Here's how to configure adoptable storage on your S7 / S7 Edge

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest RodRod

when i type in adb shell it tells me not recognized as an internal or external command. What should I do? Should I download something or am I just doing it wrong?

Im using an s7 from canada

Help.

Guest Jespy
14 hours ago, RodRod said:

when i type in adb shell it tells me not recognized as an internal or external command. What should I do? Should I download something or am I just doing it wrong?

Im using an s7 from canada

Help.

You need to install the Android SDK first to make it work, I ran into the same issue last night. 

I'm not sure what the rules are here for posting links but just Google "adb shell is not recognized as an internal or external command"

Use the ZackTutorial or HowToDroid links and that will guide you to it. It's pretty easy. OR you can YouTube it to watch a video guide. 

Hope it helps!

Guest Shark2016

Great Manual by PaulOBrien and great help from the users here in the forum.

Thanks a lot +++

I managed to install working SDK / ADB tools and split on this way a new 64GB SD card in the S7 edge to 50:50, but ...

No new apps will get installed or can be placed or moved to the new "internal" SD partition (adoptable storage)

and they won´t install automatically on the the new "internal" SD partition with full free space,

cause the system always told me, that the storage (the normal internal space) is full !

I really i dont´t know why or what to do now ?

Can anybody help me please ?

Thank you

Guest Shark2016

I haven`t tried this, but normally i think you can undo it with first saving the SD card content

and / or the whole phone to your Samsung/Google Account 

and then taking the SD card out of the phone ... (you van format the SD card on your PC/Laptop)

Perhaps after this you must install the phone (only if it´s software crashed) as a new one

and install back an saved backup.

Please wait for real advisory from the well known autor or from other users, who have tried this,

perhaps there is an easier / quicker way ?

Sorry, but i don´t know ...

Guest Telco23

Hi, I am using this from beginning - thanks, it saved me. But I have some problems now. All caused by Galaxy app store. Just can't update it. Becouse I can't update it, I can't use many samsung pre-installed apps like whole microsoft office or install new fonts. I was trying to install new app store from apk, even flash it as zip, nothing. Error about how I don't have enough space(I have). It can be downloaded but can't be installed. I also can't install some other APKs like Eset security from coupon gift. But some other APKs are working normally. Play store is working too. Is this adoptable storage bug, or something else? Anyone with this problem and possible solution, other than backup card, format it, install updates and make it adoptable again? thx

Guest Telco23
17 hours ago, MilkRabbit said:

How can I undo this process?

In phone go to storage --> SD --> format as portable storage (free translation, I don't use EN in s7). It will delete your stuff, except few things which stayed on original internal storage. So mostly system apps, settings and things like that stay. Its not full factory reset. If you have backup and patience you can go back and storage space numbers return to normal (try restart if don't). At least for me it was like that.

Guest Moonblink
On 3/14/2016 at 6:41 PM, Uthred said:

Shows up fine on the phone but the "new" internal storage doesnt show up when connected to the PC? Any way around this?

Yes there is... You just need to Go to Settings > Storage > SD Card > More (upper right corner). Then migrate files to the SD Card there. Once this is done PC's will see the entire card.

Guest Allpoints

I am getting error: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: command '26 volume partition disk 179:0 private' failed with '500 26 unknown disk'

any idea's why this is happening

Guest Moonblink
4 hours ago, Allpoints said:

I am getting error: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: command '26 volume partition disk 179:0 private' failed with '500 26 unknown disk'

When you type 'sm list-disks' what exactly does the shell return? It could be the difference between 179:0 vs 179,0 in your 'sm partition disk' command.

Guest linuxluver

There is a typo in the original instructions.

The post says: " 'sm partition disk:179:160 private

But my phone reported "disk:179,0" 

So the correct format for the command is: 

"sm partition disk:179,0 private"  

Note the comma between the 179 and the zero. I don't know if a colon is ever required, but the command reported an unrecognised disk unless I used a comma instead of a colon. 

Guest linuxluver
6 hours ago, Allpoints said:

There is a typo in the original instructions.

Make it "179,0" instead of "179:0" 

Then it will work. I had the same problem. 

Guest Moonblink

Once you are done following the guide... Go to Settings > Storage > SD Card > More (upper right corner). Then migrate files to the SD Card. Otherwise when you connect to a PC to load videos or MP3's you will have a heart attack when you don't see the space. This will fix the problem!

Guest TheEPOCH

Hi,

i used a 32 gb SD card, but when i klick on storage after the process the device said i used 101 gb of 128 gb. okay, it's said above but when i connected the phone to my windows pc, it only displays 32gb of storage. shouldn't this be displayed right? :-(

any ideas, how i can split the storage on the phone site an double it on the windows side?

And did anyone else notice network connection errors with the samsung store after add sd card to internal storage? when i restore the changes the store works again.

(i do exactly the steps, paulobrien describe above. even migrate) 

Guest rgaspa77

Everything seemed to work,

But when i checked storage the 1/2

I assigned to the device shows corrupted, I formatted and it when back to SD no problem, 

Tried to split again same result 1/2 SD good , 1/2 device corrupted

Any ideas?

Guest Shark2016

I do all the steps above and now i've got the adoptable storage, but if I try to install new apps, they always get saved automatically on the intern memory again, not on the new internal sd memory ... so the memory is getting full again all the time.

Can anyone help me please ?! Thanks

Guest Dragolord

If you migrated data after setting up adopted storage. How do you migrate back to internal? Will formatting adopted storage automatically mean any new download and photos appearing on internal storage?  - sorted if you migrate data as again it will return all to internal. 

I can see download folder, photos, music and video on the adopted memory. Some apps but new apps will still appear in internal storage.

I have renamed the adopted storage unsure whether this will create any problems?

Guest Shark2016

Push ;-)

I do all the steps above and now i've got the adoptable storage, but if I try to install new apps, they always get saved automatically on the original intern memory again, not on the new internal sd memory ... so the intern memory is getting full again all the time.

Can anyone help me please ?!

Thanks

PS:
Seems, i am not the only one with this kind of problem :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-s7-edge/help/adoptable-storage-to-t3345796/post66169041#post66169041

Guest Jasonfish

Thank you for sharing me how to make the adaptable storage work.  The samsung Smart Switch show that the internal memory has been significantly enlarged.  However, I am having another problem.  The bust mode of the camera is not working !!!   Even regular shooting mode becomes very slow and unstable.  Is that because of the adaptable storage ?   Please advise. It is very annoying. 

Guest SPAMdude

Yes, the failed thing is happening to me! Except now I have 10gig on my phone with nothing installed!! i do not have 'more' as a setting in SD card settings. HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Guest SPAMdude

ok, now I'm getting this error: Error: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
1|shell@hero2qltevzw:/ $

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Guest SPAMdude

ok, now I'm getting this error: Error: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
1|shell@hero2qltevzw:/ $

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Guest SPAMdude
On 4/13/2016 at 11:06 PM, EGrainger said:

I am having trouble with this.  

Please see the attached error image.

S7 Screen.jpg

This place is a ghost town....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.