How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest laurence_s

Hi

I do not know if this info helps any if at all. but will add it as you never know.

Fastboot

Android-IA devices can be put into fastboot mode through two methods:

1. Issuing the `adb reboot bootloader' command to Android
  2. Selecting 'fastboot' from the bootloader menu at startup

You will know your device is in fastboot mode when you see a blue robot cartoon with the word "Droidboot" (Droidboot is the Android-IA userspace implementation of a fastboot server). Because Android-IA devices are not necessarily capable of operating as USB clients, Droidboot has been modified to operate over an attached Ethernet network. Use the following procedure to communicate with the device over Ethernet fastboot.

1. Attach a supported USB Ethernet adapter to the device. Adapters which use the asix Linux kernel driver are supported.
  2. Connect your host PC and the device to an ethernet switch. This will form a private network over which you communicate with the device. (If you have a cat5 crossover cable, that can also be used.)
  3. Configure your host PC's ethernet adapter to use IP address 192.168.42.3, netmask 255.255.255.0.
  4. Boot the device to fastboot mode using a method described above.
  5. Attempt to ping the device from your workstation: `ping 192.168.42.1' If the ping is not successful, your network is misconfigured and must be revisited.
  6. Find the fastboot binary built as part of your Android-IA build. It will usually be located at out/host/linux-x86/bin/fastboot. Do not attempt to use the fastboot binary from your Google Android SDK as it does not yet support the TCP transport.
  7. Run fastboot as you normally would, but pass "-t 192.168.42.1" arguments to instruct fastboot to connect to the remote host.

Well, you live and learn. I just purchased a usb/RJ45 network adapter and plugged it in. Mmm, nothing showing up in the settings screen. Mmm, the FDX/HDX (half/full duplex) lights not on on the switch. Oh dear. Called Tesco helpline only to be told the hudl2 will not support an ethernet adapter, everything over the wireless. Only takes input from the usb so I'm told (charging). So, to date no fastboot with usb, no fastboot over wired network. Rooting proving difficult. Question to all you technical folk. I'm tripping over linux computers here, I have no smart phones in sight, and no windows computers in sight.

Has anyone managed to get a hudl2 rooted by using any flavor of Linux? If so, I'd love to have some detailed instruction as to how you did it. I don't remember Tesco saying how hard it would be to root the hudl2 in the TV advert!

Thanks All. 

Guest bunglez

I've been having trouble with the Xposed framework not sticking in system and quite a lot of reboots and System SSID mismatches. I'll try getting rid of Xposed and see if it stabilises.

Guest jb2kred

does anyone have the stock non rooted image, ive wiped the boot partition by mistake and it comes up with a red triangle and boots into recovery, tried factory reset and wiping cache, still dosent work

Hi dan6796 did you fastboot flash boot by accident if you did i will try and make a backup of mine and post online later

Guest bunglez

I seem to have fixed the problems I had with the Xposed framework. I've enabled 'Allow all SU requests on boot' in SuperSU and it seems to be stable now.

Guest bunglez

My Hudl seems to have died. I've tried wiping cache and factory restore. I can either get to the 'Fastboot Starting...' screen which stays there, or I can get the 'Powered by Android' logo. Again stuck. I can also reach the recovery options, but no way to boot.

I can't seem to get windows to recognise the device now either. Probably due to the face I can't get past the initial screens. 

Any ideas?

Edited by bunglez

My Hudl seems to have died. I've tried wiping cache and factory restore. I can either get to the 'Fastboot Starting...' screen which stays there, or I can get the 'Powered by Android' logo. Again stuck. I can also reach the recovery options, but no way to boot.

I can't seem to get windows to recognise the device now either. Probably due to the face I can't get past the initial screens. 

Any ideas?

You can still flash from the fastboot starting screen, what was the last thing you did before it crashed? did you delete anything from /system or the other partitions?

Guest bunglez

You can still flash from the fastboot starting screen, what was the last thing you did before it crashed? did you delete anything from /system or the other partitions?

The last thing I did was install an xposed module: http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.pyler.xinstaller and restarted.

I can get to the fastboot screen, but it just stays there. Fastboot Starting...

415aae362788053.jpg e9d850362788056.jpg 

Edited by bunglez

This being my first Android device, decided to wait for a bit before rooting.  I have a device on 20141009.191216, is there a way to stop OTA updates so I'll be able to root in the future when I decide to take the plunge?  The only thing that seemingly is annoying is 4.4.2's inability to write to SD card!

I know with iOS it's practically impossible to brick a device but it seems different here on Android, will the Hudl2's recovery mode of power+volume down save me?  How bad does it have to get to get to a point where the basic end user, bricks the device outside of the actual rooting process itself?

What happens if the Hudl2 gets a newer firmware, is it a case of waiting (like the iOS jailbreak community) and not updating the firmware until it's able to be rooted?

From past experience with Tesco OTA updates, there's an element of integrity checks carried out before the upgrade is applied which can cause an upgrade boot-loop.

General rule of thumb from hudl1 is not to 'delete' pre-installed apps or 'modify' system files like 'system.apk' for example (which was required to remove the [T] button), in which case OTA's appeared to be fine, but you may have lost root after their installation.

On the hudl2, things are easier, as you may know to remove the Tesco stuff, just load/use a different launcher - as before once rooted avoid 'deleting' pre-installed apps / system files or applying system file modifications.

• hudl1 only received 3 OTA updates from my memory since it's release in September 2013. :(
  • hudl2 has recieved so far 2 OTA updates since it's release (1x update forced during installation and another smaller 9MB update in the last couple of weeks).

Other than Paul's method in the OP of this thread, there currently exists no other root method so far for the hudl2 - until another method exists (i.e. Kingo etc yeah, yeah, yeah - I know don't all start shouting this or that  :wacko:) you'll be reliant on Paul updating his root image for each new post OTA update system build (which is no real issue as Paul is generally on the case pretty quick  :D).

Final note, there also currently exists no working TWRP or CWM custom recovery system - so nandroid backups are currently not available as a recovery solution. :ninja:

From past experience with Tesco OTA updates, there's an element of integrity checks carried out before the upgrade is applied which can cause an upgrade boot-loop.

General rule of thumb from hudl1 is not to 'delete' pre-installed apps or 'modify' system files like 'system.apk' for example (which was required to remove the [T] button), in which case OTA's appeared to be fine, but you may have lost root after their installation.

On the hudl2, things are easier, as you may know to remove the Tesco stuff, just load/use a different launcher - as before once rooted avoid 'deleting' pre-installed apps / system files or applying system file modifications.

• hudl1 only received 3 OTA updates from my memory since it's release in September 2013. :(
  • hudl2 has recieved so far 2 OTA updates since it's release (1x update forced during installation and another smaller 9MB update in the last couple of weeks).

Other than Paul's method in the OP of this thread, there currently exists no other root method so far for the hudl2 - until another method exists (i.e. Kingo etc yeah, yeah, yeah - I know don't all start shouting this or that  :wacko:) you'll be reliant on Paul updating his root image for each new post OTA update system build (which is no real issue as Paul is generally on the case pretty quick  :D).

Final note, there also currently exists no working TWRP or CWM custom recovery system - so nandroid backups are currently not available as a recovery solution. :ninja:

Will I brick the system if I do a OTA update whilst rooted? Or does rooting block that, as is the case for iOS.  I've had to restore a few times due to messing things up by disabling the Tesco stuff so just using the Google Now launcher instead.

To try and answer your questions in reverse: -

1. Rooting (as such) doesn't block system OTA updates or it's related components from working - once rooted you can stop the OTA process from working any more by various methods.

2. Once rooted, OTA updates 'can have the potential' of 'boot-looping' your hudl2 - it's not really bricking it, more of like forcing you into an endless upgrade loop. This all depends as I said previously on what integrity checks Tesco deploy as part of any particular OTA update and what changes you have made to your system since rooted.

You 'should' be given the option on future received OTA update notifications on whether or not you wish to download and hence install them by the system itself - unless Tesco engineer a 'forced' OTA update, other than when you first configure your hudl2 this has so far not been deployed for either the hudl1 or hudl2 from memory.

Rule of thumb 'disable' instead of 'delete'.

Edited by Guest

To try and answer your questions in reverse: -

1. Rooting (as such) doesn't block system OTA updates or it's related components from working - once rooted you can stop the OTA process from working any more by various methods.

2. Once rooted, OTA updates 'can have the potential' of 'boot-looping' your hudl2 - it's not really bricking it, more of like forcing you into an endless upgrade loop. This all depends as I said previously on what integrity checks Tesco deploy as part of any particular OTA update and what changes you have made to your system since rooted.

You 'should' be given the option on future received OTA update notifications on whether or not you wish to download and hence install them by the system itself - unless Tesco engineer a 'forced' OTA update, other than when you first configure your hudl2 this has so far not been deployed for either the hudl1 or hudl2 from memory.

Rule of thumb 'disable' instead of 'delete'.

Is there a preferred method of disabling OTA updates on Android?  Is the Hudl2's power+volume up recovery mode a good enough safety net for when things go wrong?

I've seen the prompt for the OTA but can't remember if resetting the device in settings automatically downloads the OTA as when you first set it up, it says its "updating apps"  --not sure if that also updates to the latest software too?

Does/should the device be reset back to factory defaults before rooting?  Going from iOS, it was recommended to backup data to itunes, update to the current firmware, jailbreak and finally restore data backup.

hello TOTAL noob here when it comes to rooting / jailbreaking (yes i successfully screwed my iphone 3g years back before i switched to android)

had a read through the posts as iam interested in rooting my hudl 2 and getting all of tesco's bloat apps out my face but hit a brick wall when it came to the USB debug mode and ADB drivers 

post-1049724-0-78518100-1415824278_thumb

i have not received a message to authorise the connection and well the image will explain my 2nd issue

iam running Windows 7 and my build is showing as KOT49H.rel.android-build.20141009.191216 release-keys

any help to get me started would be great 

Disabling OTA updates and methods of doing that has already been discussed here before - a google search of the MoDaCo hudl2 forum should show them up (or even MoDaCo's own Search facility!).

For your second point/question give it a go and see what happens if you have not already rooted your hudl2. We all have learnt by learning from others and our own play/experiences.

IMHO due to the current rooting methods available for the hudl2, a reset to factory defaults would be counter intuitive and have the potential of immediately placing you in the OTA update issue that you are trying to avoid.

Until we have access to a nandroid backup solution (i.e. custom recovery TWRP/CWM) we are a bit vulnerable, although recovering from an OTA update boot-loop should be recoverable by flashing a new system image etc......

Edited by Guest

Guest bryanchapman9999

I'm using Linux to do the rooting.

adb devices show my devices

adb reboot bootloader works as expected

I then lose the ability to talk to the device. adb devices shows blank

Any ideas?

Guest gribley

Paul,

Thanks for the great package, took me an age to work out how to get the hudl 2 driver working (installing pdanet package) but worked fine after that :) (although it wasn`t clear when to reboot as the flash upload has no progress indication....  fortunately I was patient)

Can you confirm if OTA is already disabled with your current image?  if not could someone point me to a thread, found a few but they seem to be hudl 1

Update I did see this but after installing titanium backup (only thing 'titanium' I could find) I couldn't see a way to freeze a process/service?:

If you are on the rooted ROM and for now you want to disable the OTA nag while we work things out, you can freeze 'hudl updates 1.1' in Titanium.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by gribley

Guest Squelch

I just need to add my thanks for the great work so far.

Has enyone tryed using keyboard to see if we can get into bios

Apart from confirming that a keyboard does work in either of the two boot modes, I haven't found a key combo that provides a way of accessing the bios or UEFI

Ctrl-Alt-Del forces a reboot fwiw