hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest Kate on the Gate

Well, my blue one is sitting back with Tesco and I took the full refund. I then purchased a purple one (like my friend has) so I now have 28 days on that one and guess what??? No battery drain and so far, no charging problem. Course anything could happen yet, it's early days but I'm quietly confident.

Guest Pipedreambomb

Weird, mine is deep blue too. I think I originally wanted the orange one but they were out of stock... That better not be the reason!

Seriously though, it's logically got to be a coincidence, right? They must just coat the outside with a different pigmentation. The insides would be the same. Unless they were made in separate batches and the blue one went wrong.

Easy way to disprove the hypothesis: anyone having the charging issue whose Hudl is not blue, please reply!

Edited by Pipedreambomb

Guest cheese_aholic

I have a Pink and Blue one (at least, my kids do!) both of which I have just exchanged for the charging problem in this thread.

So far the replacements seem OK, however I've only had them a couple of days so not holding my breath.

They certainly seem to run down quickly (or is it just me?) - I reckon my kids get about 2-3 hours out of a full charge...

We bought ours (a black one, East Midlands) at the start of November. It has had this charging problem a few times now. It will usually say that it's 50-odd percent charged, then dies suddenly, and wants a hard reset before it starts charging properly again. Then it's all right again for a week or two. Also, when this happens, it corrupts the certificate for the wifi (802.11x) and that has to be reinstalled. I thought the reason the clock is way out afterwards is because it doesn't have an internal clock, and it cannot connect to a time server?

I couldn't find an email address or contact page for Tesco support queries, just seemed to be phone numbers. Does anyone have an address or link for them? (I was going to quietly wait for the update, but that keeps being pushed back and I don't like the way they say this affects "limited" numbers of customers.)

Edited by becuma

Guest christhedj

Makes perfect sense - if they were all the same colour, or coming from the same area, it suggests a faulty manufactured batch. However, I think we've established its not the case.

Guest glossywhite

Makes perfect sense - if they were all the same colour, or coming from the same area, it suggests a faulty manufactured batch. However, I think we've established its not the case.

I have been working on electronics production lines since 1993 - the PCBs are populated and soldered (wave/IR reflow) in a completely different line, dept or factory to where the devices are assembled into a final product and soak tested as finished products. Once boards are populated and soldered, they sit in stacks on racks or in bins, and are transported to the line which assembled the constituent parts of the product into the finished item. The colour of the casing has absolutely ZERO relationship to the boards - a hudl is a hudl, and why would a COLOUR of plastic bear any relation to hardware or software? 

However, it is possible that certain colours were manufactured in different Pegatron (the maker) factories, but then - considering that the original hudl 1 didn't even reach unit sale of one million, I very much doubt the manufacturing throughput is high enough to warrant manufacturing being spread over a number of sites. Tesco's orders are a miniscule, insignificat DROP in the ocean of China's manufactured volume of electronic products.

Because a tiny amount of people on a rather unknown forum, happen to have formed an idea that there IS a correlation, doesn't make it necessarily logical, especially when it's statistically rather unlikely that all these people have years of experience in mass manufacturing of electronics. Yes, the colour MAY be the cause, but the probability is VERY low.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Pipedreambomb

Well fine, if you've got so much experience with manufacturing, of course we'd sound illogical. I'm sure Gary Kasparov wouldn't be able to grasp the logic behind a 5 year old's chess moves either. Doesn't mean the child was wrong for attempting to play chess.

We're all still clutching at straws, looking for something we can do other than waiting for Tesco to get off their arses and fix it.

Anyway, it was indeed not true as well as highly unlikely, so let's move on. I have a new theory that my Hudl is haunted. Any one else experienced ghost-like symptoms?

Guest Kate on the Gate

I don't think the colour is "causing" the fault, but that it might have been batch related, maybe to colour production lines. The main prompt for this particular straw to grasp at was Tesco Tech Support's first question was "What colour have you got?". It is probably pure coincidence that the purple one I have replaced the blue one with is holding it's charge a million times better. This is a different issue to the not charging at all problem.

Plus, Tesco also said the probs they initially had with Hudl 1 had been with a batch of black ones. no other colour was affected, so, in a way, Tesco brought up the colour straw.

Guest mayburyds

My response from Tesco -

Dear David

Thank you for your recent mail and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing some difficulties with your hudl2.

The issue that you are experiencing is something that has been reported by a small number of users to ourselves, but we have managed to replicate the problem. Having done this we have developed a resolution for this issue and will be releasing the fix for this issue, as well as some other minor issues, in an update to the hudl2 software very soon.

When the update is available which will be released to customers' devices this month. 

There will be a notification in the top left hand corner of the screen, from which you will be able to swipe down and then tap on the update notice.

You will then simply need to follow the on screen instructions and the update will be completed by rebooting the hudl.

If you have any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards 

Marc Routliff
Tesco Tech Support

Guest Pipedreambomb

My response would be a more polite version of:

Dear Marc,

Didn't Tesco say the same thing in November? To save you the trouble of looking it up, yes, they did. They did say small number of users had the issue and Tesco would fix it in the next month. And it was in November.

Any chance you mean it this time, or should I just get my refund now?

Yours etc,

Pipedreambomb

Guest glossywhite

My response from Tesco -

Dear David

Thank you for your recent mail and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing some difficulties with your hudl2.

The issue that you are experiencing is something that has been reported by a small number of users to ourselves, but we have managed to replicate the problem. Having done this we have developed a resolution for this issue and will be releasing the fix for this issue, as well as some other minor issues, in an update to the hudl2 software very soon.

When the update is available which will be released to customers' devices this month. 

There will be a notification in the top left hand corner of the screen, from which you will be able to swipe down and then tap on the update notice.

You will then simply need to follow the on screen instructions and the update will be completed by rebooting the hudl.

If you have any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards 

Marc Routliff

Tesco Tech Support

What do Tesco define as "a small number"? In relation to 200,00 units (arbitrary figure), 3% of that figure is 6,000 faulty Hudls - hardly an insignificant amount. If you get one fault it is one too many. If you get 100 that is getting towards a bad report, but if you get into the thousands, you had better get on the case and investigate (unless you just don't care). It is small in relation to the overall number, but 6,000 units (reiteration: an arbitrary figure for the sake of the case) faulty should ring alarm bells. Corporations know that consumers - especially walkover British ones - are lazy, and won't bother to push them for the exact figures (and Tesco would very likely decline to give them out, due to being more concerned about "image" than truth and transparency). 

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Clever Trevor

I've done the different colour test, no difference found, still had the same problem with the charging and clock. Although my Hudl 2 has been charging fine for a week, it's now gone back to not charging. I first spoke to Tesco's in October 2014, at that time, they'd not heard of this problem. I asked the tech people to ring me considering I was on my third Hudl 2 at the time and discuss the issue with me. I'd worked out it was a software related problem and tried to inform Tesco's of this but they probably thought I was too stupid or didn't know anything about diagnosing problems of this nature so they ignored me and my comments. Shame they didn't listen then, we might have had an update by now. Eventually I was told there would be an update at the beginning of December, didn't happen. I was then told there would be one on Jan 5th, that didn't happen either.

I might try an Orange one next! Hehe!!!

Well I'd have to disagree with that, too many previous and current android tablets have suffered from seemingly 'hardware' issues for them to disappear after software updates.

I'd like to think this will probably be the same - it's just it takes Tesco so long to sort these types of updates out.

Guest state-it

it's just it takes Tesco so long to sort these types of updates out.

Rewrite (in a more verbose way, but meaning the same, I think):

It just takes TESCO so long to hassle both Pegatron and TESCO's subcontracted ROM makers enough to convince them to fix things so they'll get the next order for HUDL3, to sort these types of update out.

Edited by state-it

Guest glossywhite

I've done the different colour test, no difference found, still had the same problem with the charging and clock. Although my Hudl 2 has been charging fine for a week, it's now gone back to not charging. I first spoke to Tesco's in October 2014, at that time, they'd not heard of this problem. I asked the tech people to ring me considering I was on my third Hudl 2 at the time and discuss the issue with me. I'd worked out it was a software related problem and tried to inform Tesco's of this but they probably thought I was too stupid or didn't know anything about diagnosing problems of this nature so they ignored me and my comments. Shame they didn't listen then, we might have had an update by now. Eventually I was told there would be an update at the beginning of December, didn't happen. I was then told there would be one on Jan 5th, that didn't happen either.

I might try an Orange one next! Hehe!!!

With respect, why should they listen to you, over the Android development team at Pegatron - one of the largest consumer electronics vendors on the planet? I'm sure your idea is great and I am sure it would have worked, but Pegatron and the like have highly skilled (and highly paid, very likely) employed programmers and engineers who are paid to write code and to design & diagnose products for them, all day every day - tell me why they'd pick up on an offer of a solution in an email (or call) from an unknown member of the public? Also, they have a lot of responsibility to their customers - if your solution had caused more issues, or had caused some kind of injurious fault or even death, who would they hold accountable for that? This sounds a lot like you're more concerned with feeling rejected - I'd say move on from it and forget it - these people are working with source code that all has to be maintained and kept in sync and logged. 

A slightly different topic, but much related - do you realise just how many patches, tweaks and fixes are submitted to the team who maintain the Linux kernel, on a weekly or monthly basis? Hundreds. How many get through? Not many - Linus Torvalds and/or Alan Cox must get inundated with suggestions, but they can't implement them ALL. The same applies @ Pegatron/Tesco - I very much doubt you're the first person to be submitting patch/fix ideas to them, and being ignored.

With regards to the clock issue, I spoke to Tesco today about this, and the girl said they'd just received a memo that the update will be released on 19/01/2015. We shall see :)

Take care, I hope I haven't been too blunt.

Edited by glossywhite

One reason Tesco doesn't really care is that if they deem a unit faulty, they will be passing the cost back to Pegatron.  I expect that is why so many Hudl faults that people here know are software issues are classified by Tesco support as 'faulty' and refunded without demur.

By the way, folks, if you want to get a grip on logic, you need to distinguish between ' correlation' and 'causal connection'.  If a single blue Hudl has a charging problem, that is a correlation. It is not a causal connection.

Guest glossywhite

One reason Tesco doesn't really care is that if they deem a unit faulty, they will be passing the cost back to Pegatron.  I expect that is why so many Hudl faults that people here know are software issues are classified by Tesco support as 'faulty' and refunded without demur.

By the way, folks, if you want to get a grip on logic, you need to distinguish between ' correlation' and 'causal connection'.  If a single blue Hudl has a charging problem, that is a correlation. It is not a causal connection.

Such rationale and logic! Be gone! :D :p

Guest cheese_aholic

Email from Tesco today...

Thanks for your email.

I can confirm that the update has already been sent out to the first 25,000 customers over the last 2 days. It should be available to all by Wednesday 21st. We have had very positive feedback so far, so I'm sure that it will resolve your issue.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Darrell

Tesco Tech Support

Guest Pipedreambomb

Exciting! Just fired up my Hudl and the update isn't available for me yet.

Reminder: you can check yours by going to the Settings app, scrolling to the very bottom of the options and tapping "About tablet". Next tap on "hudl updates". It will display when the last update was installed. You can press the "Check now" button to force it to check again for an available update.

It's not unusual for updates to be "rolled out" so that you gradually increase the number of people receiving them. It means that if there's a big bug in the update, it will only affect the smaller group who have received it so far, who will hopefully get in touch to tell you that there's a problem.