Bootloader unlocking

Guest LightInDark

Guest dazmatic
1 minute ago, Garsay said:

Yes, you're right, I didn't notice that before. I can find the change that bit is. It is possible that it will work with Ubuntu and Windows after the change, with Android not having to. Thank you for a great note, I have to try it out at the weekend, maybe even today, I'll share it all. ?

What's the variable and what does it need to be set to, usually 0x1 or 0x0. Not been able to check but can change from EFI

Guest Garsay
On 4/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, dazmatic said:

What's the variable and what does it need to be set to, usually 0x1 or 0x0. Not been able to check but can change from EFI

In the appendix there is a ROM in which I changed the system from Android to Windows and ISP PCI.
Please result, I can't get HDMI on boot to try it myself.

Hudl 2 - WIN.zip

Guest Garsay

In this appendix there are 2 ROMs for android, by which we have changed the variable for Android. I don't know what to do, but can anyone try it?
One is with "Droid Boot" turned on - it should go booting into the Android loader or. fastboot and the like, maybe power and volume + / -, or fastboot, or you can get to UEFI Setup.
Then there is the Android ROM that has "Boot Android OS" turned on. I don't know what will change, but you can try.
Please also give feedback ?

Hudl 2 - Android.zip

Guest Garsay

And in the third place, I will give you reverse-tested variables from "Setup".
0x12B - ISP PCI dev. sel.
   00 = Disabled
   01 = B0D2F0 (for Win)
   02 = B0D3F0 (for Linux OS) (Default)

0x1FD - OS Selection
   00 = Windows
   01 = Android

0x1FE - Droid Boot
   00 = Disabled
   01 = Enabled

0x1FF - Android Boot
   00 = Disabled
   01 = Enabled

I'm really a beginner in this, but it has its logic.
Please try to run Windows, I will be very happy ?

Guest Garsay
2 hours ago, Garsay said:

And in the third place, I will give you reverse-tested variables from "Setup".
0x12B - ISP PCI dev. sel.
   00 = Disabled
   01 = B0D2F0 (for Win)
   02 = B0D3F0 (for Linux OS) (Default)

0x1FD - OS Selection
   00 = Windows
   01 = Android

0x1FE - Droid Boot
   00 = Disabled
   01 = Enabled

0x1FF - Android Boot
   00 = Disabled
   01 = Enabled

I'm really a beginner in this, but it has its logic.
Please try to run Windows, I will be very happy ?

OMG!!!!!!!!
I've booted Windows 10 !!! ❤️
It has a problem with WiFi and BT, but overall the system works, the image is smooth and quite usable. Just SOC warms up.59371090_2046948388941711_624496800413253632_n.jpg.ddb74590170dcdedfbef80b709fecf1f.jpg58825778_460829344657898_5174168451773628416_n.jpg.5aeddeb7e9ac62c5abdf71975f82bf2b.jpg58460866_427306821162486_8395824653158842368_n.jpg.84e366cadc9f4c10e5b36ae2bafd6081.jpg
58376720_359073831621560_872236883483033600_n.jpg.abe8c8fe18c029d18b338926798859c8.jpg58570827_2298123427125043_2890021779093323776_n.jpg.7467def50eb1e851694d20fbd58a2339.jpg

Guest dazmatic

That's awesome! Looks like a driver perhaps might sort out the BT and wifi? I'm going to try it with mine later. I've still got 2 tablets here that I need to sort out. I'd really like android booting on one and windows would be great on another.

Guest Garsay
1 hour ago, dazmatic said:

That's awesome! Looks like a driver perhaps might sort out the BT and wifi? I'm going to try it with mine later. I've still got 2 tablets here that I need to sort out. I'd really like android booting on one and windows would be great on another.

It's great, but it would take me longer if you didn't bring me the PCI ISP.
Those Windows I was very pleased ?
But I don't have much time to deal with them, so I'll try something later ...
Without the display, I see nothing when booting the installation, but maybe I would try blindfolded and remembered ?
I don't know if it makes sense, 16GB eMMC is little and if it will be OK, but if it works well, I have at least miniPC ...
For us, such things are quite expensive, so I like to help this way ?

Guest dazmatic
Just now, Garsay said:

It's great, but it would take me longer if you didn't bring me the PCI ISP.
Those Windows I was very pleased ?
But I don't have much time to deal with them, so I'll try something later ...
Without the display, I see nothing when booting the installation, but maybe I would try blindfolded and remembered ?
I don't know if it makes sense, 16GB eMMC is little and if it will be OK, but if it works well, I have at least miniPC ...
For us, such things are quite expensive, so I like to help this way ?

Yeah, it's the PCI ISP to windows setting and OS selection option to windows that makes windows 10 bootable. That being said, It cannot see the emmc drive so cannot install?

Guest dazmatic

By the way, attached is the bootable x64 efi file that you can use you change the variables without needing to flash the spi flash every time. Put that in a folder called EFI/boot on a USB drive and you get a Grub screen. type "setup_var" and the variable you want to change followed by the value, so "setup_var 0x12b 0x1" changes the ISP PCI to windows.

bootx64.efi

Guest Garsay
27 minutes ago, dazmatic said:

By the way, attached is the bootable x64 efi file that you can use you change the variables without needing to flash the spi flash every time. Put that in a folder called EFI/boot on a USB drive and you get a Grub screen. type "setup_var" and the variable you want to change followed by the value, so "setup_var 0x12b 0x1" changes the ISP PCI to windows. 

bootx64.efi 2.38 MB · 0 downloads

Oh, that's good, I don't know it ?
But I don't see anything without the display anyway: D
Just after loading OS, but this is a good thing ...
Secure boot is not in Setup, but it is especially variable.

Guest dazmatic

Excellent, thanks! It'll be interesting. I have a working 4.4.2 android disk image but no 4.4.2 bios to match it and this bios was pulled from a much much older 4.4.2 android so I'm hoping I can do something with it.

Guest Garsay
12 minutes ago, dazmatic said:

Excellent, thanks! It'll be interesting. I have a working 4.4.2 android disk image but no 4.4.2 bios to match it and this bios was pulled from a much much older 4.4.2 android so I'm hoping I can do something with it.

You're welcome ?
Hudl 2 is my first project with which we tried something with UEFI, I tried to understand it a lot in depth, not to do the instructions like everyone tries, but I wanted to understand it by reverse engineering ?
I am really happy that the time we devoted it to, so it works.
Do you think Asus Zenfone 5 also has UEFI? : ? D

Guest dazmatic

I just wish I had a working android system image with the correct bios. Don't seem to be able to get windows 10 to run. It installs the files but doesn't boot. What version of windows 10 you use?

Guest Garsay
3 minutes ago, dazmatic said:

I just wish I had a working android system image with the correct bios. Don't seem to be able to get windows 10 to run. It installs the files but doesn't boot. What version of windows 10 you use?

I use Windows 10 1903 - Windows Insider.
I did not install Windows on Hudl 2, I took SSD from my laptop and booted it to Hudl 2 via USB converter.

Guest dazmatic
Just now, Garsay said:

I use Windows 10 1903 - Windows Insider.
I did not install Windows on Hudl 2, I took SSD from my laptop and booted it to Hudl 2 via USB converter.

Yeah, sorted it now. Installed windows 10 to the hudls EMMC. Just trying to get devices installed.

Guest Garsay

So unfortunately, the motherboard died ... After I unpacked the DISM image on eMMC and wanted to continue, so I got stuck and die.
Now the PMIC warms up a lot ??? Probably overloaded USB. I'm very angry, I lost a lot of time and I have nothing. I shouldn't have done it ?

Edited by Garsay

Guest dazmatic
35 minutes ago, Garsay said:

So unfortunately, the motherboard died ... After I unpacked the DISM image on eMMC and wanted to continue, so I got stuck and die.
Now the PMIC warms up a lot ??? Probably overloaded USB. I'm very angry, I lost a lot of time and I have nothing. I shouldn't have done it ?

Quite possibly, I see you were using SSD attached to USB? I tried that and the device wouldn't boot as it couldn't provide the power.

Do you get nothing from the otg cable? Or voltage from the battery?

I've been using a powered USB hub so have probably been fortunate but it shouldn't just short out as the pmic is designed to protect.

• 10 months later...
Guest SteveDeacon

Guys did you ever get android working on this with the unlocked bootloader, basically I'm trying to just remove all the Tesco crap from the tablet and to have root, but I'm a newb with this stuff?