New update Sept 15

Guest Flashingblade

It stayed at the pulsating star for a full 20 mins on mine then rebooted a couple of times in the process before the update process settled down... Hang in there!

Well, too late now I guess. IT's now going through the process of updating the apps and (hopefully) restoring as much as poss from the last back up (four days ago).

Hey there,

I received my Hudl 2 this morning and was met with the following passage a few steps in while performing the first-time set-up instructions:

Update available

There’s a new update waiting for your hudl, contains the following:
Little tweaks under-the-hood to prepare your hudl2 for Android Lollipop 5.1. Once you’ve successfully updated, your device will start to automatically download the new software update in the background and alert you once Lollipop 5.1 is ready to install.

Now here are a couple of aims, in order of priority, I would like to achieve on this device:

1. Obtain root (SuperSU).
  2. Upgrade to Lollipop 5.1

While I'm not all that new on the rooting scenario (same username on XDA), my 3 years old Sammy Note 2 was remarkably easy to root via Odin with TWRP and SuperSU zip flash. Been using custom CM12.1 roms for a while now so I've settled into Lollipop quite well too. As such, it would be ideal to have the Hudl 2 running the latest, rooted Lollipop for a consistent experience.

This thread appears to be the most popular and relevant to my aims so I've got that going for me. Also, I've since switched off the tablet before committing to any updates at all. At this point, I'm happy wait for any advice/guidance/tips on how to proceed to a rooted, Lollipop Hudl 2 right from the get-go (none of that older apps baggage either).

Thanks for your time.

• Model No: HTFA4B
  • SC525628
  • EAN: 5054268752855
Edited by Rickav

Guest speakeasy

Hey there,

I received my Hudl 2 this morning and was met with the following passage a few steps in while performing the first-time set-up instructions:

Now here are a couple of aims, in order of priority, I would like to achieve on this device:

1. Obtain root (SuperSU).
  2. Upgrade to Lollipop 5.1

While I'm not all that new on the rooting scenario (same username on XDA), my 3 years old Sammy Note 2 was remarkably easy to root via Odin with TWRP and SuperSU zip flash. Been using custom CM12.1 roms for a while now so I've settled into Lollipop quite well too. As such, it would be ideal to have the Hudl 2 running the latest, rooted Lollipop for a consistent experience.

This thread appears to be the most popular and relevant to my aims so I've got that going for me. Also, I've since switched off the tablet before committing to any updates at all. At this point, I'm happy wait for any advice/guidance/tips on how to proceed to a rooted, Lollipop Hudl 2 right from the get-go (none of that older apps baggage either).

Thanks for your time.

• Model No: HTFA4B
  • SC525628
  • EAN: 5054268752855

In my rather uninformed opinion, I would have thought that the best thing to do would be to apply the updates and then hope for a root solution rather than rooting before applying the update.

Last time I applied an update to my rooted Hudl2, it became soft bricked.  Tesco were very good and fixed it for me (they arranged a courier collection & retiurn).

I have just applied the small pre-Lollipop update which has removed root and am now downloading the 1Gb Lollipop update.

Hoping that a) the update will go OK and b) a root solution will be posted shortly by some lovely person :-)

Guest AlecRobertson

Has anybody noticed that the newest update prevents from using the Dolby app even if you've sideloaded the APK?

Edited by AlecRobertson

In my rather uninformed opinion, I would have thought that the best thing to do would be to apply the updates and then hope for a root solution rather than rooting before applying the update.

Last time I applied an update to my rooted Hudl2, it became soft bricked.  Tesco were very good and fixed it for me (they arranged a courier collection & retiurn).

I have just applied the small pre-Lollipop update which has removed root and am now downloading the 1Gb Lollipop update.

Hoping that a) the update will go OK and b) a root solution will be posted shortly by some lovely person :-)

I see... I also heard that there might have been a new update pushed out today? Maybe worth waiting a couple more days before checking in on the update train? My Hudl 2 is currently a completely blank slate (switched off part-way through first-time set-up) to make the upgrade transition easier. I'm guessing the upgrade download is rather significant just by itself. It's a shame that it's currently not rooted so that I could extract out the update package separately.

Guest Steve1953

slower to power up, some apps have to be installed again, 1 app failed to install until I re-synced the date/time

otherwise I can't see much difference, 

Edited by Steve1953
update

Would people like the files to root there hudl2 with lollipop as I will upload if people want it 

Can you upload please, as I'm interested to see how you've done it in lollipop - I have some ideas.

I got the update finally this morning and captured both the small and larger OTA files.

Edited by Guest

For anyone that's wondering what the larger update is up to (that's probably obvious) and how it does it (less obvious), here's the updater-script contents for all to see: -

check_bios("43.J");
(!less_than_int(1442499833, getprop("ro.build.date.utc"))) || abort("Can't install this package (Thu Sep 17 14:23:53 UTC 2015) over newer build (" + getprop("ro.build.date") + ").");
getprop("ro.product.device") == "HTF8A4" || abort("This package is for \"HTF8A4\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.device") + "\".");
show_progress(0.750000, 0);
ui_print("Patching system image unconditionally...");
block_image_update("/dev/block/by-name/system", package_extract_file("system.transfer.list"), "system.new.dat", "system.patch.dat");
show_progress(0.050000, 5);
package_extract_file("boot.img", "/dev/block/by-name/boot");
show_progress(0.200000, 10);
package_extract_file("esp.zip", "/tmp/esp.zip");
flash_esp_update("/tmp/esp.zip");
package_extract_file("droidboot.img", "/dev/block/by-name/fastboot");
wipe_cache();

Here it is attached also.

updater-script

Edited by Guest

can the img be modded so it can be installed through tether on a bootloop hudl? I flashed brains r1 img and now stuck with boot.img error when updating via ota, cant do anything else, can still get usb debug through keyboard hack

Guest Steve1953

I can't quite understand why you would NOT have your date/time synced by default anyway?!

Microsoft word failed to install 2 times. Google suggested to try setting the date/time manually to the wrong date time and then setting back to auto to re-sync. It then installed OK but may be just a coincidence.

Never rooted HUDL here. Both updates installed fine for me, the main Lollipop update took about 3 hours in all from start to finish. The latter part of that 3 hours was the encryption, optimising apps and then updating loads of the apps, which did take an inordinately long time. But I didn't want to use the HUDL, so it didn't matter how long it took. There were a couple of points where it looked like it had hung, but it got there eventually. Running smoothly today, I'd say running a bit smoother than it did, but in terms of everyday use it is difficult to tell any difference (I use the the free version of Nova launcher). Time will tell, I wouldn't mind if it made battery life a bit better. At least they deployed Lollipop before Marshmallow is released :)