my Tanager went DEAD!

Guest dinoalbert

Guest dinoalbert

I unsinstalled the skin LCDAnalog2 w/ plug-in, then asked me to restart my phone, so I switched it off, BUT then when I tried to turn it on again, nothing happens, the phone wont turn on...its dead. At first I thought it must have a drained battery, but when I plugged the charger, still nothing happens, the LED indicator wont even light up.

What do you think happened to my smartphone? Please advise...

Guest grifter

hmm.. strange. i did the exact thing (installed/uninstalled LCDAnalog2 plugin) but my SAP is still alive.

try doing the hard reset sequence to see if it turns on to the bootloader screen. if not, maybe it's time to take it to SMART wireless center.

HTH.

cheers.

Guest dinoalbert

cant hard reset either...cant get the bootloader screen...the phone is indeed dead. I sent it to Smart unfortunately its more than a month now so they just took it for repair.....gave me a service unit, a Nokia8250!!! arrrgggh!!! :x

ganda ganda ng cellphone ko kahapon lang.....ngayon 8250 nalang...parang ginto naging bato! kainis!

Guest dinoalbert

still at Brightpoint.... Smart said that it may take 2-3 weeks! Grabe ang tagal nga. I hope anyone here knows someone inside Smart to help me rush my Tanager repair.

thats why I cant join this Saturday's Smartphone users meeting..baka mainggit lang ako kse naka nokia8250 (Smart service unit) lang ako :cry:

Guest grifter

may bad experience pa naman ako with Brightpoint before when I had my 7110 repaired. :lol:

baka pinadala pa nila yun sa Taiwan. hehe...

Guest dinoalbert

whew! finally...after 9 days, I got my SAP back from Smart/Brightpoint...they replaced my board with a brand new one directly from the manufacturer for free!

Brightpoint said, although they can repair my phone, they prefer to replace it with a brand new to avoid back jobs....

got another problem though... I dont know how to describe it..the color is different from other SAPs, I mean its a little darker in contrast and its not that smooth, I can see the dots when viewing a picture or video. The difference is obvious only when I start comparing it side by side with another SAP

called up Brightpoint and they told me to bring it back to them directly so I dont have to wait again for a week if I send it thru Smart. They said they might replace it again with another board (they have ordered a lot from HTC) and fix the problem right there and then...

Guest grifter

@dinoalbert,

may just need some sort of contrast adjustment. maybe there's some sort of system menu like in the SE phones to control contrast.

did you notice any dust particles on the LCD screen when you hold the SAP under a bright light?

Guest grifter

hmmm... i guess brightpoint is improving. hehe... any sign of mishandling? e.g., new dents, new scratches on screen, etc.

as for the system menu, i haven't read anything abt it if there's such a thing. perhaps only service center personnel can do that via a "Service Software" or something.

Guest dinoalbert

no sratches and dents so far...I guess they handled my phone well enough BUT you are right, I just saw a couple of dust particles inside my screen now :D

anyway, I went back to Brightpoint this morning to have my phone checked again....told them about the contrast/color problem.... they fixed it right away and after an hour, I got my phone back....according to them they replace my LCD..... my phone is okay now, they color/contrast is back to normal and I am in love again with my Tanager :lol:

Guest grifter

that's good! :lol:

How many dust particles did you see? Might have my keypad replaced next week. Silver paint just chipped off. DANG! :D

I guess the worksmanship on the keypad sucks!

• 3 months later...
Guest mlkanapi

Hey Dino,

I have the same thing happen to me this morning. My SAP didn't want to boot up or even show any indication it was charging.

I was trying out the I-Mate ROM and didn't quite like it because it appeared as if it was unable to read my Globe SIM. (It read something like invalid SIM...).

It was in the process of going back to the 0.93 bootloader when after taking off the battery and waiting for 30 seconds when it just refused to power on. :evil:

I brought it to BP this afternoon and even met a few SAP users who were having their keypads replaced.

Bad news... No parts available. The board has to be replaced and the shipment from Taiwan will arrive on Friday. That's 6 days from now! I hope it clears customs really quick.

I just hope they don't mess up the screen again :!:

Guest dinoalbert

thats sad!

anyway okay na yung 6 days...kase nung sa akin, umabot ng more than 1 week bago dumating yung board....pero okay yan kase parang bago na ulit ang phone mo, papalitan nila ng brand new board that comes with a new IMEI number...luma nga lang ang exterior ;)

Guest mlkanapi

OO nga, I not sure if this has happened to others. I stake claim to number 2 victim. ;)

Did they charge you for labor when this happened to you Dino?

My SAP is 6 months old and I really hope they replace the casing and soft keys para mukhang bago pa!

Only problem is I might request my brother-in-law to pick up the unit if it will be finished on a weekday.

He might not be that aware of what to look for in terms of lint or finger prints in the inside of the lens or a banged up casing from the process of opening it up...

I really miss the phone.

Guest mlkanapi

Thanks marilolouis.

Maybe I'll busy myself setting up the phones of my friends...

I know of 2 to 3 more guys whose phones I have been asked to install some programs into... ;)

The same thing happened to my phone a month ago. I brought it to BP and it took almost three weeks before it was repaired because they had no available replacement boards.