Change keypad LED to blue + jlowap Blue LED Mod

Guest djkat

Guest James

wrong paint mate. simple as that. mine was dry in 20 mins. i think i said what paint i used back on this topic, its in rs. if you dont have an rs account then you can go to an rs trade counter. (EDIT: i think?)

Guest awarner [MVP]
its in rs. he you dont have an rs account then you can in to an rs trade counter.

I thought you still had to have an account to use the trade counter :?

I've always had to quote one.

Guest James

Just got it to work and see the pic...

it does not look as bright in the middle as mine?

it will always look a bit dimmer in the middle becaue of only using 4 LED's. but if you use 6 LED's the blue will be dimmer.

Guest siu99spj
wrong paint mate. simple as that. mine was dry in 20 mins. i think i said what paint i used back on this topic, its in rs. if you dont have an rs account then you can go to an rs trade counter. (EDIT: i think?)

Just been through ALL 7 pages. No mention of what type of paint you used. Can you give us any info. Really like to know what type of paint you used. Also gonna try the LED mod at somepoint. First of all, gotta convince myself pulling aprt my SPV is a GOOD thing...

Then again, installed Afterburner in GBA so how bad can it be? And if I LED mod BEFORE I spray, might be able to get Orange to change of loss of LEDs.

How do you stop/reduce the dust build-up too?

Guest awarner [MVP]

It was mentioned in another post :)

the secret is the prep and paint.

Prep with FE10 solvent to remove sh**.

Paint with RS Matt black 496-782 (three thin coates)

Guest James
Just been through ALL 7 pages. No mention of what type of paint you used. Can you give us any info. Really like to know what type of paint you used.
RS 496-782 Matt Black

Also gonna try the LED mod at somepoint. First of all, gotta convince myself pulling aprt my SPV is a GOOD thing...

Its Not! :wink:

might be able to get Orange to change of loss of LEDs.
You what?

How do you stop/reduce the dust build-up too?

i heard someone saying somthing about using 'blutack' and put a very thin ring all away round the screen! and looking at the construction of the internals i think this would work!!!

Guest moomoomoo

I highly recommend anyone wanting to have their LEDs changed should hand their phone over to a professional. It is very difficult to do, and there are a number of risks involved. 1) there's the risk of damaging the screen. 2) there's the risk of scratching the case when opening. Plus, orange aren't going to be very happy about repairing a phone that's been opened, has some blue leds in it, and cheap solder all over the place :)

Guest awarner [MVP]

I think you have missed the main risk :)

buggering up the phone when soldering.

as for the case it's pretty easy to get off when you know the knack.

Guest moomoomoo

with this simple led mod there's not much that can go wrong as a result of soldering, the only components are the leds and resistors. It's possible to burn the keypad membrane of course... that could cause some problems. I'd think the worst that could happen is the leds stop working. That would happen as a result of too much heat being applied, killing the pads, or ripping up the copper tracks. All who want new leds, send your phone to jilo! :)

Guest James

OK, i am going to post a new post that will include all the info you need on one page so the mods can delet all the rubish and it will become alot better to find the info you you want in this thread.................. just give me a day or two.

cheers

Guest James

This post is a diary of the steps I have taken to modify my SPV backlight to Blue LED’s

The posts have been taken for a number of other posts compiled together over about a week…………..this will compress the thread and make it much easier to find information.

There is a Guide at the bottom of this post to download…

Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:27 pm

Just to let you guys know that i took my SPV apart to look at changing the LED's and after having a bit of a look it looked quite hard to modify the circuit without actual having the schematics of the SPV.

Green LED's = 2.2V

Blue LED's = 3.5 or 3.8V

so i just sprayed my case and put i back together again..............

AND NO DUST!!!!!

Use RS spray paint 496-782 and prepare the case with FE10 Solvent cleaner. BUT only use solvent on the silver case NOT on the screen!!

Image3.jpg

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:32 am

I have e-mailed the ModFather and got a reply this morning:-

hi... i got the l.e.d's fitted at a phone shop near me, they took a while to

get the leds in, however i found now that it may have been a not so worthwhile

mod, as the lights do not work at all anymore... im unsure as to claim on

warranty. i currently am not using my spv hence my dissapearing act from modaco.

i can look into what leds were used if u r interested, the phone shop says i

may have blown a resistor or something, maybe a mod is in need like on 3210

bridgin the resistor to increase current..

sorry for my lack of help... lol

regards

ModFather

my quest continues.............

Bridging the resistors!!! i cant believe thats good!

Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:24 pm

Another Update... and a WARNING!

1. i took the thing apart again today to measure the voltage on the LEDs and took some pictures (pic 1 and 2).

2. when i put it back togeter i used a tissue with FE10 solvent cleaner on my screen to cleen it!!! ARRRRR! it did not like that! see pic3. the dark patches are caused by the solvent eating away at the plastic inner screen (i thought it was glass but is has a plastic layer over it)

and the voltage for the LED's is 2V

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:17 pm

UPDATE: 1 x blue LED fitted!!!

took it apart again......have a look at the picture.......

as you can see one LED is fitted but now some of the other green ones have gone dim...........

Image6.jpg

Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:17 pm

FINISHED!!!!!

SWEET!!!

Image7.jpg

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

it will always look a bit dimmer in the middle because of only using 4 LED's. But if you use 6 LED's the blue will be dimmer.

If you think you are up for doing this then THINK AGAIN! You have to be good at soldering thing this small:-

Image10.jpg

Ok... if anyone wants me to mod their phone then drop me a pm... if you buy the LED’s then send me your phone and the LED’s I will do it for a small fee... but I am not sure of the details yet... i.e. if I break your phone.

More colours here…… but I can say if they will work so be warned!

http://www.m-99.co.uk/PhoneAccessories/Blu...D/blue_led.html

LED Mod Guide V1.1.zip

Guest v_patel1

im covered on orange care, but if i opened it all up and sprayed it and changed the LEDS would i still be covered on orange care?

Guest siu99spj

You what?

Think I'm gonna learn English at somepoint :)

I was meant to say that if I did the LEDs first, before painting the case, I might be able to get a new phone based on the fact that the LEDs have died. However, knowing my luck, I'd break something vital when putting it back together!

Thanks for the guide. Maybe I'll do it when I overhaul my phone; hard reset and sort out the current crap all over the place. Maybe also sort out the fact that I can't access the Sound option in Settings (Have to regedit if I need to change sounds).

Guest AngelOfRage

first off, congrats on the mods im not sure if id risk doing it mine though!

the only modding ive done was on my old 8310, which as it has white leds i just slipped a purple Quality Street :) wrapper behind the keypad, viola purple lit keypad.... all i can say is that it looked very snazzy... i tried all colours (orange, pink, blue, yellow, green) but the purple and dare i say it pink :shock: looked the best

its just shame most phones have green leds as standard...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kallep

hey.. how is the signel on your phone after you painted it black..??

some people asked orange if they cold paint there phone's and orange answered that if they did it the phone could not catch the signal??

I guess yours work ok but is there any differens in signal.??

Guest kallep

thanx alot m8...!!

just waiting for my waranty to run out now..! wuhuu

really looking forward to get it painted your looks really nice..!!!

Solgaard/kallep

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sprayed my phone at the weekend, satin black, no probs. Goin' to do this blue LED mod too, have ordered them already.

One thing I'm going to try though is to insert an extra blue LED under the number 5 of the keypad, goin to take ground from one side of LED's and voltage from the other side, this of course will probably result in one side of my LED's being less bright than the other, anyway I'm going to experiment with them and will let you know how it goes.

Later