Remote Control (for T.V.'s / DVD players) Software for SPV?

Guest urdone311

Just yesterday I was thinking of something like this, too bad it looks like HTC is right.

Now that Nokia 3650 can have a remote function, I guess Nokia has the edge on this one. :lol:

Guest PsychoDave

Once again they were trapped inside....

The thread that wouldn't Die...

For many months the thread had trundled on accompanied by the wails and moans of "but if it works on the PPC" ooooh and "if a nokia can do it" aahhhhhh but to no avail.

They threatened to lock it but another would appear in its place almost instantly. Every search ever done reveals more of these threads growing at an incredible rate somewhere deep in the realms of Pauls server. There is nothing that can stop it.

Except.....

A brave hero who can stand up to the myriad of random "check this out" and "what about this" posts and say "look it don't work, get over it and use a proper remote"

The End ;)

(Apologies for being a spanner :lol: but I didn't get much sleep )

Guest PsychoDave

You don't have a chance though. As has been stated umpteen times in this and all the other threads theres no way to make the IR port do what is required to emulate a TV remote.

I would like to be proved wrong but theres been a lot of discussion about this and a bunch of people way smarter than me have said it's a non-starter so for me thats the end of it.

Sorry :lol:

This thread is a "floater" - it doesn't matter how often we try to flush it away it still drifts to the top.

Oh well, some things in life are absolute certainties - death, taxes, and floaters.

Guest dodgybob

Sorry to elongate this used and abused thread... but I went and built myself one of those Media Center PC's (u know those microsoft $$$ Home Theatre PC / Personal Video Recorder gimmicks)... I ordered the "microsoft remote control" from the states. It came with a USB infraRed reciever. Every time I press a button on me microsoft remote a little Red LED lights up on the reciever indicating a signal sent. Thats from a distance of about 3-4m and even more... no line of sight required (powerful Ir). All other remotes trigger a red blink but no action is taken!

Yesterday i was beaming a contact via my SPV to a mate and there was a slight problem his Ir wasn't recieving. I was just alligning the two fones when my SPV was brought in line with the Microsoft Infra Red reciever... this triggered a series of regular blinks of its Red LED. It was in a pattern! I was standing about 3m away pointing my phone at the emmiter and it kept doing it. I then stopped beaming the contact and the LED blinking stopped. Then when I started beaming again, the blinking started again!

Weird ay! Well this doesn't prove much! It just shows that its not only the power of the transmitter on the phone that matters. Its also the sensitivity of the reciever. Now... if only the egg-heads at M$ would come together and find out a way of uniting two of their "ventures into uncharted territorry"... then all they had to do is integrate it with Tablet PC ink support and the whole of the M$ line is unified!

just my 2 pennies worth!

Bob

Hey, I've been following this topic since it first cropped up, and I can't recall anyone actually saying they had tried it. Seriously. Everyone just seemed to give up. My system is only 3 meters away from me, if it can do that, I'll be happy.

In fact, I just ran a test. I've just installed an electronic dimmer that has IR a few days ago. You can learn a button from any remote control for it to use. I put it into learn mode and fired up the beam contact thing. It worked!!

Well, sort-of. I never actually expected it to work properly, the receiver was expecting a single button press, not the vastly more complex data stream that's used to beam contacts. When the signal is too long, the dimmer changes the light gradually from dark to bright. I got a positive (ish) reaction like this for up to about four meters. That's on my bed.

Hmm. There has to be a way. The above test was done with work lights turned on the the room by the way (I'm still decorating), so it was fairly bright.

The IRDA devices in phones are no different from the ones in PDAs. I've read posts about CIR vs IRDA, yes that's valid and it's a pain, however it's not a dead end. I had good results training a laptop with IRDA to read a remote control for Winamp several years ago.

If anyone cares to write an app that sends a very short (1 or 2 byte message) over IR, I can test it with these lights. :wink:

I tried sending a text file to a printer thru IR via a file explorer. The SPV was able to detect the printer (even the model HP Laser Jet 2100); but as I pressed "BEAM", I got an error message: "Cannot connect to the OBEX device. It is not accessible or does not support selected service".

Here is the analogy:

SPV -> Printer : What is your name? I have something for you. :lol:

Printer -> SPV : Hello! my name is HP Laser Jet 2100. Ok you may send it now. 8)

SPV : (BEAM) -> *&^$#(*#$$!!! :twisted:

Printer -> SPV : What are you trying to send? I dont want to accept it! :roll:

SPV -> YOU : "Cannot connect to the OBEX device. It is not accessible or does not support selected service". :shock:

Conclusion:

1. Based from the above experiment, I belive that the SPV can communicate with certain devices with IR support. Therefore, the printer is acessible.

Proof: the SPV was able to communicate with the printer that It will send something to it. In fact the printer was able to send its brand and model.

2. I believe if there would be an app that will support or translate data sent by the SPV that is understandable by the printer (or any other device with IR), then it will work.

Guest Matt Kirby
The IRDA devices in phones are no different from the ones in PDAs. I've read posts about CIR vs IRDA, yes that's valid and it's a pain, however it's not a dead end. I had good results training a laptop with IRDA to read a remote control for Winamp several years ago.
The IrDA hardware in Smartphones is very similiar to the ones in PDAs (possibly identical with the SPV and Ipaq as both are made by HTC) - but the implementation is different.

As I have said before if the implementation of the hardware and OS doesn't allow direct access from software to the hardware then it's going to be virtualy impossible to gain sufficent control over the hardware to make it spoof cIR.

Although the E200 with Smartphone 2003 could be a whole other thing.....

Conclusion:

1. Based from the above experiment, I belive that the SPV can communicate with certain devices with IR support. Therefore, the printer is acessible.

Proof: the SPV was able to communicate with the printer that It will send something to it. In fact the printer was able to send its brand and model.

2. I believe if there would be an app that will support or translate data sent by the SPV that is understandable by the printer (or any other device with IR), then it will work.

Both your printer and SPV will be using the IrDA protocol, they just can't aggree on the data format transmitted (the printer is expecting a spooled print job, the SPV is sending a text file). Just because your SPV can handshake with your printer doesn't prove anything connected to using and SPV as a TV remote.

It should be possible to write an IrDA print driver for the SPV so you can print to an IrDA printer - they are both talking the same language after all!

As I have said before if the implementation of the hardware and OS doesn't allow direct access from software to the hardware then it's going to be virtualy impossible to gain sufficent control over the hardware to make it spoof cIR.

But in my mind, that if, (emphasis added by me) is still an "if" until someone tries it. Which I think no one actually has. I didn't think PocketPC and Smartphone were all that different. If it's possible there, then it's likely to be possible here.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: where is my remote??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matt Kirby

Please can we end this thread until such time as someone manages to make a working cIR ap for the Smartphone platform?

Everything that can be said has been repeatedly, and repeatedly, and repeatedly. ("PDAs do it", "I hope someone makes this", "PocketPC can do it, and Smartphone is based on that", etc, etc)

Let's forget about Smartphones doing cIR until someone proves that it's possible - until then it aint gonna happen no matter how much we wish and speculate.

I, for one, do not think it's possible. I hope someone proves me wrong. Until then lets drop the subject, eh?

Please may the next person to post to this topic have a working ap, or at least a working proof-of-concept - otherwise just read the previous 6/7 pages - what you want to say has probably already been said (at least twice! :lol: ).

• 3 weeks later...

I used such a program on my 7650 which allow control of the TV from about 2-3 meters away but no further and a direct line of site was required.

I would expect similar results here.

Guest soulsniper

Yawn, it's 3 in the morning and I've just sat and read this thread from start to finish, now I feel like i'm going into a coma.

Like people have said before, give up, it obviously ain't happening. Until such times as someone actually makes a working program, there is no reason to believe it will work.

Guest dinoalbert
I used such a program on my 7650 which allow control of the TV from about 2-3 meters away but no further and a direct line of site was required.

I would expect similar results here.

obviously you didnt read the whole thread from the first page, did you?

Guest Animefan

obviously you didnt read the whole thread from the first page, did you?

who would read all the posts? :roll:

Animefan just skimmed through for a file to DL, but no file, no idea in reading it all 8)