properly or when the ROM is changed beyond fixes for devices we don't have.

Edited by Mourta

Guest Krislv

One of these days I'll try liquidsmooth, it's just that for the moment I cannot make a full data wipe, but i'll surely give it a try as everyone says it's smooth and reliable.

One thing I'm very afraid about is the network loss issue, I hope it won't be present in your rom, but as I said already in the other forum, it could be not rom related but it depends on the network operator.

Guest Krislv

I just updated the kernel and it's working better than before, very nice job man.

One question: what do you think about free ram? From unofficial to official there's quite a difference because I barely can multitask with official...

Edited by Krislv

Guest Mourta

I just updated the kernel and it's working better than before, very nice job man.

One question: what do you think about free ram? From unofficial to official there's quite a difference because I barely can multitask with official...

Unused RAM is useless RAM, free ram is an abomination to the coding, you should NEVER have free RAM and if you do it's because the ROM you are using sucks.

If not used for applications or chache, what good is it? Can you hang your clothes on it? Can you use it as a pillow? No? Well it sure as hell isn't going to do anything for your phone either.

What you need is proper ROM.

What is it you can't wipe, all the apps and all the user data will be automatically restored including all personal contacts, all messages if you've used hangouts, all application settings and pics/videos/downloads are not affected at all.

So what is it that you would lose? SMS's from the original app? well there is an app to back up them and restore them too.

If you decide to do it, it'll surprise you how you ever considered not doing it, it's like getting a brand new phone. The difference is HUGE.

Especially with my new version that i'll post tonight. Use ART with it and it will fly.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/zgpunw0yz3dx54v/Screenshot_2014-08-01-18-21-33.png

It's not just faster than anything else... it's WAY faster than anything else, it's built by Mourta.

Guest Nikos Pantelaios

Ok, so for a really clean install of your rom, (i am cominig from stock) i Should : download rom & kernel, wipe cache and dalvik, format all drives and partitions, install from SD: rom AND kernel, and then reboot. Then go to kernel tweaker, and set governor to abyssplug and cpu quiet to ballanced, and then go to advanced and change apps management ftom dalvic to ART. Then it will ask me to reboot. Then i will add my Google account and i ma ready to go?(asking cause last time i tried ot was stuck at 4 cores online and i couldn't do anything about it. I changed to weatley and at on demand, but they were still stuck after the reboot...) Also that quadrant score is really impresive. Good job!! And one last question. Can you add a link to your rom at the first topic? It will be easier to find it :-). Thank you for your time btw!!!

Edited by Nikos Pantelaios

Guest technofreak

I just installed latest kernel and everythng is smooth for now. Very good. I only notice that when i use abyssplug + userspace core 0,1,2, stays at 370Mhz and won't go below and core 3 is ofline, with balanced and runnable is ok. Overall seems like very good kernel, really improved. Thanks.

Btw i'm on official CM (for now)

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

I just installed latest kernel and everythng is smooth for now. Very good. I only notice that when i use abyssplug + userspace core 0,1,2, stays at 370Mhz and won't go below and core 3 is ofline, with balanced and runnable is ok. Overall seems like very good kernel, really improved. Thanks.

Btw i'm on official CM (for now)

Well, I think we can officially affirm that you still have to wait a bit of time, before you can see abyssplug perfectly working; look at post #102 on this thread.

But trust me, it's worth to wait, have a little patience and you'll see great things! In the meantime, enjoy this nice piece of work released yesterday! :D

Edited by Giuseppe Vallone

Guest Giuseppe Vallone

How come i cant change runtime from dalvik to Art? I set art, phone reboots and its still dalvik.

Wrong thread..post it in Mourta's LiquidSmooth thread, if you are talking about that ROM

Guest bentiger91

Hi,

thanks first for keeping up the work with the kernel, i use it since yesterday and its great!

Now my Problem: I am trying to activate OTG, but i have some problems in terminal editor...

I typed:
su
echo1
/sys/kernel/otg_mode/otg_enable

and pressed enter after every row...then i get the message: can't execute: Permission denied.
Where is my mistake here?

Edited by bentiger91

Guest ottomanhero

Hi,

thanks first for keeping up the work with the kernel, i use it since yesterday and its great!

Now my Problem: I am trying to activate OTG, but i have some problems in terminal editor...

I typed:

su

echo1

/sys/kernel/otg_mode/otg_enable

and pressed enter after every row...then i get the message: can't execute: Permission denied.

Where is my mistake here?

You don't have access to the file, otg_enable.

Try,

su

mount -o remount,rw /system

chmod 666 "/sys/kernel/otg_mode/otg_enable"

then proceed with the echo command.Or you can just open that file via any rooted explorers and change that 0 to 1.Much easier imo

Edited by ottomanhero