PocketTV 0.10.7 released

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest J1A1H

I finally got it working and everythin i have put a file on the memory card to see how gd it is. It looks like an amazing file and everything, but the frame rate is terrible it is not a smooth picture but its an amazing app. I don't think the spv is fast enough to play the picture. Is there a way though of improving the frame rate?

Guest The PocketTV Team
yea i will try again because at the moment it is running as little as 6 up to 9 so i will try again thanks

When you go in PocketTV > Menu > Properties, what do you see for:

- Video bitrate ?

- Video size ?

- Audio bitrate ?

Guest The PocketTV Team
video bit rate it says at how many frames a second it is on the main screen

No, that's the total bitrate (audio + video).

Go in PocketTV > Menu > Properties, what do you see for:

- Video bitrate ?

- Video size (...x...) ?

- Audio bitrate ?

Guest jabonga

guys,

where do you install the app in the phone or storage card? is it ok if i will install pocket tv in the phone memory? tnx

Guest J1A1H

The video size is 6.84 mb it is a music video. The video bit rate says variable. The audio bit rate is 64kb a second.

What does this mean is this not suitable. it also says that it is running at 29 fps in the properties but it clearly is not when it is jumping the whole time, but the sound is fine. What shall i do because i followed the instructions for everything and it still is not running problem.

Please help Thanks

Guest awarner [MVP]
Early versions of PocketTV had to be installed on a Storage Card, but it's not necessary anymore.

But it's still best to install on the Storage card as the phone only has

limited space.

Guest The PocketTV Team

> The video size is 6.84 mb

I was asking for the video size (e.g. 240x176), not the file size.

> The video bit rate says variable.

What's the total bitrate, then ? It should be less than 200 Kbit/sec for Smartphone.

> The audio bit rate is 64kb a second.

That's goo.

> What does this mean is this not suitable.

If the file is encoded with a bitrate that is to high, the file will be too large and it will not play well on a Smartphone (slow framerate).

> it also says that it is running at 29 fps in the properties

No, the property says that the nominal framerate is 29.976 fps, i.e. there are than many frame per second encoded in the file, but when you play the file, if the device is not capable of decoding all the frames, it will skip some. The actual fps is displayed on the screen when you play. If the file is encoded using the template called "Smartphone portrait 176x136 (fast)", it should play at a very high fps (equal or close to the nominal fps).

Follow the instructions in the folloing guide when you encode your videos for the Smartphone:

http://forum.pocketmovies.net/viewtopic.ph...php?p=3415#3415

> but it clearly is not when it is jumping the whole time, but the sound is fine. What shall i do because i followed the instructions for everything and it still is not running problem.

If you follow the instructions in the guide you should get a small file that plays very well. If you still have problems, it may be caused by another application that you installed on your phone. Turn your phone OFF then ON to make sure no other application is running. Some poorely written Smartphone applications are using lots of CPU cycles even when they are running in the background, and they may interact negatively with other applications.

Guest The PocketTV Team

But it's still best to install on the Storage card as the phone only has

limited space.

In fact, as long as you have available space in the phone, it does not hurt at all to install PocketTV and other applications on the phone. You should install on the phone all the applications that you use often, and the one that you may use with different storage cards.

Smartphone is not like Pocket PC, where RAM memory is shared by installed applications (storage memory) and program memory (used by applications to allocate memory when they run).

On the Smartphone, applications are installed in the flash memory (called IPSM), and this memory is only used for applications and permanent files that you put on the phone. RAM is used only for program memory.

Guest J1A1H

sorry the video size is 176x136. the total bit rate is 186 kbit/sec. Is this all normal i think it is but it is still giveing be a terrible jumpy picture is there a way of improving it

thanks

Guest awarner [MVP]

I agree and know about IPSM but it is still best to leave the phone as free as possible. Over time it is still

possible to fill the IPSM without realising it.

Saying I should install all applications that I use often on the phone, why??? it makes no difference apart from

cluttering up the phone. As for multiple storage cards all you have to do is just copy and paste the relevent files to each card so no reinstalling is involved. I use multiple cards and have never had a problem, all my

apps etc are on the SD card.

Guest The PocketTV Team
sorry the video size is 176x136. the total bit rate is 186 kbit/sec. Is this all normal i think it is but it is still giveing be a terrible jumpy picture is there a way of improving it

thanks

That's strange. With those parameters, it should play perfectly, very smoothly, with more that 20 fps.

Have you installed anything else on your phone ?

Guest The PocketTV Team

> Saying I should install all applications that I use often on the phone, why??? it makes no difference apart from cluttering up the phone.

If you just have the phone but don't have the Storage Card with the apps you use often, you won't be able to run it!

For example, I install the basic stuff (file manager etc) on the phone, so that when I change the Storage Card, they are still there.

Of course if you have only one Storage Card, and it's always in your phone, then you can install all your apps on it.

> As for multiple storage cards all you have to do is just copy and paste the relevent files to each card so no reinstalling is involved.

In general this does not work and it is not advised. Many applications, when they install from their CAB or Setup file, setup the Phone's registry with informations that can include the full pathname where the application is installed.

For example, if an application sets-up a file association so that you can open the files from a file explorer, moving the application will cause the file association to be lost (i.e. the files will have a generic icon and selecting them won't start the application, because the binary location has changed and the registry points to the old location). Other similar problems can occur.

> I use multiple cards and have never had a problem, all my

apps etc are on the SD card.

Moving binaries around only work with simple applications that don't set-up anything in the registry.

If you move around complex applications like PocketTV, you may break things like file association etc (and not notice it right away).

We recommend against moving applications around without re-installing them. You can do that but at your own risks.

Guest Simon Desser

All I do is install everything on the card, then if I change cards, I make an exact copy of my program files from one card to the other. This has always worked for me, and can't see why any registry settings are relevant, as they're stored on the phone?

Guest The PocketTV Team
All I do is install everything on the card, then if I change cards, I make an exact copy of my program files from one card to the other. This has always worked for me, and can't see why any registry settings are relevant, as they're stored on the phone?

As long as you make an exact copy of the card and all the files end up in the same folders, that should work.

But moving an application between a Storage Card and the phone's memory by copying the files is not advised. Not only will break the shortcut in the Home Programs list (easy to fix), but it may break things in the registry (e.g. file associations).

It is always safer to re-install the application rather than move the files using a file explorer.

Guest awarner [MVP]
If you just have the phone but don't have the Storage Card with the apps you use often, you won't be able to run it!
And the chances of that is? let's see how much you can put on the phone without having a card :roll:

For example, I install the basic stuff (file manager etc) on the phone, so that when I change the Storage Card, they are still there.

As long as you make an exact copy of the card and all the files end up in the same folders, that should work.

That's what we have both just said :roll:

If you move around complex applications like PocketTV, you may break things like file association etc (and not notice it right away).

We recommend against moving applications around without re-installing them.  You can do that but at your own risks.

All I will say is that I have been

using the phone and doing the metod above for close to seven months

so "and not notice it straight away" I have still not noticed anything

straight away after said months? guess it's not long enough then :lol:

As usual you are not listening to other peoples views so lets not go off

topic anymore. I'm sure your right and know everything possible to do with the smartphone :roll:

Last comment as it's going to be a let's go round in circles again post

otherwise.

Guest J1A1H

I have other programs like ia album pocket slide show. moto cross the game. a ring tone. a different home screen. thats it really. i am not sure what i should do. i installed the program onto the phone not the memory card but it still should be fine i am not sure wat i should do? whatdo u think? thanks

Guest The PocketTV Team
I have other programs like ia album pocket slide show. moto cross the game. a ring tone. a different http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>home screen. thats it really. i am not sure what i should do. i installed the program onto the phone not the memory card but it still should be fine i am not sure wat i should do? whatdo u think? thanks

As long as you have ample storage memory on the phone, there is no problem installing apps on the phone itself.

But if you prefer installing then on a Storage Card, you can do that too.

To see the available storage memory on the phone, go to Home Programs > Settings > About, and look at "Available Storage".

Guest wilky

Just wanted to say I only downloaded this out as my windows media player decoder fudged up however I`ve had no problems and even though the files are a little bigger I`ve had zero problem running it on my spv and just orangised a mate to download it onto his compaq,

Cheers for the templates though as would have been stuffed without them !

Guest J1A1H

I have 4mb on my phone. i think that is fine. i might delete it then put the program back on and see if that makes a difference should i try that? thanks for the replies

Guest The PocketTV Team

What's new in BETA-40:

- Fixed a problem that could occur when pressing the HOME button while playing in Fullscreen.

- Fixed a numbers of small issues related to seeking and audio (seeking to the beginning of a file would sometimes loose the first audio packet, seeking toward the end of a file would sometimes discard the audio)

- Added a Help command in the menu (currently just a small Info box pointing to our MPEG encoging guide).

- Uses a new version of the tGetFile file selector. You can use the right and left arrow to go up-and down folders when using the Details view. You can also Rename and Delete files.