SmartAmp v0.02 ALPHA 1 Released - MOD/XM/IT/S3M Player!

Guest frijj2k

Guest neilfenstein

Maybe im thick but am I the only person reading this thread thinking WTF are these file extensions? I have never heard of these before and a quick explanation of what they are and why you are using them not more obvious wma or mp3 file types.

Guest midnight

they are module formats as used by the amiga originally, then the pc, they are common music formats used in the demo scene, mainly due to the size.

the difference is that the tunes are 'arranged', and contain several wav files (for drums, bass, lead etc), using these the musician creates the tune.

the ideal use for these is game making on the mobile platform, a good example of which is boxy pocket, which contains 17 'chip' tunes (in xm format), if these where to be mp3's you'd be looking at 100mb just for the game.

basically, the people wanting this player are either listening to old game/demo tunes and are feeling rather nostalgic, or, are people involved in the current demo scene.

speaking personally, i'd like to see a SID player (Commodore 64 music format)

Guest PsychoDave

Commie 64 tunes. Man can we get the black and white plastic piano keyboard to fit over the spv keys too.

I had one of those on my c64. It was total pants but i loved it anyway. :) ;)

Don't know if i can bear to listen to the tunes i wrote with it tho. might just be too much to jandle {cringe} :oops:

*downloads* wait .. it doesnt support mp3?? *cancels download*

what are MOD, IT, XM, S3M file formats anyway? ive never heard of those in my life

Guest frijj2k

It will support MP3 on next release...

Until then I have put a couple of screenshots on my website for you to look at...

I still need an interface graphic designing if somebody would like to have a go.

Note how mine lists all formats (No problems with IT or S3M) Dunno why a couple of you have had this problem. Will try and resolve it in next release.

The image URL's are:

http://frijj2k.sphosting.com/smartamp1.jpg

http://frijj2k.sphosting.com/smartamp2.jpg

Dave :)

Guest jaknife2000

The file types that you are referring too are old school sound files.

Basically late 80's when things like the Commodore Amiga where at the height of home computing, lots of demo's came out, with swirly cool graphics and cool tunes.

The tunes where small file sizes and were primarily written in a "Tracker" application of some sort.

The were serveral tracker apps of the time, and as people moved over to the PC scene these old school musicians moved over too, and such "Tracker" apps followed.

MOD - Earliest of the sound formats supports 4 concurrent tracks at once. Stereo. All sorts of programs used this i thing "Soundtracker" was one of the first.

IT - Impluse tracker / Inersia Tracker. An extention on the existing MOD file but supports more concurrent tracks.

XM and S3M all the same type of thing using "Fast Tracker", "Scream Tracker" and lots of others.

Basically the way the apps work, and they are still available now, with things like "Mod Plug Tracker" and more up to date apps like "Fruityloops",

you add samples, "Wav's" etc to the tunes, then each sample has a reference number, so for example a bass drum might be instrument 1, and a snare instrument 2, now using this theory you then add the instrument to each of the tracks / channels, thus not needing lots of sounds, you can them alter speakers, volumes, ramps etc of the individual occurance of the sample.

This might be a little complicated to understand, basically they are old school formats, that are still used a lot in the world now, sights such as "www.modarchive.com" list lots of tracks, and "www.modplug.com" provide players / trackers, all of the above formats WILL play in things like Winamp.

They are still very popular now, the file sizes make them a lot smaller than MP3's or Wav's so they are commonly used for game tunes etc.

I hope this explains it a little for you.

Guest midnight

erm, thought i'd sent this to you, but anyways......

modplayer.jpg

if you want me to finish it off/give you all graphics for buttons etc. just let me know (and i'll change the name of it of course)

Guest PsychoDave
Wouldnt a full multi-format AV player be nice... ;-)

http://frijj2k.sphosting.com

Can't see many people being interested in that. 8) 8) 8) 8) :) ;)

{picks himself up of floor}

Im already hated by my mates cos I show off my phone constantly, but a full A/V player. Man I'll be friendless :D But at least I'll have my SPV

:( :( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Guest neilfenstein

I dont know about a full A/V program but people would go crazy (me esspecially) for a program that will play songs/tunes in the order they are intended. I have a mix album ive just put on my spv and when it shuffles the tracks it is annoying.

Also if you combined the programs you would have to make sure that you didn't compromise any of the smoothness of the playing in Pocket MVP!!

All that it is really missing is a play list or order selector function. :wink:

Guest frijj2k

Will develop audio side of SmartAmp first and get that to a good working state with playlist etc... Then will have a go at putting the video code in...

One thing at a time ;-)

Guest neilfenstein

Nice one, I cant see the screenshots of smartAMP but by the sound of it a graphic eq and the likes along with playlist and the amount of sound file types playable should make it one to beat :)

Just frustrated i dont know how to program id love to have a go at all this development lark. :roll:

• 1 month later...
Guest Matt Whitfield

jaknife2000, what path worked for you in the end? I keep on trying different paths and rebooting my phone but no luck... :?

Any help appreciated!

Guest Matt Whitfield

Surely someone got SmartAmp to work??? Can anyone tell me what path they used to get it to pick up files??

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Xpressive
speaking personally, i'd like to see a SID player (Commodore 64 music format)

Yeaah! Pleeeeease! Let it support the good old Commodore SID files! I am using the SID plugin with my WinAmp player (on the PC) and love listen to them! It would be fantastic to hear them on the phone, too!! Would this be possible? I downloaded over 2000(!) C64 song files from the web and can't wait to put them all on the phone (they're quite small in file size) :)

BTW: if you're still looking for a nice skin -what about the smart, smooth silver-colored skin that is also available for the Pocket MPV player? It looks quite nice!

Guest madu

Bring on mp3 files!! :)

IMHO it seems that frijj had forgotten all about it.... There were promises of Stopwatch release, SnakeSP etc.. Have not heard from the man for ages now... shame really