hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest seanspotatobusiness

It can't be coincidence as when I swap back to the stock Tesco cable the charging and battery issues return, it may well be a software issue to a degree, but the smaller (better fitting) connector certainly overcomes the issue on my device.

Perhaps one of the wires inside your cable has broken and so it only connects when held in the appropriate positions. I don't see how a long connector plug could impede the connection. I thought they were just to enable use by people with cases on their phones/tablets that prevent a shorter plug from making a good connection.

Guest r00tmydevices

The microUSB plug fittings on both the stock Tesco charging/data cable plus a PortaPow fast charge only cable seem very loose when plugged into my h2. Also the latter doesn't push all the way into the slot, there's maybe 2mm of metal visible. No idea if that has anything to do with the poor battery performance I've had on mine more or else since it was new? One thing I haven't experienced is the battery percentage indicator getting stuck on 99% or 100% like a few other members. But the percentage level drops at an alarming rate whilst the screen is on, whether any apps are running or not. Also I'm not getting anything like 7 to 10 hours use out of one charge like others.

Guest Clever Trevor

The problem with the latter comments in this thread is; obviously, most of you have not read this from the beginning. If you had, you'd realise all the changing of chargers and leads, all the loose fitting USB connectors and wobbly socket have been dismissed because the Hudl 2 charging problem is 100% software related. As some have said, if the red light is on, it should be charging. I personally have had three replacement Hudl 2's, none of which charged properly until the latest software update. Now it charges without any problem, nothing else changed, only had an update, same charger, same lead, same socket on the wall.

However, I now have a lagging launcher, sometimes none of the icons on any of my desktop pages appear for anything up to a minute. Small price to pay considering it charges OK now eh?

Battery life is quite disappointing though.

Guest arnookie

Have to agree we know its software related and not down to cables and chargers.

Although a good 2 amp charger and cable is needed. Some work some don't!

Same as longer cables also cause problems.

Guest tolsen

It only seems to take an AC charge from its own Hudl2 charger. Using a Hudl1 charger which is higher rated only results in slow USB charge.

Guest tolsen

Have just checked the Hudl charger USB sockets with a multimeter. Found the data pins are shorted on my Hudl2 charger and open circuit on Hudl1. Need to find a way to open out the Hudl1 charger so I can bridge the two data pins.

Guest Jabbitt

It only seems to take an AC charge from its own Hudl2 charger. Using a Hudl1 charger which is higher rated only results in slow USB charge.

I have a multi USB charger and I get the same results. Using a 2.1amp port the H2 reports a USB connection. Using a 1 amp port and the H2 charges as AC power.

Guest r00tmydevices

I have a multi USB charger and I get the same results. Using a 2.1amp port the H2 reports a USB connection. Using a 1 amp port and the H2 charges as AC power.

That's an interesting discovery as I've mainly been using an Anker multi-USB mains charger plus either stock Tesco cable or PortaPow cable. Gone back to the stock Tesco charger and cable since.

Any suggestions for an alternative charger that may overcome these issues?

Guest r00tmydevices

Yes a note 3 or note 4 official charger and cable charge the hudl 2 fine. :0)

Off the top of your head, cheapest place to purchase an official one i.e. don't fancy risking getting a fake off eBay despite it being described as genuine!

Thanks.

I haven't found this - both chargers in my case work exactly the same.

Guest cheese_aholic

All chargers and leads I have tried with both of my H2 devices result in the same problem; the H2 will not always charge while turned on. Sometimes after a reset it will charge normally for a day or 2, but eventually both devices will end up with me having no option but to turn them off to charge. It is not related to the leads or the chargers; it has to be a software problem. The fact that not every H2 exhibits this behaviour (and correct me if I'm wrong but they're all shipped with identical leads and chargers) confuses the issue for sure, but whatever the cause it's bloody annoying...!!!

Someone at Tesco / Pegatron / wherever - PLEASE fix this...

Guest crusader58

The problem with the latter comments in this thread is; obviously, most of you have not read this from the beginning. If you had, you'd realise all the changing of chargers and leads, all the loose fitting USB connectors and wobbly socket have been dismissed because the Hudl 2 charging problem is 100% software related. As some have said, if the red light is on, it should be charging. I personally have had three replacement Hudl 2's, none of which charged properly until the latest software update. Now it charges without any problem, nothing else changed, only had an update, same charger, same lead, same socket on the wall.

However, I now have a lagging launcher, sometimes none of the icons on any of my desktop pages appear for anything up to a minute. Small price to pay considering it charges OK now eh?

Battery life is quite disappointing though.

If it were a 100% software issue how do you account for my changing to a Samsung lead (with better fitting connector) eliminating all my battery/charging issues? and these issues I was having after installing the latest update (Jan 5th rollout). It has been weeks now since I changed to Samsung lead and I've had no further issues with charging or battery life/glitches.

On another note if anyone has installed the latest Google Services Update (build 6.5) this causes battery drain issues as the service is continually polling and broadcasting, if you uninstall the update you may find your battery life problems resolved. Be advised that YouTube will also need to be rolled back (uninstall update) as it will otherwise nag you to install the 6.5 Google service.

Guest samac

I'm using DU Battery Charger and I noticed that when it wasn't charging correctly the app thought it was connected to the usb port. I pulled out the charger plug and reinserted it and the app then realised that it was on AC charge and it began to work properly again.

samac

• 2 weeks later...
Guest r00tmydevices

Still haven't got to the bottom of the issues I'm having with my battery. Downloaded a Battery Calibration app to delete the battery data .bin files (I think that's what they're called?) stored in the internal memory. Ran battery down to 2%, switched off device and it's now plugged into the mains using stock Tesco charger. This will be the second of three full to flat cycles back-to-back that I shall be performing as per a recommendation from another member.

Guest Jabbitt

Downloaded a Battery Calibration app to delete the battery data .bin files (I think that's what they're called?) stored in the internal memory.

Taken from "Google Engineer Debunks Myth: Wiping Battery Stats Does Not Improve Battery Life"

Because those battery stats, stored in the batterystats.bin file, are only used to maintain information about what is using the battery when not recharging. That is, it essentially holds the information displayed in the Settings > Battery screen. Nothing more, nothing less. Thus: 

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.

It has no impact on your battery life.

Guest Keeping Up

After a few weeks of running with the original charging problem having returned, there is a new variation where it no longer registers any discharge. The monitor continues to show 100% as the battery runs down. Eventually of course the battery goes flat. With it switched off it recharges OK, correctly showing the correct approximate state of charge on the large battery charging icon that you get by briefly touching the ON button, and the correct state of charge is then displayed if the Hudl is switched on again but it never changes from that value as it runs down.

Does anyone know a way of kick starting it back into action without having to do another Factory Reset?

Edited to add; it's just started working again, all by itself. I wonder if it was coincidence that it happened the same day that the clocks went forward, given how the not-charging bug and the wrong-time bug seem to go hand in hand?

Edited by Keeping Up

Guest tolsen

My warranty repaired Hudl2 has now redeveloped the infamous charging problem. I phoned Tesco support and was advised to do a factory reset. Not particularly happy with that since I will loose apps and data. On a happy note, the support person said they will authorise a replacement if resetting does not cure the problem.

Guest pudpoh

Doing a factory reset won't fix your charging issue. It is 100% caused by a software issue with the Hudl2. Just reboot it and it will go away for a while.

Guest r00tmydevices

Doing a factory reset won't fix your charging issue. It is 100% caused by a software issue with the Hudl2. Just reboot it and it will go away for a while.

Hasn't helped in any way on my hudl 2. I take it switching it off acts the same way as a reboot does? :(

Guest crusader58

Hasn't helped in any way on my hudl 2. I take it switching it off acts the same way as a reboot does? :(

I found that on the rare occasion that my hudl2 won't charge if I remove the cable (at the hudl2 end) reboot and wait 2-3 minutes then plug it back in it then starts charging again.

Guest pudpoh

You have to tell it to power off to restart it as it doesn't have the option for restart. Doing this will ensure it charges every time.