Dope Wars

Guest youngerpants

Guest CodesRaider

The dopewar source codes are posted in the first message of this forum by youngerpants. Just in case anyone still missed it,

http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/research/PRO...DOORS/DOPEWARS/

By the way, I haven't look into the source codes yet. No idea if it works or not. I am still in the process of installing the eVC++ 4. :)

Decided to use eVC++ because the codes are in eVC++ already. It will be easier to port from a PocketPC platform to SmartPhone platform, even though I prefer .NET. :P

Guest midnight

no pocketpc source there i'm afraid, and the only pocketpc source we did find was corrupt, as i suggested, if anyone wants to start this, then the best bet would be to mail the author of the PPC port, i'm sure he'll be willing to help.

erm guys - the first post in this thread has the ppc source code in it, and it does compile for ppc

but it needs some work to make it compile for smartphone

oh, and this does not mean I'm taking it on, I'm busy with some other stuff atm :)

Guest beersoft

i'll have a look at the source after i have at least on of my current projects done,

and yes muff, shouldn't you be busy working out boob jiggle coefficency or some other complicated thing so we can all enjoy kumite before crimbo?

later

Owen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CodesRaider

Hi guys (and gals),

I'm about 50% done on the porting now. The smartphone app can Jet/Buy/Sell and harrassed by Officer HardAss and fight him!!! :)

Hang on there... Give me another 2 or 3 weeks.

Preview on the app requirements:

1. Smartphone 2003 (need .NET framework)

2. Not application-locked phone.

Sorry that I need to use .NET to do this. I know that the app will be a bit slower than using eVC++ 4.0 but it is so much harder to do in eVC++, as I found out after trying it for about 1 week.

Guest CodesRaider

SP2002 does not support .NET application. I'm really sorry dude. :)

The reason is that I can't get my eVC++ working properly. Apparently my desktop has some problem. I think it needs reformatting now but this will take time. So I decided to use .NET instead of eVC++.

Now the good news:

I have the DopeWars installed into my MPX200. Am testing it now. All functionalities are there except for saving of high scores.

However, I got 2 options to save the high scores:

1. Use the registry

- Not visible to user and slightly harder to modify. Scores gone if you hard reset.

2. Use a XML file in /Storage/Application Data/DopeWars

- Visible to user and easily modified. Scores saved in a file. Backup the file before hard reset.

Maybe I can start a poll here and see what is the best option.

Guest CodesRaider

I'm kinda agree with McHale about the reg gets bloated. But personally, I prefer to store it in reg. We have 1 vote each (my vote doesn't count).

Question than if it's stored in the reg? If you uninstall the game, will it remain in the reg? I frequently go through my reg and delete entries that should have been removed when I removed the game but wasn't.

Out of curiosity, who cares if someone wants to edit the xml file and edit the high score table? There isn't going to be a money competition or anything. Everybody knows that the high score table is edit-able...

Also, a screwed up .xml file may ruin the game and you have to delete it or reinstall it. A screwed up .reg file may required a hard reset to make the phone work again if something happens during the high score update. Man, I'm *SO* against this one...

-Mc

Guest midnight

why does it even matter? surely its just a coder decision, i dont get what the big deal is, adding some reg entries to the phone doesnt slow it down, and i've never heard of an app screwing the reg up in any way, like i said, coder decision as to which way 'that coder' prefers to save scores.

The debate between XML and reg has nothing to do with encryption, you can use encryption in xml, i was just adding it as a suggestion.

A bloated reg file will slow down a pc, ppc, or a smartphone. It's almost the same as having a HUGE windows temp folder. If you don't clean it out once in a while, things slow down. Once you clean it up, things go faster.

And I have seen apps (especially in beta form) hose a PC and a PPC because writing to the regsitry corrupted it. It does happen. It can happen. I'm just against taking the chance.

To give some background, I'm one of those old DOS guys that liked it when an app installed all files into it's own folder instead of all over the place so it's impossible to delete them all on your own.

I think .xml would be easier and it certainly would be safer. I'm one of those "eliminate all the possibilities" guys.

But, agreed. It's the coder's decision and I doubt anyone is going to complain how anything is implemented. Just my .02 since he asked for opinions...

-Mc

Guest chucky.egg

I'm kinda like McHale there... when I write apps I almost always use INI files, partly cos I'm lazy and have pre-built code for that, and partly because I want people to know that my apps won't touch their registry (a lot of people are very suspicious of apps that change the registry)

Having said that I don't think it really makes any odds. If you trust the app/developer then there's no problem, after all most apps now use the reg

Guest CodesRaider

Thank you so much for your comments/suggestions. Really appreciate it.

After much consideration and opting to play it safe, I'll use the xml file approach. :)

By the way, I'm doing away all the Save/Open game functionalities for the Smartphone version. Reason being is that I want to keep the app small and simple. Don't wish to overload the phone and see the out of memory exception.

Guest CodesRaider

Hi guys/gals,

Just to let you know that I am still working on the porting. I'm using eVC++ now instead of .NET. Bad choice using .NET for Windows Mobile. Slow and memory-intensive and thus, consume more power.

It's progressing well. Hang on there! 8)