Emulater or XML viewer..

Guest ChrisB

Guest drblow

:) :o :P

It's a rockin!!!

Thanks alot there guys - whatever the problem was it's fixed now, & the app looks great!

Now what I'm going to do is test loads of xml files, & then start annoying you blokes with more stoopid questions, & requests for new features!! :wink:

Cheers!

Guest drblow

OK then!!

I still can't open my own xml files. I'm doing a skin at the minute here

& when I try to open it in the viewer, I get the old 'unknown color : color_hometext

I have copied the xml & all images into the Home folder in the viewer.

??????????????????????

Guest Speedy

All i get when i try to open my own is "document root element missing"

just put my xml and the bg image in the root dir.

A pointer to what i might be doing wrong would be great.

Guest Deemon

Speedy does it work with the 2 skins provided ?

DrBlow....im still not sure why you are getting that error. That error is related to the first version of the previewer...Can u post your xml here for Chris to take a look at ?

cheers

All i get when i try to open my own is "document root element missing"  
Speedy does it work with the 2 skins provided ?

Im having the same problem as speedy. altho the 2 included skins work ok. i copied the ukmspim.home.xml file from the windows dir on the fone and tried to open it in the program but i get that document root element error, am i missing something?

Cheers

Guest Deemon

as ive said several times in this thread its only been tested with these two apps....so youre probably not missing anything no..it just doesnt currently work with this new skin.

please bear with us...Chris will be looking at this as soon as he can.

We basically need to expand the scope of the tool. The spv homescreens can be quite different and use different plugins, layouts and styles... we just need to make sure that we can cope with them all....

ill get Chris to check the thread now and see what he says

Guest mrzap

Ok, found the colour problem. The viewer is getting to your use of COLOR_HOMETEXT in the default tag, before the colour is actually defined in the scheme tag.

Just need to change the parser to skip to the scheme tag and parse that first before it does anything else.

Guest mrzap

Ok, here's the latest fixes.

droblow's mixer skin now loads, but it doesn't appear to behave correctly. Can you let me know how it's supposed to work? I assume some of the plugins overlap, so we need to work out what in XML specifies this so the viewer can cope.

The 'Document root node' error is down to problems with the XML itself. The ukmspim file for instance has three non-ascii characters at the start which is causing the error. Other XML problems like invalid characters and mismatched tags will give similar errors.

Anyway, let's see how this one goes...

(Just the JAR file updated again, so you need the previous version's files if you don't have them)

HomeScreenViewer.zip

changelog.txt

Guest drblow

OK - I'm getting my mixer skin to open, but it is not behaving correctly as you say. I get the image for the first plugin (missed calls) but no other images or text appears.

The skin contains these plugins, in this order - MISSED CALLS, SHORTCUT TO CALLFACE, ICONBAR, CARRIER, ICONBAR, CARRIER [these appear twice as the shortcut has a full screen image attatched to the top carrier plugin & I had to include the iconbar & carrier plugins again to keep the screen looking the same when scrolling down - know what I mean?? Check the skin in your phone if you don't follow me!] MESSAGE COUNT, CALENDAR, MRU.

Each plugin has an image attached which shows on 'selected' status. The plugins are not meant to overlap - the top carrier plugin has an image 180x176 [this is so that it covers the background image with an image for the shortcut plugin, but leaves the iconbar at the top]. The rest of the plugins then just follow on below each other, but do not overlap.

Have a look at the xml file. & if I have made a really dumb xml then by all means let me know how to make it better!!!!! :wink:

Guest mrzap

The problem is the plugins are so big they quickly fall off the bottom of the screen, so the viewer is handling them, you just can't see them. As it works on the phone, I assume the phone must be wrapping the plugins when they hit the bottom of the screen. This works ok, but the later plugins don't line up with the background image.

I can fix it by getting the viewer to wrap at 210, but as the accessable area is 200 high, and the phone itself is 220, this seems an odd number.

The 20 missing height might be from one of the other plugins. I'm particularly suspicious of the zero height second plugin. (winamp) Is it really zero height? or does that get overridden in some way (like from the .lnk file) If that plugin were really 20 high, then it should all work ok.

I know Deemon has had problems with some plugins overriding their height values and producing strange results between the phone and the viewer.

Guest drblow

em... the 0 height plugin is the shortcut to callface. it is meant to be 0 height, so that the image attatched to the carrier shows up. this is all due to the fact that shortcut plugins will not show images.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Deemon

Chris remind me to show you my LCARS homescreen...basically you can have a plugin the size of the screen. then when you scroll to the next plugin in its like you are changing the whole page. my lcars one like Drblows mixer one is several pages of info

Guest drblow

Have you got this skin working on the viewer??

My mixer skin really only has 2 fullscreen images - 1 to cover the shortcut, & then the other main background. But the total scrollable area of mine is only the main 200 height of the screen (know what I mean?? God, I find it so difficult to clearly explain what I mean coz what little knowledge I have on xml comes from just mucking about & no real sense - if you know what I mean!? :wink: )

Although, I'm just thinking - I never really count the missed calls plugin coz it's not seen all the time - but I guess with that, it would make 3 full screen images! The shortcut image is 180 height, but is attatched to the carrier - I don't know why this is, I nicked the code from Celsol (I did ask him!!), but it was the only way to get an image to show up for the shortcut If you read the xml file you'll see what I mean.

I hope some of this is making sense to you guys, & is of some help!

Ok, gone over this again with Deemon's lcars skin as well, and my 210 wrap frig is most definately wrong. I've changed the way the viewer wraps though that could be a decent fix.

The '210' way was to just draw the plugins one after the other, and then effectively chop the result into 210 high bits and call each a page. The new way is to reset the next plugin Y position back to zero each time the last plugin reached (or passed) 200.

This seems to work ok for both mixer and lcars.

eg. lcars

iconbar (20)

sysplug.dll (200) [end of page 1 - 220 high]

msgcount (200) [end of page 2 - 200 high]

MRU (200) [end of page 3 - 200 high]

profile (200) [end of page 4 - 200 high]

calendar (200) [end of page 5 - 200 high]

eg. mixer

missedcalls (200)

winamp (0) [end of page 1 - 200 high]

iconbar (20)

carrier (200) [end of page 2 - 220 high]

iconbar (20)

carrier (32)

smscount (47)

calendar (52)

sysplug.dll (46) [end of page 3 - 197 high]

The only question here is, what about those pages that are over 200 in size? Should the plugins really be that size?

Anyway... new version coming soon I hope.

Guest drblow
eg. mixer

missedcalls (200)

winamp (0) [end of page 1 - 200 high]iconbar (20)

iconbar (20)

carrier (32)

smscount (47)

calendar (52)

The only question here is, what about those pages that are over 200 in size? Should the http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plug-ins really be that size?

Anyway... new version coming soon I hope.

I'm not sure if this is the answer to your question - but for my mixer skin, the pages only ever total 220 maximum - which is the 200 height accessible area for plugins + the 20 height for the iconbar. I know mine may seem a bit strange, with the carrier appearing twice, & the first being 200 height, but as I've said before, this is to attatch an image to the carrier which shows up on screen to indicate that the shortcut (winamp) is active. This was the only way I was able to actually get an image to show up indicating that the shortcut was active.

The plugins have to be that size for the homescreen to flow smoothly between images. My perception of the skin is more that page 1 is missed calls, page 2 is winamp shortcut, iconbar & carrier, page 3 is iconbar, carrier, msg count, calendar & MRU.

I'm trying to be as clear as possible, but it's not easy! I have no real coding knowledge at all - just ripping off other people's xml code & bunging it together with my own images really!! :oops:

Unfortunately, all the xml's I have worked on are more complex than the average simple homescreens, so I have nothing else to check the viewer with!!

Hopefully we'll get there in the end! & I hope I am being of some help??

Guest tormod

What are I’m doing wrong?

I’m doing my first attempt to make a homescreen, and just to try and learn I’m just editing on one of the great homescreens from kl1wdr.

I install the java viewer, like it’s told in this thread, and I start the bat file.

Everything looks like it working, I get up the java window but when I’ll try to open a xml file from the file->open menu I get a message box that “asks”:

Bad XML format?

XML dectaration may only begin entities.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

The file I’m trying to open is in the:

Homescreen->ISPN->Application Data->home folder.

Guest Deemon

read the instructions again.

the XML file goes into the HOMESCREEN folder.

Any plugin images go into the IPSMApplication DataHome folder

So you are trying to load the xml from the wrong place

hmm... ok, so winamp moves down a page, but we still end up with the same uneven page lengths:

eg. mixer

missedcalls (200) [end of page 1 - 200 high]

winamp (0)

iconbar (20)

iconbar (20)

carrier (32)

smscount (47)

calendar (52)

If the pages are all 220 high, what makes up the missing 20 from the first and 23 from the last? Is the phone adding stuff automatically that I don't know about?

Also, afaik from Deemon, you can only specify 200 high, as the bottom 20 is always used by the buttons.

interesting... checking your image sizes throws up a couple of inconsistencies.

The first carrier graphic is only 180 high, not 200, and the last sysplug.dll graphic is 49 high, not 46. If the XML were changed to reflect this, everything would suddenly all fall into place:

eg. mixer

missedcalls (200) [end of page 1 - 200 high]

winamp (0)

iconbar (20)

carrier (180) [end of page 2 - 200 high]

iconbar (20)

carrier (32)

smscount (47)

calendar (52)

sysplug.dll (49) [end of page 3 - 200 high]

Can you give it a try and see if your skin still works on the phone?