New Software Upgrade at SMART website version 1.50.28

Guest SAPFreak

Guest SAPFreak
SAPfreak,

where is it? i can't find it... "programs>settings>data connections>internet connection" ... only smart gprs, smart wap gprs, and automatic,- no passthrough connection anymore! work connection has passthrough but it doesn't do anything...

i called *888, and i had this inept CSR who kept saying "as far as i know" which means he didn't really know very much. he just kept saying that smart gprs setting was the default. was on the phone with him for nearly an hour including being put on hold, only to be told that "as far as he knows" there's nothing he could do about it.

Rodnav, I still have my list intact (auto, smart wap gprs, smart gprs and pass through connection). All of my config and data is still there.

I don't know if you are willing to hard reset your phone, then probably it'll show up.

Guest SAPFreak
Just to add, the 1.50.28 ROM upgrade does not work on network-unlocked phones. Your phone needs to be locked to the SMART network for you to be able to use this ROM upgrade.

Moreover, an anonymous tip from a SMART employee said that it re-configures the IMEI (I don't even know if this is possible). Thus, if your phone has a v0.98 bootloader, you ran the SPVunlock software, copied the unlock code for later use, upgraded your ROM to v1.04 bootloader, then inserted a SIM other than SMART hoping that you'll get the ENTER YOUR UNLOCK CODE screen... tsk tsk tsk... keep on hoping... because the unlock code that you previously kept won't work. Haven't tried it yet though...

JDimeRolla10, what's the relation of the network-unlocked phone not working with the upgrade software. I have a friend who uses an network-unlocked phone and she was able to upgrade to the new version successfully. As for the IMEI, it is still the same. Can you check with your friend in SMART on the re-configuration of the IMEI and it's impact. I just want to understand.

Thanks so much!

Guest SAPFreak
read this here in modaco

Post subject: Re: How to remove the http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=3976>SIM Lock... PERMANENTLY!    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you in the Philippines (and elsewhere) DO NOT download the new software "upgrade" from Smart's website. ALL it is intended for is to LOCK your phone, and make it unlockable. It installs bootloader 1.04 and any future attempts to downgrade to .98 or .99 FAIL, and SPV unlock will not work, you just get the failure at 66% as others have reported. If anyone has a workaround for this new bootloader, I would appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks in advance. BTW, why would Smart sell a TRIBAND phone, and then lock it so you can't use it in a country that uses the 1900 MHZ band? (go figure)  

is this true? if yes, i managed to write down my unlock code when i first unlocked my SAP, will i still be able to use it?thanks

Probably, SMART wants us to ROAM using our SMART SIM and not transfer to another network provider.

Guest SAPFreak
How about installing uncertified programs? Will it be locked?

I just tested a new game which is uncertified and it didn't gave me any problem. Ergo, it is still open :)

Guest rodnav

@ SAP freak

i've done a hard reset twice and still no pass through internet connection.

i'm trying to edit the internet connections. does anyone know how to do this?

Guest roncom

Got this from the Main Page of the Forum...

--------------------------------------------

Unlocking with the new boot loader (e.g. SMART 1.50)

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:15 pm by florin_m

It is now possible to unlock SmartPhones containing the new boot loader, that are not responding to UNLOCK.EXE.

Firstly you need to have the a USB / Serial Cable and the relevant software:

USB: USBTerm + UNLOCK.EXE

Serial: HyperTerminal + UNLOCK.EXE

Steps:

1. Connect you phone in bootstrap (3 colour screen) mode to your PC

2. Open your terminal program (USB or Serial)

3. Enter the following - 'password SMARTPHONEHTC' - you will now see 'Pass.'

4. Close your terminal

5. Run UNLOCK.EXE and you'll see your unlock code... Enjoy

----------------------------------

Could someone verify if it worked? So that i could upgrade as well.

Thanks.

XOX :shock:

Guest JDimeRolla10
@JDimeRolla10- u said it wont work w/ network unlocked SAP, bakit ung kay mlkanapi na lock?

My friend and I tried several SPVx's that were network unlocked but we kept getting an error when we ran the upgrade software. Hence, we assumed that if your phone is network-unlocked, you won't be able to upgrade to the latest ROM...

Guest JDimeRolla10

JDimeRolla10, what's the relation of the network-unlocked phone not working with the upgrade software. I have a friend who uses an network-unlocked phone and she was able to upgrade to the new version successfully. As for the IMEI, it is still the same. Can you check with your friend in SMART on the re-configuration of the IMEI and it's impact. I just want to understand.

Thanks so much!

My friend and I tried to upgrade our phones to the latest ROM (our phones are both network-unlocked) but to no avail. We also tried it on several other SPVx's but it also didn't work so we assumed that if your phone is network-unlocked, you won't be able to upgrade it to the latest software.

I'll give you an update on the IMEI part. I'll chat again with some of the techies who are assigned on the ADDICT Mobile booths.

Guest ejoya

i successfully upgraded my phone... my phone was network-unlocked.. At first.. my phone had an error 116 and 101.. but i use another pc and it works

!.. my big problem now is that my phone is simlock again :).. the method on the homepage of the modaco DOESNT WORK for me....

Guest ppcsurfr

Hmmm, if I remember it right, I wanred you guys about this a while back.

I mentioned that blatantly posting the procedure will prompt SMART to takecertain actions unless you keep this privately.

Well, I know there will always be a way to break the code if you want to, but this will be a never ending affair too. :)

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Guest dinoalbert

@JDimeRolla10

the upgrade can be done on BOTH network-locked and unlocked phones, as testified by many members here, and as confirmed by my friend to me too. Probably you just dont have any luck :)

But I guess one thing is sure about this new upgrade...it will sim-lock again your phones. I am still using the ROM version 1.3.6.7 ever since...havent had any problem with it yet, everything seems fine....so for me, an upgrade is not necessary yet.

Guest BrAGoL

mine's still network-locked... and won't take chances of upgrading (for now) as far as the reviews i've read here... :wink:

Guest trouble
mine's still network-locked... and won't take chances of upgrading (for now) as far as the reviews i've read here...  :wink:

same here :wink:

Guest ppcsurfr

Better Camera refresh rate.

Seems faster and seems to use less memory... Why? I don't know... but I seem to have more useable memory now.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Guest mlkanapi
:evil:  

f*(*&%

another thing the upgrade did was remove the pass through internet connection. d..... it

anyone else have this problem???

rodnav, do you still have this problem?

I ran in to the same problem you had with loss of the Pass through Internet option. Somehow I managed to restore it while doing the following: I tried to install the Orange Update which just did not progress from the part where it was checking the Smartphone details (hang), then I reinstalled the ROM 1.50.28 again after doing a Hard Reset.

I read somewhere that you can set the Pass through using Work connection but I did not have to do that.

Guest dinoalbert

martin posted a solution for this pass through problem in another thread here:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...&highlight=pass

Goto Microsoft ActiveSynch - options- Rules

Change the Connection to 'Work'.

SPV data connection

Make 'Work connection: Pass through connection'

Internet explorer - menu - option - connections

Untick 'auto detect' and make 'Select Network : My Corporate Network'

It now seems that if you then set the Connection back to 'Internet' in active explorer the 'Pass through connection' re-appears in the 'Internet connection' options on the SPV.

Guest rodnav

@mlkanapi

i got my pass through internet connection back with what martin suggested(no thanks to Smart CSR's).

i'm satisfied with this upgrade again, my SAP is working faster and it doesn't "hang" as often as it did before. as a matter of fact it hasn't frozen on me for the past 4 days which is a record. and the camera does refresh faster. anyone else noticed that the camera icon is different?

Guest mlkanapi
Can anyone please help me get an old bootloader (ver. 0.98) so I can downgrade my phone. Please just email it to me at [email protected]. I would most appreciate it.

You can refer to this article. http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=85927

I followed the instructions and was successful in downgrading back to 1.3.7.8. My phone's unlocked again! :wink: