hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest Kate on the Gate

I had a blue one that had the charging issues and I swapped it for a purple one (cos a friend had that and had no probs) and although I know it's not really colour batch related, the purple one had no probs whatsoever...... until the update..... and now it's knackered. I'm sinking into despair and don't want to mess with it at all... I certainly can't face a factory reset, not after I've moved stuff to the sd card and all that. Even just powering off has it's problems, when you switch back on, half the little icons that I moved to the Home page disappear and I have to move them again.

I was miles better off WITHOUT the update. Was so looking forward to it as well.

Leaving it for a few days now.... I can't face it. 

Guest seanspotatobusiness

I had a blue one that had the charging issues and I swapped it for a purple one (cos a friend had that and had no probs) and although I know it's not really colour batch related, the purple one had no probs whatsoever...... until the update..... and now it's knackered. I'm sinking into despair and don't want to mess with it at all... I certainly can't face a factory reset, not after I've moved stuff to the sd card and all that. Even just powering off has it's problems, when you switch back on, half the little icons that I moved to the Home page disappear and I have to move them again.

I was miles better off WITHOUT the update. Was so looking forward to it as well.

Regarding the icons moving about, try installing an alternative launcher such as Go Launcher or Nova. Tesco launcher isn't very good and moves people's icons around.

Guest Jabbitt

I gave mine one more chance. Performed a factory reset. When I first plugged in the charger it was fine. The second night it was back to its old tricks, plugged in, red light appears but percentage never increases.

I turned it off and left it to charge. Eight hours later and the charging animation is still going so I switch it on. Once it boots it reports that the Hudl is at 99% and ten minutes later its reaches 100%. Or I can pull the USB lead out and the percantage jumps to 100%.

I've had enough, now just waiting till 9 so I can get a return code from support.

Guest Kate on the Gate

seanspotatobusiness I would love to do that but how do you go about it? I am a proper technophobe. the instructions I need are on the lines of "Take nail in left hand, take hammer in right hand ...... 

Thank you in advance.

Would you have any idea why pre-update I could plug in the charger whilst using the tablet and now apres-update the red charging light comes on but the charging percentage doesn't increase?

Thanks for that as well in advance.

Guest Swan Age

The mystery of the disappearing icons is a problem with the My Tesco launcher. Google now launcher keeps them in place after a reboot. It seems that the problem arises with the apps that are moved to the SD card. When I moved them back onto the tablet and restarted the Hudl2 they were still there in the My Tesco launcher!

Guest Clever Trevor

Since the "update", my Hudl 2 has charged perfectly on all occasions and the clock's not gone wrong.

It's crashed and turned itself off and back on a few times, I lost all my page icons once too.

Might need a few tweeks to get it absolutely right, but all in all, I'm now very pleased with it's performance of late.

Guest cheese_aholic

My 2 are going back Monday; will exchange them once more and then I'm done! Cant be doing this for the rest of eternity and its pissing the kids off that they lose progress on all their games...

Will try 2 purple ones (just because) although I'm sure that has nothing to do with it...

Guest stevoknevo

My Wife bought me a Hudl 2 on Friday as she had vouchers to use up, I didn't buy one previously due to the inability to mod. It completed the update during setup and I left it on charge for a few hours, noticed it had stuck at 87% but thought nothing of it... 

Went to bed last night and it had about half charge, checked it at 11am today, totally dead! Gsam reported Kernel as being the drain issue. Left it switched off and it charged fully. I'll keep an eye on it and if it's playing up they can have it back. 

Edited by stevoknevo

Guest I am eusty

Got my third Hudl2 (black) on Saturday. It's charged twice normally. I've just awoke to find that after a 9 hour charge it's on 99%. I give up!

Huh? You are worried its not 100%??"

When it's charged it won't keep it at 100% all the time, there is some hysteresis, so it doesn't charge all the time. It probably won't kick in to charge again until it's fallen to 99/98% (at a guess).

Don't get fixated on numbers, if it charged then it's fine!

Guest r00tmydevices

Haven't read through the whole of this thread but I plan to! My H2 seems to charge okay but boy oh boy does it drain really FAST when being used with charger or charging cable unplugged. Yesterday it went from 100% down to 83% in what seemed like only 10 minutes (didn't have a stopwatch running unfortunately). Wasn't long before it was down to around 60%. No chance I'm getting 4 to 4.5 hours out of a full charge. Having owned an iPad 3 since launch, this has been one of the biggest differences I've noticed using the H2 compared to an iPad. Battery plus screen sensitivity just don't compare for me but for the price I can't say I expected them to.

Guest Jabbitt

Huh? You are worried its not 100%??"

When it's charged it won't keep it at 100% all the time, there is some hysteresis, so it doesn't charge all the time. It probably won't kick in to charge again until it's fallen to 99/98% (at a guess).

Don't get fixated on numbers, if it charged then it's fine!

I'm not saying your wrong, maybe it's a unique Hudl2 feature. My original Nexus 7 and other android devices all charge to 100% and stay there.

The simple battery graph app reports a smooth climb up to 99% and then it flat lines. The charge never reached 100%

I'm not getting a fourth. I'm just going to live with this as I did with my second Hudl2 for two months.

Maybe Paul will report back to the Hudl team and they will investigate again.

Guest r00tmydevices

Which free apps would anyone recommend for monitoring H2 battery in more detail than the % indicator at top of screen? Would like to know if mine is faulty or they are all generally this rubbish!

Thanks.

Guest test_pilot28

Ive had my hudl2 a coule of months and have applied the latest update. I havd just experienced a charging problem forethe first time.

Charge got down to 11% and connect your charger waring came on.

I connected my standard supplied charger and the charged rate didnt move . I rebooted the hudle2 and all is well.

I called Tesco technical and they said they haven't had any charging issues!!

He asked if I had applied the update which I have. He made a note of my comments.

shall I push for a replacement?

Another minor issue is I find the screen a little over sensitive when scrolling

Guest mark359

I have been having charging issues as well. I thought all was fixed after the update but it appears not. Last night my charging % was stuck until I rebooted

I have a call with a Tesco engineer tomorrow, so we shall see how that goes.

Guest test_pilot28

I called Tesco and they DENIED there is a charging issue!

I told her it was all over the Internet!

She told me its the charger thats faulty so is sending me another one. She also says never charge any device overnight as it can cause damage. What nonsense. Everyone charges their phones overnight dont they? The update has not cured this problem. The question is do you put up with rebooting each time you charge or get an exhange unit (which most likely will be faulty too)

Guest cheese_aholic

I have had 2 purple ones now for a couple of days and so far they seem to charge OK.

As an aside, the Tech Support in my local Tesco (Serpentine Green Peterborough) was woeful! The chap I spoke to said the HUDL devices are not designed to be charged while turned on! According to him, he's never seen a HUDL 1 or 2 that would charge when turned on; the power consumption is too high apparently...

Then again, I also overheard him telling a lady that she would not be able to receive any emails on her HUDL that were sent from her husbands iPhone, as they use different operating systems and they're not compatible!!

Oh dear...

:wacko:

Edited by cheese_aholic

Guest glossywhite

I have had 2 purple ones now for a couple of days and so far they seem to charge OK.

As an aside, the Tech Support in my local Tesco (Serpentine Green Peterborough) was woeful! The chap I spoke to said the HUDL devices are not designed to be charged while turned on! According to him, he's never seen a HUDL 1 or 2 that would charge when turned on; the power consumption is too high apparently...

Then again, I also overheard him telling a lady that she would not be able to receive any emails on her HUDL that were sent from her husbands iPhone, as they use different operating systems and they're not compatible!!

Oh dear...

:wacko:

Tesco "value" support, that's called. ;)

Guest Clever Trevor

I'm so sorry about saying my Hudl's OK now. It keeps getting the time and date wrong. The update seems to have sorted out the charging problem but not the time and date problem.

Hope Tesco's get more than their onions right real soon. Lol...

If Tesco are unable to resolve this charging issue. Does anyone here think this makes it a bit of a show stopper? I can't see they could continue selling it.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

And to add to my Hudl problems. If I turn it off and back on, I lose page icons. What's that all about???

It's the Tesco Launcher. Install a different launcher. I recommend Go Launcher but Nova is also popular  and there are others.

Guest Kate on the Gate

Once I'd installed the update my purple one ( replaced my blue one because of the charging problem ) wouldn't charge unless powered down first. It also lost icons at this point like Clever Trevor's had. as I experimented with a couple of things a little pattern was emerging.

After the update, the icons that were missing (from the front page I had put them on, not from the whole list of them, they hadn't un-installed or anything) were the ones I'd put on the 32 bit card I had put in. Also, only twice, a triangle warning sign appeared at the top saying I had removed the card without "unmounting" it first. 

Well I had never removed the card but putting this with the missing icons that were only on the card, I am now suspecting the card port.

I contacted Tesco support who agreed another exchange and gave me a code to give in at  the shop (even though I didn't have a code for the first exchange because the Hudl 2 was sop bought. I take it automatic exchanges aren't happening anymore.)

So whilst I'm preparing the Hudl 2 for return, the first thing I do is move all the apps back to the tablet, unmount the card and remove and hey presto...... the Hudl 2 will now charge. It was as if once the card port came into play, the charging port was out of play.

I exchanged the hudl 2 for another and came home thinking that initial set up will be easier because the update will happen automatically..... not so.

It went through all the normal set up procedure that the other two had but before it actually turned on it said "a new update" was available. I clicked all the buttons to install it.

It sailed past the "authorising" bit and some other one that I can not just recall and at the very last second "failed".

I went through the whole procedure again and again "failed". I decided..... Third Hudl 2, third time lucky, I'll try one more set up and update.

It finally worked. Tested all the normal issues pre-update, charging whilst working and all that. Then tried inserting a card.

To be absolutely sure, I installed a diff card to the one I'd used before, (I used a 32 bit before and tried a 16 bit this time), I also cut a tiny oblong from the laminate that the card came in and slid it down between the actual Hudl 2 and the holder that it is in, thus covering the card port. I did because I wondered if I had been getting " card has been removed without being unmounted" warning because the very edge of the card was touching the holder and been moved a tiny bit in use. It would have had to be tiny vibration when handling the tablet because it does not come out of it's holder at all.

IT IS NOW CURED!

I don't know if the

the port was faulty or

the card was faulty or

it doesn't like 32 bit cards or

it really was touching the side of the holder.

Whichever it is now charging when working.

When I am in the mood, I will try powering down and up again but I have a feeling that it will still lose the card icons each time because I think seanspotatobusiness is right and that this is related to the Tesco launcher,we'll see, I'm deff not in the mood yet.

I might also try going back to the 32 bit card but withe little piece of laminate slid in place but that will be a long time off.

If anyone has successfully used a 32 bit sd card please post.