Next gadget that uses these SD cards

Guest HungrySPV

Guest Matt Whitfield

I've got this Cambridge Audio DAB tuner in black. The sound quality is great through my seperates system and I've never had a problem with reception but then I live in London... I only wanted one so I could record Essential Mix sessions from Radio 1 onto my top end Sony MiniDisc recorder - and for that it's great.

Firaas, you've just answered a question I've wanted an answer to for ages! I'm considering buying a Freeview adapter but wanted to know what happened when you had a weak signal. I didn't want to buy one to find my TV aerial wasn't quite up to the job, thus making my box useles... BTW, did you ever try your DVB TV on an indoor aerial (with/without booster)?

HelloDave, you are correct - different channels on different Sky satellite transponders are configured with *very* different bandwidths. The movie channels get the highest video bandwidth (although other channels may also have bandwidth allocated for the interactive enhancemens to their channel, eg: Disney or MTV). Here is a list of Sky TV and Digital Radio channels and corresponding transponders.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

My flatmate has a DVB tuner card for his PC, i was going to get one but thought i'd test my indoor aerial on his first. Nothing, not a hint of any channel. We live in a "high signal strength" area, and i have a top of the range one-for-all.

However: We do live in an old Victorian house, with thick walls, and he gets 90% of the freeview chans using our ourdoor aerial. Another mate who lives about 3 miles down the road has a freeview box and uses a big-arse indoor aeral bodge job, a long piece of co-ax up his wall. He also gets pretty much everything...

Guest Matt Whitfield

Thanks for that Mono - very useful.

I'm intending to use a decent indoor aerial and booster as I live in a victorian mansion block, but I could switch to an outdoor if I *really* had to - but that would mean I could only have Freeview in the front room (we have an outdoor aerial on our front balcony outside the front room) and not my bedroom - booo!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Yeah tell me about it. I can only ~just~ pick up analogue signals with my normal tuner card. Radio wasn't so bad, although i just stream that off the internet now * hugs 2meg dsl... *

Guest Firaas
My flatmate has a DVB tuner card for his PC, i was going to get one but thought i'd test my indoor aerial on his first.  Nothing, not a hint of any channel.  We live in a "high signal strength" area, and i have a top of the range one-for-all.

Yeah DVB requires hardcore signal - we had to pay £300 to have an aerial which is extended outside and above the house 'cos of the trees nearby, and the loft one just wouldn't do...

Guest Matt Whitfield
Yeah DVB requires hardcore signal - we had to pay £300 to have an aerial which is extended outside and above the house 'cos of the trees nearby, and the loft one just wouldn't do...

That's what I don't want!... and unfortunately we've got lots of *huge* trees at the front of our mansion block :-(

This is what I hate about Freeview - you have to buy an adapter and try it to find out if you have to spend loads more money on a new aerial - boooo!

Guest Firaas

Also if you have more than one telly connected to the aerial, there's a guarantee you'll need a decent outdoor aerial - DVB doesn't like it at all.

Guest HungrySPV

Guys forget your DVB's and DAB's and buy one of these new snazzy cameras !!! Panasonic SV-AV30 !! Just waiting for it to hit the UK ;)

They seem to be $200 on ebay + p&p&i