VNCViewer : SmartVNC Alpha 0.1 -> 0.2 Updated 02/03/2003

Guest Cent

Guest terminater2_uk

How about a set-up guide for the really stupid ones amongst us ;)

i think i have my smartvnc set up correctly on my phone but your guide starts off "make sure you have vnc running on your pc". thats the bit thats stumping me. i've downloaded tightvnc and have the icon in my toolbar but what else do i have to do to get it running and allowing my phone to "see" it? :?:

Guest fraser
How about a set-up guide for the really stupid ones amongst us
I think there is one, somewhere in the depths of Modaco. Do a search for VNC and look through the topics.

Would it be easy to adapt your remote control system to control other apps eg. DivX player or Windows Media Player?

No, it's based off a Winamp 2.x plugin. The latest Winamp 2.x does do video though and it seems pretty good at it.

Guest Mesh121

theres one setup guide at the top of this page, its by mono. :S Help stil does not work for me: Trying to connect via my cradle to the sync pc :S wil that work or wil it not?

Guest fraser

I've had that working. What IP address are you trying to connect to? Are you sure the password is correct? When testing this, I changed my VNC password to "test", made it easier to type in abc mode.

Guest fraser

Yes. Your phone will not be able to look up your computers name and convert it to an IP, as your host name is not listed on a name server somewhere.

There are a few services, like dyndns.org that let you create a URL like

myhost.dyndns.org

that maps to your IP address through the internet's DNS system.

Guest Mesh121

ok so if i was now to connect through my phone, i would have the have the hostname as 'myhost.dyndns.org ' something like that? and will i have to pay to connect. As i am trying to connect Through my cradle to the syncranising pc.

Guest fraser

You don't have to have a hostname set up, the IP will work fine. The dyndns stuff is useful when your IP address changes, like it does on most IPs from time to time. You can run a program on your PC to update the DNS when your IP changes. This is not relevant to this problem though.

To find the IP address to use, hover the mouse above the VNC icon in the system tray.

Guest Mesh121

k thats loads help now:

what is the user properties for?! because i think i may of changed it by accident and is it possible for someone to tell me the working ones ;)?

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Hextile encoding

CopyRect ok, 8-bit colour, Shared sess options selected.

fraser: how did you get a conn to the host PC through the cradle? Icouldn't get it to work. Also if you have a NAT-based router you can enter hostnames quite happily ;)

Guest terminater2_uk

doesnt work for me. vnc running on pc, ip address in host, same password but when i click connect it just shuts :?:

tried a search but found nothing that helps, apart from one topic that says post questions here ;)

Guest fraser
how did you get a conn to the host PC through the cradle?
I got it working to the PC that is connected to the cradle, that's the only way I've done it to be honest. I just used the real IP of my box (not 127.0.0.1) and it was fine.

if you have a NAT-based router you can enter hostnames quite happily

Not neccessarily. If you are using a network with Windows boxes, they are really cheating. Windows has it's own name resolution service, it's a part of the SMB file and printer sharing system. When you enter a hostname it doesn't know, it can be used to locate it's IP address. This works via network broadcasts, so if you try to contact a host on another subnet, it won't work. The full-on DNS system in the internet is very different; it uses servers to propagate the mappings down to each client PC.

I found this when I was setting up my firewall. The linux box couldn't use any hostnames, or be contacted by hostname until I set up SAMBA, which is a linux port of the SMB system.

As for settings of the VNC server, here you go: (x is tick, o is no tick)

I use TightVNC, which is an extended version of VNC. You might not have one or two of these options in yours.

Accept Socket Connections x

Display number: 0 (auto x)

Password: test

Disable Remote..... o

Disable Local..... o

Poll Full Screen o

Foreground x

Window o

Console x

Event o

The last few are only for how VNC detects changes to the screen. Windows isn't really built for this kind of thing, it's mostly a hack.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

OK thats true fraser, although quite why you'd need to subnet a home lan i don't know... ;)

I could never get it to VNC into the same box running the server as the cradle was plugged into (excuse grammar :/), although i don't think i tried by ip at all...

I'll have another play tonight.

Guest fraser
why you'd need to subnet a home lan i don't know...

WiFi when you already have a wired network. ;) The WiFi side of things is a bit more restricted, just in case!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DBin

Ive got it working OTA to my pc running VNC Server. Ive been waiting for this for a long time. Great piece of software - keep up the good work - when can I expect an updated version. ;)

Guest marksankey

DBin

Could you provide some further details of how you got it working?

My PC on which VNC server is running has two IP addresses - one allocated dynamically by my ISP and one for my wireless LAN setup. Do I need to enter both IP addresses in one string in the host field? The other PC on my LAN has the viewer version of VNC installed and I'm able to connect these 2 PC together through VNC.

Whenever I press 'Connect' in SmartVNC, the phone immediately reverts to the Home screen and there's no sign that any connection attempt is being made. I know I read earlier in this thread that this is a 'feature' of the software, but I'm not sure if I've just got the settings totally incorrect or what.

Any help appreciated.

Guest laxity

Marksankey

If you are using a NAT router (i.e your wireless lan) you will need to port forward 5900 to the internal IP address of the machine on your network you want to connect to. When you use vnc on your mobile to connect enter the IP address allocated by your ISP to connect to.

Note that when you connect the vnc application will drop back to the menu until a connection is made. You will also need to make sure the gprs is dialed on your mobile before you use vnc. (I just browse to a web page in IE on the phone first and then quit it once the line is up).

Cheers,

Richard.

Guest fraser

Nope, that won't work. The phone can only see your external IP address, not any of the wireless ones. You need to instruct the box that is acting as your firewall/router to forward any incomming connections on port 5900 to the box that is running VNC.

--- PC1

Internet --- Firewall/Router --- PC2

--- PC3

Then, when VNC tries to talk to yourRealIP:5900, it is really talking to the relevant PC. Look up "port forwarding" in your firewall/routers documentation. Usually it will be a command somewhere in the form:

incommingPort:destIP:destPort

e.g.

5900:192.168.0.2:5900

Where 192.168.0.2 would be the IP address of the PC running VNC.