Voice activated dialling trial

Guest jhew

Guest djthorp
Anyone get a nice little Manual through the post this morning for the voice dial trial?

Yep mine came this morning, from the looks of it all this is is a glorified version of wildfire without the answering facility.

Also does anyone else think that having to dial 600 before using voice activated dialing kinda defeats the object of voice activated dialing.

Guest Mesh121

i made a call to customer support today as my account was locked on site :/ lol the passcode which i entered got muddled up. its a good service only bad thing is ... that when you enter the name on the net (create a contact) the computer other end makes the name sound for you. and the lady p's me by going through all the contacts.

Guest Rob.P

I stuck mine on a speed dial, most voice activate dialling phones you usually have to press and hold something to kick it off.

I downloaded the desktop dialling manager, so that I could import all my contacts from outlook, but it won't have it, after I click on add and update it says there's an error but the text gets cut off so don't know what type of error it is, anyone else experienced this?

[edit] Has anyone actually tried using the service? I tried about 3 numbers or people and all 3 couldn't be connected. Dunno if they having a slight delay in getting it work or something. Can't phone the customer support line yet cause I'm at work. [/edit]

Guest Firaas
Has anyone actually tried using the service?  I tried about 3 numbers or people and all 3 couldn't be connected.  Dunno if they having a slight delay in getting it work or something.  Can't phone the customer support line yet cause I'm at work.

Yeah, and the voice recognition engine rocks. I haven't yet said something that it hasn't understood.

The application which syncs with outlook doesn't work for me - and not for the guy at customer support either, but that's a cool idea too.

Guest Rob.P

Ditto here, I tried it again and it must have been to early or something but it understood all of them since.

Ditto again I phoned up to ask about that, I think everybody has they said they are looking into and gonna let us know. Shame cause that little app was a cool idea.

Definately like this trial full stop compared to the Music Lounge one, ultimate test will be when I'm driving though, see if she recognises my voice ok with the background noise of the car.

Guest Brody

The Outlook download works fine for me :) Just input your phone number and pin as you do when you log in on the voice dialling orange trials site and then play :o

Guest neilg

I got the original (mistake) email for VAD trial and pointed out it said 'Date to be advised' in it, and it has never been made available to me since - think I will live though. Does anyone remember the comedy responses they put into wildfire, wonder if they are still there? I am sure you could make her moo like a cow and things - will try and dig out the link. As for VAD, I would rather have it as a phone function linked to the contacts I have in outlook - Operators want to own this kind of information to make their service more 'sticky' so you are less likely to go to another.....

Guest Brody

This trial is very good, the voice activated dialling works faultlessly! and the assigning of the phone number to a shortcut key makes itidentical to any normal voice dialling application, very impressed :)

Guest Rob.P

Dunno if anyone else has got a response from the customer support about the Outlook prob, but I'll tell you anyway in case you haven't.

They are aware of the problem but can't give an lead time as to when it will be fixed, I did say that I think it is quite a crucial addition to this facility and they seem to know that. They did say they will keep us informed in regards to this, I was quite surprised they phoned back to tell you the truth.

Dunno about the rest of you but I'm finding this service v.useable, so miss voice dial from my Nokia 6210 and was gutted when I found out that this phone didn't have it. Also anyone else going with the conspiracy theory that the reason that the license wasn't bought for the voice rec engine was cause Orange wanted to use their own service?

[offtopic] Brody, now that I have seen a pic of you I know I have seen you on campus a couple of times. [/offtopic]

Guest ClintEastman

I love it!!!!

Had the same import problem with Outlook(2003) :)

But being an office monkey i exported my contacts from Outlook to a CSV, then imported it into Outlook Express, then used the app to import from my Outlook Express and BINGO!!!

It's a really well thought out bit of software (apart from that bug, but hay... That's what were here for!!)

Guest Rob.P

And after all that, the customer service chap for the trial (I presume there is only one) phoned yesterday and said that they have fixed the app, I haven't downloaded it yet, just about too.

Guest pete1312

I'm on this trial but frankly whilst I've received the "attractive" (and no doubt expensive) booklet, I've got no intention of pursuing this further. Just prior to the Orange trial, I tried Fonix. Despite some other users' reports to the contrary, I find Fonix to be a perfect solution, and am no longer interested in experimenting further with "O".

I only use the Fonix service whilst driving, using an Ora hands-free kit (cheap plug-in one), and it works every time without prior training, and without limit to the number of contacts.

For anyone trying Fonix, I would simply reiterate their own instructions, i.e. store your Contacts by Christian Name and Surname, and speak them in a clear "normal speed" voice (with or without Home/Work/Mobile options as applicable). It not only works, but gets better the 2nd time you call someone (by repeating your own voice back).

Just my 2p.

Guest Matt Whitfield

Just had a call from someone from the Voice Activated Dialling Trail @ Orange. They'd noticed I'd not been using the system and wondered if I'd received my trial pack. Actually I've not received it but I've got the info...

I told them I was going to use it next time I'm in the car. Anyway, apparently they want to see how well the system works under load, so get using it people! ;-)

Went to login at the voice dialling trial site. Didnt have a clue/couldn't remember my password. Locked my account! DOAH!! :) I'm shagged b4 I even start. Never mind, guess I'll just have to talk to one of those human things (whatever they are) on the support line doobry :-)

• 2 weeks later...

How are people doing with this?

I'm getting quite used to it, can be a bit difficult when in the car, but general use it's good.

Anyone got the updated software manager thing that will do outlook conversions, I downloaded it when it was released, can't remember where I put it but need to reinstall.