hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

You have to tell it to power off to restart it as it doesn't have the option for restart. Doing this will ensure it charges every time.

It does if you're using certain Xposed modules.

Restart, Reboot, Software Reboot, Boot to Bootloader etc

Edited by 4L0M

Guest r00tmydevices

It does if you're using certain Xposed modules.

Restart, Reboot, Software Reboot, Boot to Bootloader etc

Is there an actual difference between the first three options, functionality wise?

Thanks.

Yes. Restart/Reboot will completely restart the device from scratch turning off and then back on the hardware itself.

Software Reboot just reboots the operating system, so if you have the battery/charging bug and it's actually a hardware related problem, a software reboot probably won't fix the problem as the hardware doesn't get switched off during the reboot.

A software reboot is generally faster, though to be honest, I don't really notice any time difference between a full reboot and a software reboot on the Hudl2.

I have never suffered from the charging bug so can't comment on this aspect.

Guest cheese_aholic

I have given up on this issue now. I have accepted that the units will just have to be turned off to charge them; my kids are pretty good and remember to do so when they've finished.

To be honest neither of them will last for more than a couple of hours intensive 'playing' anyways, so often run out of power while the kids are using them...!

I wouldn't recommend the HUDL2 to anyone really; I know you get what you pay for (I just wish I'd paid a bit more for something else!)

Problem is, as I've said before, nothing else out there offers the same sort of child restrictions, which surprises me somewhat....

Edited by cheese_aholic

Guest pudpoh

That isn't right, it should last way longer than a couple of hours, I get a lot more than that out of mine even with intensive use. Is the screen set to full brightness? If it is set it to automatic.

Guest cheese_aholic

That isn't right, it should last way longer than a couple of hours, I get a lot more than that out of mine even with intensive use. Is the screen set to full brightness? If it is set it to automatic.

Tell me about it!

I'm on my 3rd 'set' of HUDL2 now (both kids have one) and all have gotten about the same sort of battery life.

Screen brightness is set to Auto.

The kids pretty much just play games on it (Minecraft / Minion Rush / etc) and watch the odd movie or TV show via iPlayer.

2 hours is about the time they get; sometimes a bit more...

Guest Flipper_Al

I normally turn my Hudl2 off at night, so it charges, but last night i put it into airplane mode instead and it started charging, anyone else tried it.....? 

Edited by Flipper_Al

Guest Jabbitt

I normally turn my Hudl2 off at night, so it charges, but last night i put it into airplane mode instead and it started charging, anyone else tried it.....?

I'm in the same boat I turn it off every night for a charge but I'm going to try airplane mode and see if it makes a difference.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jabbitt

Well I've just had the 113mb update. I hope it fixes the charging issue, I'll try tonight. I'm not happy though as we now have Spotify and Kobo books as new system apps that can't be uninstalled! Thanks for more bloatware tesco!

Guest r00tmydevices

Rooted a new h2 for a family member, purchased within the last fortnight, a few days ago and unlike mine the microUSB charging cable is a snug fit. Mine is quite loose. I purchased a ProPorta charging cable and that doesn't fit much better. Also today borrowed a Samsung smartphone charger and that too is quite loose.

Ran the battery on my tablet right down until it switched itself off, plugged in the Samsung charger. As has been the case since day one, the red charging light changed to green not long after it was plugged into charge. Did check Simple Battery Graph app prior to the battery dying and it stated that approximately 50% of the battery depleted within one hour whilst in standby, and that's with wifi set to switch itself off! Shocking.

The new h2 had no such problems. The battery only dropped around 15% after a couple of hours of constant use. Either Tesco has modified newer units in some way or I've got a dud?!

Edited by r00tmydevices

You really need to take yours back for replacement / repair. Really even if they insist on sending it for repair you'll end up with either a new battery or new hudl2.

Guest r00tmydevices

You really need to take yours back for replacement / repair. Really even if they insist on sending it for repair you'll end up with either a new battery or new hudl2.

Agree with you. The battery issue I've had since day one on my h2 has been probably the most frustrating experience with any technology I can recall in recent memory.

I've installed a bunch of apps plus root which I didn't want to lose.

Is there a way to backup everything including settings etc then once I've got a replacement, install the backup image so that I'm more or less up and running like before minus the battery issue?

I've heard mention of Titanium Backup which I don't mind purchasing if that is the best/easiest method to do a full backup of this or indeed future Android devices.

Thanks.

Titanium Backup in my view is the way to go. Just copy/write the backup to an SDcard and keep safe for your repaired/replacement unit - you can guarantee even if "repaired" your hudl2 will be blanked and flashed to stock.

Guest Kate on the Gate

Well I've finally bitten the bullet. The last straw was when it started telling me I didn't have enough room for it to update any games. These are not games in the sense a "gamer" would use the word. No Minecraft or Call of Duty here! I've got Facebook, my bank, my e-mail, kindle, a couple of sky apps, one film, Nova Launcher and about 5 or 6 little games that are linked to Facebook. Half the games can be moved to the SD card but half can't, the film won't move nor will the screenshots I've taken (which are recipes) and now the SD is showing loads of space I can't use and the Hudl is showing the storage bar as full!!!

So the bullet I've bitten,

I've been to Argos and bought the Nexus 7 2nd edition 32gb for £149.95.

I've got more stuff on than I had on the Hudl and it's not even a quarter full.

Obviously the screen is slightly smaller but I can live with that, especially as when I checked the Nexus 9 it looked too big for what I wanted (I do a lot of reading on it) and it was way too expensive @ £300+.

Happy as Larry now and running on lollipop 5.1.

The Hudl is in a drawer and my Grandson uses it once a fortnight!

I feel I've been banging my head on a wall (keep persevering with the Hudl) but the good thing about banging your head on a wall is ........... it's so nice when you stop!

Edited by Kate on the Gate

Guest crusader58

The Bar misreports the used space, but the true available space is shown in text just below the bar. If that 1 movie is in HD it can take anything between 4 and 9 gigabytes of storage.

I must have the only working hudl2 on the planet, as I've not encountered all the issues that others have had, although I am rooted and have optimized the the System etc.

Guest Kate on the Gate

The Bar misreports the used space, but the true available space is shown in text just below the bar. If that 1 movie is in HD it can take anything between 4 and 9 gigabytes of storage.

I must have the only working hudl2 on the planet, as I've not encountered all the issues that others have had, although I am rooted and have optimized the the System etc.

I wish I had your skill and knowledge to make the alterations that you have done.

I still think that in theory the Hudl 2 is a great idea. Sadly though, I don't have the patience to wait for everything to be corrected.

Equipment I pay for has to do the job it's supposed to do and the Nexus does that.

I'm glad yours is fine though..... enjoy.

Guest Thomas49

Still getting the charge problem here although it is intermittent - got to say that the Hudl2 is a disappointment with all the problems associated with it i.e.

Icons or widgets deleting/resetting - resolved by using different launcher

WiFi issues - switch off and switch on again

Charging issues - switch off and switch on again

Random crashes - switch off and switch on again

Time changes - switch off and switch on again

Yes they are all resolvable but it should just work without this faff and constant switching off and on again! When people see my Hudl2 and ask what's it like and should they buy it I have to say no due the bugs leaving it unreliable - good concept but poorly executed.

I will put it down to a £130 lesson learnt, I would happily pay for something twice the price that worked!

Guest test_pilot28

I called Tesco last week and reported that my replacement hudl2 was still having charging problems and asked what Tesco were doing to rectify this known issue?

The guy who said he was a manager said he had not had ANY such issues reported!

I said the internet was awash with people complaining and told him to look at this site. Unbelievable!

Anyway he arranged for a courier to collect it and s week later I got it back and today installed another update.

I left the Hudl switched on and plugged in the official charger. I opened up the battery graph and it showed It was charging as a USB. However, when I plugged it into my mobile phone charger it rapidly charged it up recognising it as an AC charge!

I called Tesco today and the guy said he was aware of the charging issue but it only affects 2% of Hudl2'

I've read on here that when using a mobile phone charger it only charges at a USB level. I have found today tjat the reverse is true. Any comments?

Guest cheese_aholic

I must be one of the damn unlucky 2% then, as I've had 6 (yes six) of these things and they've all had the same problem!

Doesn't matter what charger or cable or plug or socket I use, or what underwear I put on, they refuse to charge unless I switch them off...

I've given up now; I've just taught the kids to turn them off when they've finished (assuming the battery lasts more than 2 hours that is)

Honestly; I can't think of many positives to HUDL2 ownership at the moment...!

Guest test_pilot28

My second Hudl2 was still not charging unless powered down. The recent update hasn't resolved this.

Tesco suggested sending it back for a repair. I did so. They hadn't formatted it and all was intact. Maybe they changed the charging socket?

When I tried it the device would charge when powered up but only as a USB charging rate. I tried a mobile phone charger and it then showed charging was at AC or mains rate.

I called Tesco and they sent me a new charger. All is now charging perfectly.

The old charger is a bulky ruberised finish. The new, working one is sleeker and has a recess on the front face. It looks like I've had two hardware issues

• 1 month later...
Guest Shogun99

I had all the same problems, would not charge, then would etc...  Tesco took it back for a week, came back no change.  I called them, explained, it is now actually worse in that the charge would not reach 100%, only 96%, he said it was an old problem that should be fixed with a software update.  I said i have spent months with this problem, and now I give up, they accepted and gave me a returns number.

I took back to local Tesco and got £129 back and I bought a different tablet.  Was gonna buy a Linx, but ended up getting a Lenovo Miix...  Couldn't be happier!!  Superb tablet with keyboard..!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jabbitt

I thought I'd mention this for those that don't follow other threads on this forum. The latest June update as I'm sure you may have realised by now seems to have fixed the charging bugs. Mine Hudl2 now charges as normal when powered on.

Guest r00tmydevices

Amazing isn't it the amount of times frustrated customers contacted Tesco's hudl 2 technical support line and were fobbed off being told that they are not aware of any battery/charging issues. Fast forward six months or so and guess what? They've released a software update that addresses the problem!

Wonder how many exchanges/refunds they could have saved themselves had the tech dept worked a bit quicker in getting this update released?

Better late than never I guess but sad that at least a few members heregave up on owning a hudl 2 due to all the problems and are unlikely to return now that the problem has been fixed.