Help setting up GPRS/MMS/WAP for Vodafone please!

Guest ^JP^

Guest Syvwlch

Your Dad's account is enabled for GPRS (the network accepts GPRS calls from his SIM to the Internet Access Point), and his phone has the proper settings.

Your SPV does not have the proper settings.

Your SIM seems to block detection of the GPRS network for the phone (either one). That's what I find very strange. I didn't know that was possible.

It is an old SIM from 17th May 2002 when my contract started and i had it in a Sony Z7, then put it in Samsung T100 and now Orange SPV. It worked fine with WAP in the Z7 and T100 but nothing works with the SPV, im going to try and get a new replacement sim...

Guest hmshah

hi, i called vodafone today who set up GPRS on my phone, after switching phone off like they said i got the G sign. They gave me the settings after i told them my GPRS doesnt work. Ive tried JP's settings and mine that voda gave, but still no luck. So if anyone does have any luck with connecting on vodafone with their SPV please can u let me know. And thanks for your time syvwlch, and hopefully we can find a solution, as im sure its bound to work, the question is how?

Guest Syvwlch

One thing you can try is finding and input'ing the MMS settings, because these work even when the SIM/account is dodgy, which it can be, despite the G appearing at the top of the screen.

It's a bit more work, and it won't allow you to surf the web, but it's a start.

Guest hmshah

thanks, i appreciate it, Im sure theres a way to get GPRS on the phone, it would be a waste to not be able to use it on my phone. Ill just have to keep looking

Well i got all the internet functions working but i have to have it pulged into the USB cradel and it then connects to the net though my computer so i know the phone works its just now i need right vodafone settings and sim card...

Guest Syvwlch

Say, just had an idea...

The SPV has a specific device profile it uses to connect to the internet.

This is NOT a WAP profile, it is a specific profile Orange uses, particularly on its portal, to tell the Transcoding Publishers what format to render the content in. At least this is so in France.

Perhaps that's what is giving the other networks fits?

If it is, then you should try this little app here : WebWAPselect from a fellow frenchman. Ahem.

Install it, then use it to change your profile from SPV to WAP. The phone will emulate a T68i if memory serves. Perhaps that will let you thru?

Well today i have been in a out of the phone shop between college lessons and i now have a new SIM card and contract update to support GPRS and MMS which should be active at 12pm.

I will not be able to try untill tomorrow because aparently they had problems with their fax machine and did not get my contract sent untill late so it will not be active untill after 12pm tonight :x

Guest hmshah

i hope so too, but dont have your hopes too high, as i had GPRS enabled on my vodafone contract, but the SPV cant connect to vodaphone GPRS. So fingers crossed...

hmshah can you try these settings please?

Vodafone GPRS

Access Point: Internet

Username: web

Password: web

Primary DNS: 158.43.240.4

Secondary DNS: 158.43.240.4

IP: Leave Blank i think...

See if they work....

Well my SIM is still not updated with the new tarrif :twisted: but before my father went to work i managed to nick his SIM card for a few min and Wh00000000000000000000000000t those settings above worked !!! it was slower than 56k but i could atcualy get into websites and check email without having it pulged into my usb !!!

Guest hmshah

hi JP, i followed awarners link and inputted all the settings, AND ITS WORKED!!!!! im using GPRS and checking out websites. So i suggest u add all the settings that are in the link, i just cant believe why the guy at vodafone gave me the wrong settings!! its just ridiculous! anyway hope u get your GPRS sorted, and take care

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest nickcornaglia

Check in the GPRS Repository in the Articles section. And please dont use the report to moderator button unless you need to.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
hi JP, i followed awarners link and inputted all the settings, AND ITS WORKED!!!!! im using GPRS and checking out websites. So i suggest u add all the settings that are in the link, i just cant believe why the guy at vodafone gave me the wrong settings!! its just ridiculous! anyway hope u get your GPRS sorted, and take care

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Warners link doesn't work... can someone post the details here?

David.