Guest Gareth D

Guest mole62

Selecting "Apply update from ADB" I get:

DellPC app # adb devices
List of devices attached
131214PE5048643 sideload

DellPC app # adb reboot bootloader
error: closed
DellPC app # adb sideload BasicDreams.apk (BasicDreams is the first apk listed in my backup /apps dir)
loading: 'BasicDreams.apk'
sending: 'BasicDreams.apk'  100%    

which fails with:

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

E:end of footer from /tmp/update.zip not 0xFFFF (File exists)

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted.

Which could be a route forward? Sending the L update zip file (unfortunately I think I've lost mine before I could back it up) might work?

Guest mole62

No luck with the fastboot whatever buttons are pressed or held..... keeping power held down as well as vol buttons continually reboots, think the official Tesco update zip file could solve this, but when I tried to pull it with adb I got a "file not found" error. Probably should have found it's actual location rather than the linked location....

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Think I'll look at the soldering and bootloader reflashing method, but will need direct access to the flash memory, will go away and Google that!

Gareth, apologies for hijacking your thread but hopefully any solution will help us both!

Guest Gareth D

I'm in exactly the same place as Mole....I can't get to any "fastboot" mode, just the stock HUDL2 Recovery Menu, from which the ADB option is restricted to sideload only...,which can;t be used to flash a new ROM as best as I can ascertain. 

Guest mole62

I've just got mine into Fastboot mode :-)

I hadn't tried a "factory reset" as other threads were warning of the boot loop problem, but thought I'd give it a go as nothing to lose.

That has allowed the Hudl2 to boot, and I followed the instructions to enable developer mode, then "adb fastboot reboot" has taken it to fastboot.

Maybe try wiping your cache, then factory reset, then the keyboard comma etc as you've tried before? Once it's in fastboot mode it can be fixed with a tethered root (though I'm going to charge the battery for a while first)

Guest Gareth D

well, well, well, thanks to your above suggestion Mr Mole, I've been able to get into bootloader and have just flashed 

system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.img

onto my device, which then booted up Ok. It's now downloading the pre-Lollipop 314Mb OTA update as I speak (well, type). Not out the woods quite yet, but looking positive. I'll report back later.

cheers everyone.

Edited by Gareth D

Guest mole62

Good to hear :-) If you know and could post your build date or number before the reflash I'd appreciate it - Paul's warning about using the exact build or risking bricking worries me a bit. I need to reflash as mine's still not working even after restoring the deleted apps, and was going to use Paul's image on my KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys build.

Edit: It's earlier in the thread and the same as mine.... would still be good to know how you got on!

Edited by mole62

Guest Gareth D

I'm still stuck in the mud I'm afraid.

- Flashed  system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.img against my current build of KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys

- Tablet booted OK and took me the "new user" type stuff, then automatically downloaded and applied 314Mb OTA update.

- The OTA upfate failed to install, leaving me in stock recover menu

- As I understand it, you can't OTA a rooted tablet, so as the above image flash is for a rooted build, I de-rooted using the SuperSu app

-  Re-booted, HUDL2 then automatically re-downloaded the 314 Mb OTA (yet again)....which then again failed to install, leaving me at the Recovery menu with the same error message as before.  

So I'll carry on trying to flash earlier images from Paul's thread this evening an hope I strike gold. It's  all very frustrating, but I'm optimistic I will eventually get there, assuming I don't throw in the towel first!

If I could find a way to prevent the automatic OTA from initiating, I'd happily leave the tablet on KitKat, but I can't find a way to do that either..

thanks

4 hours ago, mole62 said:

Good to hear :-) If you know and could post your build date or number before the reflash I'd appreciate it - Paul's warning about using the exact build or risking bricking worries me a bit. I need to reflash as mine's still not working even after restoring the deleted apps, and was going to use Paul's image on my KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys build.

Edit: It's earlier in the thread and the same as mine.... would still be good to know how you got on!

Guest vampirefo

- Flashed  system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.img against my current build of KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys. 

- Tablet booted OK and took me the "new user" type stuff, then automatically downloaded and applied 314Mb OTA update.

- As I understand it, you can't OTA a rooted tablet, so as the above image flash is for a rooted build, I de-rooted using the SuperSu app

-  Re-booted, HUDL2 then automatically re-downloaded the 314 Mb OTA (yet again)....which then again failed to install, leaving me at the Recovery menu with the same error message as before.  

So I'll carry on trying to flash earlier images from Paul's thread this evening an hope I strike gold. It's  all very frustrating, but I'm optimistic I will eventually get there, assuming I don't throw in the towel first!

If I could find a way to prevent the automatic OTA from initiating, I'd happily leave the tablet on KitKat, but I can't find a way to do that either..

thanks

4 hours ago, mole62 said: Good to hear :-) If you know and could post your build date or number before the reflash I'd appreciate it - Paul's warning about using the exact build or risking bricking worries me a bit. I need to reflash as mine's still not working even after restoring the deleted apps, and was going to use Paul's image on my KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys build.

Well don't connect to the internet until you modified the build.prop file. Updater look at the build.prop file to determine if update is needed, change this tells the updater you don't need an update.

Guest mole62

If I could convert my /system image - taken from a rooted 20150529.110309 - to a proper flashable sparse file that could help, but using cp --sparse=always and  "img2simg hudl.raw.img hudl.sparse.img" give different output file sizes, and both are different to the examples in Captain Midnight's thread. There were errors thrown up compiling img2simg (same errors reported by others on the thread). So I wouldn't trust the sparse images.

If the raw system image is any use to you I'll send it to the server and post a download link

Guest mole62

Just tried flashing Paul's image but no luck. I've downloaded the file twice and "diff" says the copies are the same, but rebooting to bootloader and doing:

fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash system system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.zip

gave "E:data not sparse unable to flash" on screen and "FAILED (remote: flash_cmds error!)" on PC.

Wondering if mine has upgraded something and could need a different format sparse file??  I'd restored all the apk's and set wifi up, on reboot it sat with an "Updating" message for a couple of hours, then on rebooted has ADB, no root, no display. 

Guest mole62
50 minutes ago, vampirefo said:

Are you trying to flash a zip file with fastboot? If so don't extract and flash the system

Thanks.... yes I was!! Flashed the extracted image and it's up and running again :-)

Now to stop the updates.....  but have looked through the file in /system/build.prop and can't see anything obvious which sets updates?

build.prop-2015-01-06

Guest dennissingh99
5 hours ago, Gareth D said:

- Flashed  system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1.img against my current build of KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys

thanks

What you could do is get that ota file that the tablet downloads and then modify the update script inside the zip file. The file can be found inside the cache folder on the tablet when it downloads. Edit the update script to stop it from verifying any of the files on the system. When this is done you can use the tethered recovery to flash the ota zip file and then you can proceed with the lollipop installation. If you need any help just upload zip file and I'll do it for you.

Guest vampirefo

50 minutes ago, vampirefo said:  

Are you trying to flash a zip file with fastboot? If so don't extract and flash the system

Thanks.... yes I was!! Flashed the extracted image and it's up and running again :-)

Now to stop the updates.....  but have looked through the file in /system/build.prop and can't see anything obvious which sets updates?

build.prop-2015-01-06

Change every 4.4.2 to 5.1

Change KOT49H to anything example KOT50H

Guest mole62

Thanks, all good, mine's sorted now

Gareth - mine didn't go through the initial setup and forced update as my user data was intact. I think if you clear the cache and reflash Paul's image again, without a factory reset, it may well avoid the forced update, though I'd save a copy of the update file from /cache first. I've backed up and deleted hudl updates 1.2 and hudl update 1.98 without any issues.

Guest Gareth D

well guys, i'm still not there.

I re-flashed image once again, then edited build.prop as suggested above to replace references to 4.4.2 with 5.1, etc. Confirmed in the About screen that the tablet has been duped into thinking its 5.1....so then took a deep breath and rebooted. But alas its still wants to download the 5.1 update, which will no doubt fail again on install......

at my wits end with this device :( 

Guest mole62

Think others will be able to help you more with the update message, the only thing I can think from your screenshot is that either your /system/build.prop still contains ro.build.fingerprint=Hudl/HTF8A4XX/HTF8A4:4.4.2/KOT49H/rel.android-build.20150106.154003:user/release-keys or it's saved the info somewhere else, maybe been put into the update.zip file at some point, IDK. Have you deleted the update file after editing build.prop?

One thing worth trying is to boot the Hudl2 with the battery below 50%, the L update script just gives a message instead of trying to install if the battery's low-ish.

• 8 months later...