PocketTV 0.10.7 released

Guest The PocketTV Team

Guest ajb3000

Here's an example, it was encoded with TMPGEnc using the guide, but I changed a few settings to make it higher quality in an attempt to remove the artifacting (it is still present when encoding exactly according to your guide). Look very carefully at the dark parts of the picture, and the black frames when it fades to black. On Windows Media Player 9, they are pure black, whereas on PocketTV there are artifacts.

I am using the latest version of PocketTV classic.

I'm not sure what device you have or how smoothly it will play, but it still plays at a constant 24FPS on the E200.

Spider-Man 2(5).zip

Guest The PocketTV Team

> I changed a few settings

What setting did you change ?

If you changed the number of P-frames between I-frames, then you can get a drift caused by IDCT approximations used by PocketTV (for efficiency reasons).

We recommend to keep no more than 5 P-frames between I-frames to prevent drifting or pulsing.

Guest ajb3000

The only things I changed were the dimensions (removed 8 pixels each way), and upped the bitrate. I get the artifacting when using your settings exactly as well. Turning on dithering makes it more apparent, but it's still there with it off.

Guest maxh2003
On Windows Media Player 9, they are pure black, whereas on PocketTV there are artifacts

- are you sure this isn't just the difference between the CRT monitor on your PC, and the powerfully-lit LCD screen on your phone? I suggest turning the brightness on your monitor up to the absolute maximum, then playing the video - you might suddenly be able to see the artifacts.

Guest The PocketTV Team

Yes, that may be the major reason for which you see those artifacts in the black areas on your Smartphone.

You can try to reduce the visibility of those artefacts by adjusting the levels with the advanced options (Custom color correction) of TMPGEnc.

Guest ajb3000

I have tried it on a TFT and it still looks pure black to me, plus at a bit rate of 250kbps, you'd expect it to be able to render black without artifacts. The same video clip (but in divx format) on beta player displays the pure black scenes correctly, but it keeps dropping frames and hence, isn't as smooth.

Guest The PocketTV Team

I think the problem you have may be an encoder-related issue.

In TMPGEnc, go in Settings > Advanced and double-click "Custom Color Correction". Select "Show Histogram, and select "YCrCb" in the histogram window.

Check that the histogram for the scene that has the artifacts is correct, i.e. that the left part of the histogram touches the left part of the histogram window (i.e. check that black is coded as black).

If that is not the case, you can correct that: click "Add", select "Type YUV" and adjust the various settings for Y until the histogram looks correct.

Guest ajb3000

It's not a problem with the encoding.... The video looks perfect when played back on the PC (even with an LCD display and the video stretched to 200%), it's only on PocketTV that it artifacts. If you watch the video, you will also notice the artifacts are in the shape of the previous image (i.e. it's not refreshing black images properly). I have done what you said in TMPGEnc, and black is being encoded as black.

Guest The PocketTV Team

Have you tried playing the same file on your device using another MPEG player, e.g. PocketMVP ?

What does it looks like with the other player ?

Guest elhornet

This is working really well on my E200. One thing I was wondering though, when I convert avi > mpeg using the templates you suggested, the mpeg seems to come out with no sound?

Am I supposed to put the avi file in both Video and Audio file section of TMPGEnc?

Guest The PocketTV Team
This is working really well on my E200. One thing I was wondering though, when I convert avi > mpeg using the templates you suggested, the mpeg seems to come out with no sound?

Am I supposed to put the avi file in both Video and Audio file section of TMPGEnc?

Yes.

When you select the Video AVI source file using the "Browse" button, it should fill-up the same AVI file name in the Audio source. If it does not, try entering the same file name manually.

Guest elhornet

Cool thanks.

All in all this is a fantastic app. I sure got some weird looks from the guy sitting next to me on the train while watching some TV shows I'd loaded up :D

Guest ajb3000

PocketMVP will not play the file (comes up with an message saying audio error, loads the first frame and refuses to play), and I do not know of any other MPG players...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest elhornet

Havent used this for a while but can't seem to get any fps faster than 4 now.

I don't know what happened, I remember it being around 17 before :D

Guest barkythedog

altenatively use betaplayer much smoother much faster altogether a much much better player and should have mpeg soon aswell then the player will have everything covered as nothing currently touches it and its free no registration etc check it out mate youll never look back, the dog

Guest ajb3000

I take it nothing is going to be done about the artifacting then? I would just use betaplayer but it appears to be dropping a lot of frames which is causing jerky playback.

• 8 months later...
Guest skiba2

Keep up the good work "The PocketTV Team" :D

i dont mind waiting while this issue gets sorted out :D ive been using it for a good while but reading this post will holdonto my movies on my c500 till this is sorted.

take ur time we all got lives outside our pc's / phones :D