SPVMan goes V1.0 - 19th July 2003 - Final version

Guest muff

now i see two flower (i think it's flower) and a sort of yellow cake.

my score is 72430 but it's very hard to play now, speed is crazy :) (try and you'll undestand  ;) ).

the problem is not really the high speed but the regularity of the speed that is very (and too) variant.

I'm guessing the flower is actually the galaxian, and cake is the bell :D

which means you are up to areound level 11 or 12 - f**k! didn't think any normal person could get that far (I certainly can't )

I'm going to take another look at what is causing the variance in speed, just to check it's not my code at all

many thanks for the reports, and your help in nailing the sound loop bug

saving of hiscore + game sound state should be in the next version

muff

Guest Coolboy1982

maybe the game could create a little logfile with the highscores, so that when

the .exe is changed through one of your frequent updates the score would stay!

New Version 0.09a (though possibly actual version 1.0)

- hiscores are now saved to a registry value, as is the sound status

- slight change (louder) to fruit sound, and a delay when you eat the fruit now

enjoy, and report any bugs you find

muff

Hi muff

Where are te new versions of the pacman? Is the link updated or do you have a site i can download it from. :oops:

PS does anyone have pics of the game to put on the site?

Guest adrianfox

muff

Great game, what can I say?

Is there any possibility of adding some wave mixing so that the sound effects can play more than one at a time. I am sure there must be some libraries / source code arround out there to do this?

Just out of interest, what "chasing algorithm" did you use for the ghosts?

Adrian

muff

Great game, what can I say?

Is there any possibility of adding some wave mixing so that the sound effects can play more than one at a time.  I am sure there must be some libraries / source code arround out there to do this?

Just out of interest,  what  "chasing algorithm" did you use for the ghosts?  

Adrian

in order to improve the sound effects by mixing them I have to add Fmod (or rewrite it's functionality myself)

that means there will be multiple files in the release (and I hate the idea of that for such a simple game), and the overall filespace the program takes will be larger, and my initial idea behind writing this was to learn to program the SPV + write a quick simple game along the way

now that it looks like I've got a stable version with all the features in (however nasty the code is), I'm planning on going back through the code in order to do various things, one of which is looking at fmod support

the ghost algorithm is just something simple I made up, nothing clever at all, it just does something simple to achieve an interesting game

that's also something I'm going to look at again - it was put in as a place holder until I wanted to do something more complex - I can't find anywhere on the web that mentions the original algorithms, otherwise I'd have included them so that everyone's old 'patterns' would still work (although Dade reliably informs me that his almost works perfectly in the current version)

we'll see, but unless people spot bugs, I'm slowing down the updates until I've added something big

muff

Guest jaknife2000

Well i think its damn fine now, my old hassle of crashing while running after initial copy over, has all cleared up now, and i am happy.

I don't think you really need the mixing of the sounds do you ?

It funs smooth, and fast as it it.

Only real thing i would like to see is a pause button, maybe the voice record button as GNUboy does ?

Or possibly a screen dump button like smartSS does, possibly the *, that way you could still have the internet scoring i guess based on screen dumps, if people really wanted that, plus screen dumps for problems could be done, provided of course the keypad is all still active.

On another note, maybe you should change the name to Muffco, like playing with the Namco name ?

A Muffco production ?

hehe

Guest midnight

muff, this may be of interest to you then....

PacMan had 4 enemies, all of which had their own priorities. One of the ghosts would follow you where ever you went. One of the ghosts would try to intercept you by cutting you off at a future juncture or heading through the tunnel with you. Another one of the ghosts would try head to the nearest power pellet so you couldn't get it and the last ghost (Blinky) would just wander around aimlessly.

http://www.riggall.org.uk/pac.htm

muff, this may be of interest to you then....

PacMan had 4 enemies, all of which had their own priorities. One of the ghosts would follow you where ever you went. One of the ghosts would try to intercept you by cutting you off at a future juncture or heading through the tunnel with you. Another one of the ghosts would try head to the nearest power pellet so you couldn't get it and the last ghost (Blinky) would just wander around aimlessly.

:)

my quick hack, is actually not completely dissimilar to this description, or the code in the link (neither is the rest of my code as it happens)

basically as the ghosts come out of the house they each have a preset point to head for, and when they reach it they set their new destination point as the pacman's location at that point in time, and head for it, and then repeat

the exception is Pokey (Orange) who attempts to catch the player all the time, but he's slower than the player, so mainly acts to drive the player ever forwards

every now and again they go into 'scatter' mode, where they each pick a different corner of the map to head for, and once they reach it they return to their previous behaviour

what I love about the link is the description of using A* algorithms to solve the routes the ghosts take - my code is far, far simpler ;)

I'll tinker with the rules to see if giving them 4 distinct behaviours as you describe plays any better

thanks for the heads up on that

muff

Guest midnight

oh, thats something i noticed, i thouhgt only one of the ghosts could follow you through the tunnel, hence the idea of having a tunnel in the first place :wink:

could be wrong tho (again) hehe

midnight:

just tested the original, and all ghosts can go through the tunnel

and in testing against the arcade machine, and watching ghost behaviour to decide what logic is behind it, it turns out that the rules I've implemented are pretty close, and that they do seem to behave in a very similar way to my code

I'm actually quite suprised

I may still tinker with the code, but on this testing it looks like I may have got it close on my first attempt :)

haven't really decided on a next project for definate yet - I've lived and breathed pacman for the last 5 days and haven't done much else (including work - oops!)

I'm thinking about another retro game such as Space Invaders or Asteroids - something simple - Pacman took a lot of work, more than I'd planned spending on it certainly

of course I may go back to Quake, but we'll see

how Croccy getting on with Smartanoid?

Guest fumaras
I'm guessing the flower is actually the galaxian, and cake is the bell  ;) 

ok :) it's galaxian and bell

but now i see a new form (my score is better now :D ).

It's a sort of white key with blue round at the top.

Thanks for the 0.09a :( with highcore and sound saved and fruit sound is now better (little pause is like the real arcade game ? or ?).

I don't really remember the real arcade game :

is the speed also high at begining (first level) and in next levels (2,3,4,...) ?

PS:

if possible a key for pause the game :wink:

Guest Coolboy1982
haven't really decided on a next project for definate yet - I've lived and breathed pacman for the last 5 days and haven't done much else (including work - oops!)

I'm thinking about another retro game such as Space Invaders or Asteroids - something simple - Pacman took a lot of work, more than I'd planned spending on it certainly

of course I may go back to Quake, but we'll see

how Croccy getting on with Smartanoid?

Well, as there is already a free version of space invaders for the spv

(even if not 100% like the original), it would be nice if you would save

your effords for somethink completely new to the smartphone platform.

Just a suggestion anyway! Of course I'm not your boss ;-) and anyway we

all here will be happy to download and play anything you'll create!

Thanks again for your days of work on pacman!

Guest midnight

asteroids would be cool, should be simple enough to make. that would be a good game to waste a few hours :wink:

oh, and that invaders game for the spv is a bit naff, and bugged (you can lose lives just by pressing a direction key before the level starts or somethin)

personally would prefer phoenix tho, just a little bit too much work for a simple game tho.

Guest Gorskar

Not sure on this one, but in the original - if you ate a powerpill before all the ghosts had spawned then didn't the ones still in the pen stay unaffected by the powerpill?

Not sure on this one, but in the original - if you ate a powerpill before all the ghosts had spawned then didn't the ones still in the pen stay unaffected by the powerpill?

nope, the only ghosts who don't change when you eat a powerpill are the ones that are still eyes, and on their way back to the central pen

Guest adrianfox

muff

here is a quote from the original author of Pacman i dug up from news net re: the chase algorithm

IWATANI: The algorithm for the 4 ghosts who are the enemies of the Pac Man - getting all the movements lined up correctly. It was tricky because the monster movements are quite complex. This is the heart of the game. I wanted each ghost enemy to have a specific character and its own particular movements, so that they all weren't just chasing after Pac Man in single file, which would have been tiresome and flat. One of them, the red one called Blinky, did chase directly after PacMan. The second ghost is positioned a few dots in front of Pac Mans mouth. That is his position. If Pac Man is in the center then Monster A and Monster B are equidistant from him, but each moves independently, almost 'sandwiching' him. The other ghosts move more at random. That way they get closer to Pac Man in a natural way.

Adrian, that's a great quote, were'd you find it????

I'd love to include the actual algorithms they used (although as I said above mine is actually not a bad estimate)

so all details on this are welcome

Guest adrianfox

From my hunt on news net, it seems the original algorithms are elusive. Indeed there is a rumuor that Namco have even lost the original source code.

The only way would be to disasemble the pacman rom as used in MAME - not a task I would relish.